• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When will you quit playing Pokemon?

At what age?

• Total voters

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
I will never ever stop Playing, Pokemon has been a part of my whole life and it would be sad to ever have to let it go.

IWearHatsIndoors

They're comfy and easy to wear
Years
Pokemon was the first game I ever touched. It opened something up for me. It was the best introduction to video games I ever needed.
I think I'll keep it with me for as long as I can.

Plasma Prince N

Full-time Pokémon Master.
Years
I doubt I'll ever stop, it's one of the few things that I really enjoy doing no matter what the situation is. I'll likely play it until I don't have a system to play it on anymore, haha.

Turboblaze

Blazing Aura
Years
I play it less and less as time goes on but I think I still have a few more years left in me. Plus, I still gotta wait for the RSE remakes.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
I don't plan on quitting Pokemon. MapleStory? As soon as I get my mains to max level (Level 200,) but Pokemon? Well even though there might be games I won't play due to bad decision making, I will still play older generations.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Yikes. Too late. :X Also...

A lot of the posts in here are over-exaggerating, but to be fair it's not really possible to give an accurate or proper response to this topic. You never know when you'll quit something, so all the "'til death" posts...they could end up quitting the franchise as early as next year.

I didn't think I'd quit early myself, especially since I was hooked with competitive battling, but it happened, and it was for the best. A cousin who's in college planned to stop before B/W's announcement but ended up getting the game anyway. (Though I think he stopped for good now. lol)

Honestly, and forgive me for saying this, but I think it's a bit silly to believe you won't quit at an early age, or ever, given that it's almost guaranteed you'd be busy with far more important things the more you grow up...well unless you're that gullible. And when you think about it, it's for the best. It's only natural as well, it's in the human nature to change interest and move on.

Basically, it's impossible to predict when you'll quit. However, I think a good question will be...should you lose interest or take a break, would you come back to it? That's something that's worth wondering about.

Quoted for truth. Not that anyone'll probably give it a second thought, but it's what happened to me. Except a lot earlier. Basically for reasons NatureKeeper said, but with a lot less perceived bitterness (I'd probably feel exactly the same a generation ago, though).

"Then why are you here, man?"

As a franchise, I'm done, I've been done, and I'm happy that I moved on. There's nothing that can pull me back into Pokemon as a franchise, because I just can't keep up, and I just don't care. As a meaningful part of culture, and shaping my childhood? I cannot ignore that.

For me, Pokemon isn't about the newest games, cards, anime, whatever. It's the interpretations of the Pokemon by others who were also shaped by it. There's a connection there. Pokemon as mascots have no value. In fact, they're bland by mascot standards (even Mickey Mouse has more personality than Pikachu). Pokemon as characters, and in a sense as an expression of that person's interests, sense of humor, and other things? I eat that stuff up.

Fan art, anecdotal blogs, comic strips, light hearted parodies*, non serious fan comics and animations, all that stuff. That's why I still love Pokemon. It doesn't matter if you stopped playing after Black and White or Red and Blue, fact of the matter is, if you let it, it's shaped a part of who you are, and that's why you'll always have fond memories of it, and want to share those with other people (who may just think like you do. Bonus, eh?).

*I cannot get behind the idea some people have that Pokemon + blue humor = entertainment. Learn to write better material, or look over some 4 panel comics at the very least so you know how to create a meaningful punchline. A Pokemon or trainer swearing is not funny in and of itself.

Last edited:

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
Until the Pokemon Company stops making Pokemon related stuff. So if they keep making them as I approach my last years of life, then I would continue to play the games. Next month I will be 21 years old and I still see myself loving Pokemon.

:t354:TG

Years
I first found out about Pokemon when I was four or five years old, when I saw an episode at my friend's house. All I remember was that it involved a fiery bird (which I presume was Moltres) and Meowth tickling Ash to get something from him. I thought Pokemon was kind of stupid at the time, and I didn't really start getting into it until about three years later when I got some Pokemon cards in a goodie bag at a friend's birthday party and everyone there compared cards. I just went from there and haven't stopped since.

Lately, though, I've noticed myself not caring that much about Pokemon.

The cards were the first to go. I still have them around, but in fifth grade I stopped caring. Build a fairly balanced deck with enough energy cards and keep up with the new sets (because the Pokemon themselves seem to be getting stronger) and you'll be fine. Then came the show, movies, and manga; the plots just stopped interesting me and I didn't like the then-new voice actors. Now, the games are losing their touch. It's a little sad. I still do enjoy the games, for the most part; they just don't have the spark they once did. The concept will never again be new to me. About a year ago, I dusted off my old cards, made a couple of new decks, and battled with my friends. It was fun, but it just felt like an unnecessary retreading of old ground.

Now, I'm a high school senior and am preparing to leave for college. I've gotten accepted to two colleges and have applied to a few more since (including Brown University last night). College is, of course, not incompatible with gaming, assuming I get work done efficiently, and I do plan to bring at least some of my Pokemon games with me, but I see myself losing interest around my sophomore or junior year. Even that much may be a stretch.

Pokemon's been good to me, but unless something comes out to make the franchise a lot more interesting, I don't see it lasting me much past 20. I chose 20+.

Back