• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@RHCP: Well, considering how abusable the leveling system in PTA is, I'd bet on the character development. You can literally gain dozens of levels in one battle via triple battling with only a fair bit more effort than a single battle. Just... nobody cares to do it for one reason or another.

It probably has something to do with the fact that having a level 100 pokemon is pretty godmoddy in and of itself. If Pokemon Special is any indication, even the 70s are a stretch without some special powers to augment their already impressive abilities. The games also seem to support this what with the 70s being champion rematch levels. Of course we never got a level reading on what happened when Red's pikachu was augmented with Yellow's incredibly powerful special abilities... I think that might have actually overshot straight past level 100 completely by anywhere between 20 to 60 levels depending on how exactly that mechanic works (Addition vs Multiplication), if that's even plausible. o_o' Of course, such a thing would come off as incredibly godmoddy if applied to an OC...

Thus, an RPer must know the limits of their characters and limit their levels as such. For instance, my 'average-above average' characters typically have limits in the 50s.

Up until recently, only my evil characters ever went above 70. Dardanette has performance enhancing powers but lacks the sheer skill to rise into the 80s and one of my other characters uses unorthodox, extremely effective (and abusive) training methods to reach the sky high 80s.

The only good aligned character I've ever made that reaches into the 70s only does so because she's both an exceptional trainer with a dramatic specialization in strategy and most of her pokemon were raised individually before being traded to her as gifts on small teams.

I'm rambling though.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
@RHCP: Well, considering how abusable the leveling system in PTA is, I'd bet on the character development.

That's probably it. Through all of this, I'm still more of a writer than I am a RPer. That's my theory, at least. But I think it's boring to just write a fic. I want some goals to write against, and the option to actually write together with others once in a while.

I'm rambling though.
Nah, I got what you meant. Lv 100 is just... well, not even Arceus was lv 100, right?

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
So, another Interest Check.

Who would be willing to join the Team Fortress Roleplay?

And YES, we do have a plot.

gunnerpow7

☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
Years
Interest Check!

I decided to postpone the Adventure Time RP till further notice. The plot is a little tricky.

Anyways, I have an idea for a new Pokemon RP so please tell me if you would join it.

Also, if anybody ever heard of Terra Nova and watched it, you will know this storyline.

gunnerpow7 said:
The plot starts in the year 2042. Professor Bianca starts logging in to her PC. She writes another log entry. The Pokemon World is nearing its end. Smoke and toxic levels are rising to extreme levels. Nature is already extinct. Tress, clean water, rivers, grass, plants, fruits, berries, etc., Most of them, if not all, are dead. Pokemon are rapidly diminishing. In the year 2028, researchers found a fracture in the fabric of time and space. It seems to lead to an alternate dimension on the year 0001. In 2035, they finished a massive teleportation machine on what used to be Aspertia City. If crossed, it would lead to the said dimension. The Pokemon International League passed Law 80, that states all wild Pokemon must be submitted to the League to be shipped at the Teleportation Machine, which they call Operation: New Life. Getting tickets to pass there is very hard. You must be either a Pokemon International League member, any Regional League member, with their families. Professors, Elite Positions, etc. You could buy tickets, but they cost 1 billion Unovian PokeDollars. You could also be recruited from someone from year 0001. You could also win from lotteries. Now, in the year 2042, you, out of billions of people, with you family, got tickets to the teleportation machine. Once you get to New Unova (which is the name of the region), your family is assigned to one of the 17 tribes across the land. Your objective is to gather all 17 Master Symbols (which are equivalent to gym badges) and battle the Supreme Five. But wait, a threat arises in the lovely landscape of New Unova.

So what do you guys think?

Dawn

Years
@gunnerpower7: Just a thought, but pokedollars = yen. 1 billion pokedollars is the equivalent of only about 12 million actual dollars.

gunnerpow7

☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
Years
@gunnerpower7: Just a thought, but pokedollars = yen. 1 billion pokedollars is the equivalent of only about 12 million actual dollars.

Well, for the sake of the RP, Unovian PokeDollars cost as much as Euros. Don't ask why. I'm just saying that buying tickets are really expensive. Also, it's per head. So, if your buying 4 tickets, it would cost 4 billion Unovian PokeDollars.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024

Not me, I've never played it and doubt I'll like it :3 doesn't mean it would be a bad RP though!

