• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Official Project: Alpha Fan (PAF) Thread

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
alphafan.png

This is the official thread for Project: Alpha Fan (PAF), which is an attempt to either break, or set (in the case there isn't a record yet) a really low time for fastest playthrough of any game in the main Pokemon series. I'm Myrrh, not the actual founder of this challenge (credit goes to ChrisTom, thanks for that), but I was one of the two people (with seal, I think) to really take a liking to this, and to try my best for it. A few attempts later, and here I am, trying to start it back up. I have a good feeling about this time, though.

Here are some rules:
1. No cheating/hacking devices are permitted (no speed codes, always crit codes, etc. Self explanatory, really.)
2. In the case of Pokemon, no taking advantage of glitches (Mew glitch, Missingno. glitch. The Pokedoll glitch doesn't count.
3. A camera must record the entire playthrough of the game, so as to assure that no cheating occured. The camera also has to record a small segment at the start showing everything that you are using.
4. No trading, to either evolve Pokemon, get better moves for the Pokemon you have, level up the Pokemon you have, or trade in new Pokemon altogether.
5. They didn't say anything about maps and charts. Yes, they are aiding us, but they don't directly effect the game, so they're fine to use.
6. I am unclear about the rule on emulators. For some reason, I think you can use emulators. I'll check with Guinness when its time to actually do the final run about all the specifics.

Here are the current members that are going to be working on this project. I'd like to keep it as small as possible after this, less people means an easier communication between us, but I might allow one or two more people. Anyways, here are some people helping on this project right now:

Myrrhman
RHIOneAlbum
Karpman
Inferno Rogue
jespoke
jdthebud
chaos11011
Alternative
BarelyMe
MamoswineFTW

For selecting Pokemon to use, I believe it best if we don't all work on the same Pokemon. Here are some of the Pokemon that are being talked about.

Nidoking, currently being tested by Myrrhman
Blastoise, currently being tested by RHIOneAlbum
Kadabra, currently being tested by Karpman
Dugtrio, currently being tested by MamoswineWTF
Venusaur
Nidoking/Blastoise duo, currently being tested by jdthebud

Here's some userbars, made by RHIOneAlbum:
alphafanuserbar1.png

alphafanuserbar2.png

The above banner made by Karpman.

This spot reserved for maps and charts.

Last edited:

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020
So we are 7/8 now. Lets see how this works out :) Most of the list (If not all) are people who talk in the CI&D regularly, with i personally like :D

Well lets get started then, with my question i started on in the CI&D:

What does segmented mean? I guessed that you record small pieces separately, and end up with a complete playthrough, but i wanted it confirmed. This allows for doing a segment over and over 'till you get that deciding crit.

While i wrote that, and the more details i ad'ed to it, the more sure i became that that was the right answer. Am i right? :cheeky:

I've started my research! (When i get worked up about something, i do a whole lot for it. Expect some more on my completely free tomorow :cool:):

- 1. Gen has 3 Pokemon in the "Fast" Exp group: Chansey, Wigglytuff and Clefable. Chansey is too weak and rare, Wigglytuff has bad moves, but Clefable is viable.
- Obvious maybe, but the starters are perfect for this. Good stats and moves. All in the medium slow experience group, with needs less exp than medium fast until lv 68, making it better for this.

Last edited:

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
Years
I've got working cartridges of Red, Blue, and possibly Crystal. (iirc?) If saving isn't a factor during a run, then I also have Gold and two Silvers. For later gens, I've also got pretty much every main series game except for Platinum and Black.
My only problem is that I don't have a camcorder or anything. And I'm not exactly sure how well my webcam would suffice, especially when it is implanted into the screen of my laptop. I'd have to literally flip my laptop towards the game and somehow manage to get a good camera shot, which is pretty darn hard. :/

EternalLoathing

Challenge Stalker
Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2011
I've started my research! (When i get worked up about something, i do a whole lot for it. Expect some more on my completely free tomorow :cool:):

- 1. Gen has 3 Pokemon in the "Fast" Exp group: Chansey, Wigglytuff and Clefable. Chansey is too weak and rare, Wigglytuff has bad moves, but Clefable is viable.
- Obvious maybe, but the starters are perfect for this. Good stats and moves. All in the medium slow experience group, with needs less exp than medium fast until lv 68, making it better for this.

IF we doing Speed RU,Bulbasaur's the best,super effective against 2 first gyms,and good against Surge

jespoke

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020
Some small seconds you can gain thousands of:

- High speed and attack/special is handy, as it makes battles go far faster than with defensive build pokemon.
- Battle animations off
- Use repels
- Use healing items rather than going back
- Don't alter your path to get an extra potion, poke ball etc.
- Buy many items at a time
- Choose Max repel over super repel ect.

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
The best Pokemon for a segmented run is Blastoise. why? Mega Punch/Dig take care of Misty and Surge, and after those gyms he gets overleveled. In the Elite Four, he learns Ice Beam and Fissure (with X Accuracys), as well as Surf. That coupled with saving for the segaments...

Really, the tough part is the begininng. You need to get a somewhat high IV squirtle, i believe, which can make for some initial resets and testing.

once you get to Celedon City, the battles get easier, and it becomes more about taking the right path and managing healing, etc.

I would strongly encourage watching the 1:59 run that's posted on Speed Demos Archive.

These runs also include notes by the guy running it, which could be helpful for noobs at this like me. There's a lot of planning involved, especially with paths and stuff.

