• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Rename Japanese Entertainment to Japanese Culture

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Or Japanese Culture & Media, if you like?

A few reasons:
The description says "all things Japan", and there exist threads like this occasionally; such a rename would undiscourage them if they do indeed belong there.
Consistency: Other Entertainment was renamed similarly. Maybe variation is what you're after though, I don't presume to know.

Whatever you do, thanks for reading. That's all.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Could swear we talked about this once. Hm. I'm game for it. It includes all aspects of Japan, and like you said, it is for all discussions about Japan. Sounds good to me. :)

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
Years
I agree. See no reason why this shouldn't be changed. Just makes it broader.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
"Welcome to the land of the Rising Sun! This area is for discussion on all things Japan, non-Pokémon anime and manga, Japanese music, movies and more."

That bolded part leads me to believe you can talk about anything in the forum. Rather than go for consistency and limit the possible discussions that are posted, why not name it Japanese Discussions instead?

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Except "Culture & Media" isn't the best name you could dig out of the barrel
Probably not... I think Patchisou Yutohru just did better with Japanese Discussions.

consistency in the naming would look stupid.
Is this your subjection or the majority opinion of the higher staff (assuming you alone aren't responsible for forum naming)?

unnecessary
Why then was the change to Other Entertainment felt necessary?

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
"Welcome to the land of the Rising Sun! This area is for discussion on all things Japan, non-Pokémon anime and manga, Japanese music, movies and more."

That bolded part leads me to believe you can talk about anything in the forum. Rather than go for consistency and limit the possible discussions that are posted, why not name it Japanese Discussions instead?
I think this is the best solution. It implies more discussion than Japanese Culture & Media and Japanese Entertainment.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
Is this your subjection or the majority opinion of the higher staff (assuming you alone aren't responsible for forum naming)?
Anything a staff member says in threads like this should be viewed as their impressions, unless stated otherwise.

Though, I personally agree with him in the consistency statement.
I'd rather forum names be unique than to be modeled after similar ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
'Japanese Discussions' kinda made me laugh, I'm not gonna lie.. xD; can't quite pin-point the reason why, but.. I'd sooner leave the name as-is then vote Yes to changing it to that (Sorry, Nick!). Though, with 'Entertainment' in the title, it makes it seem like the discussions in there are meant to cover only media, not the culture or the language. If that's allowed, then the title and the description do seem to clash.

I dunno.. I like the idea of re-naming Japanese Culture & Media, but it also works to just leave it be IMO.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Japanese Discussions just makes it sound like it's a non-English forum. :( I prefer it the way it is.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Would just Land of the Rising Sun not fit with the general consensus that the forum is about all things Japan? Or does it have to have Japan in the title to avoid potential confusion?

Years
How about either Japanese Cultural Discussions or Japanese Culture & Entertainment?

Just my two cents. Though both titles are kinda a mouthful, and might not properly convey what the area is about. :x

That's if it gets decided it really does need to be changed.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
Would just Land of the Rising Sun not fit with the general consensus that the forum is about all things Japan? Or does it have to have Japan in the title to avoid potential confusion?
I prefer this to anything. I was thinking of that, but then I second guessed myself, because then that would really... be the only creative name on the forum.

Years
Personally, I'd like for the forum to be more inclusive of all things Japan (and even outside of Japan if possible since, for instance, it would seem weird to talk about Korean movies in OE when they're more related to Japan than other places... but I digress). Land of the Rising Sun seems... I dunno... cheesy. Not that I have a better idea, but I don't mind the current name if the content isn't going to change.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
How about either Japanese Cultural Discussions or Japanese Culture & Entertainment?

Just my two cents. Though both titles are kinda a mouthful, and might not properly convey what the area is about. :x

That's if it gets decided it really does need to be changed.

I don't mind the current name...Japanese Cultural Discussions would work well too, IMO. So would Land of The Rising Sun.

Personally, I'd like for the forum to be more inclusive of all things Japan (and even outside of Japan if possible since, for instance, it would seem weird to talk about Korean movies in OE when they're more related to Japan than other places... but I digress). Land of the Rising Sun seems... I dunno... cheesy. Not that I have a better idea, but I don't mind the current name if the content isn't going to change.

You have a point; I've seen Korean entertainment occasionally discussed in conversations pertaining to Japanese entertainment a few times. Maybe Oriental Cultural Discussion would work to be more inclusive...? >_>

Years
Looks like I'm not the only one.

I agree with Patchisou Yotohru's comment above, some individuality and creativity amongst the individual forums should be encouraged. As for the name, Japanese entertainment does work, but seeing as the forum is about all things japan, the name should reflect that. There's more involved that just simply "entertainment" I like Japanese Culture, Japanese Cultural Discussions, or Japanese Discussions, but let's grab a thesaurus and look some other possibilities up before we judge.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
You have a point; I've seen Korean entertainment occasionally discussed in conversations pertaining to Japanese entertainment a few times. Maybe Oriental Cultural Discussion would work to be more inclusive...? >_>
Oriental is an offensive term due to negative connotations of the past. I'd prefer not to have that anywhere on the forums.

That being said, after rethinking it, I'd prefer to keep it as is.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
Huh, I must be out of the loop because I've never seen oriental in a negative light, before. I like that idea though, being inclusive to not only Japan but other East Asian cultures like China and Korea. :D

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I think Land of the Rising Sun is a creative name that doesn't say too little about what's to be discussed there. There is a forum description as well, after all.

Years
it's been bothering me and it was the closest quote

I think Land of the Rising Sun is a creative name that doesn't say too little about what's to be discussed there. There is a forum description as well, after all.

The only problem I could see with that is Bulbagarden uses it for their equivalent of Japanese Entertainment.

I know, they're not PC and vice versa, and it's a common phrase. But idk if using the same name for the same forum on another website entirely would fly over so well, especially since we're both well-known Pokemon forums. At the very least, it strikes me as highly unoriginal.

Don't really have much else to say about a possible name change. Out of everything suggested here, I prefer Japanese Cultural Discussions.

Years
My vote is for Japanese Discussion - it's general and encompasses everything Japanese. Personally I don't visit the forum often but I imagine there's not much non-media/entertainment stuff in the forum which would make the name change obsolete, however it's probably a good idea to change the name just in case somebody gets confused as to where to post.

Back