• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Male or Female?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
When starting your game, which character did you choose—male one or the female? What did you nickname him or her? If you plan to restart your game at some point in future, would you go with the same character or switch?

Years
  • Seen Feb 9, 2020
I always buy both games, and do one of each gender.

Otherwise I'd just use whichever character design looks best. It's usually the female design though aside from in Ruby/Sapphire.

Male for serious and first playthrough. Female for LOLs and 2nd play through

Not sure I understand the LOLs there.. 0.o;

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Didn't you already make this---wait, this is the X/Y section, nvm.

As per the usual, I went with the female when I started my Y. Went with the name Stella (which is a name I often use for female characters). As for the nickname....you may or may not know if you remember that one thread about the nicknames. Anyway, I suck at naming things, so when the game asked for a nickname, I just slapped -chan on the end of it and called it a day.

At least Stella-chan doesn't sound bad.

Not sure what I'd do if I started over...not like that's gonna happen anytime soon.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
I tend to get both games so my first playthrough I play as male, second play through on the second game is female

Phangy

Master
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014
I'm always a girl, they tend not to feature really good female characters in the anime so it's nice to see a competent girl as the main character.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I choose the girl like 90% of the time, and usually on the first runs of games/generations. Named her Tomato Soup because picking proper girl names (and boy names for that matter) makes me uncomfortable. Nickname was Soup because that seemed appropriate. I did a Nuzlocke run with the guy, so if I started again, I'd probably pick the girl after experiencing both.

Shadeh

KABOOM!
Years
I'm always a girl. This generation in particular, because they have much better clothing options than the boys. :P
Not True. We got the all mighty and powerful Pancham Hat while you peeps get a dress or something

Shhmew

Years
Not True. We got the all mighty and powerful Pancham Hat while you peeps get a dress or something
I'd still say the females have much better options. I haven't used the male, but I've looked up their clothing options and it just does not seem as diverse and fun as the females'. I never play as the male anyway, and I will probably always choose to play as my own gender (female) in X & Y since I'm not missing much in opting out of ever being the male.

The Pancham hat is cool, but doesn't make up for it, in my opinion. Was still rather disappointed I couldn't get it. :(

Years
First time I played through X (my main game) I was the male, but in most other playthroughs I was female since I really like her clothing options. Except in one of them, but I like playing dress-up with her. And even without it I like her design quite a bit.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
As usual, I chose the male character in the first game I bought (which was Y) and named him DAN, after myself, since this game I never restart. I always use capitals, I guess it's a hangup from Gen I, when all names were in capitals :P

Then when I got X, I chose the female character. I tend to do this in every generation, mostly because I'd feel I was missing out on part of the game if I didn't try both genders. I actually preferred using the female character this time, mostly because she has far superior clothing options. There's so much variety, and it's really fun putting an outfit together. The male clothing selection is so dull and limited in comparison (especially the hats... I hate all of them, and yes, that includes the Pancham hat). I've played through X twice now, both times as a girl; the first time I named her Tannia, the second time Alice.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
What did you nickname him?

About time a thread asking that question appears here. :P

Anyway, I always choose the male player in official games, and choose a female on hack games.
I named my character on X as Jagold, and nicknamed him as DJG. :P
Really fits my identity here. xD

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
Years
  • Age 44
  • D.C.
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
I was myself for Pokemon X (albeit a much younger self) and for Pokemon Y I chose female. I was really upset to find out that coloration options for hair do not include anything other than blonde, brown, or black; Reason being, I named my character Casey (after the anime character in Johto). At least there were a lot of yellow clothing options to choose from.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I always choose the girl because of the better fashion/hair options. The male character is really lacking. :( My X character's name is Toph and my Y's is CC. :3

RiverStyxx

- Vaporeon Rules The Styxx! -
Years
I am a male in real life, but in-game I play a female character named Styxx! However, I wasn't thinking correctly because if I were to restart I would name her Miss Styxx! I only raise Female pokemon and ALWAYS nickname them starting with Miss :) always have and always will ;)

Back