• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alomar

Follow me on Twitter @Daubs
Years
This is map is extremely square. Too square in fact. Also it looks like you're using only one grass tile. For a town with a gym and weather institute it is extremely small. There's only one house, and for a town that small I don't see why there's a Pokemart & PokeCenter. That's about all I have to say about it.
Rating: 4/10

how do you suppose about making a town in a valley less square when you have to enter from the top and the map enters from the bottom? and one grass tile?

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
how do you suppose about making a town in a valley less square when you have to enter from the top and the map enters from the bottom? and one grass tile?
All of your grass tiles look the same. In FR there are 4 by default each with a different look. Right now it looks like you're only using one. And just because the map has a valley doesn't mean it has to be square. There is more than one way, whcih I cba to detail, to make the valley not look square.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
how do you suppose about making a town in a valley less square when you have to enter from the top and the map enters from the bottom?

That's your problem. Nobody says you have to enter the town from the top, you made it that way. By changing the entry of the town to the bottom, or making the bottom area into a valley as well so you don't have to go all the way around, you can easily get around the sqaureness. Like so:

arborelf.png

Ignore all the tile errors, because it's an example map (and i got bored filling in the middle). Focus on the shape and stuff. Anyway, instead of having a giant square thing the way it is, you can come in from the bottom already in the valley. And then some stuff happens. See the way it keeps the same idea and the same exits, etc. but still lessens on the sqaureness? oh, and i added some nice flowers, too. :P

Also, who would put a town in a circular ditch like that? I suppose that puts a new spin on 'living in a hole'...

like quilava's master said, the map is too square, the mountain should have a real mountain like form, not all straight, and your tree placement should be more random,if you want to map more natural anyway, and the flowers look weird in a straight line, and the road leading to the bottom seems kinda dull, try to make it so the player will not get bored of following a straight path, add some trees or rocks blocking the way or something, 6/10

map name: none
rom base: fire red
hack: pokemon raging fury
comments: it's kinda big, but there are a lot of things that are going to happen in this map.

It's a nice map; a pretty cool idea which is executed in a nice manner. However, I have to say, the city area is boring. The four houses in the bottom-ish area are identically placed in the most boring grid ever. It's not really a problem, but it's boring. haha. Oh, and why do houses have the little sand patch in front of them? It's a nice touch, but it's a city. With city path. There shouldn't be patches of worn-out grass (because that's what they are) in front of a city home, really. 'specially not with all the roads and fences that make it somewhat of a big city.

The beach is pretty cool, but if it's a port (which it should be, by the looks of the boats), why are there all these rocks and ledges over the beach? In a proper beach they'd be cleared out. They look like you're just trying to fill space (which could easily be done by just thinning the beach).

Other than that, it's a good map. Nice and solid, if only that.

Last edited:

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
like quilava's master said, the map is too square, the mountain should have a real mountain like form, not all straight, and your tree placement should be more random,if you want to map more natural anyway, and the flowers look weird in a straight line, and the road leading to the bottom seems kinda dull, try to make it so the player will not get bored of following a straight path, add some trees or rocks blocking the way or something, 6/10

comments: it's kinda big, but there are a lot of things that are going to happen in this map.
This is a really nice map. Very nice use of [what I believe is] Wesley's Merainian Tileset. Especially the road, which is simply marvelous. On the lower right house there;s the fence thingy giving it a backyard effect. Awesome! But there a few things I would change. In front of the lower left house there is a fence that just cuts into the road. Realistically speaking I doubt the town/city would build the road around the bench, chances are they'd just move it out of the way. Maybe you should place it directly in front of the house, with the back of the bench leaning up against the house. I don't love how there are those random logs in the map seeing as this is a city - a port city at that. Speaking of the middle bridge goes from being 3-tiles wide to two-tiles wide. I understand that this is more than likely a space constraint but it just looks bad. There are a few too many rocks on the beach, whereas on a real life beach the rocks would have been cleared away. The ledges also make it [the beach] seem awkward and not very beach-y. Also on the lowest bridge the transition form horizontal to vertical bridge is awkward. Lastly I think it's weird that a city road would lead to a cave on the outskirts of town but it's a nice touch.
I apologize for the long comment just had a lot to say about the map.

Rating: 8/10

Rabbit

where is my mind?
Years
map name : Arbor Town
rom : FR
hack : Pokemon Amber
comments : town with the second gym in the valley of a forest. route to the left is a water route, east is more forest. the town and surrounding has stone road because theyve heavily industrialized the forest, weather facility in the top right. pretty basic
Spoiler:

I think the town inside the hole is perfectly done. Perfect streets, perfect spacing, great use of useless little fences. Yes, there's just one grass tile, but no one is going to notice that because all the ground is covered with stuff.

