• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The internet is loading so slowly!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
2-3 tabs on FireFox + 1 tab from Safari + 1 tab from Camino = 5 tabs in total

Tabs I go to mostly are Safari's homepage, Google, and Dogpile to visit other websites including PokeCommunity.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years
Depends on what I'm doing, but generally 5 seems to be the average. If I'm picture hoarding (Minitokyo and tumblr come to mind) that amount might increase more than a 10 fold.

Right now I have my "starter tab" called that way because it's the first tab in the line and it's fun to look at. So I don't close it. xD
Then there's two of tumblr pages of which I'm still considering whether or not to save the images. Then there's my university mail box.
And two PC tabs.

Usually there's also my deviantArt Messages and tumblr account... but not now.

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2015
I dont like to have too many tabs open, slows down the browser a lot. So usually not more than three...

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
I dont like to have too many tabs open, slows down the browser a lot. So usually not more than three...

As a heavy tab user (See above.) I can say it won't slow down as much as you think... Tabs only noticeably slow down the browser if you exceed the amount of RAM on your computer and it starts swapping in and out of the page file/swap file. If you don't do that, you are pretty much in the clear.

This is what Conky tells me when Opera has 65 tabs open:
iuRE1h9FUcY7r.png

In addition to the tabs, I also have the built-in IRC, E-Mail, and Feed clients running as well as a very AJAX-heavy VLC web interface. Two of those tabs are Google Plus which polls often, and another two are Min.us which are very JavaScript heavy when you have a lot of images in an album you are viewing.

Opera's RAM usage is at 1.5GB because of the tabs and is still using less than 5% CPU. That 5% is only because of the additional things I have running in it non-stop, and not necessarily because of idle tabs.

tl;dr - Feel free to do as you like, if you want tabs, use em. It won't have as adverse an effect you think it will. :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
1) This thread.
2) PC's OVP
3) An anime website cos I am watching Kokoro Connect half-way.

I normally have 1~5 up, anything more then that makes my computer lag.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I generally like keeping my number of tabs open to a minimum. Currently I have Twitter, Serebii, and PokéCommunity open; each a pinned tab. On a regular day I'd usually have PC, Tumblr, Twitter, Youtube, and Google open, but if I'm not using them I'll probably close them off.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
To be honest, I mistook the thread title as a topic about internet speeds. :(

But alright, I have two open right now. PC and Twitter, my two main sites. xD

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I only usually have 3 tabs open max. Pc (obviously), youtube, and google. tbh, I thought this was a thread about internet speeds, also. XD

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
I tend to hoard tabs, it's not uncommon for me to have 10 or sometimes even 20 tabs open at once. My record is 32. ):

Currently I only have three open:
-The Pirate Bay
-This page
-InsanelyMac

*Opens more tabs*

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Yep, that's me
Years
Well, our company is on a satellite connection. This means our server is connected to a big "TV" satellite transceiver on the roof of the building.

The satellite fires a signel 35,000 KM to a satellite in orbit and back to earth again.

This type of connection experiences VERY HIGH latency (the time it takes to send data to the remote computer and the remote computer to respond). So PC loads quite slowly most days.

FYI my downloading speed is 3.22MB/s and Upping at 833 KB/s -Nice.

Years
As of currently, I have 11 tabs open, being Facebook, 4 Pokecommunity pages, 5 Bulbapedia pages for my nuzlocke to know when to evolve my Eevee and finally YouTube, watching some Minecraft Tekkit let's plays on my second monitor.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
I've split my browser into two windows as I always do:

left window:
1. PC main page
2. this thread

right window:
1. Youtube subscriptions
2. New Super Mario Bros U #11 video by trg on youtube

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
four tabs. one for this page, two for school, and one that might break the forum rules if I posted it here.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I only have 3 tabs open at the moment: PC, Bulbagarden Forums, and Facebook. I never have lots of tabs open at once. Usually about 3-6 at once cause I don't want to overload my browser.

Back