• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon City Tile Mapping

Years
I've been toying around with tile art for a while, and I'd like some feedback, both good and bad on my first "map" if you could call it that. I'd also appreciate any suggestions to help make it better.

This is supposed to be the makings of a modern type pokemon world......offices, strip malls, apartments, etc. More or less what a pokemon city would look like if it were in fact real, and this is a small snapshot of a piece of it.

The building seen is meant to be a strip mall that sells souveniers, specialty pokeballs such as FireBalls and StoneBalls,and lastly sells pokemon food of all kinds, including gourmet food.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
The colour of the shop and the pavement are too identical.
It kinda makes it seem like there is no buildings.

You should change either the pavement or the buildings pallets.

Years
Hmmm, point taken. I altered the building pallet to more of a light brown color, almost beige looking. I wanted to keep the color neutral since the buildings are supposed to be made of concrete wall panels.

Years
Many of the trees feel out of place, and it's odd how the building is surrounded by trees. Perhaps adding some sidewalk tiles, which I am assuming is missing. Make it different than the pavement.

And it's weird how there are two lines of trees from the bottom areas (unless this is a placeholder, then ignore me. ;D)

Years
Firstly, I appreciate the feedback from the two folks that have responded.

Oftentimes in a big city, there's trees of some sort to add a little greenery, and that's what I was going for. In the revision, I took the sidewalk trees away, and added a planter instead. In addition, I took some of the saturation away from the tree pallet. All the other trees are more or less placeholders, and I really wanted to see how the colors meshed with the colors of the strip mall, asphalt, etc. Ultimately, I think the trees themselves might be useful for a city park area. Out of curiosity, do you think the trees by the sidewalk could work if they're smaller, say about single story tall?

On the sidewalks, I'm not really sure how to change that. The stone bricks along the pavement were supposed to be the interface between road and sidewalk, but I don't really know how to improve it. Possibly having one pattern for a pedestrian sidewalk, and a different pattern for non-pedestrian traffic? Suggestions?

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
actually the amount of trees you've got there and the way they are placed would not occur in a city. Cities would rather be filled with housing areas and more shops rather than trees.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
Also, the trees look a bit... linear? If it's possible, I think it would look better if they were arranged in a more natural way ^^ But I think changing the buildings color to cocoa/tan made it look 10x better.

Back