• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Showcase Your Work! - The Creative Media Showcase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
The Creative Media Showcase
View the previous thread here.
[alink id="rules"]Rules[/alink id] | [alink id="review"]Comments & Reviews[/alink id] | [alink id="collab"]Collaborations[/alink id] | [alink id="featured"]Featured Work[/alink id]​

Welcome to the Creative Media Showcase, the thread for showing off all your creative talents. Whether you're a budding Bruno Mars, an aspiring Adele or a wannabe Westlife, come here to post your recordings and receive some feedback in the process. Whatever your style, if you love singing or playing an instrument and want some comments on your work then here's the place for you. Prefer the cinematic side of things? Feel free to post your film and animation work here too.[a id]rules[/a id] The types of post to make here include:
  • Covers of songs
  • Songs you've written & recorded
  • Collaborations (work between one or more PC member - credit all members!)
  • Riffs/tunes needing critique
  • Electronic/synythesised compositions
  • Any home videos/animations
  • Reviews/comments of other people's work
  • Requests for collaborations - simply post the style & instruments you require
  • Tutorial/lesson videos for playing songs/instruments
And always ensure to follow the General Entertainment rules.

[a id]review[/a id]
Comments & Reviews
Possibly the most important part of this thread is reviewing other people's work and providing comments of what they've done well and of how to improve. When posting your own work, try taking the time to review the person's above you too - whilst this is not mandatory, it is courteous. To give a helpful review, simply include what you liked about the work and what you think could be improved - it doesn't have to be long but every comment is appreciated.

[a id]collab[/a id]
Collaborations
This is a new feature of the Media Showcase. We encourage members to work together on their projects and possibly even start recording some pieces together, so if you're interested in working with other members to make music then this is the place for you. Simply post stating which instrument(s)/position(s) you play, the style of music you wish to produce and what kind of members you are seeking to produce it with and hopefully there'll be someone matching your style to join with. When replying to collaboration requests, reply via VM or PM, not in this thread as to avoid clutter, but be sure to post any work you produce here for everyone to hear!

[a id]featured[/a id]
Featured Work
Every so often when a particularly popular piece of work is submitted, it'll be added to this 'Featured Work' list for everyone to see. If you want to see a piece of work here then make sure to post a comment or two about it and it may well be added.

Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
Great cover, Jake :o It's...extremely difficult to give criticisms, not only because you did a wonderful job, but because I know real life vs. recording- especially when you lack more equipment than your voice and internal mic- are very different. And I don't know a thing about good production materials, so I can't really offer you any advice there. :( I would suggest you open your mouth a little wider when you sing (whoa dejavu just happened for some reason), but how could I when I have the same problem? :p You may just prefer that style of singing anyway, and I wouldn't want to discourage you from being unique. That high note near the end was a little rocky, but you brought it down with a really nice vibrato which evened it out. :D

I would really like to collaborate with somebody- my priority at the moment is finding a producer, though a songwriter or fellow coverer would be cool too. Here's my soundcloud. I don't have very many recordings up and they're all pretty shoddy, but should give you some idea of my sound and style. Let me know if you're interested or have any advice to give a production nub like myself.

Looking forward to seeing more work here! (Thank you AlexOzzyCake and/or whoever's idea this was to make this thread! I'm really excited! also, let me know if I didn't post properly.)

Last edited:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Great cover, Jake :o It's...extremely difficult to give criticisms, not only because you did a wonderful job, but because I know real life vs. recording- especially when you lack more equipment than your voice and internal mic- are very different. And I don't know a thing about good production materials, so I can't really offer you any advice there. :( I would suggest you open your mouth a little wider when you sing (whoa dejavu just happened for some reason), but how could I when I have the same problem? :p You may just prefer that style of singing anyway, and I wouldn't want to discourage you from being unique. That high note near the end was a little rocky, but you brought it down with a really nice vibrato which evened it out. :D

That's what happens when my webcam sucks, I have no vocal training/technique, and I only do one take and don't care what it sounds like! But thanks for the positive comments and the critique, I appreciate it!

Just to comment on your latest recording, I have to mention that your vibrato is fantastic. Like seriously, I'm loving it. That and the piano playing is great, as is your singing. Honestly I have nothing to really compare it to (because I have no idea what the original is =x), but great job!

guitargodd97

Video Game Creator
Years
RSE by Ear

I'm doing a little project where I kind of mess with sounds of Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald. Particularly I'm playing around with how certain sounds harmonize together and making creative rhythmic beats. For now, I'm building off of someone else's tabs, but as I get more accustomed to dealing with the music, I plan to build it all from scratch.

Opening Title

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I'm doing a little project where I kind of mess with sounds of Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald. Particularly I'm playing around with how certain sounds harmonize together and making creative rhythmic beats. For now, I'm building off of someone else's tabs, but as I get more accustomed to dealing with the music, I plan to build it all from scratch.