It doesn't look like a valley, though. Valleys tend to form around rivers and are V-shaped. This is more of a hole in the ground. A crater, perhaps. No, not even a crater. Since the sides are rectangular, the hole appears man-made; and the square path going around it only reaffirms that impression.

The tiles used for the upper path are different from the tiles used for the path within the city, and I find that kind of disorienting. Forcing the player to walk all the way around is evil.

Overall, a pretty map with excellent use of space in the town. But, if you were trying to map a town in a valley, you pretty much failed imho.

Not bad. Good use of elevation in the city. With these path tiles, you should keep the width of the path constant and the lines straight, instead of bending it for benches and trees, to enhance the impression that these are city streets. Same with the pier. Have you ever seen a pier that got narrower at the far end? I haven't.

The layout of the city is good. The houses are well spaced. It's kind of busy-looking, though. You use three kinds of flowers, lots of wastebaskets (on private property, too!) and waaay too many benches. I don't like that the paved street extends all the way to the cave. It's not entirely logical.

Ledges on a beach? That doesn't make much sense. Sand is soft and shouldn't form ledges. Since they're all wonky and curved, I get the feeling you've put them in as obstacles. Same with the umbrellas. The player is going to have detour around them.

r0bert

Quitifyingly awesome.
Years

It's cool,but maybe the boats should be facing left instead of up.
and 'the player can walk off the map at several spots.
My map.
map name: NoName Forest.
map game: NoName Game.
Map credits:me,rossay and princelegendario.
map:attachment.
comments:It's a testmap to show off some tiles I made.

Attachments

• Testmap.png
    Testmap.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 109

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
My map.

I know this thread is not for reviewing tiles but let me start by saying they look great, I especially like the stairs (might use something like that in my hack). My main criticism of the actual map is its to well made. I think you have designed this map well to show off your new tiles but it just does not feel like a forest its not quite random enough (e.g. there is a solid border of tree's down the right side and most of the top and bottom)

My map:
This was the second map I ever made (I think) but I never got round to replacing it... so I just fine tuned it a lot, so do you think its acceptable to go in a hack..?
The building on the left is a Rumble rock (evil team) headquarters witch replace all the gyms in the game, aside from the one in pewter where you first meet your ally brock.
Edit:
Yes i knw there is a HUGE tile error on the left centre building I need the tiles inserted before i can fix it

Attachments

• Pewter city1.jpg
    Pewter city1.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
I know this thread is not for reviewing tiles but let me start by saying they look great, I especially like the stairs (might use something like that in my hack). My main criticism of the actual map is its to well made. I think you have designed this map well to show off your new tiles but it just does not feel like a forest its not quite random enough (e.g. there is a solid border of tree's down the right side and most of the top and bottom)

My map:
This was the second map I ever made (I think) but I never got round to replacing it... so I just fine tuned it a lot, so do you think its acceptable to go in a hack..?
The building on the left is a Rumble rock (evil team) headquarters witch replace all the gyms in the game, aside from the one in pewter where you first meet your ally brock.
Edit:
Yes i knw there is a HUGE tile error on the left centre building I need the tiles inserted before i can fix it
Okay, so first things first your tiles are very off-putting. They'd look nice if they had borders, so you should probably add that. I like the entrance to the gym although I see no point in having paths to either sides [of the rocks/flowers] because they lead nowhere. I don't get why there is a row of blocks blocking your way through the only exit in the whole map. It's tacky and highly illogical. At the bottom left hand side of the map the path looks weird. It's weird that the road would curve up just to lead to some random bushes and trees. The whole map looks constricted as you put a lot of blockages. [i.e. the random slew of fences]. This really kills the playability of the map. There are also a few tile errors you should see too. [Namely the fence next to the bottom left house.] The random curvature of the road [near the TRR HQ] doesn't really look too good.
Overall you should fix the road so that it doesn't look as random. The tiles need outlines. The houses could be spread out a little more as they are basically sitting on top of each other. Some more trees wouldn't hurt, nor would using a different grass tile [remember Fire Red has 4 by default iirc, it shouldn't be that hard to mix it up]. Remove some of the unnecessary fences and free up the map for the player to run around in.

Rating: 3/10

Last edited:

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017

My map:
Edit:

its not a bad map a few errors houses need fixing but its not that bad ja the roads need a bit of revamping but i dont think its too bad =)

ohk now my map it is one of my firsts its a route hack name: none a test map
here
Spoiler:

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
My map.
Rating: 6/10
I won't comment on the tiles, so let's push that aside. For me, the map doesn't look like much of a forest. Forests support a kind of dark and gloomy atmosphere in my opinion; your map doesn't really provide that. The first thing I notice are the lengthy horizontal and vertical mountain sides that run through the map. Mountain shapes should be a little more irregular. And I don't really like the whole bunch of rocks that you've placed near the bottom left of the map. The map provides pretty short routes to a player's destination and most of the portion of the map situated on the right side can't be accessed. The patches of wild grass could've been more scattered. Small and short green paths could've been used. And try block editing to allow more variation in the way you are able to place the trees. Even though it's just a test map, you could've done better.

