• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Script Help Thread (DO NOT REQUEST SCRIPTS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
So, I'm having a strange issue with showpokepic. Spent the better part of today searching for fixes or anyone having the same problem at all, and can't find anything. This is what it looks like:
attachment.php

Here's the whole script. It uses the player's position to determine which pokeball he's looking at, so I can use the same script on all three of them. I've tried removing that and changing the vars used, and it hasn't helped.
Code:
#dynamic 0x801E9C

#org @main
lock
getplayerpos 0x4000 0x4001
compare 0x4000 0x6
if 0x1 goto @bulbasaurDisplay
release
end

;---------------------------BULBASAUR STUFFS------------------------------
#org @bulbasaurDisplay
cry 0x1 0x0
showpokepic 0x1 0xA 0x3
msgbox @bulbasaurMessage1 0x5
closeonkeypress
compare 0x800D 0x1
if 0x1 goto @bulbasaurChoose
hidepokepic
end

#org @bulbasaurChoose
hidepokepic
givepokemon 0x1 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0
fanfare 0x13E
msgbox @bulbasaurMessage2 0x4
waitfanfare
closeonkeypress
setflag 0x800 ;activate pokemon menu
hidesprite 0x5
setflag 0x1206 
end

#org @bulbasaurMessage1
= Do you want to take\nthe GRASS type BULBASAUR?

#org @bulbasaurMessage2
= \v\h01 received the BULBASAUR!
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
So, I'm having a strange issue with showpokepic. Spent the better part of today searching for fixes or anyone having the same problem at all, and can't find anything. This is what it looks like:
attachment.php

Here's the whole script. It uses the player's position to determine which pokeball he's looking at, so I can use the same script on all three of them. I've tried removing that and changing the vars used, and it hasn't helped.
Code:
#dynamic 0x801E9C

#org @main
lock
compare 0x4000 0x6
release
end

#org @bulbasaurDisplay
cry 0x1 0x0
showpokepic 0x1 0xA 0x3
closeonkeypress
compare 0x800D 0x1
hidepokepic
end

#org @bulbasaurChoose
hidepokepic
fanfare 0x13E
waitfanfare
closeonkeypress
hidesprite 0x5
setflag 0x1206 
end

#org @bulbasaurMessage1

#org @bulbasaurMessage2

This happened to me when I used to hack R/S/E. I'm not sure what the problem is, but just throwing a wild guess out there: Try giving the player the National Pokedex (because bulbasaur is not from the Hoen region) before the "showpokepic" command is executed. I've had this problem before, and I tried everything that I could to fix it but I never tried the National Pokedex.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
So, I have a script which works completely fine except for the fadescreen commands. I want the screen to fade until the end of the script but for some reason it won't stay faded. I even added a pause in there to try to delay when the screen fades back to normal but it won't work. The idea that the script is supposed to execute is unfinished but I wanted to test it before continuing. Can anyone let me know what I am doing wrong? PS. the character starts in black tiles if you need to know.

Spoiler:
Can I advise not to use so many movements? IIRC my scripting days there's a limit to how many movements can be executed in one applymovement for script to work...
It's better to have the OW hidden and then just show it with applymovement =)

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
This happened to me when I used to hack R/S/E. I'm not sure what the problem is, but just throwing a wild guess out there: Try giving the player the National Pokedex (because bulbasaur is not from the Hoen region) before the "showpokepic" command is executed. I've had this problem before, and I tried everything that I could to fix it but I never tried the National Pokedex.
The player already has the pokedex and national dex at this point. =/ I tried it without having the pokedex too, and got the same result. I also just tested it with treecko (used 277) instead of bulbasaur, and got this:
attachment.php

mikefromindyindy

EDM producer/ pokemon hacker
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 27, 2014
I'm trying to add a script (Person Event) in my Pokémon emerald to activate an "in-game" trade with an npc..(ADD a trade, not edit one.) I've looked EVERYWHERE for tutorial's on this and have literally found not one, in fact, its the sole purpose I even created an account at this website..
if anyone could help with this or even point me in the right direction, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
The player already has the pokedex and national dex at this point. =/ I tried it without having the pokedex too, and got the same result. I also just tested it with treecko (used 277) instead of bulbasaur, and got this:
attachment.php

This worked fine for me.
excerpt:
Code:
showpokepic 0x53 0xA 0x3
msgbox @msg 0x5
hidepokepic

The message says something like 'Farfetch'd, the Wild Duck Pokémon. Is this the Pokémon you want?'
You may want to check if the actual sprites aren't corrupted.

