• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Anyone here NOT like using "HM Slaves"?

Do you use "HM Slaves"?

• YES, I teach all HM's to 2 Pokemon.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • NO, I split HM's up amongst my team.

Votes: 38 48.1%
  • I keep Pokemon with HM's in the PC until needed.

Votes: 28 35.4%

• Total voters

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
HM slaves might be helpful for some people, but I like to play differently. No matter what Pokémon I have in my party I always like to have all HM's on me at once so that I'm not restricted in any way during gameplay. With that being said, I also don't like to shove all of them onto 2 Pokémon. I prefer to split them up, so that I can always be prepared, but at the same time have all of my Pokémon be battle ready. I also like to use field moves that apply to different games, such as Dig in every generation and Secret Power in generation 3. I'm aware that I can't make the most powerful team this way and that it is no good competitively, but it's not about that for me. It's about being prepared while still having strong Pokémon, even if it means they can't be the strongest. Anyone else here like to do this? Here's my current Ruby team to show what I mean:

- BLAZIKEN: Flamethrower, Blaze Kick, Sky Uppercut, Rock Smash (HM06)
- MANECTRIC: Thunder, Thunderbolt, Spark, Flash (HM05)
- WAILORD: Hydro Pump, Surf (HM03), Waterfall (HM07), Dive (HM08)
- AGGRON: Iron Tail, Rock Tomb, Dig, Cut (HM01)
- MIGHTYENA: Crunch, Bite, Thief, Strength (HM04)
- SWELLOW: Fly (HM02), Aerial Ace, Secret Power, Facade

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
It's a nice idea to distribute them throughought the team, but having obligatory moves on the team with every playthrough is just boring, honestly. When one plays each new Pokemon game, one is still forced to use the same moves which in battle are all, except Surf and Waterfall (and, at that, one doesn't really want both on the same monster), redundant or plain bad. It can ruin the team's ability to battle effectively; any single Water-type knowing all of Surf/Watterfall/Dive ruins its potential to do anything useful for either the team or itself in battle. I personally keep HM thralls in the PC until the moments I need them. It's quite a bother with Fly, but there's nothing else I can do about that if I don't want to have the move around. I'd only build HMs into the team if playing RBGY.

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

I always use a HM slave because I'd rather dump all of my necessary HMs on one Pokemon because most are horrible except for Surf and Watefall and I don't want my main Pokemon to have to waste a moveslot.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
I usually carry one HM Slave. There's a lot of items that you need rock smash or cut to get to, so I like to have something that can learn those two moves. I usually have a free spot on my team until fairly late in the game so I'm not really hurting my team by using up the party slot either.

However, I do teach moves like Strength, Surf, Whirlpool, etc. to my main team members because they're fairly strong.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I have the same opinion as the OP, I just can't have a HM slave! My Pokemon team is actually built around HM moves, it must know at least one. If I like the Pokemon but it doesn't know the necessary HM, then I'm not using it...

I'm not going to always switch out someone in the box just because I didn't want a 'wasted' move slot...

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I build the HMs into my team. HM slaves are just annoying. I hate thinking "Oh, I've to go back to my computer now to get Xmon cause he has Cut". And now Flash isn't even a HM so it isn't a waste of space anymore! But when I need flash I give it to my team's psychic type. Being honest, I think Fly, Surf and Strength are fairly decent attacks so I've no qualms about having them on the team.

As for the other HM slots, if I really feel the slot could be used for something better there's move deleters that I can visit so it's not too bad :)

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
I don't like using HM slaves, so I usually build them into my team. However, HMs themselves are really annoying and imo should have never been implemented.

Years
HM Slaves are almost a necessity because most HMs are pitifully weak and you'd rather cram all the bad moves into one Pokemon if you want to use the other five to their fullest extent.

As harsh as it sounds, it's just a game, so there's not much need to feel any sentimental about it.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
HM Slaves are almost a necessity because most HMs are pitifully weak and you'd rather cram all the bad moves into one Pokemon if you want to use the other five to their fullest extent.

As harsh as it sounds, it's just a game, so there's not much need to feel any sentimental about it.

That's the beauty of video games, you can play them however you please. For me personally, I'd rather have 6 Pokémon that are great for battling with HM's split up than have 4 Pokémon that are perfect for battling and 2 Pokémon that have 4 HM's. I'd rather waste a move slot than waste an entire Pokémon.

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2014
I try not to. But theres always a pokemon thatll have more hms than the others. Although i even them out pretty well

Years
I'm usually split in what I decide to do. Sometimes, I'll have a dedicated HM slave in my party with a few of my other Pokemon having an HM, or I'll try to do an even split between by team, especially when there are fewer essential HMs. If I have the later, though, I try and give the HMs to Pokemon that you might not expect to have them (such as giving Druddigon Surf in White 2, when I already had a Samurott on my team).

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I usually only carry Fly and Surf with me, the rest I use an HM slave. Reason that, for example, in my current playthrough of Black 2, my prime candidates for learning Strength and Waterfall already have other moves with them, which would break their coverage. My Heracross, for example, has Megahorn, Close Combat, Night Slash and Rock Slide. I'm not getting rid of any of those for Strength.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
When I was younger, I didn't even think to use them. I just made sure the HMs that were necessary were distributed accordingly amongst my team, which made moveset limits, and sometimes even team limits, like not being able to use a Pokemon I wanted.

If you wanna feel better about using HM slaves (I personally don't have time or space for crap moves like Cut and Flash) call it HM buddy. Sounds better, right?

Years
I tend to spread them around my team. For that reason, I usually have at least one Water and one Flying type in my team. I'm totally fine with that. Most of the time, I'll skip HMs like Cut and Rock Smash unless they're necessary to progress.

Shizzable

The Derpiest One Of All
Years
I never use HM slaves. I basically do what you mentioned at the beginning, but only with moves that are decent. I always have someone with Strength, Surf, and Fly on my team because they are usable moves (even though I had to make a sacrifice such as putting fly, a physical move, on a Sigilyph, who is Special-based). I get rid of flash, cut, rock smash, etc. Though after the first half or so of the game.

Meaii

The countdown begins ...
Years
The only time I ever use HM Slaves is in Nuzlocke or a Solo Challenge, all of my other playthroughs have the Hidden Machines spread across the whole of my team, not just one having four different HMs. I just don't think it's the 'trainer' thing to do, you're meant to care for your Pokémon and not make them your slaves.

PokeChris123

Pokémon Trainer
Years
I always use a HM slave because I don't like the HM moves in battle. I think they are very useless and prefer to use on them on a Pokemon for just HM moves. The only exceptions are Surf and Fly, which are moves I love during battle. So I teach them to my main Pokemon team.

Starlight Sprite

Resident Moon Fairy
Years
I don't really use HM slaves because I don't like having a Pokemon around that's useless in battle. Gen5 made this even easier since TMs are now reusable, so any Pokemon with a TM move can temporarily be taught an HM until it's no longer needed, and then brought to the Move Deleter without losing the old move forever.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
im sorry but i disagree on your opinion. "HM slaves" are pokemons that we must use, because if we give our best pokemon HM's like you do, we will have to make room for less moves of our pokemon. I mean, i have a Fearow and a Pidgeotte. I love fearow more so i will train him harder and give pidgeotte "Fly" you know why? because if i want to train my pokemon far away, i will use him to move there. Because his only purpose in life is to fill my dex. you gave Wailord surf,dive and waterfall.....its a little too much for a pokemon who is already not with a good movepool.
Also off-topic: You gave your starter HM?! Such bad trainers make me sick :)

Back