My map:
Edit:
Okay, so, besides the tile error on the stadium-like building, I can spot a few others on the Pokemart and the roof of the gym. There are quite a few tile errors in the mountain portions too. The tree palette doesn't really blend in well with everything else, and it's kind of too dark in my opinion. The base of the tree where the shadow of the tree is supposed to be is lighter than the ground. And also, the house tile you've inserted lacks dark borders? Okay, I thought I'd just point that out, though I'm not really supposed to be commenting on the Palettes and tiles.

The map itself has quite a few problems too. There's no real distinction between the grassy portion and the rocky portion in some places (For Example; behind the gym). The mountain shape is a little squarish in my opinion; try to make it a little more irregular in places needed. The bottom portion of the mountains near the bottom portion of the map may give you some border difficulties too. The tree placement is pretty bad too. I like the idea of the elevated gym, but the level before it (where you've made three parallel paths), looks distracting. Also, try making breaks when you're using paths, and make the size of the path vary in some places. The placement of the fences is alright, but too many tile errors there too. There is quite a lot of empty space in your map too.

If it's the second map you've ever made, there's room for improvement. I don't think this map's fit to go into a hack, so try to improve a little more. C:

ohk now my map it is one of my firsts its a route hack name: none a test map
here
Spoiler:

Rating: 6/10
I like the placement of the trees and the grass. I think it would be better if you edited the darker palette of the ground, since it's kind of too visible for my liking, and it spoils the map a little. The mountain shape could've been better, seeing that the sides are almost parallel to each other. You also need to palette edit the outer edge of the paths to make it blend in with the ground. You also could've used more pathways. And the little portion of the map separated by the fence doesn't really go well. The tree placement is pretty good, but the border of the map is square-ish in general. The huge patch in front of the entrance near the bottom doesn't really look too good.

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
It's cool,but maybe the boats should be facing left instead of up.
and 'the player can walk off the map at several spots.
My map.

uhm well i do like the tiles they are good a few things that arnt my fav but about 99% of it is awsome those stairs are also awsome lol its not exactly a forest though i meen it seems as a route or something so 7/10

ohk here is a map i have fixed some tiles... lol and this is a mountain route so its suppose to have a large mountain space lol

Spoiler:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
uhm well i do like the tiles they are good a few things that arnt my fav but about 99% of it is awsome those stairs are also awsome lol its not exactly a forest though i meen it seems as a route or something so 7/10

ohk here is a map i have fixed some tiles... lol and this is a mountain route so its suppose to have a large mountain space lol

Spoiler:

I know you were aiming for a map that was a mountainous map, yet it just seems to be too free and open at some parts, but narrow at others. Also, I think the border block may get a bit... Difficult in the bottom right. Not a bad concept map, just needs more work.

6/10

Mine:

Name - Mt. Astroly
ROM Base - Ruby
Credits - Alistair mainly, Kyledove for pallettes.

Map:
Spoiler:

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
I know you were aiming for a map that was a mountainous map, yet it just seems to be too free and open at some parts, but narrow at others. Also, I think the border block may get a bit... Difficult in the bottom right. Not a bad concept map, just needs more work.

6/10

Mine:

Name - Mt. Astroly
ROM Base - Ruby

Map:
Spoiler:
There really isn't too much to say about this map. I assume that the house is a Rest House. That's pretty nice I guess. I really like the trees and their placement. If anything though the map is too empty although I don't know how you would go about spicing it up.

Rating: 8/10

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017

6/10

Mine:

Name - Mt. Astroly
ROM Base - Ruby

Map:
Spoiler:

nice map a bit empty i have to say And some of the palletes are a it bit bright but thats just me... ohk my last map for a while
hack name no
firered
credits wesly alucas alistar
Spoiler:

E.C.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 28, 2021
nice map a bit empty i have to say And some of the palletes are a it bit bright but thats just me... ohk my last map for a while
hack name no
firered
Spoiler:

This map looks as if there is no entrance or exit, so how will the player get out of the island? and speaking of islands, a small island like that which looks like it's in the middle of the ocean should not have a pc and pokemart, you should try and add pokemart and pokecenter's when you are in a big city with a lot of people, not a deserted island (which isn't deserted, but looks like it. and another thing, it looks as if you are using those trees to block the player from going up,which looks very unatural, so i suggest fixing that. Also, the map seems very empty try to add some flowers in front of the houses, it makes it look not so deserted. And i know this is not map related, but your house doors seem to look glitchy, you should pallete edit those. other than all that, it's an okay map. 4/10

Map name: none
Rom base: fire red
Hack: pokemon Rumble Rock
Comments: this is just a test map to try out the new tiles i have inserted for pokemon rumble rock. but i worked hard to map it, so please give me a good rating on the map, oh and if anyone wouldn't mind, could you criticize on the tiles as well :) thanks.

