• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A hero's going to save me

Honest

Hi!
Years
More of a hypothetical question, but let's say someone was in danger or being hurt, possibly dying. The end result isn't something you want to happen to yourself, let's leave it at that. Would you go out of your way to help that person, even if causes hardship on you? Or would you avoid the responsibility and let the person undergo the hardship on their own, and manage to convince yourself there was nothing you could do?

I got this question cause I was looking though some old newspapers, and there was this incident a few months back where a man died by getting run over by a subway train. The reason it was a big deal was because a photographer managed to capture the last few seconds of the mans life on a picture, which I believe also showed other people not trying to help the man climb to safety. Just some background info.

Edit: Skillet by the way. Not Nickelback.

Last edited:

Crux

Evermore
Years
I'm so high, I can hear heaven.
I'm so high, I can hear heaven, oh but heaven, whoa heaven don't hear me.
And they say that a hero can save us, i'm not gonna stand here and wait.
I'll hold on to the wings of the eagles, watch as we all fly away."

Nickelback Ftw!​

Interesting question, there! With an honestly dark answer from me.

I look at the situation and decide a few things.

~Would letting the event transpire end in lose of life and or limb?
~If so, how would it affect their kin and those around them?
~Do they have it coming?
(I, you see, am a strong supporter of poetic justice)
~If not, would they stand to gain from the experience?
(A hard teacher experience may be, but you never forget it's lessons.)
~Would they be able to withstand it, emotionally, mentally, physically?
~And finally, selfish reasons.

If I don't know you and can see your life in jeopordy, then I will move to save it.
If I do know you, it depends entirerly on the situation.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I can only think I would out of sheer goodwill for life, even though I don't value individual humans' wellbeing on a cognitive level.
I assume this is physical danger... I don't really deal in assurance.

Last edited:

Yukiyo Kayume

Dragon Goddess
Years
I would probably help the person unless it would cause me a lot of harm/possibly death in the process. I'd risk a little bit to help a stranger, but not too much... I'd rather call the police if it were something serious, since I'd likely only make the situation worse.

also, that photographer is absolutely horrible... that's BEYOND evil. making fame/a profit off of someone's death? despicable. completely heartless.

if it were a loved one though, I'd probably charge in headfirst to help them any way i can without caring about my own well-being

also thank god that person was banned... horribly scarred for life now though.... ._. trolls..

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I would try and aid the person in danger but if they're a complete stranger, I would reconsider jumping right in front of a train and sacrificing my own life for theirs. It sounds selfish I know, but I wouldn't fling myself into situations too great for me to handle, instead I'd attempt to call emergency services or whatever is required to help the person in need. However if I did see someone getting beaten up on the street or at school, I'd probably step in and tell them to stop or I'd rip their he- tell someone about it. Makes me look like a tattletale I must admit, but hey I was only doing what was right. x_x

In general, I would try and help people in need but not fling myself into extreme situations such as people getting hit by trains etc.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I'd help if I could, but I think it's a bit foolish to put your own life at risk when you don't actually know if you can help. It's smarter to throw someone a ring buoy, than to jump in to "help" them, because there is a bigger chance that they'll just panic, grab you, and drown you, while drowning themselves. Depends on the situation though. Depends on what the "hardship" is, really!

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
If it's my loved one or a close friend, I'd throw myself at him/her to get her out of danger, even if it means risking my life in doing so. I'd probably hesitate in doing so though. I don't think they'll be able to forgive themselves if they got saved and I died in the process. I'd rather much have both of us go instead of just one of us live, if you catch my drift.

If it's a random stranger, I'll see if there's anyone around, or if there are any devices or items that can help me help that person such as a long stick or a floating object to rescue a drowning person, or call the authorities for help. I can't risk myself for someone I don't even know..

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
It depends on if I know them or not.. I would defo help if it was my family or a friend.
If it was a stranger if I was the only one there...maybe I would help them out. If someone else was there
I would hope them'd help instead of me.

Years
I think I remember that incident. The photographer said that he didn't have time to help the person, or something like that. And, you know, that's a fine response if that's what happened. If someone were to jump in front of an oncoming train there's very little you could do to stop that or help them because of how quickly you'd have to react.

Anyway, I have to think of my own safety first. No sense it putting myself in danger if it's not helping anyone. I mean, I'd want to help. I'm not callous toward human life or anything, but in a dangerous situation I'd rather call the police or someone professional. I think it would be the right thing to do. Even in a not-immediate-danger situation like someone being on drugs in a really bad way, I have to think there's not a whole lot I could do except try to get them to proper help. But I'm not going to do that for every person I see. Like I said, I have to think of my own safety first.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I think all lives are worth saving, so I would try my best if I could. But if I was faced between saving a widowed woman who has to provide a life for her children or a 90 year old man who's children have already been grown for quite some time, I would attempt to save the woman's, because I feel that her loss would come at a greater price. Though I think it's terrible of me to do that because one of my fundamental beliefs are that all lives are equal, and that's something that contradicts that belief.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I actually sang the thread title in my head.

Anyway, I guess I'd assess the situation and see just how great the risk would be to myself. If I die, then nothing will be accomplished at all. If I could survive in even the slightest, I'd go for it.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I would think it would depend on the circumstances. If saving the person were life treatening I most likely would call for help, but if not I might try and help the person.

Years
It depends if I care for them enough. Chances are, if they're a total stranger, I most likely wouldn't try to save them.
If they were someone I deeply cared about, then of course I would risk my safety for them. Who wouldn't?

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I probably would try to help, especially if they're younger than I am. That would mean I've had longer to live than they have. I think it would depend on what currently is going on in my life, at the time, though. Some of the time, I don't really care and would be fine with dying for, say, my best friend's younger sister (one of which is more than ten years younger than I am). Others, I would be more hesitant.

I already have attempted to stop other people from getting hurt by taking the hits myself, so apparently I'm willing to put myself in danger for other humans. ._.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I'd help if I could, but not to the point of risking my own life. I don't have any shame in saying that I am not willing to die a hero.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I would definitely do something. If there's a chance to save their life and make it out alive I would try to do so. I don't think I would want to live the rest of my life knowing I could have saved someone's life but decided not to.

Though honestly that's one of those events where you really have no clue what you're going to do until it happens.

Rango

Show Me The Money Wide Load!
Years
Depending on the circumstances, like if they were in front of a train or something that could place you in serious danger or harm you seriously, I would probably have to weigh the risk vs reward.
But if someone was drowning or anything like that, then I would absolutely dive in to save them.
But once again, you have to look at the circumstance that the person is in.

Back