• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When will you quit playing Pokemon?

At what age?

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I'll be the first post to say I already did. Exactly when I turned 15.

It's not a matter of believing that I've outgrown it or not. (Though more and more I realize the games feel far too childish for my own good.) I did try and play Heart Gold last June for whatever reason, but I couldn't keep at it after 3 days or so. The Pokemon games are painfully bland, and since I've played a wide variety of others games I couldn't help but feel that they're too mediocre for me. Collect-a-thons aren't my thing, and there are superior RPGs out there so there is absolutely no reason for me to play them. And I don't have the time either, because between school and boxing I'd rather play something else that I'd enjoy more in my free time. My old love for the series is gone, and I doubt I'll ever get it back, because Pokemon's juice has already ran out for me, and B/W left an extremely bad taste in my mouth, regardless of it trying to actually change the tired formula. (Which ended up being a bad idea.)

Also, I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to look back. So even if Pokemon was a big part of my childhood, I wouldn't let that stop me from doing better things. (Basically, nostalgia doesn't have an effect on me.)

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
I will play until I stop enjoying the games. Simple as that. And even then, I'll still play the older games.

Valvatorez

Prinny Instructor
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
I'll stop playing when I'm bored, or when another franchise is released that does everything that Pokemon does and does it better. I'm surprised I'm not bored of the franchise yet to be honest, when each game is essentially the same formula wrapped up in a slightly different package. I'm also surprised that no other developer has been able to devise a better kind of monster catching game; Pokemon pretty much holds the monopoly on that type of game, at least for me. As far as RPGs go, the games are massively outclassed by others I could name, but as far as the whole monster catching mechanic goes, they're without peer.

I don't think there is a set age for this and, even if I skip a generation (as I nearly did with the fifth) I think I'll probably still give later games a look-in and pick them up if I like the look of them. There is a high probability I'll keep going until either the franchise dies or I do; whichever comes first. Who knows what the future holds? At the moment, I have no pressing urge to stop playing these games.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I quit playing Pokemon when I was about 15. I told myself that I'd grown out of it, that I'd done everything I could in Gens I-III, and the prospect of games being remade made me feel a little disappointed. 'Why remake old games instead of coming up with new ones?' was my thought process at the time. That, coupled with an intense dislike for the fandom, meant it was relatively easy to cut Pokemon completely out of my life. And because I wasn't coming to PC, I never felt the need to check in on Diamond and Pearl, so those games completely skipped my radar until Lucario appeared in Super Smash Bros Brawl!

I only came back to Pokemon after my room-mate at university said he was going to get one of either Black or White. It turns out he didn't (and still hasn't!) but that sort of resparked my interest, and while I wouldn't say my love of Pokemon came flooding back. My desire to return to this place did. After buying Black, slowly but surely, all the good memories I had of playing the games started to return.

I don't think I'm as big a fan of the games now as I was when I was 10-or-so. But I do like them for what they are. I'll inevitably buy the next generation of games when they come out, but probably not as soon as they're released or anything. Life goes on, and preferences do change, like it or not. But I don't know when I'm going to quit. Haven't got a magic-8-ball for that.

Also, this is more a gaming question, so I'mma move it to PGC now.

Moving on up

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
Pokemon is a video game for someone of any age. It can be played for hours at a time, or in short bursts. So even as I grow older and have work to worry about I can continue to play Pokemon. If you're a dedicated Pokemon fan, there's no reason to think you'll stop--saying that is like saying "Well at age 40 I'm going to stop watching TV altogether." Maybe your interest will die down and you'll stop but you can't really predict when that will happen. Either way, for me, I highly doubt I will ever stop.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
NEIN!!...I dont really plan to stop playing the games. If they ever stop making new games i'll just play the old ones for fun. When i bored of that i'll play peoples hacks. And tbh pokemon has so much untapped potential and possibility i dont think the franchise will end anytime soon. So yea I'll nevah stop.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
I was fairly close to quitting Pokemon. I stopped playing BW for several months now and didn't pick up BW2 on launch date. All the buzz and the posts made me want to get White 2. hmph. Although Pokemon is a huge part of my life, I believe I will be over it by age 30. Dunno why 30. My older brother plays PS3 and he's above 30. I don't know how he handles that and all his responsibilities, though.

I just had to quote this 1!! Why 30?? I'm over 30 and am still playing it and don't ever see a part in my life where I will ever stop playing or collecting any thing pokemon related!! I guess I'm in it til I am no more!! :laugh:

Nes-One

Another Person Into Pokemon
Years
I really don't think I'll ever stop playing as long as I have an internet connection and computer, even if they stop making physical copies of the games, there will still probably be emulators and roms around that you can download. I can see that I'll die before I think about not playing pokemon anymore.

EQUALSGAMER

Proud user of Garbodor
Years
I vow to play pokemon until the franchise dies nay, until I DIE nay, EVEN IN THE AFTER LIFE I SHALL PLAY POKEMON!

Years
Honestly, I'm not super into Pokemon, but it is still part of my life. I'm already seem to be slightly losing interest, so I would say maybe in my late 20s I'll get bored and stop playing. And I'm afraid new responsibilities arising in my life will hold me back From finally catching em' all!

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I don't know when or if I'll stop playing. I may forget about from here to there due to being busy with life, but I don't see myself quit Pokemon. When they stop making games, I'll possibly just keep replaying all the games I have.

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2013
I quitted in 2004, and begun playing again a couple of months ago. 3 4 and fifth generations are new to me, the whole breeding and ev training thing is new to me.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I'll probably stop when they stop making the games or when life catches up to me and i just forget about gaming altogether.

shinyarceus4

G-G-G-GODLIKE!
Years
Only a harsh life can stop me from playing my favorite series in its many forms. Even if GameFreak stops making the games, I will never stop.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
As much as it pains me to say this, it's the truth. I haven't played Pokemon since this time last year. It's not that i'm too old, or I don't want to. I think i'm generally losing interest. I wanted to vote for Til' I die, but that isn't the case. My estimate you say? I'm guessing i'll quit in my mid 20's, yes I do know that is a while away (10-11 years in fact), but I still love Pokemon. But not forever. I've been playing for 8 years, I think I might stick around for 8-11 more ;)

Back