• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Spoiler:

@Ryokan
I fixed that park and "unified" the flower choices and I definitely like it better. Thank you, not harsh at all.

@Saving Raven
Enlarged the pond a bit. Yeah, it strange how they look goo together. Mart and PC tiles are saurav's

@joeyhugg
I just like doodads, maps few empty without them to me.

Now with Pallet town, tried to tone down the doodadage in the remapping.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

XmarkXalanX

Shadow Master
Years
I already posted this map in my game's thread, but more criticism can be obtained here.

Papaya Town
View attachment 69173

The area within the fence has Cut-able trees and Headbutt-able trees, so it doesn't look so empty in-game. The same goes with the area to the Southeast of the Town.

Any suggestions on what to improve upon?

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
I already posted this map in my game's thread, but more criticism can be obtained here.

Papaya Town
View attachment 69173

The area within the fence has Cut-able trees and Headbutt-able trees, so it doesn't look so empty in-game. The same goes with the area to the Southeast of the Town.

Very good for a new mapper. Your trees are naturally placed and the tiles compliment each other.

You should clear out some empty space, though. Add some details around the empty areas such as shrubs, more trees, fencing, a bench, etc. You should try to mix in some water features if you can. Another way to add more detail - since your map is on a cliff, add more raised areas or rocks around the area, unless you meant this to be some kind of town built on a plateau, which is fine if you are adding some background information to the land for your game.

Finally, that lowering of elevation on the left side is perfectly straight from top to bottom. Unless story-driven, you could change the direction of it and make it wavy.

All else is amazing. This looks really good for someone who is new to the mapping world. You have jumped ahead of other new mappers in some aspects. Well done! Make some edits and post it again for more criticism and maybe try a new map.

XmarkXalanX

Shadow Master
Years
Very good for a new mapper. Your trees are naturally placed and the tiles compliment each other.

You should clear out some empty space, though. Add some details around the empty areas such as shrubs, more trees, fencing, a bench, etc. You should try to mix in some water features if you can. Another way to add more detail - since your map is on a cliff, add more raised areas or rocks around the area, unless you meant this to be some kind of town built on a plateau, which is fine if you are adding some background information to the land for your game.

Finally, that lowering of elevation on the left side is perfectly straight from top to bottom. Unless story-driven, you could change the direction of it and make it wavy.

All else is amazing. This looks really good for someone who is new to the mapping world. You have jumped ahead of other new mappers in some aspects. Well done! Make some edits and post it again for more criticism and maybe try a new map.

The town is built on the edge of a canyon, there will be another town on the opposite side of the canyon as well. The concept art for the region below shows what I mean.

Region Concept

I didn't realize how straight I made the ledge though, I'll fix that next. Once I obtain some more decorative tiles (benches, lightposts, etc.) I'll fill some of that empty space.

Thank you for the suggestions. I've got other maps in this thread and in my game's thread if you would like to give some criticism on them. Links: 1 2 Kiwi Village Coconut Town Coconut Well Zoantharia Tunnel BF1 Elderberry Town

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023

Papaya Town
View attachment 69173

Randomize the mountain tiles on the left rather than making it all straight and stuff.

XmarkXalanX

Shadow Master
Years

Randomize the mountain tiles on the left rather than making it all straight and stuff.

Randomized the canyon sides a bit, added a few decorations, and changed some tiles in the fenced in area.

View attachment 69180

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
Randomized the canyon sides a bit, added a few decorations, and changed some tiles in the fenced in area.

View attachment 69180

I think it'd look a lot better, simply by making all the roads 3 tiles wide, instead of 2.

And, you should make the entrance to the town a LOT less wide. Narrow it down with trees.

Otherwise the map is really pretty good!

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022

View attachment 69180

View attachment 69181

The map looks much better with your additions, but could use a tad bit more. I have marked around on your map some. In the yellow areas, try and add some more vegetation such as flowers or shrubs to help add some more character, but don't go overboard with it, just scatter something out there. In the red shaded areas, if you have the tiles, add some kind of bench or fencing. If you do decide to go with some fencing, leave several open spots so it won't decrease mobility too badly.

I think it'd look a lot better, simply by making all the roads 3 tiles wide, instead of 2.

I like tImE's idea also. Your dirt path could be a tile wider to help push out some of that open area of grass.

