• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: Sideview Battle Style

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
This idea came to my mind from this thread...

Basically, instead of the usual battle style we currently have, our opponents are on the upper-right of the screen and we as players are on the lower-left of the screen, we could adjust the X and Y positioning to make it slide in the middle.

And then, with sprite editing, we can edit the sprites to their sideviews... Fron sprites would be sideviews facing left, and backsprites would also be sideviews facing right...

So it'll probably look like this: our opponent will be on the center-right and we as players will be on the center-left...

Attack animations could also be adjusted to the center, though...

HP bars might need to be adjusted to the upper corners of the screen, though...

I think, if all of those were implemented, it would look like this...

I think that this would require ASM hacking, but if it's possible and implemented, then won't this be a nice new feature to one of our hacks/mods?

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2016
You'd have to move the two pokemon status/HP boxes up as well as reposition the sprites. I would also guess that almost every animation would have to be redone. Again, I'd guess it would take quite some ASM, and a good knowledge of animations.

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Well, I like the idea, but I feel it would take a lot of work to do, too much work actually.

~Ryukaa

total nerd
Years
That would feel really fresh in a Hack. Yes, would take alot of work, but it would be great. :D
Speaking of hacking, I need to learn how to again. I've completely forgotten. xDD;;
Help DJG~!

Anyway, like I said, it would be really interesting.

Rayce

Nooo0000OOB
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
I think it looks like more work than it's worth. Also I like facing opponent animation because it makes more sense and doesn't look like every cheesy flash game where two opponents fight

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Practically it requires ASM but you may not need to know anything about ASM to do it. I believe there are two bytes which tell the (x,y) location of upper-left corner of pokemon of each sizes (in 2nd gen, there are three different picture sizes: 40x40, 48x48 and 56x56), and their (x,y) locations are that way of course different.

So, you'd have to find those bytes and my modifying them, the pokemon would be located in different part of the battle screen. Those bytes should be part of the ASM script which loads the stuff that happens in the battle. However, there is no need to figure out how the ASM script works itself.

Then again, I may be wrong but this is one way it can be implemented in the game.

TheDarkShark

Metal Headed Hacker
Years
@destinedjagold: I completely don't get the point in doing so. It will seem to be a simple gfx hack to the player, but it will be a pain to work this out; codehacks, and near to a thousand single gfx hacks - it's not worth it.

@misky91: of course this should work (somehow), but the codehack isn't the problem; there are 412 slots for pokemon. With front and back sprite this makes 824. There are about 300 (as far as I remember) attacks, wich means approximately 1200 graphical hacks we would have to do. (I didn't even mind to cover everything else relating to this). Also, you would have to find attack-animation data, 'cause it's not all about codehacks and graphics. BTW: Did anyone find the animation data table (or something similar)? 'Cause I haven't heard about it, yet.

~Ryukaa

total nerd
Years
@TheDarkShark: I reckon there's some merit in the idea. In a way, it will be a different approach to hacking. Some hackers would be able to think of new interesting moves this way. It also won't feel like a generic Pokemon Hack. -for the time being anyway-

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
It's possible, but the battle animations would have to be edited, which is something we still haven't figured out fully. Plus, you'd have to edit where the HP bar is written to in the Video RAM, along with a lot of other stuff.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
yes this would take a lot of work, but if it were to be done on a single rom, and distributed in "resources", it would have to be done only once, and i belive the idea is AWESOME, so if this were to be done, whoever makes and posts the rom, should both insert the routine, and insert all the sideways sprites and attack animateion, so that people don't have to go through all that trouble...

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
that seems like it would be really hard, but if its done then It would be a agme i would play. Every single animation wil. need to be fixed as moves will also have to change. It looks somewhat simmilar to the PBR battle style

Back