• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What should this generation's "nickname" be?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I think I've asked this in the chat some time ago, but I wanted to make a thread that we can sorta further indulge it, annnd have more people answer to bring out more possible answers! In any case, generations were very commonly referred to by names coined by the fans. The list are as followed:

• Gen I - the Color Generation
  • Gen II - the Metal Generation
  • Gen III - the Advance Generation
  • Gen IV - It is commonly referred to as the '3D' Generation, some called it the 'Gem' Generation.
  • Gen V - the Monochrome Generation

What do you think that the fans (or yeah, us) should call this generation or Pokemon X, Y, and possibly Z?

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
I'm assuming we'll probably go with the Genetic generation, or less likely but more accurately the Chromosomal Generation.

Guy

just a guy
Years
My idea was the XYZ Generation, but that's dependent on whether or not a Pokémon Z actually happens. There's also the Alphabet Generation or the two titles Yuoaman mentioned that come to mind.

Honestly, with only knowing so little, I think it's still too early to give it a title just yet.

Years
  • Seen Sep 26, 2013
The Axis generation? I know 3D generation is already sort of taken by the fourth, But i wouldnt neccesarily call that 3d, i mean like, 3rd gen also was kind of 3d, and when i think of 3d, i would think of this Gen befor of the 4th

Sir Codin

The Sex Generation? ...well, X and Y chromosomes do determine what your gender will be.

Okay, I'm kidding...Chromosomal Generation sounds neat to me, but I have to admit, Axis generation might be the thing if Z version ever gets released.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
It makes more sense to call gen VI the 3D generation than calling gen IV that, honestly. But oh well. I can see it being Genetic Generation, if the genetics thing is true, but idk yet. Plus you have to account for any possible remakes that might show up. And NO I don't want to be bombarded with RS remake speculation by mentioning it. Ain't nobody got time for that.

But idk, without knowing about the full generation, which would include the deluxe version(s) and possibly remakes, I don't think we can really call a nickname for it just yet.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I didn't even realize that the gens had nicknames after "Advanced." Actually, I had heard of gen 4 being referred to as the "Dual" generation, since it was on the DS...and now that we've got X and Y on the 3DS, I think gen 4 being "Dual" and 6 being "3D" makes a lot more sense.
Granted, these are just fan terms so there's really no way to settle such a matter, especially if there isn't a near-unanimous name for gen 4--let alone gen 6, which we have no idea what it's about yet. It might be best to wait on the subject, unless we're gonna just call it the "3D" gen.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Why is IV called 3D and gem... Gen III also gets called the gem generation, and this new gen takes 3D (Red,Blue, and Green represent 3D so even if we get gen III remakes it'll still fit)...poor gen IV needs it's own special name...

Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2013
This is new and exciting and slightly edgy but how bout the...Sixth Generation! Controversial, I know.

Sir Codin

Problem with "3D generation" is, all generations after it (and let's face it, there will be more) will most likely be in 3D as well, so 3D would end up being confusing and too all encompassing technically.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I thought the Alphabetic Generation and something else in the other thread.

I'd like to call it that but with R/S remakes probably being in this generation... chances are something won't apply to both. Unless it's just outright called the 3DS Generation, although that'll be confusing when Generation 7 is here (although that's a longggg way away!)

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I'd actually like to see a name like "the Axis Generation" or "the Chromosome Generation" for Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. 'Cause X and Y could either refer to the dimensions of Width and Height in Axis, or it could refer to genetics in where X and Y are used.

But we'll never know until we hear about Xernias and Yveltal's purpose in the games are, which probably won't be until later on in the year. Maybe they might be keeping that information a secret until the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2013 (E3 2013) that's bound to occur sometime in June this year?

Back