Last edited by a moderator:

XmarkXalanX

Shadow Master
Years
View attachment 69181

The map looks much better with your additions, but could use a tad bit more. I have marked around on your map some. In the yellow areas, try and add some more vegetation such as flowers or shrubs to help add some more character, but don't go overboard with it, just scatter something out there. In the red shaded areas, if you have the tiles, add some kind of bench or fencing. If you do decide to go with some fencing, leave several open spots so it won't decrease mobility too badly.

I like tImE's idea also. Your dirt path could be a tile wider to help push out some of that open area of grass.

I tried widening the paths, but for this town, it just didn't look right to me. But I narrowed the entrance as per tImE's suggestion, and added some more decorations in areas that were somewhat sparse.

View attachment 69182

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years

View attachment 69180

So there are a few things, which have been pointed out, but as we all have different styles, I figured I would add in my two cents as well.

In the spoiler is a picture of your map with key points I have highlighted.

Spoiler:

1. Fix this. Even if your player does not see it, it is sloppy. leaving it there speaks volumes about your dedication to mapping and as you force yourself to fix these issues regardless of whether or not your player will actually see them, your attention to detail will naturally grow.

2. Avoid this. As previously stated, your cliff is straight and it looks terrible. Adding expanses on the lower end helps, but not so much when the player can hardly see them and the part they actually do see is this straight edge. Either patch this hole with trees limiting the ability of the player being able to actually see it, or get rid of the straight edge. These are the only 2 screens where your player gets to see the cliff on this map and both of them are straight... it leaves for a poor map.

3. Avoid flowers sitting by their lonesome on the open. This area is a path and while it is not laid out with path tiles, it is walking space for the player to get to point A and point B. Logically, this flower is probably not going to exist in middle of a path.

4. This sign is a huge mistake. Nothing should ever be right up next to a door like that. in front of the door, aim to keep at least 1 tile open in either direction of the tile in front of the door. Moving the sign over 1 tile to the left, makes it look awkward, I understand this, but this is where tile selection becomes very important. You want tiles that compliment other tiles. This sign does not compliment any tiles as far as buildings are concerned. It is a sign that is best kept away from buildings because it leads to awkward placement like your map shows.

5. Try to avoid lining trees like this. I understand you want a natural feel to the map, but the way these trees are laid out is bad at conveying a natural feel. Cluster trees in situations like this, don't line them up.

6. This is a classic example of trying to make a natural break into a hidden grove gone bad. It looks horrendous to actually navigate. Removing the tree at the top of the circle, will go a long ways... I promise. If you move to the lower left of the map you will see a strikingly similar situation with your trees. and it falls prey to both mapping mistakes 5 and 6.

Also, a brief not about your twigs.

As someone who used Dew's sticks and twigs for a long time, they are best kept at the base of a tree. The tiles are big, and compared to an PC or NPC, they are sticks you have to jump over or walk around. They are more like logs, which means they are probably not passable in game without going around. This is why I kept them near the bases of the trees. it looks more natural and does not obstruct a path. It looks really bad when your player gets to walk over tiles like that.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
I tried widening the paths, but for this town, it just didn't look right to me. But I narrowed the entrance as per tImE's suggestion, and added some more decorations in areas that were somewhat sparse.

View attachment 69182

Now you getting it pretty good! I understand your point about the paths. Remember this: in mapping, it matters more what the beholder thinks of his own map when it is completed or near completion. The suggestions we provide here are to be taken with a grain of salt. In the end, it is what looks best to you that matters, since it is your art. Just take the criticism and see if it helps your maps improve in your own opinion.

XmarkXalanX

Shadow Master
Years
So there are a few things, which have been pointed out, but as we all have different styles, I figured I would add in my two cents as well.

In the spoiler is a picture of your map with key points I have highlighted.

Spoiler:

1. Fix this. Even if your player does not see it, it is sloppy. leaving it there speaks volumes about your dedication to mapping and as you force yourself to fix these issues regardless of whether or not your player will actually see them, your attention to detail will naturally grow.

2. Avoid this. As previously stated, your cliff is straight and it looks terrible. Adding expanses on the lower end helps, but not so much when the player can hardly see them and the part they actually do see is this straight edge. Either patch this hole with trees limiting the ability of the player being able to actually see it, or get rid of the straight edge. These are the only 2 screens where your player gets to see the cliff on this map and both of them are straight... it leaves for a poor map.

3. Avoid flowers sitting by their lonesome on the open. This area is a path and while it is not laid out with path tiles, it is walking space for the player to get to point A and point B. Logically, this flower is probably not going to exist in middle of a path.