I'm trying to add a script (Person Event) in my Pokémon emerald to activate an "in-game" trade with an npc..(ADD a trade, not edit one.) I've looked EVERYWHERE for tutorial's on this and have literally found not one, in fact, its the sole purpose I even created an account at this website..
if anyone could help with this or even point me in the right direction, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Welcome to PC :D
If you're using XSE, then read this.

WARNING: MASSIVE WALL OF TEXT!
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Are you sure it's Treecko? Haven't you accidentally written the number of one of 25 ???s?
I did at first, because I did treecko's actual national dex number, and got the same result. Then I looked up the list of pokemon on diegoisawesome's tutorial thread and it said treecko's number is 277. I also tried 278 just in case, and every time I've gotten the same result.

mikefromindyindy

EDM producer/ pokemon hacker
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 27, 2014
Thanks much for the reponse and effort in trying to help jsziede, but I still don't understand where u insert the pokemon(s) that are getting traded, levels ect.. ive copyed the mauville (ralts for seedot) trade script and have been toying with it for a couple days now.. added my own offset and flag (just for an example), now when I load it into the rom it works, but its the same as the mauville trade (obviously) I just cant figure out how to change the pokemon up for trade.. after I do that I can easily change the texts and stuff.. heres what it looks like..

#org 0x800000
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x1200
if 0x1 goto 0x82159D5
setvar 0x8008 0x0
copyvar 0x8004 0x8008
special2 LASTRESULT 0xFF
copyvar 0x8009 LASTRESULT
msgbox 0x82159E8 MSG_YESNO '"Huh? My POKéMON is cute?\nSure, I ..."
compare LASTRESULT 0x0
if 0x1 goto 0x82159BD
special 0xA2
waitstate
copyvar 0x800A 0x8004
compare 0x8004 0xFF
if 0x1 goto 0x82159BD
copyvar 0x8005 0x800A
special2 LASTRESULT 0x102
copyvar 0x800B LASTRESULT
comparevars LASTRESULT 0x8009
if 0x5 goto 0x82159C7
copyvar 0x8004 0x8008
copyvar 0x8005 0x800A
special 0x100
special 0x101
waitstate
msgbox 0x8215A77 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"Eheheh[.]\nPlease be good to my PO..."
setflag 0x1200
release
end
'---------------
#org 0x2159D5
msgbox 0x8215B17 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"Any POKéMON can be cute if you rai..."
release
end
'---------------
#org 0x2159BD
msgbox 0x8215ACE MSG_KEEPOPEN '"Oh, if you don't want to, that's o..."
release
end
'---------------
#org 0x2159C7
bufferpokemon 0x0 0x8009
msgbox 0x8215A9D MSG_KEEPOPEN '"Huh? That doesn't look anything li..."
release
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x2159E8
= Huh? My POKéMON is cute?\nSure, I knew that.\pBut if you really want, I'm willing\nto trade it to you.\pI'll trade you my [buffer2] for\na [buffer1] if you want.
#org 0x215A77
= Eheheh[.]\nPlease be good to my POKéMON.
#org 0x215B17
= Any POKéMON can be cute if you raise\nit with care and kindness.
#org 0x215ACE
= Oh, if you don't want to, that's okay.\nBut my POKéMON is cute, you know[.]
#org 0x215A9D
= Huh? That doesn't look anything like\na [buffer1] to me.

idk how to make a "spoiler" thing so if someone could tell me, that would be great..

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Thanks much for the reponse and effort in trying to help jsziede, but I still don't understand where u insert the pokemon(s) that are getting traded, levels ect.. ive copyed the mauville (ralts for seedot) trade script and have been toying with it for a couple days now.. added my own offset and flag (just for an example), now when I load it into the rom it works, but its the same as the mauville trade (obviously) I just cant figure out how to change the pokemon up for trade.. after I do that I can easily change the texts and stuff.. heres what it looks like..

Spoiler:

To make a spoiler, have spoiler tags surround the text that you want to hide.
[SPOILER]This is an example.[/SPOILER]

I found a tutorial, but I think that you need to use thingy32 (a hex editor) because the hex editor that I tried couldn't find the names of the Pokémon.