Opening Title

Honestly, I'm not sure the music really flows too well... It seems really sporadic and a lot of the notes don't really seem like they fit the music. That's not to say the piece isn't good though, there are some parts that flow really well and sound much better than the original (eg when it first goes into the POKÉMON screen), but some bits aren't so good (eg when May's riding her bike) and they somewhat spoil the music for me :( The idea you're working with is great and I'd love to see more pieces like this, but perhaps making your own original tunes could be worth a try so you're not having to fit in with a pre-determined style? Just an idea :) Although in saying that, I can't wait to see the building it all from scratch version!

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
Shame this thread isn't more active.

guitargod- I enjoyed the experimental beats. I loved how the movement of the pokemon (especially at 0:24) flowed with the sounds so well. I do think you ought to pay close attention to the drums to help make more smooth transitions. Listen to folks like Madlib and prefuse 73 for some examples on how to sample well.

So I only make recordings when I'm home alone, and jumped at the chance to record a cover of Skinny Love by Bon Iver when the house was clear. A few notes before listening: Listen at a low volume, please, my piano is ungodly loud which frustrates the hell out of me, and my voice gets insanely loud at a couple of points. At about 3:45 things get quieter and it's easier to hear my voice. Of course, that's pretty much the end. Click to Listen. Here are the lyrics to help with clarity:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 12, 2023
Before I show off my stuff...

GuitarGod-Honestly not sure what to say. It's an interesting experiment though with the sound you're making. I'd figure just a bit more practice, smoother transitions, and more experimentation, and you'll get better. It takes time, but keep it going!

Outfox-Definitely first thing I noticed, you have a beautiful voice, definitely a whole lot of potential if you got some formal training! I don't know the song, but I enjoyed it and your piano, even though there was a lot of clipping in the recording. Perhaps put your recordings through an audio editor of some sort and normalize it in some parts.

So on to my stuff. I've basically got a whole youtube channel dedicated to pokemon music, either enhanced mixes, or a remix of some other game theme with a soundfont (MIDI instrument set) I made myself.

My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/Roman8707

Some of the mixes:
Pokemon HG/SS Champion Battle (Enhanced)
Spoiler:

Pokemon B/W Team Plasma Battle (Enhanced)
Spoiler:

Pokemon Johto Gym Leader Battle (Enhanced)
Spoiler:

Pokemon Black/White Celestial Tower (Enhanced)
Spoiler:

Pokemon Lavender Town (Spooky Enhanced)
Spoiler:

RBY Route 3/4/22 Theme using Black/White soundfont (Arrangement)
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
So I only make recordings when I'm home alone, and jumped at the chance to record a cover of Skinny Love by Bon Iver when the house was clear. A few notes before listening: Listen at a low volume, please, my piano is ungodly loud which frustrates the hell out of me, and my voice gets insanely loud at a couple of points. At about 3:45 things get quieter and it's easier to hear my voice. Of course, that's pretty much the end. Click to Listen. Here are the lyrics to help with clarity:
You... I can't... Wow. Your voice is honestly beautiful. I won't lie, I loaded the link expecting to hear some average karaoke recording or something, but then... just wow. I was honestly stunned. Your voice is utterly amazing, I want to hear so much more from you. Literally the only criticism I can think of is the recording quality. The song you chose suits your voice perfectly, you sung it incredibly well and your piano skills are nothing to be laughed at either. My only suggestion is please get better recording equipment so we can hear you more clearly! I even had to link this to my friends to show them lmao. I'll be contacting you soon about potential work we could do together if that's okay with you! :D

Added to the featured list btw!

Some of the mixes:
Pokemon HG/SS Champion Battle (Enhanced)
Spoiler:

Pokemon B/W Team Plasma Battle (Enhanced)
Spoiler:

Pokemon Johto Gym Leader Battle (Enhanced)
Spoiler:

Pokemon Black/White Celestial Tower (Enhanced)
Spoiler:

Pokemon Lavender Town (Spooky Enhanced)
Spoiler:

RBY Route 3/4/22 Theme using Black/White soundfont (Arrangement)
Spoiler:
Honestly I have the same comment for every single one of the videos you posted (other than the Lavender one because I'm too afraid to listen to that :D); they sound soo much better than the originals. You've brought them up to the quality of being individual songs and that's an impressive feat for something like the background music of a route in Pokémon paha. What I would like to see though is something original from you - the way you've created these pieces has made them sound spectacular so I'm really interested to see what you can do when creating an original piece. If that's not your style or doesn't appeal to you then so be it, but I think it'd definitely be worth trying if you haven't already. Also I'm curious, what did you use to make these? I didn't recognise some of the effects :3

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 12, 2023
Honestly I have the same comment for every single one of the videos you posted (other than the Lavender one because I'm too afraid to listen to that :D); they sound soo much better than the originals. You've brought them up to the quality of being individual songs and that's an impressive feat for something like the background music of a route in Pokémon paha. What I would like to see though is something original from you - the way you've created these pieces has made them sound spectacular so I'm really interested to see what you can do when creating an original piece. If that's not your style or doesn't appeal to you then so be it, but I think it'd definitely be worth trying if you haven't already. Also I'm curious, what did you use to make these? I didn't recognise some of the effects :3

Thanks! I'm glad you like them :).

