• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Pokémon game should I get?

Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2012
Hello, I am sort of new to Pokémon (I have played Leaf Green, Yellow, and Crystal) and I was wondering which Gameboy Pokémon game should I get? I really liked Leaf Green because it was fun to train the pokémon, but after I got to the point to where I needed to defeat the Elite Four I got kind of bored and I stopped playing. I am going to definitely finish that battle, but after that I really want to have another game to play. I'm not to keen on the DS games, but I hear that Black and White is really good. I am open to any recommendations.

Thank you!

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
stick with the GBAz, or HG/SS. i have yet to play b/w, bu ti dont here good things about them.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Playing the games Chronologically is really good too :P
Red, Blue, Yellow > Gold, Silver, Crystal (HG/SS *If you prefer* > Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald > Diamond, Pearl, Platinum > Black, White, Black 2, White 2.

I would say go for HG/SS, D/P/P and BW, BW2.
Those are really good games.
Or if you like Nostalgia, go with RBY, GSC (FR/LG)

Pinta77

I would pass on the 1st and 2nd gens unless you know how to fix the battery. Red/Blue/Yellow/Green weren't too good (ya, i said it). And Gold/Silver/Crystal were really good, but again, the battery.. Otherwise you'll lose your save data which would annoy me to no end.

Other then that, I'd suggest either emerald or black2/white2, or maybe even HG/SS. Those are the ones I think are best.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald will be a good Gameboy game for you to play. Since you played Gen 1 and 2 already, It would only be right to start with Gen 3 :D

As for Black & White; Yeah, it does get a LOT of hate, and I don't know why.

The pixels in the battle screen? The originality? (LOL REALLY?) The Storyline?

/startrant (skip if you want)

I assume it's because of the originality, which I find hilariously stupid.

Seriously guys. You think BW is unoriginal? How about you take one good look at Voltorb... or Zubat.

Really.. a Pokeball upside down? A strangely-colored bat? That's original, but the exotic Pokemon on BW ISN'T?

...and don't even tell me about Beartic or Vanilluxe. Ursaring took the spotlight before Beartic.. and idk about Vanilluxe.

/endrant

...but ANYWAY, Black and White is a fantastic game. If you're keen on Pokemon games though, you should probably start with Emerald or Platinum beforehand. Just so you can experience it all :)

Years
Get Black and White, they were my faves!

It has awesome graphics, epic story and lots of awesome battle strategies. Plus it's a build-up to Black 2 and White 2.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I know you said you're not keen on DS games, but Black and White 2 are probably your best choices. They have a great variety in Pokemon you can catch as all 649 are possible in one way or another, you can wifi trade and battle with friends, they're appealing in visual and auditory aspects, and they're the most current. I understand that you'd rather play an older game, but when you skip out on so many games and want to start playing again, it really is best to start with the latest.

If you just really don't like the thought of playing a DS game though, I recommend Emerald. However, it's really difficult to get a hand on a legit cartridge. GBA carts, especially Pokemon, are often faked and hacked, which is also another reason I recommended B2W2 first since you can get those fresh in the box and not have to trust some seller on eBay.

Last edited:

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
Why not start from Pokemon Yellow? I personally think starting from the start of the Pokemon series would be a great idea, to know where it came from and what not. Fixing the battery is incredibly easy and all you have to do is just look it up on YouTube and it takes about 5 minutes to fix it once you get all the stuff (which is just a battery and electric tape.)

You don't necessarily have to go through every single game, but you could if you wanted to. I'm doing that currently. But I do have to say Pokemon Black/White or Pokemon Black/White 2 are DEFIANTLY the best Pokemon games to date, in my opinion. You said you got bored after defeating the elite 4 which is 100% normal, most games don't have much after the elite 4. If that's the main problem I'd say either get Pokemon Silver/Gold or Crystal, you basically take on 2 regions and its an amazing game, or Pokemon Black/White 2.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
Years
Platinum is an awesome game to play. You have a lot of options for what to use. I also recommend black and white.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I recommend Platinum, HGSS, B/W & B/W2. Those are the games which are written high in my books. Although they are DS games, they are possibly one of the best games for Pokemon there are. If you really aren't keen on the DS games, why not start from the very beginning? Try Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal for starters. Oh, and as for the battery cartridge problem, get an emulator for GBA, download free ROMs found quite easily online and start playing! It's fast, easy and free. :)

Years
If you've already played the major 1st and 2nd gen games, and aren't too excited about the DS games (which is too bad, since they're all pretty good), I would probably suggest trying Emerald. It nicely combines the storylines from Ruby and Sapphire, plus you can participate at the Battle Frontier- which I think was one of the greatest additions to the main franchise games as a whole.

If you do have a DS, I think it would be a wise decision to some of the games there are to offer. If you enjoyed Crystal, HG/SS are very good remakes, with lots of extras and upgrades along the way. Platinum and the 5th gen games also show great improvements over their predecessors, and are strongly worth a playthrough.

Back