• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Umbreon is for grown ups?

Pinta77

Umbreon is for grown ups. Think about it. The pokemon games are aimed at kids but you have to evolve eevee at night to get an umbreon. The last thing parents want is there kids up late at night playing video games!

So the only logical explanation is that umbreon is a pokemon for grown ups cuz grown ups can stay awake as late as they want.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Haha, that is something I've never thought of before. However, since it's "night" pretty early in the games, 6 pm in Gen II and 8 or 9 pm in later Gens, I don't think GameFreak meant for Umbreon to be more of a grown-up directed pokémon than Espeon or others. Sure, in Japanese "dark type" was translated from "evil type" so the whole Dark type is shady and questionably child friendly already.

I used to play my Gameboy games before I fell asleep, in bed :3 And it was night by then in the games, even if you go to bed as early as 8 or 9 pm. So even if it's fun to think about, I wouldn't call Umbreon more of a pokémon for grown-ups than others.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Yeah, certainly in the games Umbreon was first in, 6pm is pretty reasonable to wait for imo. And in later gens, there was the option to change the DS/3DS clock as well to manipulate things like this, leastways if you didn't mind screwing over with things like berries.

Guest123_x1

As has been already said, in Gen. II, night comes at 6PM, and besides, some kids might stay up late anyway, especially if they're on a school break, or (in some areas), school is closed due to an emergency (such as a snowstorm) the next day according to the radio or television broadcasts.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
Oh please, like no kid has ever stayed up late one night under their covers with their Pokemon game. You know we all did that at least once, hee hee. XD I know I stayed up late one night to grind levels in the hopes of beating Misty before going to sleep (yeah, didn't happen. I started with Charmander and it didn't occur to me to just go back to the Viridian Forest to get extra Pikachus)....

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
Oh please, like no kid has ever stayed up late one night under their covers with their Pokemon game. You know we all did that at least once, hee hee. XD I know I stayed up late one night to grind levels in the hopes of beating Misty before going to sleep (yeah, didn't happen. I started with Charmander and it didn't occur to me to just go back to the Viridian Forest to get extra Pikachus)....

If you can even go back to Viridian Forest once you've gotten to Cerulean City since there is a ledge blocking you from going back to mt moon. XP

Anyway, it's pretty much agreed that the night requirement could be for older ages, but maybe it's just them taking a logical approach to it's evolution.(if Espeon evolves by day, than it's opposite counterpart is obviously supposed to evolve at night.) And they tried to make the clock as early as they can if the night back in Gen 2 starts at 6 PM

LuminescentUmbreon

Eeveelution Trainer
Years
I've never thought of that, haha. I think it was just Game Freak introducing the day/night cycle into the games so they decided to put in an evolution that used it to show it off.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
If you can even go back to Viridian Forest once you've gotten to Cerulean City since there is a ledge blocking you from going back to mt moon. XP
Ah yeah, that's right! I forgot about that little ledge. No wonder I was like, "Welp, maybe if I try attacking her with a Charizard since Pikachu quit listening....." instead of getting more Pikachus.....

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Eh, I don't really see Umbreon as a pokemon for adults, but I gguess on could view it as that. Umbreon does seem to be the ruler of the night.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
We could pretty much say the same about Kyurem as it also has legend because of which kids had to be closed in homes so Kyurem wouldn't eat them =D
I don't think any Pokemon is for children/grown-ups... every Pokemon is for everyone =)

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
Dunno 'bout anybody else, but I'd regularly be going to bed at 11 o'clock-midnight as young as 8-9. I also remember pulling an all-nighter beating the Elite 4 in Gold.

Years
As some people have pointed out, "night" starts quite early in the games; I often went to bed around 9 p.m as a child so it was never really an issue to catch or deal with any "night" pokémon. From a design perspective Umbreon isn't particularly scary/evil or insinuating to anything adult. Also, if you forget the game aspect but analyze it from some sort of ecosystem perspective, there is nothing inherently adult about being a night creature.

Aiden Blue

Cincinnati's Trainer
Years
Umbreon for the win! lolz. Never really ♥♥♥♥♥♥ with the Eevee'lutions after Gen 1. They all look pretty, and interesting, but by the time I beat the game, and start competitive battling, I don't have time to focus on evolving Eevee's.

Umbreon has always peaked my interest, along with Noctowl, because well... I'am a bit of a Night Owl myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burakki Tsuki

Now playing Pokemon again! :D
Years
Oh yea Umbreon! I don't think it's only for grown ups I stayed up pretty late to get mine back in the day. I guess if you have extremely stick parents you wouldn't be able to get them. I would wait until everyone was asleep and grind it out in the night, and umbreon owned the night! ;)

These days I play more at night then anything so I don't have to try to get a Umbreon its always night when I play unless it's the weekend.

Platina Berlitz

Pure bliss
Years
You could always just reset the clock on your DS. Nighttime did come early in early ggenerations . Also I used to sneak gameboy games when I couldn't sleep xD

Aiden Blue

Cincinnati's Trainer
Years
I would wait until everyone was asleep and grind it out in the night.

... This is so GIGGITY! I can imagine a little boy under the sheets, making noises, and a parent walks in thinking he was doing "you know what", and pulls down the sheets to see him playing a Game Boy. XD That would make for a great comic. =P

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yoooo Umbreon is my favorite. I have no problems staying up late to get Eevee to evolve into one. Then again though, I'm 21 so if someone tries to give me a bedtime, it won't work.

Omicron

the day was mine
Years
I've never thought of that, haha. I think it was just Game Freak introducing the day/night cycle into the games so they decided to put in an evolution that used it to show it off.

This. ^

It started as a novelty evolution method because the night and day cycles were introduced that generation. Just like Inkay evolving while holding your 3DS upside down thanks to the gyroscope incorporated in the 3DS.

Back