• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

3rd Gen The Winstrate Family

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
In Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald north of Mauville there was a family of four called the Winstrates. You had to battle them one after another, slightly increasing in difficulty each round. Once you had defeated the whole family, you'd be able to interact with the mother and she'd give you a Macho Brace. There was also another member in the Winstrates whom you can challenge in Victory Road, called Cooltrainer Vito.

Did you manage to defeat the Winstrates? If so, did you know about the Macho Brace that you can obtain? Did you perhaps use any techniques to defeat them? Did you know about the fifth member being in Victory Road- was he difficult to defeat? Get discussing!

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've battled them just so I could train my Pokémon, to be honest, haha. In my first run of Ruby, I had no idea that you were able to obtain Macho Brace from them, as I didn't go inside their house afterwords. After having defeated Pokémon League one day, I was sort of bored and was exploring Mauville City, and eventually went into their house. Then, I was finally able to get a hold of it.

It indeed took an extremely long time for me, but it's not exactly a huge deal, really.

pyx

I will never repeat myself... I will never repeat
Years
Honestly they aren't much of a challenge XD But they are pretty useful for training your team a little before taking on the third gym.

I also recall finding and battling Vito on the Victory road.

Years
I beat them, and was stunned, you see, I watched Advanced Challenge before I played Emerald, so when I saw the Winstrate Family, = stunned {XD}

Years
They weren't that hard of a challenge, except for the fact you can't heal inbetween fights. It's also pretty interesting that their names all started with V.

As for Vito, I don't really recall fighting him given it's years since I last played a Hoenn game.

Kelton2

Yes, That One
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 19, 2015
I never found them that tough, really they were just a easy way to train and I one-shotted almost all of their Pokemon with Marshtomp anyways. Funny thing is is that first time I talked to the person in the house who talks about Vito I thought that Steven was Vito because they said something about the Champion and I missed the line about Steven being the Devon president's son.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I defeated the Winstrates easily enough. My team was already quite high-levelled so I didn't have much trouble defeating them with just one or two Pokemon. As for Vito, I vaguely remember battling some tough guy in Victory Road but didn't actually pay close attention to his name like I normally do for most of the trainers I fight.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I think sometimes I thought they were a bit of a challenge, it really depened on the Pokemon I had at the time. I didn't find them too tough when I solo'd with my starter (since I was extremely overleveled), but whenever I had a team of 2-3 Pokemon I would lose a lot. You would think it would be the opposite, but apparently it wasn't the case haha.

Sirfetch’d

I always found them quite easy and really just an extra way to get a few levels in before taking on the Gym haha. I'd always make sure to go and battle them as soon as I got to Mauville or else I would totally forget about them and miss out on that valuable experience :(

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 3, 2014
They were great EXP and helped so much in trying to take on that Manectric. Any EXP mattered and I loved the Winstrate family for that.

Maybe the grandma will have a Mega-Cham this time :O

ZenonPrototype

Prodigy of Ice
Years
I literally had no idea they even existed until after I had defeated the Elite Four (I wasn't the type to talk to random people). Once I did discover them, I didn't need the EXP or the Macho Brace. I was pretty upset.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Yes i defeated them easily yes i knew the fifth member in victory road i crushed his and his families dreams aww. No strategy i used the macho brace on aggron seeing he was slow already although I did use potions when i finally got to grandma cause then my pokemon started to get weak.

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
Years
When the first time i play Pokemon Emerald, i just challenges them into fight without knowing that i'm gonna challenge all his family members. Its really funny when they calling the next family member to challenge me after they lose. Haha~ i manage to defeat all of them...

Years
I've defeated the Winstrates, although I did so later in the game after I defeated it. Of course I had higher-leveled Pokémon when I took them on, but it got tiring to battle them one after the other with no rests in-between.

Back