• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Nameless Sprite Editor [Classic]

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
does it not already? or were you talking about the whole pallettes thing?
*edit*
is it just me or does any size besides 16 (when importing a bitmap) make a crash on the program?
(yes, i resized the ROMS sprite too...)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2015
i think you can better make an ini with every index and frame as offset cuz when we can add more we can add it and change it
and maybe an extra idea
can you make it possible that it can add sprites so instead of idk how much you can do 500 or something
i hope you get it soon finished

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
wow, this is definitly one of the new programs they gotta ad into PHT. Great tool you have there. Maybe a colour picker would help out the beginners...

Pogeygothaxed

Pokémon exDeltaSpecies Creator
Years
does it not already? or were you talking about the whole pallettes thing?
*edit*
is it just me or does any size besides 16 (when importing a bitmap) make a crash on the program?
(yes, i resized the ROMS sprite too...)

I was talking about the extended pallet part, yes.

Also, hmm. I inserted one by 32x32 and it didn't seem to crash.
Then, I tried another 24x24, and it inserted also without a crash.

I'd suggest you make sure that you set the size (i.e.24x24) before, save, and then import it. Or else you might see that crash, or an error, or something.

Apart from this, you should make sure you're using the framework 3.5, because I had a problem, too, before I updated my frame work when I tried to save the changes in the perferences. And if it's already installed, like mine was, re-download and repair it, and it should work after that. (Mine did.) Hope it helps. :)

@ Link, I can't seem to find any other bugs. Thanks again for this awesome tool it's been really helpful so far in my hack.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
UPDATE!
Now can export the sprites as 16 color bitmaps!:)
Wiell...this is either a bug, or just something you didn't add yet but for me i get an error when trying to import a bmp bigger than 16x32 even if i have resized the sprite in game. A 32x32 (and all the other default sizes i'll assume) import works, but 17x32 does not, and 18x32 etc does not (all produce the same error)
And also, i think there is a bug when resizing the sprites, the sprite is loaded just fine in any ow editor, *but* in game its a different story; (for me) there were a bunch of transparent (vertical) lines corrupting the ow. I think i found the problem by looking at the unknown bytes in OWRE in both the resized sprite and a not-resized sprite, and there was the problem; one of the "unknown bytes" had become FFFF. Tomorrow, when i have time i'll tell you how to fix with a hex editor, but nao, i can't off the top of my head. But yea...i would ask that you remove the part of your code that messes with the unknown bytes because it *does* mess up your game (that's the problem with "Overworld Changer" as well)

TAKUORO

Pyro from WAH ;D
Years
Great tool!
no bugs so far... good luck with it, it's pretty good.

btw: It will have support for the JPAN engine?
It would be very usefull :)

EDIT: oh and how much bytes does it need to resize sprites?

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2015
i exported a library but with what can we edit it
cuz i tryed to open with photoshop and that cant

Pogeygothaxed

Pokémon exDeltaSpecies Creator
Years
Wiell...this is either a bug, or just something you didn't add yet but for me i get an error when trying to import a bmp bigger than 16x32 even if i have resized the sprite in game. A 32x32 (and all the other default sizes i'll assume) import works, but 17x32 does not, and 18x32 etc does not (all produce the same error)
And also, i think there is a bug when resizing the sprites, the sprite is loaded just fine in any ow editor, *but* in game its a different story; (for me) there were a bunch of transparent (vertical) lines corrupting the ow. I think i found the problem by looking at the unknown bytes in OWRE in both the resized sprite and a not-resized sprite, and there was the problem; one of the "unknown bytes" had become FFFF. Tomorrow, when i have time i'll tell you how to fix with a hex editor, but nao, i can't off the top of my head. But yea...i would ask that you remove the part of your code that messes with the unknown bytes because it *does* mess up your game (that's the problem with "Overworld Changer" as well)

Oh, I see this "bug" now...yeah, I have the same problem. I think it's just lack of support, though. He'll probably add it in the next release. It -is- still a Beta. :) We'll have to be patient. So far, though, it's still better than most other OW editors, simply because of the extended options. (imo)

I'll be waiting for the next release. Keep up the good work, Link.

link12552

decade club
Years
Small Update:

Some changes to bitmap exports and the size changes (sizes need to be multiples of eight)
Palette format is different: all sprite palettes (that exist for OW's) are available, but in hex format now...
Displays more info in advanced mode
-and-
Now accepts an optional settings.ini file (which has to be located in the same directory as NSE):)

Format:
Code:
        [Header]
        Inherits: "Original Game header, without quotes"
        Start offset = "The start of the sprite table, without quotes"
        Start palette = "The start of the sprite palette table, without quotes"
        [/Header]
Example:
Code:
[LINK]
Inherits: BPRE
Start offset = &H367C38
Start palette = &H3A5158
[/LINK]
Inherits: << is mandatory, the rest is voluntary.
There's no limit to how many "pointer tables" you have in the file, as long as they follow the format(Capitalization does not matter)

Also the re-size bug has been acknowledged and I'm working as fast as I can to fix it...:nervous:
The bug seems to be with the "unknown" information needing to be changed, but to different values in different tables, which change with the different roms!!!!

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2015
i did that re size on prof oak,(this in NSE) then i putted in a pic of 32 by 32 and i did that in overworld editor it does work

Eunbi

Croagunk Tamer
Years
16 Colors feels so limited...

This tools' awesome though,really.

Last edited:

link12552

decade club
Years
UPDATE

Update!

- Added a basic palette editor
- Now can toggle view from index to sprite table
- Fixed the re size function for Firered and Leafgreen...

Palette editor Screen-shot:

pedit.png

Clicking the colors will open the windows color picker dialog, typing in the colors will update them,

and the color picker works for the entire screen.

Now in the settings file you can add a pointer to the ROM's stored sprite table:

Example:
Code:
[TEST]
Inherits: BPRE
Sprite table = &H39fdb0
[/TEST]
Sprite table ( like Start offset and Start palette) is not a mandatory pointer though,

Research is being done on the correct unknown bytes for AXV, AXP, and BPE

Last edited:

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
wow a pallette editor with a coolour picker!!! but i assume you would still need to index your OW before using it?

link12552

decade club
Years
UPDATE!!

Added offset browsing...

- Supports any multiple of 8 size up to 128, 128
- Uses the current palette ( good or bad? )

Example:

1. open Firered
  2. Make sure you're on the first index (you'll see why)
  3. In view go to offset
  4. Change the size to 64, 64
  5. Make the offset E69EFC
  6. Feint and fall over!!!!!
Image: ( Don't look at until you try it ;) )
Spoiler:

Can be used for editing tiles in game, grass and water animations, and much more

Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2010
The sprites look fine viewing them in the program but they don't keep their palettes when I put them into the game. They still use the palette of the original sprite despite me changing which palette they use.

Last edited:
Back