I have to say that it will be incredibly difficult to beat the times listed, but since these aren't official Guinness WR (IIRC)....

oh, and I have a Blue cart and Pocket Gameboy. I have to wonder what the method for capturing the video will be.

jespoke

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020
I just thought: Is a solo that much faster than a duo with types that compliment each other? I mean, the 1.59 looses some time on 3/4HKO's in Gym/Rival Battles and 2HKO's that could be OHKO's :/

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Did I seriously have to type this entire message out 4 times?

I'm breaking this post into two parts. Part 1, I'm answering your posts and stuff. Part 2, I'm contributing new stuff.
Spoiler:

jespoke

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020
@ Myrrh
Ok, I'll give some of the rarer used stuff, like duo and charmander a try though, mainly because i like having multiple pokemon and Charmander :) Not both at the same time though, is i don't have a good partner for fire :/

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
I guess I'll be helping out with this, since my name is listed lmao. I won't be able to offer much support though, but I'll try to give some pointers out whenever I can. :)

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Bah, I'll just make a new post instead of editing that one. More people will see it...

Below, I'm going to tell you how I picked the Pokemon I thought were worthy of trying. What I advise, if you want to follow this, is to find an image of all the Pokemon, get in Microsoft Paint, and erase/cross them out when you take them off the list. So, without further ado, here is Myrrh's 5 steps to picking a Pokemon:
Spoiler:

Next, I have a few maps and charts that might be useful. The first one is a complete map of Kanto, with every pickupable item, every trainer with every Pokemon that they have, all with a note of how much exp you get from every Pokemon. Just posting the link in a spoiler, the map is so big.
Here's a list of all the "bosses" in the game, along with the stats that each of their Pokemon have
Spoiler:
I couldn't get Rival inside Pokemon Tower, because the ghosts prevent you from catching his Pokemon, even if you have a code on for catch enemy Pokemon.
Here is what I think should happen every run. Its a list of which moves to use on the Pokemon you fight.
Spoiler:

Gray highlight is for what to buy in shops, Green is random checkpoints to make sure I'm on the right levels, and light blue is another check up after every gym leader.

More info coming soon

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
As for items: X ITEMS ROCK!!!!!!!! Especially if you are using Fissure or Horn Drill, although for a nonsegmented, you wouldn't use those moves. Segmented, Blizzard and Thunder become useable as well.

Also, the Zapdos was used in the NON segmented run. the 1:59 just had Blastoise with Surf, Blizzard, Fissure, and Strength, and was at L52 when he challenged the champion. He relied a lot on luck manipulation and X items, especially in the Elite Four.

BarelyMe

Jackass of Hearts
Years
  • Age 25
  • Rio
  • Seen Aug 12, 2011
Well,what would be the remaining families?

Squirtle
NidoranM
NidoranF
Abra

ANd 9 more.

jespoke

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020
Bah, I'll just make a new post instead of editing that one. More people will see it...

Below, I'm going to tell you how I picked the Pokemon I thought were worthy of trying. What I advise, if you want to follow this, is to find an image of all the Pokemon, get in Microsoft Paint, and erase/cross them out when you take them off the list. So, without further ado, here is Myrrh's 5 steps to picking a Pokemon:
Spoiler:

Next, I have a few maps and charts that might be useful. The first one is a complete map of Kanto, with every pickupable item, every trainer with every Pokemon that they have, all with a note of how much exp you get from every Pokemon. Just posting the link in a spoiler, the map is so big.
Here's a list of all the "bosses" in the game, along with the stats that each of their Pokemon have
Spoiler:
I couldn't get Rival inside Pokemon Tower, because the ghosts prevent you from catching his Pokemon, even if you have a code on for catch enemy Pokemon.
Here is what I think should happen every run. Its a list of which moves to use on the Pokemon you fight.
Spoiler:

Gray highlight is for what to buy in shops, Green is random checkpoints to make sure I'm on the right levels, and light blue is another check up after every gym leader.

More info coming soon

WOW 0.o Those things are extremely useful :D Especially knowing with trainers have single, high exp yielding Pokemon like the optional jigglypuff lass on route 3 imao :)

Last edited:

Hacki101

I use too many smileys.... :P
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 14, 2014
I would like to help, but what i was going to do has already been done (Listing exp for each trainer). A note to say if each trainer is skippable would also be useful and at what consequence (eg some bug trainers in VForest you go through extra grass).

How about calculations on how much exp you need before certain trainers (Nugget bridge rival comes to mind and Brock) where you have a 95% chance of winning, thus maximising speed and lowering the likelyness of blacking out. Of course the luck percentile could be changed according to how much time we need to shave off/ how many people we have trying/ the patience of people playing/ how often we want to risk losing.

On the map we could mark out the quickest line through kanto, tile by tile if this already hasnt been done, skipping the unneeded trainers as necessary.

I would be interested in doing the above experiments :)

Also, myrrh, how far have you got through planning and that because I know you have been working on this for a while.

I have spare cartridges as well for whenever we need them but no camera on the GBA (I would be able to play on an emulator to record but I wuld want it on the cartridge too)

EDIT: On the website linked above ^^ the guy who does Crystal doesn't evolve Totodile until Level 20 as it gets Bite in time for whatever he needs it for (I havn't watched it, only read it) Would we consider doing this... examples: Bulba learns Razor Leaf at 20, Ivy 22; Charmeleon learns Flamethrower at 42, Charizard at 46 but no Wing Att.

Is switching to Snorlax/ Legend bird halfway through going to be a quicker option?

And finally, good luck!! (I will watching/helping with interest)

Last edited:

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
What I think I could do to help is make paths of some of the routes to skip whatever trainers you think need skipping. I could mark all the trainers that stand still, which are impossible to avoid and those which look at you no matter which direction you take.

Back