• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

Who is the hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?

• Roxanne

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Brawly

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • Wattson

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Flannery

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Norman

Votes: 53 18.5%
  • Winona

Votes: 22 7.7%
  • Tate & Liza

Votes: 129 45.1%
  • Wallace/Juan

Votes: 19 6.6%

• Total voters

Flydro

doobz
Years
Norman was the hardest for me because only my Swampert could take or do any real amount of damage, it's not easy being prepared for two Slakings at that early stage of the game. I found the other Gym Leaders to be pretty straight forward and easy though..

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Tate and Liza took forever for me. I had nothing strong against psychic types at the time, and double battle format did not work in my favor :l

Lifesolstice

Magikarp Tail
Years
For me, it was definitely Tate & Liza.
Heonn back then was my favorite ruby and still is. (I WANT A REMAKE xP)
I had a copy of Emerald and Sapphire. In my sapphire I start with a Torchic which of course ended up as a Blaziken. Since Tate & Liza had a Lunatone and Solrock, it was a real pain trying to beat them. Especially since the Defense, Speed, and Special Defense for both Lunatone and Solrock is freaking annoying it was incredibly hard for a Fire-Type. Immediately I thought of the DynamicPunch but, they're stupid PSYCHIC/Rock-types so that made it not too effective. Thus, I had to mainly depend on my Ludicolo and his "Surf".

(NOTE: This was a little while back slightly before GameStop stopped selling anything that had to do with GameBoys)
In Emerald though, it was much easier because I had found out about "Soft Resetting" and I really didn't want to start my Sapphire over and I really wanted an Emerald version so I thought, "What the hell, let's buy an Emerald copy!" So I bought a copy and did about 3,500 soft resets. I had been taking tallies on a piece of paper with me, but I gave up slightly after 3,500 so I did it a couple dozen more times and I accidentally clicked Mudkip, I yelped: "Crap!" but then I had a huge spaz attack because it was a shiny one, so of course I kept it. When I got to Tate & Liza it was an easy win for Ludicolo and Swampert.

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
The only one that I found to be difficult, to be honest, was Brawly. Mainly because of that Makuhita of his with Reversal and the Sitrus Berry.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I actually did not have any problems with any of the Hoenn gym leaders in any of my Pokemon games. I believe that the hardest gym leader depends on how you create your Pokemon team; thats the best way I can explain it.

:t354:TG

Feebas

Unevolved
Years
Tate and Liza obliterated my Blaziken (which is my lead Pokémon) on my first try. Lucky I saved before fighting them.....

Years
  • Seen Dec 7, 2012
My poor poor Blaziken, Lairon, linoone, absol, and Pelipper...they just couldn't handle Winona's Altaria...It is so strong! Norman was a breeze and wattson was a cake walk, but I always get stuck in fortree city and by the time i leave there i'm level 50

Years
Roxanne: My Mudkip destroyed her
Brawly: Kadabra did the job perfectly
Wattson No problem for Marshtomp and Mudshot
Flannery: Marshtomp kicked ass
Norman: Swampert did the Job
Winona: I, Aggron + Rollout = complete destruction but I had to train my Lairon tryhard
Tate and Lisa: Somehow destroyed my team and today I still don't know why they destroyed me that much and that many times
Wallace/Juan: Hmm Electrike and Breloom did the job pretty well

Years
Tate & Liza most definitely. Especially in R/S. they used to obliterate my team of 35-39 levelled Pokemon, I had no chance ;.;

In Emerald though I think Norman was pretty difficult to beat. He kept using Belly Drum and I kept losing. It was awful.

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
Tate and Liza that hellish pair I'm used to fighting Gym Leaders pokemon one at a time getting to the tougher ones and swapping out whenever I needed to, but these two are all of that gone. Grrr....
Here is a list of difference between levels with the previous gym Leader (Roxanne is excluded because there is no Gym Leader before her)

#1 - Tate & Liza - 9
#2/3 - Wattson - 5
#3/3 - Flannery - 5
#4 - Brawly - 4
#5 - Juan - 3
#6/7 - Norman - 2
#6/7 - Winona - 2

Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2014
tate and lisa. i remember the last time i played i kept making save states when i was close to winning XD

i hated wattson as well, there didn't seem to be any ground types when i needed them

norman? as long as i have my trusty combusken it's SO easy

Years
I remember having a pretty hard time with Brawley, since I'm just not crazy about Taillow or Wingull- and so there was no real super-effectiveness in my battle with Brawley.

However, Norman could be pretty hard too, and WINONA.. That Altaria with Earthquake just... caught me WAY off guard.

And Tate/Liza were a decent challenge too. The more I think about it the more I realise how good RSE were in terms of Gym difficulty...

Dr. Slavic

Last of the Wailords
Years
Norman was always the battle I dreaded up until him; the only time it took me less than five times to beat him was the one run I was packing a Makuhita / Hariyama (Can't remember what it was) under my belt. Tate & Liza I've also found can be difficult, because you can't exploit their Psychic typing for weakness.

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2013
No matter how hard I trained my pokemon, I couldn't beat Brawly! It was only after my Combusken was on lv 25 that I beat him.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2013
Probably Norman; his Slakings always did major damage on my Pokemon whereas none of mine could inflict barely anything on his at all.

Tate and Liza are tricky to beat too. Occasionally.

Master Xemnas

Seeker of Light
Years
Wattson with his Manectric and his Magneton , that was a pain , cause i took Treecko at the beginning
Also Norman with his Slaking , this pokemon is a beast , 680 total stats , like Ubers

Last edited:

DelightedTurk

Hipsterest Hypno in the land
Years
For me it was a tough decision between Tate&Liza and Norman. Norman's Slaking on Ruby absolutely would demolish my team every time, even Mightyena's Intimidate didn't offer any help. And Tate&Liza were tough for me due to it being a double battle and Surf not doing much to either of them...

But I decided to go for Norman for the sheer amount of times I had to take him on in order to beat him.

Back