• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moves Pokémon can learn, but shouldn't.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Zubat learns Mean Look, but has no eyes. Doduo and Dodrio can learn Fly yet they appear as though they have no wings. Which Pokémon do you think can learn moves they probably shouldn't be able to?

Years
Doduo and Dodrio can learn Fly yet they appear as though they have no wings.
Doduo and Dodrio can learn fly because they spin their heads like a helicopter. Or they do a giant jump. It is the most logical explanation.
I never understood why Diglett and Dugtrio can learn Cut and other moves like that. Seriously, why?

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
It's got nothing to do with appearances, but I never really liked that a fair amount of Ground types learned Mud Sport. Its effect ends when the user switches out, so why even bother using it in the first place if you're immune to it?

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I don't get how lucario learns dragon pulse. I mean okay its the Aura Pokemon, but dragon pulse literally makes no sense. Other reptilian Pokemon sure, but a mammal, it makes no sense.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Wooper + Ice Punch/DynamicPunch. It doesn't even have any arms to punch with! (unless it uses its tail for said moves). It does get arms when it evolves, though.

A similar situation would apply to Gastly and the elemental punches.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Wooper + Ice Punch/DynamicPunch. It doesn't even have any arms to punch with! (unless it uses its tail for said moves). It does get arms when it evolves, though.

A similar situation would apply to Gastly and the elemental punches.

Gastly learns Sucker Punch because it doesn't require arms or anything. That's why Dugtrio can learn it too. It's kinda like a quick sneak attack. As for Wooper, I have no idea as you said maybe it uses it tail lol or it's head.

Rhydon and Surf.. It makes no sense, doesn't this thing hate water? Then Dugtrio learning Slash, with what? It's whack a mole horn that's invisible?

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
Evan though it's Diamond entry states that it created the universe with it's 1,000 hands I don't see how Arceus could use a move that involves punching the opponent. I figure since it's the creator it can do pretty much anything no matter how illogical it is, but it still shouldn't know them.

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
Years
Evan though it's Diamond entry states that it created the universe with it's 1,000 hands I don't see how Arceus could use a move that involves punching the opponent. I figure since it's the creator it can do pretty much anything no matter how illogical it is, but it still shouldn't know them.

Arceus' Diamond entry says that legend says it created the universe with it's thousand arms. That doesn't mean that it actually happened; and given there's not a scrap of evidence that Arceus has even a single arm, it's quite plain that it's just a myth.

Gastly learns Sucker Punch because it doesn't require arms or anything. That's why Dugtrio can learn it too. It's kinda like a quick sneak attack. As for Wooper, I have no idea as you said maybe it uses it tail lol or it's head.

Rhydon and Surf.. It makes no sense, doesn't this thing hate water? Then Dugtrio learning Slash, with what? It's whack a mole horn that's invisible?

Gastly is able to form hands (similar to Haunter's, but more fragile) from the poison gas around it. And Dugtrio and Diglett are moles: ergo, though you never see them, they do have claws, they simply remain underground. As for Wooper and Rhydon... they don't make sense at all.

Last edited:

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Doduo and Dodrio do have wings IIRC, but they're really small and aren't used for flying. If they learn fly anyway, well, it's no less weird than Rattata learning Thunderbolt. Also, the reason you can't see them realistically is because it blends in with the rest of the fluffy feathers, and then literally because Game Freak doesn't like to take a whole lot of artistic liberties with Pokemon beyond the Sugimori standard for some reason. Instead, they'll play the "fans use their imaginations" card.

It's okay to show Doduo with its wings outstreched, guys. You won't be sent to prison.

Ice Punch plus Wooper, simply put, Wooper uses its tail. Using the definition found here:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/punch
Punch when used as a verb, the second definition, states that to punch is to strike with a forward thrust, especially with a fist. It didn't say exclusively with a fist, though.

I've never heard of Dragon Pulse, so that depends on what the move really implies.

Gastly probably can form temporary hands with that gas around him, or at least make the gas around him dense enough, and then compact it into something to strike you with. That or he uses his tounge. Gastly seems to have shape shifting capabilities anyway, or at least the power of illusion.

If nothing else, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon has a Diglett mentioning that it has feet. In the off chance that it doesn't have hands either (which I doubt, but again, GF loves the "use your imagination" cop out), Diglett/Dugtrio jump out of the hole and use the claws on their feet. Of course, if they have hands, it makes more sense because I don't see moles exerting all that energy just to use one move. So, they just Slash with their foreclaws instead. See Duduo for why you'll never see it officially.

Zubat can probably do a non literal Mean Look by contorting its face enough to be bone chilling. It has a mouth and fangs. If it can work up a nasty snarl, I'm sure the opponent would be in no condition to think on its feet.

Attract is all about manipulation using some kind of means. How it works, I have no idea, and can probably be taken to places no one wants to go, but the point is that it's insincere. Jynx using Attract doesn't mean she's coming on to the opponent, it just means she's bewitched the opponent using whatever she has at her disposal that puts the opposition under that spell. Two different things. Also, I find it hard to believe every last Jynx looks the same anyway, especially if they've been manipulated with Pokeblocks and whatever else, which instantly guarantees that they don't.

Don't know a thing about Arceus, no answers there.

Rhydon is the only one I can't really give an answer for unless it being a rock type is purely metaphorical. I forgot if its armor is made of literal rocks. Having said that, it could probably still swim if forced to. I mean, it's not going to just give up and drown if dunked into water. It'll probably swim slowly, though, just to keep impact low. So even if you could surf on Rhydon, I'd imagine the trip would take forever, and you'll have wished you taught surf to a proper water type instead.

:D

Years
The ones that always bother me are the Pokemon that can learn moves that would be super-effective if used against themselves. There are plenty of examples, but the first few that come to mind are Ludicolo using Fire Punch, Mantine learning Bullet Seed and a good number of other Grass type Pokemon learning Aerial Ace.

Years
Tyranitar being able to learn Surf.
This implies that it floats across water... even though it has a type disadvantage to water. Huh?

Last edited:

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Ryhorn/Rhydon can learn surf, even thought they got a 4x weakness from water. How does that work?

Diglett/Dugtrio can learn scratch, where the hell are their arms?!

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
*tsk tsk*
Some of you guys just don't read, do you? ө_ǒ

Context, context, context.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Speaking of Pokémon who are clearly weak against water and / or too heavy to swim atop water all all; what about Aggron? The thing is made of steel and is one of the heaviest Pokémon around yet it can learn Surf. How does that work? Haha.

Years
Doduo and Dodrio can learn fly because they spin their heads like a helicopter. Or they do a giant jump. It is the most logical explanation.
What?!! Haha...
The kinds of Pokemon that can learn Toxic despite being about as poisonous as a healing antidote.
Mew can learn anything which is crazy...
Juat some from the top of my head.

Back