Spoiler:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
attachment.php

Code:
#dynamic 0x801E9C

#org @main
lock
compare 0x4000 0x6
release
end

#org @bulbasaurDisplay
cry 0x1 0x0
showpokepic 0x1 0xA 0x3
closeonkeypress
compare 0x800D 0x1
hidepokepic
end

#org @bulbasaurChoose
hidepokepic
fanfare 0x13E
waitfanfare
closeonkeypress
hidesprite 0x5
setflag 0x1206 
end

#org @bulbasaurMessage1

#org @bulbasaurMessage2

Try this...
Code:
showpokepic 0x1 0xA 0x3
pause 0x1
showpokepic 0x1 0xA 0x3
In theory, although I already proven this, the first pokepic box will display the wrong palletes, and I never actually learned how to fix that.
Although a temporary solution is to quickly hide the first showpokpic command and then add a second showpokepic command.

attachment.php

Make sure you wrote
Code:
showpokepic [COLOR="Blue"]277[/COLOR] 0xA 0x3
instead of
Code:
showpokepic [COLOR="Red"]0x277[/COLOR] 0xA 0x3

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years

In addition to what jsziede has said, ZodiacDaGreat's tool, Trader Advanced, allows you to easily change what Pokemon the game asks for in a trade as well as customising what you will receive in return.

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
Years
I posted this in the thread for the Gen IV move split in Gen III, but I thought I'd ask here as well in case anyone here is familiar with Darthatron's work. I want to try to port his routine for the Physical/Special/Status sprites he designed for FR to Emerald. This is the original post, and this is a post by Jambo51 with some fix suggestions.

Change these bytes:
Code:
@0813A130: 0x2F
@0813A17B: 0x47
@0813A1A0: [Pointer to Routine, plus 1 (one).]

I'm trying to do an Emerald hack and see no one has successfully ported the sprites for Emerald yet (or at least done so and posted it yet). I want to do it myself, but I have a question: what is the purpose of changing those first two bytes? I'm trying to find their Emerald equivalents, but no luck yet. I've tried putting read breaks on them in a FR rom, but never seem to trigger a read so I can't tell what they do.

I have an idea of numbers should work for BPEE, but since I haven't found the right address for the routine pointer in Emerald yet I haven't tested it:
Code:
.MoveBase:  .word 0x0831C898
.number: .word 0x00003258
.CurMoveIndex: .word 0x0201170C
.Move_List_Loc:  .word 0x0201042C
.VRAM:   .word 0x06001800  [B][1][/B]
.SplitImages: .word 0x08E3CFB0 (just where I have it stored)
.Some_Offset: .word 0x0203cf1c  [B][2][/B]
.Return_Addr: .word 0x081C3F6C  [B][2][/B]
[1] I assume this is empty/otherwise unused VRAM used to store the sprites? It doesn't seem to be used in a clean rom.
[2] I have potential 2 addresses in mind here, but I haven't been able to test to see which works, if at all.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
I posted this in the thread for the Gen IV move split in Gen III, but I thought I'd ask here as well in case anyone here is familiar with Darthatron's work. I want to try to port his routine for the Physical/Special/Status sprites he designed for FR to Emerald. This is the original post, and this is a post by Jambo51 with some fix suggestions.

I'm trying to do an Emerald hack and see no one has successfully ported the sprites for Emerald yet (or at least done so and posted it yet). I want to do it myself, but I have a question: what is the purpose of changing those first two bytes? I'm trying to find their Emerald equivalents, but no luck yet. I've tried putting read breaks on them in a FR rom, but never seem to trigger a read so I can't tell what they do.

I have an idea of numbers should work for BPEE, but since I haven't found the right address for the routine pointer in Emerald yet I haven't tested it:
Code:
.MoveBase:  .word 0x0831C898
.number: .word 0x00003258
.CurMoveIndex: .word 0x0201170C
.Move_List_Loc:  .word 0x0201042C
.VRAM:   .word 0x06001800  [B][1][/B]
.SplitImages: .word 0x08E3CFB0 (just where I have it stored)
.Some_Offset: .word 0x0203cf1c  [B][2][/B]
.Return_Addr: .word 0x081C3F6C  [B][2][/B]
[1] I assume this is empty/otherwise unused VRAM used to store the sprites? It doesn't seem to be used in a clean rom.
[2] I have potential 2 addresses in mind here, but I haven't been able to test to see which works, if at all.

Those two bytes are the hex representation of bx r5. Meaning, that his change changes the pointer that was loaded into r5 earlier, and now you are branching to that address.

The vram should be the same, as that is GBA Hardware based, and not game specific. That is the actual location that the screen reads images from, meaning you are writing the images directly to the screen.

The RAM offsets (02XXXXXX) are going to be different, so you need to find where they are the same. The current move index should be easy. Just use the cheat finder in VBA to find RAM bytes that always display the current move.

The return address is returning to the routine which was branched. You will have to find the routine by searching for similar bytes in a hex editor.

