• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Touch Screen?

tj4bigred

Instant Classic
Years
In Black and White, the bottom screen of the DS always had your C-Gear, whether On or Off. This was one thing that irritated some people.

Do you think Black and White 2 will bring any improvement to what the touch screen can be used for, at least to help the player out some more?

Personally, I'd like the option of being able to replace the C-Gear on the bottom screen with key items or a menu like in HGSS.

EarthWolfblade

Returning breeder
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 19, 2013
[SIZE="a"]Agreed. I'd like to see the HG/SS style and maybe put a c-gear option onto the side[/SIZE]

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I think the C-gear will probably be the bottom screen again, but you never know, the C-gear could get upgraded/enhanced or something. I wouldnt mind being able to use the touch screen more an having menu options being there like in HG/SS that was nice.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
Meh, I was thinking about that, and it'd probably be pretty useful to do something like that. I could kinda care less though, now that I think about it; I always kinda though the touch screen was a gimmick, even now. I guess since we have it, might as well use it.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
Years
I don't think the bottom screen will have too much changes, but i'm sure they will add new features to the c-gear. Even if they had the option to use the touch screen to navigate, I prefer using the buttons and D-pad to move and use commands.

Years
I don't think there will be any major additions to the touch screen capabilities in B2/W2, but I am guessing there will be some improved functionality. C-Gear will still use it, I am sure.​

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
That C-Gear has either got to gain a lot of functionality (Poketch-style apps) or it needs to be swapped with the main menu. In its current form, the C-Gear simply isn't useful enough to warrant being on the touch screen in lieu of the menu. And its battery-hogging tendencies (unless you remember to tell it not to start up each and every time you power on your game, which is a pain in and of itself) aren't winning any points in its favor, either. Default should be "off" with the main menu in its place.

I don't think GF will make this change, but IMO it's one that needs to be done.

Beth

DEAD ACCOUNT
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2012
I hope so. I never really got into Wifi stuff (Or forums for that matter, which is why I'm a newbie haha).
I want that sprint button back and having registered items, like, right there. I'm lazy :p

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I personally don't think these sequels will have different features for the touch screen. :[ It would be nifty to have the Start Menu options though, and when flipped, all of your registered items from your bag (for teh lazy) would be shown.

Years
I really hated the C-Gear, I thought it was pretty pointless 99% of the time.
But I'd like to see either the Poketch (that Marking Map was really useful!) or the menu, like in HG/SS.

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
I agree with Totodile42 about the Poketch. It was useful, expecially for legendary hunting. However, I hope it would be better organized-I could barely find what I wanted among all those apps.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
C-Gear was horrible. Kept mine off always.

I would love if the touch screen in BW2 had a menu like in HGSS. That was a nice menu, nice and organized.

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
If you didn't wireless or use the Dream World at all, then the C-gear was POINTLESS. I hated it, and as I said before it would do well to be replaced with a different function.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I found the C-Gear completely pointless and useless. I have my doubts that GameFreak will actually change the touchscreen to something more useful, but I'd love it if they did. What HeartGold and SoulSilver did with their touchscreen was a big step in the right direction, but Black and White completely erased that when they gave the C-Gear its place instead.

I like Elite Overlord's proposal of having the C-Gear default be "off," while the main menu takes its place on the touchscreen instead. That would be a much better use of the touchscreen in B2/W2 in my opinion from what we had in Black and White.

Incepticon

The Fakemon Spriter
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 28, 2012
I really didn't like it that the C-Gear was the only think on the Touch Screen. I think they should have the option of opening it up along with other features.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I wish that it did, it kind of annoyed a bit at times...Perhaps they could add new features like a versus seeks which works even when off, that would make it a bit more allowable in my opinion.

blue

gucci
Years
Yeah, it irritated me that sometimes I'd accidently tap one of the features on the C-Gear and it would bring up another feature, I'd like to see a HGSS style touch screen where it has tabs with one being C-Gear the other being Running Shoes and a third being your selected/registered Key item because that was the best layout IMO.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
The only thing I'm hoping for is they bring back the HGSS touch screen. When I first started playing that, I thought it was the dumbest thing ever. Then when I started playing my White version, and didn't have it, I realized just how useful it was and how much I relied on it when I was playing through my SoulSilver version. So I really just hope something like that --anything-- was there. I don't really use C-Gear even though I have the ability to access all the features.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Well, like Nick said the menu was pretty convenient, but if they're gonna do that I hope they'll make it look a bit less.. childlike haha.

Back