4. This sign is a huge mistake. Nothing should ever be right up next to a door like that. in front of the door, aim to keep at least 1 tile open in either direction of the tile in front of the door. Moving the sign over 1 tile to the left, makes it look awkward, I understand this, but this is where tile selection becomes very important. You want tiles that compliment other tiles. This sign does not compliment any tiles as far as buildings are concerned. It is a sign that is best kept away from buildings because it leads to awkward placement like your map shows.

5. Try to avoid lining trees like this. I understand you want a natural feel to the map, but the way these trees are laid out is bad at conveying a natural feel. Cluster trees in situations like this, don't line them up.

6. This is a classic example of trying to make a natural break into a hidden grove gone bad. It looks horrendous to actually navigate. Removing the tree at the top of the circle, will go a long ways... I promise. If you move to the lower left of the map you will see a strikingly similar situation with your trees. and it falls prey to both mapping mistakes 5 and 6.

Also, a brief not about your twigs.

As someone who used Dew's sticks and twigs for a long time, they are best kept at the base of a tree. The tiles are big, and compared to an PC or NPC, they are sticks you have to jump over or walk around. They are more like logs, which means they are probably not passable in game without going around. This is why I kept them near the bases of the trees. it looks more natural and does not obstruct a path. It looks really bad when your player gets to walk over tiles like that.

Thank you for your siggestions. I think I'll address each of your points individually, in order.

1) I honestly thought that I fixed that. Haha. I just changed that for the next screenshot.

2) There are two Headbutt-able trees there. I just didn't get to changing the overworld sprite for them yet. So the player can't get to the ledge there. The events just aren't shown in the screenshot.

3) That flower was remedied in the latest screenshot that I previously posted. You should be able to see it in the following screenshot.

4) I moved it down towards the corner. To keep it away from the house. The house is for a Tree Guy, so I figured a wooden sign would work better than a mailbox or other sign.

5) I removed the right-most tree from here, as it wouldn't look good in a cluster with the newer decorations.

6) There is a Cut-able tree to keep the player from entering the grove without Cut.

7) I moved the twig piles to below the trees.

Thank you again for your suggestions.

Newest Screenshot
View attachment 69183

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Already looking miles better.

Too many flowers and too much fence.

My issue with the headbutt trees by the cliff is that they can still see the cliff. You want to take what your player can and cannot see in a screen size window anywhere on the map. The problem is that they can still see the straight cliff edge.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years

See, this is the problem with getting help from many people at the same time.
It feels like too many cooks for the same soup.

The map looks better than it did at first, but I feel it's become rather messy now.

Try to find a good midwaypoint between
http://www.pokecommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=69180
and
http://www.pokecommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=69182

The first one is a little too empty, but the second one has a little too many flowers everywhere.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Thank you for your siggestions. I think I'll address each of your points individually, in order.

1) I honestly thought that I fixed that. Haha. I just changed that for the next screenshot.

2) There are two Headbutt-able trees there. I just didn't get to changing the overworld sprite for them yet. So the player can't get to the ledge there. The events just aren't shown in the screenshot.

3) That flower was remedied in the latest screenshot that I previously posted. You should be able to see it in the following screenshot.

4) I moved it down towards the corner. To keep it away from the house. The house is for a Tree Guy, so I figured a wooden sign would work better than a mailbox or other sign.

5) I removed the right-most tree from here, as it wouldn't look good in a cluster with the newer decorations.

6) There is a Cut-able tree to keep the player from entering the grove without Cut.

Newest Screenshot
View attachment 69183

might as well put flowers in checkered pattern on every single grass squares

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022

Newest Screenshot
View attachment 69183

Excellent! I wouldn't change anything else. If you are happy with it at this point, don't make any more changes.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Next to the red house, there is an empty and abrupt corner, across from the lamp post. Try and do something there, plain corners like that can lead to a lot of empty looking space in game.

If you can help it, try not to have such straight paths.

If you go on trails or walk paths in the real world, they are never just straight like those paths.

Here is a map of Pallet Town I made somewhat recently:

Spoiler:

As you can see, the path looks more rugged. It gives it am or natural feel. When the player walks along those, they also do not feel the need to follow it exactly, because they can still be on the trail.

Also, try to pick up some ruffled grass tile to help busy places in the grass where there are not flowers. It helps you from overdoing the flowers or rocks while still letting you keep things busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back