Edit: This is in the wrong thread. This goes in Simple Questions.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2013
hi, i have a script to give a zubat as a starter, the script works fine only when compiled it gives a nidoran. I looked up the hex value for zubat in the stdpoke.rbh file, and its 0x29, but when compiled xse changes that to 0x1D. what am I doing wrong?

here's the script
Spoiler:

karatekid552

Years
hi, i have a script to give a zubat as a starter, the script works fine only when compiled it gives a nidoran. I looked up the hex value for zubat in the stdpoke.rbh file, and its 0x29, but when compiled xse changes that to 0x1D. what am I doing wrong?

here's the script
Spoiler:

Why would you ever give Zubat as a starter??? You must not have grown up without Flash in Dark Cave. /me shudders....
----

Anyways.XD Read this: http://www.romhackersonline.com/showthread.php?t=14110-Flags-Vars-and-Script-Tiles

That will help with some other issues in your script. Your issue does not happen to me. It compiles fine in my case. Make sure you are using XSE 1.1.1 or the version found on Gamer2020's tools thread.

Edit:
Code:
#include stditems.rbh
#include stdpoke.rbh

'---------------
#org 0x3B4D84
faceplayer
lock
hidesprite LASTTALKED
fanfare 0x13E
msgbox 0x83B4DCB MSG_NORMAL '"[player] found a /nZubat!"
givepokemon PKMN_ZUBAT 0x5 ITEM_NONE 0x0 0x0 0x0
waitfanfare
setflag 0x1000
setflag 0x800
msgbox 0x83B4DE1 MSG_YESNO '"Would you like to give a nickname ..."
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 call 0x83B4DC4
closeonkeypress
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x3B4DC4
call 0x81A74EB
return

'---------------
#org 0x1A74EB
fadescreen 0x1
special 0x9E
waitstate
return

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x3B4DCB
= [player] found a /nZubat!

#org 0x3B4DE1
= Would you like to give a nickname to Zubat?

This is what it compiled to in my test rom.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Try this...
Code:
showpokepic 0x1 0xA 0x3
pause 0x1
showpokepic 0x1 0xA 0x3
In theory, although I already proven this, the first pokepic box will display the wrong palletes, and I never actually learned how to fix that.
Although a temporary solution is to quickly hide the first showpokpic command and then add a second showpokepic command.
I hate to say it, but there's no difference whatsoever. Copied it exactly as you wrote it.

Edit: If I display the picture of one pokemon, and then show another afterward, only the first one is messed up, like you said... but it only works if the two pokemon are different.

Make sure you wrote
Code:
showpokepic [COLOR=Blue]277[/COLOR] 0xA 0x3
instead of
Code:
showpokepic [COLOR=Red]0x277[/COLOR] 0xA 0x3
Omg, I'm so dumb... I told it to show pokemon 600-something. lol

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2013
Does anyone know how to change which map the player spawns in? I know the "sethealplace" command (I think that's what its called) but how do I change which map it makes you come to?

karatekid552

Years
Does anyone know how to change which map the player spawns in? I know the "sethealplace" command (I think that's what its called) but how do I change which map it makes you come to?

That is the command that will change where you go when you whiteout after losing a battle. It has preset locations:

FireRed:
0x01 = Player's House
0x02 = Viridian City
0x03 = Pewter City
0x04 = Cerulean City
0x05 = Lavender Town
0x06 = Vermilion City
0x07 = Celadon City
0x08 = Fuchsia City
0x09 = Cinnabar Island
0x0A = Indigo Plateau/Pokemon League Entrance
0x0B = Saffron City
0x0C = Route 4/Mt. Moon Entrance
0x0D = Route 10/Rock Tunnel Entrance
0x0E = One Island
0x0F = Two Island
0x10 = Three Island
0x11 = Four Island
0x12 = Five Island
0x13 = Seven Island
0x14 = Six Island

^Notice Seven and Six Island are switched

Emerald (Probably the same as RS):
0x01 = Player's Room (male)
0x02 = Player's Room (female)
0x03 = Petalburg City
0x04 = Slateport City
0x05 = Mauville City
0x06 = Rustboro City
0x07 = Fortree City
0x08 = Lilycove City
0x09 = Mossdeep City
0x0A = Sootopolis City
0x0B = Ever Grande City (Victory Road)
0x0C = Littleroot Town (left)
0x0D = Littleroot Town (right)
0x0E = Oldale Town
0x0F = Dewford Town
0x10 = Lavaridge Town
0x11 = Fallarbor Town
0x12 = Verdanturf Town
0x13 = Pacifidlog Town
0x14 = Ever Grande City (Pokemon League)
0x15 = Southern Island Edit: <-OMG
0x16 = Battle Frontier

Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2013
What if I wanted to make the player spawn in the middle of Pallet town, for example? Thanks for the list of locations!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back