Here's an original song done by me a while ago. I didn't mix it very well since, at the time, I just started messing with more high-end audio editors, and I didn't have any real EQ plugins to help.

Spoiler:

I haven't got the motivation or inspiration yet to finish any other originals. I would like to, though! I would also like more tools... especially a better guitar plugin lol.

BTW, the program I use for laying out the MIDI tracks is an oldie called Cakewalk Pro 8... then I import the MIDI into Sony Acid Music Studio (for my more realistic sounding songs). I then use a VST program called native instruments komplete 7 and sometimes EWQL (but I lost EWQL recently since my hard drive crash, blahh :( ) for the individual instruments. For the final mixing and mastering, I use Izotope 4. For the route 3/4/22 theme, I used the same instruments you hear in the Pokemon Black and White games, (a MIDI soundfont), which I just edit it through cakewalk while having the soundfont loaded up through a program called BASSMIDI Driver.

That's pretty much my whole set XD.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Thanks! I'm glad you like them :).

Here's an original song done by me a while ago. I didn't mix it very well since, at the time, I just started messing with more high-end audio editors, and I didn't have any real EQ plugins to help.

Spoiler:

I haven't got the motivation or inspiration yet to finish any other originals. I would like to, though! I would also like more tools... especially a better guitar plugin lol.
Seee, this is proof that you should be doing original stuff! I won't lie, it is a little repetitive, but that's honestly the only big criticism I have for the song and that's impressive considering it's your first original piece (?). The 'guitar' you've used is great and the song flows wonderfully, I really enjoyed listening to this! I'd love to hear more - if you ever plan to upload any others let me know :)

It's mistake ridden, but after an hour and a half of recording in 36 attempts later I don't give a crap Ozzy you best be grateful
Sush you it's wonderful! I'm just wondering if gets painful closing your eyes that tight... ;p Your voice is great (as always) and the bits where you think you've messed up are adorable, and the guitar playing sounds completely accurate! The only tiny bit that you might want to think about is the higher notes like "It's too cold outside", your voice wobbles a bit hehe x] Out of interest, what chords are you playing here? The version I learnt seems completely different but still sounds recognisable so I'd love to know if you have them!

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Sush you it's wonderful! I'm just wondering if gets painful closing your eyes that tight... ;p Your voice is great (as always) and the bits where you think you've messed up are adorable, and the guitar playing sounds completely accurate! The only tiny bit that you might want to think about is the higher notes like "It's too cold outside", your voice wobbles a bit hehe x] Out of interest, what chords are you playing here? The version I learnt seems completely different but still sounds recognisable so I'd love to know if you have them!

It's the same chords, just a full step down (no capo) because my voice isn't nice when I try to sing it in the right key (I can do it, but it falters after the second chorus). And voice wobblings I attribute to one: falsetto sucks for me and two: so many attempts, my voice can only hold out for so long =P But thanks for the positivity!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
It's the same chords, just a full step down (no capo) because my voice isn't nice when I try to sing it in the right key (I can do it, but it falters after the second chorus). And voice wobblings I attribute to one: falsetto sucks for me and two: so many attempts, my voice can only hold out for so long =P But thanks for the positivity!
I assumed you'd done something like that so tried it myself but couldn't get it to sound like your's haha. Mine still sounds right (I think?) but your's is much nicer. I'll upload a .mp3 of it soon to compare! (No voice though, I suck at that bit x])

Fenne-kun

//TheEternalSushi
Years
Pokemon X and Y Themes [Main Post]

Hello! I've been messing with FL Studio lately, and I created a couple of custom themes upon thinking about Pokemon X and Y. There's about four to share right now, but I'm constantly working on newer ones (the first soundtrack was made only half a month ago). I'd love it if someone can give me comments/concrit (constructive criticism) or even better - work together!

--
1. Pokemon X and Y Collab - Evil Team Leader

I was so exited to make a collab with the famous composer ElectricMudkip, and here's the outcome! Enjoy the fast-paced battle theme for the Evil team Leader!

2. Pokemon X and Y - Route 1

Something simple, relaxing, catchy...perfect for Route 1! (that, and I'm just LAZEE).

3. Pokemon Phoenix Rising 'Remaster' - Romanti

This wasn't actually composed by me but another guy called EpicRPGRemixes. We've been sharing our stuff and I wanted to give his piece a quality overhaul, so here it is!

