• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are they reallly that X-cellent?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Let's talk about battle items. More specifically, 'X' items. (X Arttack, X Speed etc) Did you use them throughout your playthroughs? Or did they rot in your bag? If you did use them, were they reallllly that useful?

Personally, I found no use for them whatsoever. My team did absoloutely fine without them.

How about yours? Discuss!

Last edited:

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I don't like wasting a turn using x-items. I prefer using one of my moves or a HP restoring/ status removing item instead of an X-items. Whenever I find some, I just sell them for a few extra cash.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
No I don't use them, I find them useless. The moment I get them, I straight away sell them.

Years
I used an X Attack on my Riolu during my Gym battle with Cheren in Black 2, and I have to say it saved my life cos he would have taken my entire team out with Work-Up boosted Tackles.

I have to say, X items can be handy when used at the right time.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I use X items when some Pokemon Trainer (like Cheren and Game Freak Morimoto) send out Liepard. So it's no waste of turn if Liepard use Fake Out to my Pokemon, and I could make it to my advantage.

Guy

just a guy
Years
i c wut u did there.

Those items usually rot in my bag until I probably sell them. I've used them a couple of times, just for the heck of it, but I generally find them to be rather useless.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
You know, if I'm gonna rely on a stat boost, I'd rather use a move like Dragon Dance or Quiver Dance and get in more than one stat boost and that way, it's a move on my Pokemon rather than an item I wouldn't be able to use in a link battle. Just another thought.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I've never used them much at all, other than very rarely if I happen to remember to use an X Accuracy for something like a Sand Attack spamming Pidgey. I generally sold them back when there was a limit on bag items, but now I don't bother.

The concept seems pretty good - the benefits of a stat-boosting move without having to use up a move slot - but they work out to just not be that useful. In-game, stat-boosting isn't particularly necessary, since you don't need to sweep, since the AI is dumb as a brick and switching is pretty much risk free. And competitively, when stat-boosting becomes a more desirable strategy, you can't use items anyway.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Because I rarely go to the shop and sell items they just tend to sit there in my bag until that once in a blue moon moment does come around and I go and sell things like Nuggets, Pearls, etc. X-Items then are on that list of things to sell.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I used them once, in Heart Gold, against Red. I sent out Kingdra against his Blastoise, stuffed him full of X items, and swept. It was quite funny actually.

These items don't see much use because most of the time they aren't needed, and in later games there are many good stat-boosting moves. But they can be very useful. Using an item on a Pokémon has priority over anything, any move, even the likes of Gastro Acid which stop you from using items on your Pokémon. So you can use an item like an X Defend and boost your Defense before the opponent attacks, increasing endurance.

If you don't have any stat-boosting moves, these items could have some use, too.

Years
When used at the right time against certain Pokemon, the X items can actually be quite useful. That being said, I can't recall a single time that I've ever used one on my Pokemon. If I want my Pokemon to boost their stats in battle (or lower an opponent's), I'll just stick to the moves that my Pokemon already knows.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I tend to forget them but I do use them when I both remember and see fit. It helps in my case that I've come to favour a defensive approach to battles, which is to say that burning a turn isn't likely to have dire consequences. I personally think Dire Hit is the most useful battle item for general use; most monsters can't naturally boost their critical hit ratio beyond holding a Scope Lens, which of course takes up the held item slot. At the very least, things like Cynthia's Spiritomb make a good case for carrying X Accuracies.

The concept seems pretty good - the benefits of a stat-boosting move without having to use up a move slot - but they work out to just not be that useful. In-game, stat-boosting isn't particularly necessary, since you don't need to sweep, since the AI is dumb as a brick and switching is pretty much risk free. And competitively, when stat-boosting becomes a more desirable strategy, you can't use items anyway.
More people should use the Wonder Launcher.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Personally I think that the X times are a Xtreme waste of time (oh no I didn't. >:()

You're probably better of with just stat boosting moves.

Back