• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fashion!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I know practically nothing about fashion, which certainly shows as I wear the same basic outfit pretty much every day. It's not that I don't care how I dress or that I don't want to look as nice as possible, I just don't know how to choose the clothes to dress nicely or really anything about fashion at all. The closest thing I have to any kind of fashion knowledge is that suits are sexy... right? Even if they aren't I'm not going to stop wearing them at every opportunity possible ;p Although fashion is something I'd certainly want to know more about both for my appearance and as a general curiosity, so how did you guys get into it originally?

Years
Yeah, suits are good. Personally I think they can be a little too formal, but they're still classic. They've lasted this long.

I got into the idea of fashion while I was at a friend's place. It was her roommates who were watching Project Runway and I sort of got sucked in and made a regular thing of going over to watch it. This was also when I started to make some new friends who were more into looking stylish that people who'd been my friends and when I started to have some money of my own. It was also a time when I was going through some changes in my own life and was looking for some way of better expressing myself. It all kind of fell into place. I think the thing that really pushed me over was when I learned there were stores I could actually go to that sold the lolita styles I liked and my vague interest became a real possibility. (Also because of having money. I can't forget that.)

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I used to like project runway, but then it got way too "drama-esque" and I don't like it anymore.. (unfortunately.)

For me, I like simple and classic items.

And sorry Antemortem, but I don't like your hot look. I think it shows a bit too much skin that lowers the class value imo..

I like little black dresses like these personally. They're the ones that suit me best. I wish I could wear long flowy things but I am petite and they tend to drown me in fabric.
Spoiler:

I really like some of Alexander McQueen's works.. very interesting shapes.. some look like they come straight out from a fantasy movie :3 Love it!

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Hi I'm fabulous.

Yeah, I guess you could say I'm sorta into fashion. I'm not gonna pretend that I actively follow it or know what's coming out from which designers, but I tend to be a good judge of what's in and what's not. But that's mostly in the sense that I find it interesting what people are wearing and how they wear it and I'm good at telling people what they look good or don't look good in with that in mind. And, since I don't honestly have the money to keep up with this kinda stuff, I tend to adapt stuff I already own to fit current fashion rather than just buy a whole load of new stuff. So I guess you could say that I come up with ~my own style~ based around what's currently in fashion, generic as it sounds.

AlexOzzyCake said:
how did you guys get into it originally?

With me it honestly just happened by being around people in general. I guess because of that you could say I'm into whatever's fashionable on the smaller scale rather than the larger one. If you're looking for a more 'decisive' idea of it, though, then honestly I'd say that paying attention to your surroundings when you're out shopping or whatever is a pretty good way to go about it. While you're not gonna find the forefront of fashion in your local Sainsburys, next time you go into town or whatever, just notice what's selling in the clothes shops, what's shown on posters, in shop windows on the mannequins, etc. Especially in the higher-end places if you happen to be going through them but honestly anywhere works. I tend to look at mannequins and think "how can I mess with that with what I've got right now?" and I find it works well enough for me.

Kura said:

omfg that's amazing @__@
I think stuff like that can work realllly well if it doesn't seem to be dressing the wearer up as some sort of doll or maid or whatever. It sounds sorta weird but often in dresses like that, especially the second one which you posted, it looks like some weird cross between a schoolgirl and a maid. I don't know exactly how else to describe it other than it looking like that, haha. Almost too neat and petite and just seems a bit awkward I guess.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
My favorite label is Comme des Garcons, but I can't afford their stuff, so I just let 'em inspire me. I love things that are kitschy and over the top, but I most often dress simply and comfortably- tights with a t-shirt and a cute cardigan is me being lazy. I have a ton of nicer clothes, but I usually end up giving them away or using them for sewing projects. I made a fabric dollhouse for my little cousin out of old dresses for Christmas :)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Hi this is related to fashion and I had a question and wanted advice!!

I just bought a pleated skirt (the black one on this page) and some cable-knit tights (these) to go with them. But I'm not sure what kind of top I can pair it with, or if I should be looking now for something to buy to go with it haha. I was considering looking into either a fully button-down blouse or something turtleneck in white...? Really not sure though.

Years
I shouldn't give advice since I'm usually one who needs to receive some, but I'm of the opinion that the only things that really matter in the end are colors. If the colors go well together you can hand wave everything else as your personal taste. If you have something in the same shade as the tights then go with that.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013

I just bought a pleated skirt (the black one on this page) and some cable-knit tights (these) to go with them. But I'm not sure what kind of top I can pair it with, or if I should be looking now for something to buy to go with it haha. I was considering looking into either a fully button-down blouse or something turtleneck in white...? Really not sure though.
I'm envisioning myself wearing like a cute white collared button down with it, tucked in or not, maybe even half tucked in, and maybe a small 90's jean vest or something like this and brown leather jacket over it (see if you can get your hands on this Alexander McQueen one *_* am thinking more this, though). The oatmeal color just adds more to the pallet. I'd wear grey legwarmers over the tights and probably these boots. I don't know how you feel about that, just a winter-y idea. If you're going for something more formal, you could probably find a lovely silk cardigan button down somewhere, with a rounded collar or something and some kind of cute long necklace with megabeads to match. I understand white and "oatmeal," whatever that means, are hard to see together, though, it just depends on your taste...I see it as an addition to the pallet rather than just another shade of white. Maybe a bold turquoise button down would be more your style. Anyway, don't think you can go wrong with a button down as long as you have something to go over it, like a jacket or cardigan. Ooh, consider scarves too.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years

Yeah can make sense since you're going white. Something like a pale pink or pale turquoise may also go well. For something white you may consider going with something with accents like this blouse with the black collar or sleeves?

Just a thought:
Spoiler:

Back