• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Does anyone have Crystal Version?

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
I have a used copy of Crystal from about 10 years ago. I remember when my GameStop had copies of all the GBC pokemon games. And to think, I could have bought Yellow and escaped $100+ for a copy on EBay.

The battery itself works very well, although I've had my save wiped from it. As it is not acceptable to play Pokemon in my household (I still play emulators in secret), my physical copies are in a cabinet in my room.

I guess I'm pretty lucky because all of my games still work, and have all the original save files from Blue to Platinum with the exception of Crystal.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
I had Pokemon Silver, not Crystal.

Also, Ask.com states that Pokemon Red is the rarest Pokemon game out there.
Which I got! Booyah!

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Mine was lost about six years ago back in 2008. Not sure how I lost it, but it was still in perfect condition, though. The battery was working just fine, and there were no scratches on the cartridge at all. If I didn't lose it, I still would've been playing it, probably. xD"

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I had Pokemon Silver, not Crystal.

Also, Ask.com states that Pokemon Red is the rarest Pokemon game out there.
Which I got! Booyah!
Well, possible of the main Pokemon games... ignoring Green, anyway, so maybe out of the main English Pokémon games? Gotta say, I'd imagine other spinoff titles to be rarer than that, and certainly Green should be rarer.

Anyways! I have both Silver and Crystal, although the latter isn't legit (part of a 2-in-1 cart with Telefang passed off as a 'Pokémon Diamond'). Silver battery died as well, sadly. =(

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
I too have a Crystal version. Still have the Box and manual along with it too, since I'm also a Pokemon/Retro game collector. I do know Crystal wasn't as common as the Gold and Silver versions, I remember seeing it VERY limited here in stores. But that may be so because I live in The Netherlands... I guess the game is not that rare, but not very common either :)
I also have Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 on my Nintendo 64, I play these games very often when I have a few days off xD I still enjoy them! :) Best part is, I can play with my trusted Pokemon from my Crystal cartridge in Pokemon Stadium 2 as well!

You can get the intern save battery replaced somewhere though, so you can play and save again? :3

Years
  • Seen Sep 8, 2023
I've only ever seen one copy of it, personally. Granted, not many people I knew as a kid admitted to playing Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
I did own a copy of Crystal, but it went missing somewhere around the house. It's weird to realize how many Pokemon games I've lost throughout the years, and how many copies of each I went through, haha.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
I do have one! I got it long time after I got gold and silver!

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
i have a crystal. i got it for christmas (the one we just had) and i like it better because i like the cartridge, i like Kris, and defiantely the animations. i even changed the battery because when i got it, it stopped saving the next day. but even though i changed the battery, mine won't even turn on. it shows the gameboy *ding* and even the nintendo sign perfectly but won't boot up the game. the screen goes white. im thinking that i left the screw out because it was such a pain getting the screw out so i was like "i'll tape it together" it worked after that but i tried booting it up today and it wont turn on. i started crying and my parents started laughing. they don't understand how since i fixed it and it still wont work, that shatters me. anyone got anything? pointer? tips and tricks? please i really wanna play it,

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
I've never had Crystal myself, however I've watched playthroughs of it, and one of my old friends owned it. I remember being fascinated by the focus on Suicune, since it'd always been my favourite of the trio. I don't remember if that was after I'd caught one in my Silver version, but that'd just always been the case. Apart from a few changes and additions here and there, it isn't too different though, so don't think I'd ever really get it. But that's the case with every third version I guess, haha.

One thing I specifically remember though, was that they'd fixed the cloning glitch. Or at least made it harder to do. Basically, we'd often do battles where we cloned one specific Pokemon to have 6 of them in our party (always did that with my Typhlosion), however my friend wasn't able to do that with her Crystal, so we had to trade them all over to mine and do it from there. hngg effort. So yeahh, I kinda disliked Crystal because of that. Silly kid :D

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 17, 2014
I never owned Crystal I had Gold, but I dont think its really rare.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Well, I have all the 8-bit main series games except Gold, but I have Pinball and a GB Printer to make up for that.
Crystal is nice in being the only Pokemon game in a GBC cartridge — rare or not, it's relatively unique. My particular copy seems somewhat remarkable in that the original battery still works.

Well, possible of the main Pokemon games... ignoring Green, anyway, so maybe out of the main English Pokémon games? Gotta say, I'd imagine other spinoff titles to be rarer than that, and certainly Green should be rarer.
I'd bet the Japanese Red and Blue are both rarer than Green; practically no one (in the West) ever mentions them or even seems aware of them, so perhaps they're less likely to be sought by collectors, leadng more be discarded.

Last edited:

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I still have my Pokemon Crystal - But I'm unsure if it still works, still saves or not. Might try it on my Old GBA SP, since I already traded in my GBC years ago.

Tox

fight me
Years
Yup, I got it for Christmas the year it came out. I played as my sister since it was the first time you could choose a female player character and I had already played as myself in Silver, which had a similar story. It was probably the closest I'd ever gotten to completing the Pokédex and then my cousin overwrited the game and I cried for days. I don't think I've completed the game on that cartridge since, haha.

Back