Last edited:

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
i much prfer those tiles the trees blend in more i can see that i also like the map it is very natural and well thats the style i try to work with when mapping lol well great job
btw ja i agree my map isnt very good i took a second look and realised it kinda sucks ja i know the door is glitchy i just havnt bothered to recolour it and such but well i will do it very soon thanx

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
hack name no
firered
Spoiler:
The land looks far too unorganized. If anything it would look nicer if the transition from land to water wasn't so sharp [e.g. use a beach to blend from land to water]. The map as a whole looks too constricted, the rocks that block the map off are way to close to the actual land thus killing the map's playability [which is something a lot of maps are lacking nowadays]. The trees are random and look like they're nothing more than spqace filler. You're only using one grass tile even though there are four available to you - mix it up. The road is incredibly random as it goes directly from the mart to the gym even though there are other places on the island. I'm not going to comment on the tiles [but there are a quite a few tile errors] so that's about it.

This map looks as if there is no entrance or exit, so how will the player get out of the island? and speaking of islands, a small island like that which looks like it's in the middle of the ocean should not have a pc and pokemart, you should try and add pokemart and pokecenter's when you are in a big city with a lot of people, not a deserted island (which isn't deserted, but looks like it. and another thing, it looks as if you are using those trees to block the player from going up,which looks very unatural, so i suggest fixing that. Also, the map seems very empty try to add some flowers in front of the houses, it makes it look not so deserted. And i know this is not map related, but your house doors seem to look glitchy, you should pallete edit those. other than all that, it's an okay map. 4/10

Comments: this is just a test map to try out the new tiles i have inserted for pokemon rumble rock. but i worked hard to map it, so please give me a good rating on the map, oh and if anyone wouldn't mind, could you criticize on the tiles as well :) thanks.

Ah another nice map. My biggest issue is the narrowness of the roads at time. It constricts the players movements. The map also seems very big but a lot of it you will never get to see. The tiles are wonderful [as is suspected with Wesley's tiles].

Rating: 7/10

Alomar

Follow me on Twitter @Daubs
Years

8/10

I love forest theme maps, but i feel its a bit crowded, try widening up some pathways and use up some of that space you don't even see. the tiles fit well too.

Mine-v

Map: Littleroot Town
Rom: FR
Hack: Emerald Remake (no official name yet or thread..)
Comments: Began a remake of the story on Emerald on Fire Red, going to be different scripts, more events etc tho. and I'm trying to spice up all the old towns yet keep the original shape/size. It looks a lot different but resembles Littleroot still to me.

ojpnrn.jpg

Thoughts and Suggestions?
EDIT: the picture smudges are not tile errors, just the image is blurry

Years
Map Submition

8/10

I love forest theme maps, but i feel its a bit crowded, try widening up some pathways and use up some of that space you don't even see. the tiles fit well too.

Mine-v

Map: Littleroot Town
Rom: FR
Hack: Emerald Remake (no official name yet or thread..)
Comments: Began a remake of the story on Emerald on Fire Red, going to be different scripts, more events etc tho. and I'm trying to spice up all the old towns yet keep the original shape/size. It looks a lot different but resembles Littleroot still to me.

ojpnrn.jpg

Thoughts and Suggestions?
EDIT: the picture smudges are not tile errors, just the image is blurry

9/10 Your map looks very good, I like the tileset you inserted,
how you mixed tilesets and kept your map simple.

Map Name: Kajoten Town

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments: I'm new at mapping and this might have errors that I didn't see, if it does can you tell me exactly where. This is the starter town in my hack Pokemon Lost Time, in this hack i will be introducing The Doctor from Doctor Who and his Tardis.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
9/10 Your map looks very good, I like the tileset you inserted,
how you mixed tilesets and kept your map simple.

Map Name: Kajoten Town

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments: I'm new at mapping and this might have errors that I didn't see, if it does can you tell me exactly where. This is the starter town in my hack Pokemon Lost Time, in this hack i will be introducing The Doctor from Doctor Who and his Tardis.
Spoiler:

well a few errors small ones tho oh im not a fan of that grass in towns sorry to say thats just me the mountains are very much natural witch is great im gana go with 7\10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back