• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Create an Ability! (The Revival)

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
Awhile back I made a thread with practically the same name as this one and it was pretty popular for about a second. And since I've come back, I decided, "Hey, why not make it again?" With the new Fairy type and other things brought about by X and Y (Megas and whatnot) this thread will be even more different from the last one.

Let's begin! The idea is simple, make an ability for a Pokemon!

Example:
Iron Body:
The Pokemon is unable to be lowered in Defense or Special Defense. (Close Combat abuse ahoy!)

I'll probably post some in here too.

Spoiler:

Death

The Pale Horseman
Years
Empower
Raises a random stat by one stage when hit by a resisted attack.

Dominate
Removes penalty for attacking the opponent with a resisted move.

Last Wind
When health is at 1%, gives moves of the same type as the user priority and a X% boost.The user faints after a successful hit.

Reflection
Has a 50% chance to copy foe's stat changes.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Hyper Field - Users cannot be attacked or statused when they are recharging.

Low Guard - User is immune to attacks of its own type(s). Upon entering battle, one random stat is lowered one stage.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
Kleptomaniac:
30% Chance to steal an item upon contact. (Fails if item is already carried.)

Avalanche Heal:
Heals a little HP every turn in a Snow Storm.

Scratch that one, forgot about Ice Body.

Speed Match:
Upon switch-in, if the opponent has higher speed, you are given x2 Speed Boost. Lower speed gives you x0.5 times speed boost. (Better for slower Pokemon.)

I'll have more later.

Last edited:

Terff

the unimportant
Years
Dying Blow
If the user dies before an attack is executed then the user will still use the attack.

Superstitious
Ghost types do 2x damage, user gains boosted crit rate.

Apathy
The cuteness of fairies doesn't phase you. (Fairy types don't affect you)

Dragon Slayer
Get an attack boost every time you defeat a dragon pokemon.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Avalanche Heal:
Heals a little HP every turn in a Snow Storm.

I'll have more later.

That already exists. It's called Ice Body.

Suppose I should come up with something....
Scorched Heal: If the Pokemon is burned, it recovers 1/8 of its HP at the end of every turn (basically a burn version of Poison Heal)

Indomitable Fists: Every time the Pokemon uses a punching move or Close Combat, Attack is raised by one stage (bit like Power-Up Punch, but as an ability)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 13, 2022
Mine Sweeper: Upon entry, all the hazards around the allies feet disappear. (Rapid Spin in Ability)

Sinister: Increases chance of flinching the opponent.

Reload: The Pokémon's PP is restored upon switching out.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hydroplane: The user skids along the watery terrain during Rain, giving priority to all Water type attacks.

Mystic: The user, upon reaching 1/3rd of its total HP, creates a barrier around itself, raising its Special Attack and Special Defense one stage.

Heliocentric: The target has a 20% chance of becoming confused when physical contact is make with the user. This ability only activates in Sunshine.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
This is fun.

Super-Charged: All moves that normally require a charge up turn *cough*Freeze Shock*cough* no longer need a charge up turn, and will be used immediately.

Rocky Road: Gives all Rock type moves +1 priority.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
Years
Phantom Pain - Attack is raised by 1 stage when hit with a Ghost move.

Impressionable - User becomes the same type combination as the opponent.

EMF - All Steel type moves become Electric/Steel dual type moves.

Coup de grace- When knocking out an opponent with less than 1/3 health, SP.A and Speed are raised by two stages.

Relay- When using a move such as U-Turn,Volt Switch or Baton Pass. The pokemon switched in gains +1 Att & Speed. Can be stacked in a loop.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
Dang, this caught on better than the first time! @No Chance Without Zekrom: Ah... I forgot completely about ice body...

Hydroelectric: For water Pokemon, if hit by an electric attack, the Pokemon will gain either +1 Attack or +1 Sp. Attack, no damage will be taken.

Quick Thinker: Priority moves will not have priority if used on this Pokemon and will instead become 0 priority like most normal moves.

Life Force: Attack power is doubled at the cost of HP every turn. (Pretty much an OP Life Orb ability.)

Pixie Shield: The Pokemon will be unaffected by dragon types, regardless of its own typing.

Sharpen: All slash/sword based moves are upped in power by 50%. (Leaf Blade, Psycho Cut, Slash, Night Slash, Sacred Sword, etc.)

Last edited:

Pryze

Straight chillin
Years
Prioritize: Increases the base power of all priority moves by 1.5×.

Mind Force: Boosts the power of moves that do not make contact by 1.2×. (i.e; Hydro Pump would become 144 BP w/ Mind Force.)

Inverse Build: Swaps the user's attacking stats depending on the category of the move used. (i.e; Before a special move is used, it would swap the stats so that the Pokemon has a higher Sp.A stat; if it is already higher, then no change is made. The same for Physical attacks.)

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 22, 2015
Persistence: When attacking, the user attacks all of the Pokemon in the opponent's party. The amount of damage is split depending on the amount of the Pokemon in the opponent's party.

Super Emission: All Beam moves are boosted to 2x, but Defense lowers every use of a Beam move. (Hyper Beam, Solar Beam, Charge Beam, etc.)

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
  • Rain Shield: If it's raining, the user would get a forty-percent boost to both its defensive stats three turns after it gets sent out on the field.
  • Type Lock: If the user and opponent have the same types, then no-one would be able to switch.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Extremist: This ability doubles the amount of status changes on the user or on an opponent if used the second time in a row. This also stacks any status drops/increases made on the user by a foe, or by moves like Close Combat.

For example, if a Geodude used Harden the last turn, the Harden this turn would be twice as effective. The third time in a row would be thrice as effective and so on.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
Regenerate:
If not status, this Pokemon will restore a little health at the end of the turn.

Attack Seal:
The opposing Pokemon is unable to use non-attack moves.

Emergency Generator:
When all PP is out on one move, Pokemon regains 1 PP to it.

Ignorance:
Pokemon ignores stat decreases from afflictions like Paralysis and Burn.

More to come, I'm sure!

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Reversion: all stat changes made by the opponent are negated.

Hesitation:Protection moves such as Protect and Detect last for two turns.

Attentive: The user's accuracy increases when an opponent is not visible. (i.e underground, in the sky etc.)

Back