• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Amethyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
Charmageddon, no offense, but your moves aren't that great... Nor are the names that creative.
--------------------------------------------------------

Well then tell me what's wrong with them, so that I can improve.

And I know some of the names are bad, but they can easily be changed.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen May 10, 2021
You guys should chill out with the moves stuff.
When Wichu asks for ideas again, give him some.
He hasn't seemed to be responding to anything so he probably doesn't want em.
Open up discussion.

ArchXDeath

Eevee Trainer!
Years
What happened?

Well, I've been watching this project, and then like, "What the heck happened to Wichu?" Hope nothing happened....maybe he's really busy....well anyway... Come back soon with lots of stuff Wichu!

Years
Wow, I'm absolutely blown away by the amount of effort that has clearly gone into this game! I would be on top of the world if I saw it finished! You're doing a fantastic job, so don't stop!
:3

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Hey guys :)

I haven't posted here in a while. To be honest, that's because I haven't actually been doing much on the game in quite a while; other things have been keeping me occupied (such as holidays, programming other things, and completing my shiny legendary collection :P). However, I have been thinking about it; I haven't really had a chance to do so while making it.

So, having a look over what I've done so far, I didn't really like where it was going. Sure, the screenshots and Pokémon were pretty, but the game itself wasn't as good as it could have been. There are two reasons why I thought this - firstly, the game itself was pretty much unplayable (you can't see from the screenshots, but outside of battle, it was running at a mere 10-20 FPS). Secondly, the graphics and general appearance were bad. I'm pretty proud of my spriting and tiles, but let's face it, it was basically a GBA game. In this era of 3D overworlds and 80x80 Pokémon sprites, my GBA-style graphics look pretty rubbish :P

So, I've made a bold decision. Production on the old Amethyst has stopped completely. Although I did have a lot of work done, due to the reasons above, I figured there was no point continuing. Instead, Amethyst is being restarted from scratch. Well, almost; the old Pokémon designs, story, and other ideas are still as good as ever.

However, graphics and script-wise, I'm starting over.
Firstly, the DS screen resolution is going. What's the point of limiting yourself to a 256x192 window when it's not even going to be played on the DS, and you have masses more screen space to use? I'm either going to use 512x384 (double the current resolution), or 640x480. I'm leaning towards 512x384, as that will give a similar field of view in the overworld as the DS games. However, 640x480 is a decent alternative. RMXP's default resolution, as well as the lowest resolution of many other PC games, is 640x480. I could use this extra screen space for an inteface, similarly to how HG/SS use the touch screen. I'm not going for any higher resolution than that, since it will be too much work to make huge sprites. I'll try and get a full-screen feature in, though.
Secondly, seeing as I'm increasing the resolution, all the graphics are going to be resprited too. I'm switching to 32x32 pixel tiles, the same as RMXP's default tile size. All the OW sprites will be redone too; this isn't much of a problem, as we only had about a dozen or so anyway. In-battle sprites will be upgraded too, to 160x160 pixels. I was originally planning a neat battle system with animated sprites etc., but I've decided against it on the grounds that it would take far too long to sprite multiple poses for several hundred Pokémon. It's still an option, but don't expect it to happen for a few years :P
I'm going to start a public sprite project to help achieve this. Not only can anyone help, but the whole community will be able to use the sprites (not the fakemon, though; the game's team will take care of those). If you're interested in helping out, you can either contact me, or wait for me to make a thread for it in the Pixel Projects forum. If we work together, it isn't such an impossible goal to aim for ;)
Thirdly, I need to deal with the horrendous framerate and glitches. To do this, I'll have to sort out the scripts which are causing them. However, it's more than likely that it's due to the many custom scripts I've added, not just one or two. So my solution to this is to restart the scripting side of things, too. It's going to take a lot of work, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end :)

So, any comments? This is the biggest event so far in Amethyst's timeline, and I want to pull this off perfectly.

Oh, and thanks for the suggestions everyone; I'll be sure to include some in the game. Keep the ideas coming!

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
Well, I'm really looking forward to this =], this will be the first 32x32 game here on pc, you maybe should contact Alistair, sice he has a project of making 32x32 tiles and characters... I understand your problem with the fps, I had it in my game, but since you were using way more scripts than me, I imagine that there was no solution to it =/. Good luck!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen May 10, 2021
Agreed I'm looking forward to this as well.
If the creator wants to better his, game there's nothing we can do.
Although I did like what you had going, I'll love what's in store.
Good luck.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I'm glad your starting over Wichu.
A revamp will help you reignite your passion for working on this project and I'm sure that it will turn out great for you.
A bit generic, but good luck, and I look forward to seeing some eye candy of the new tiles/new resolution when your ready to showcase it.

O.G. Duke

a.k.a OmegaGroudon
Years
  • Seen May 18, 2016
I'm so glad to hear that.
Although Amethyst need to be restart, but it's still better than letting it down and gone.
Can't wait to see how you implement your idea into it. Good luck anyway.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Wow...this decision is to be admired. Personally I don't find anything wrong with your game. The graphics are beautiful and the systems are stunning. You are the reason why I got into game development. There might me downsides to this, but personally I think it's going to be a big benefit. Starting all over again, brings more excitement to it and makes it all more interesting. It's also very interesting that you went for the big screen size, and all the best wishes to you, because I know how painful it is to determine positions for images on a bigger screen size. I hope you also come up with something new and fresh along this new time line of development, and wish for you to maintain (or even raise) the standard of your game. Regarding the lagging problem, I don't know how you're really going to improve on that, since the update methods are pretty much causing things like that (and they are important).

Overall I think it's an admirable step you took, and other developers should look up to that. I hope you manage to get everything done, and I'm looking forward to the new Amethyst.

Jayje

The First Maker
Years
Dagnabit! i've been following this for awhile now. but eh, i respect your decision. personal satisfaction is whats important. so do your thang and we'll be behind you.

The Smell

Doof-Man
Years
Wow... It's been a long journey, Wichu. I remember I was here when it started a long time back, and now I'm here for it to be started again! :P You may remember me for my clumsy Chatot sprite. :P Hopefully now that I am older, I can be of more help than before.

ArchXDeath

Eevee Trainer!
Years
Omg!

Wow....starting over...for real! I admire your work Wichu, and though I barely understand what you meant by the -x- pixel thingies...Good luck! But...I really didn't see anything wrong with before....(I love Wichu! The pokemon, I mean. I hate you. No, I'm kidding! You're awesome!)

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
Wow, that's a brave decision, starting over from scratch. I personally though the GBA-style graphics were great, in fact much better than the GBA's, but your decision is your decision. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back