Interest Check!

I decided to postpone the Adventure Time RP till further notice. The plot is a little tricky.

Anyways, I have an idea for a new Pokemon RP so please tell me if you would join it.

Also, if anybody ever heard of Terra Nova and watched it, you will know this storyline.

So what do you guys think?
Whooaa that sounds so cool. I heard of that, if it's where they go back to the dinosaur's time or something. I think it would be a bit weird setting to have something resembling a pokémon league though, since the most important thing for everyone there would be to, well, survive and build a new society rather than start battling immediately just for fun. Maybe the RP can take place some years after a new society - however primal - has been built up? Or maybe the RP can be about the dimension travelers exploring and uncovering things about their new home, rather than go around beating gyms?

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years

No interest from here, I like the game, but would rather it not be butchered in an RP.

@Gunnerpow7: Seems interesting, if you can elaborate more on it, it could come off quite well, although I'm not too sure about the whole "league/17 tribes". Perhaps, you could use the Terra Nova idea, one colony, and have both 'bad' and 'good' guys, much like Terra Nova.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
@Akio: tbh, I kind of agree with Ichiro. Some things are just better off being video games. I won't join, but I'm still interested in seeing how exactly you manage such a RP.

The plot starts in the year 2042. Professor Bianca starts logging in to her PC. She writes another log entry. The Pokemon World is nearing its end. Smoke and toxic levels are rising to extreme levels. Nature is already extinct. Tress, clean water, rivers, grass, plants, fruits, berries, etc., Most of them, if not all, are dead. Pokemon are rapidly diminishing. In the year 2028, researchers found a fracture in the fabric of time and space. It seems to lead to an alternate dimension on the year 0001. In 2035, they finished a massive teleportation machine on what used to be Aspertia City. If crossed, it would lead to the said dimension. The Pokemon International League passed Law 80, that states all wild Pokemon must be submitted to the League to be shipped at the Teleportation Machine, which they call Operation: New Life. Getting tickets to pass there is very hard. You must be either a Pokemon International League member, any Regional League member, with their families. Professors, Elite Positions, etc. You could buy tickets, but they cost 1 billion Unovian PokeDollars. You could also be recruited from someone from year 0001. You could also win from lotteries. Now, in the year 2042, you, out of billions of people, with you family, got tickets to the teleportation machine. Once you get to New Unova (which is the name of the region), your family is assigned to one of the 17 tribes across the land. Your objective is to gather all 17 Master Symbols (which are equivalent to gym badges) and battle the Supreme Five. But wait, a threat arises in the lovely landscape of New Unova.

Eh... the whole Pokemon League concept kind of put me off. When I read a "Pokemon-Terra Nova" crossover, I expected something like people going back and trying to rebuild society, like in the show. I thought it would be cool if you brought like limited Pokemon back in time, and actually survived in a harsh land along with primitive version of current gen Pokemon, which imo would be cool. Then, there would be internal conflicts within the society, like the show.

tl;dr my point is that the league concept makes it seem like a League RP in a different setting. It would be cool if it featured older versions of Pokemon, that would interest me.

Dawn

Years
@DeepImpact: To be fair, pokemon mythology seems to suggest that humans were created around the same time as pokemon (who were created near the beginning of the world.), and that they somehow had access to /magic/ at some point. The concept of an ancient league might not be that far off. Perhaps it's less about having fun though and more like a hierarchy of sorts. Perhaps the league is the government and the strongest is effectively the ruler.

I'm just musing though.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
@DeepImpact: To be fair, pokemon mythology seems to suggest that humans were created around the same time as pokemon (who were created near the beginning of the world.), and that they somehow had access to /magic/ at some point. The concept of an ancient league might not be that far off. Perhaps it's less about having fun though and more like a hierarchy of sorts. Perhaps the league is the government and the strongest is effectively the ruler.

I'm just musing though.

According to the GM here the portal actually opened into an alternate dimension so I guess we can freely play around with the very concept of Pokemon here lol.

I'm just saying that it would be cool if Pokemon were shown as dinosaurs, bigger, violent, not really well-developed, etc. It would just be a rather different concept than "have a league in the old times", which has already been done in Miss Doronjo's Ye Pokebeast's Journeye, btw.