4. Pokemon X and Y Fanmade - Lumiose City [Night]

Lumiose, the capital of the Kalos Region. I picture Paris, at night, with the full moon dangling under the stars. The Eiffel tower's glimmering gold, and I sit there at a roadside cafe, watching as the wonders unfold before my eyes...

WAIT. DON'T CLOSE THIS TAB YET. 1:40. BRIDGE SECTION. AH.

5. X and Y - Village of Spring/Pokemon Ambient - Tricott Town

This theme is my interpretation of a spring city in X and Y, as well as the 'official' theme for a fan-made Pokemon project - Pokemon Ambient (you can find it in the game development forums here). I'm still venturing into unfamiliar territory, so hopefully this one isn't going to be that bad :P Enjoy!

6. X and Y - Wild Pokemon Encounter

My latest and only battle-styled theme! Learning my stuff from another battle theme, I understood the elements of making a theme like that and completed this in about eight hours. Enjoy! If you have difficulties hearing the middle part of the theme's melody, try using Headphones or Earpods. They somehow work much better and you can hear them easily.

7. X and Y - Route 3

When I tried coming up with a good style for this specific route, I started off by listening to the themes of BW2 and eventually stopped at a city theme (you probably know what it is). I then decided to mess around with its percussion and piano pattern and, later on, everything else, hence the name 'Theme Revamp' instead of a 'Remix' - Remixes keep the original melody, while 'Revamps' do not (at least, not in my opinion :P) It starts out similar, but starting from the middle section, it's quite different when compared to the original.

Since this is my most complicated piece of work yet, I hope you all would enjoy it!

8. City of Tranquility

Designed to be the counterpart of the theme below, City of Tranquility has a bit of hope and windy feel to it from time to time.

9. City of Souls

Preferably a ghost town theme since it's pretty melancholy if you ask me. This is what my friend pictures when listening -
Spoiler:

10. Seaside Town

The name says it all, really. A joyful one in 3/4 beat (same used in waltz, so it does have that dancey feel to it).

11. Hometown Theme

My first soundtrack, so I wasn't that experienced back then. The volume's soft, so I'm sorry about that ;_; After a short while, I've changed it a little to make it a 'fast' version. Both of them are down there -

Hopy you guys enjoy it! I will keep updating so stay tuned! Subscribe!

Last edited:

Adin Terim

Absolutely Insane
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2021
I think my favorite out of the three songs you have up here has to be Seaside Town, I just love the way it flows. Looking forward to listening to more of your stuff.

Fenne-kun

//TheEternalSushi
Years
Thank you! ^^ The newest theme is known by a friend to be an 'enhanced, perfect version of the seaside theme with a different melody'. XD Making the other half so stay tuned!

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
Alrighty, Fenne-Kun (Or whatever your real name is >3>;), I've already given you my general feedback on FB, lol, but now I shall say something again! Since now I'm kind of comparing the themes.

Out of them all, I think City of Tranquility is probably my favorite (and you haven't even posted it here yet, lol), followed by City of Souls. I'm not the greatest critic at the moment, so I'll leave it at that, lol. Love them all, of course! xD

@Jake - Pretty good! But I must say, with a few parts of it, your voice sounds a bit . . . nasally. Other than that, it's good. You're certainly a better singer than I, lol. (Plus, I'm a Bass and I . . . can't really sing anything, to put it bluntly, lol. xD)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Pokemon X and Y Themes [Main Post]

Spoiler:
These are really good, I'm impressed! I'm assuming you made them all yourself from scratch which is very impressive considering they sound like they could easily be used in-game. The word that came to mind when I listened to them was "professional", I'm not sure there's much better thing to say about someone's work haha. My favourite by far was the City of Souls Track, I absolutely loved the feeling it gave and I'd love to hear it in-game whilst walking around. Only slight criticism I have is that the mostly sound quite... 'expected', if you get what I mean? They're not a huge break from any of the music featured in BW/BW2 and honestly it was quite predictable where the tunes were going to end up whilst listening to them. Although based on the fact that they're supposed to be backing music whilst you're doing 101 other things in-game, I'm not sure that's such a bad thing. I'd love to hear more if you get round to making any!

Also I'll add City of Tranquillity to the featured section based on the amount of positive comments it seems to be receiving!

Fenne-kun

//TheEternalSushi
Years
Thank you so much! :D I DO think that you're right about the 'expected' part - melodies of some soundtracks I know are often similar because it sounds GOOD with that chord progression, and I'm trying to evade that. It's easier if it's a BATTLE theme (which is what I'm going to do now...well maybe), but unfortunately to create something comfortable, it's hard to wriggle away from the 'classic feel', if you know what I mean. It's harder and harder to find 'twists' in music now ;_; Anyway, I'm going keep trying!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back