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years

I'm guessing the Supreme Five is like the Elite Four & the Champion. :\ I might be a little uneasy joining this, but I would definitely try it out.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
No interest from here, I like the game, but would rather it not be butchered in an RP.
Wow. I mean, that's pretty damn rude, you know? The least you could do is re-word it, or, I don't know, give it a chance? Trust me, from how much Jaffersin and I have been chatting, he knows his stuff, and so do I, to an extent. I think we have something great in the works. We have a full plot (believe it or not, Team Fortress DOES have a story) and we will follow the main plot of the canon. However, we've made it much more intricate, given legitimate reasons for death and respawn, and given actual purposes to the gametypes, such as payload, attack/defense, and capture the intel.

Most people wouldn't be so ignorant to knock something before they have the first clue about it.

@Akio: tbh, I kind of agree with Ichiro. Some things are just better off being video games. I won't join, but I'm still interested in seeing how exactly you manage such a RP.

Read above.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
I'm going to say this as polite as I can...

Please don't make TF2 into a RP.

And why exactly would it be such a bad thing to create a roleplay out of such a wonderful game? People neglect to realize that there really was a story behind the multiplayer game.

Storyline from the Official TF2 Wiki

And, while this is satirical, I thought I should include it.

TF2backdropstory.jpg

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years

Wow. I mean, that's pretty damn rude, you know? The least you could do is re-word it, or, I don't know, give it a chance? Trust me, from how much Jaffersin and I have been chatting, he knows his stuff, and so do I, to an extent. I think we have something great in the works. We have a full plot (believe it or not, Team Fortress DOES have a story) and we will follow the main plot of the canon. However, we've made it much more intricate, given legitimate reasons for death and respawn, and given actual purposes to the gametypes, such as payload, attack/defense, and capture the intel.

Most people wouldn't be so ignorant to knock something before they have the first clue about it.

Read above.

I don't doubt that you have a reason for everything and a storyline, neither do I doubt Jaffersin's knowledge of Team Fortress 2 either. However like DeepImpact and XLegion, I believe TF2 is a really good game, and some things just shouldn't be made into a Roleplay because then it ends up 'butchering' the idea/vision of the game.

Again, I'm not really a fan of game-based Roleplays, so my idea is slightly skewed and biased, but there are some games like TF2, that I believe should not be made into RPs.

Also, if your asking for comments, be prepared for both positive and negative comments, not everyone is going to respond: "OMFG dis is sum c00l stuffs!!!11!!!1!!11!!!!"

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015

I don't doubt that you have a reason for everything and a storyline, neither do I doubt Jaffersin's knowledge of Team Fortress 2 either. However like DeepImpact and XLegion, I believe TF2 is a really good game, and some things just shouldn't be made into a Roleplay because then it ends up 'butchering' the idea/vision of the game.

Again, I'm not really a fan of game-based Roleplays, so my idea is slightly skewed and biased, but there are some games like TF2, that I believe should not be made into RPs.

Also, if your asking for comments, be prepared for both positive and negative comments, not everyone is going to respond: "OMFG dis is sum c00l stuffs!!!11!!!1!!11!!!!"

Of course I don't expect strictly positive comments. I just think that you could have showed a little more courtesy and respect with your negative comment.

gunnerpow7

☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
Years
Okay, how about one colony situated in where would Castelia City soon stand and the colony will be divided into 17 sectors, one for each type. Still thinking of another plotline besides the league thing... It's a WIP... But I will consider the rebuilding civilization part. Common Pokemon are the Fossil Pokemon, And some other Pokemon. But I will tell you that the strongest Pokemon in New Unova will be the Prehistoric Magikarp. Yes, Magikarp.

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
Okay, how about one colony situated in where would Castelia City soon stand and the colony will be divided into 17 sectors, one for each type. Still thinking of another plotline besides the league thing... It's a WIP... But I will consider the rebuilding civilization part. Common Pokemon are the Fossil Pokemon, And some other Pokemon. But I will tell you that the strongest Pokemon in New Unova will be the Prehistoric Magikarp. Yes, Magikarp.

I'll probably follow along with it as I go. :3 I'm definitely joining the electric sector!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back