• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Sprite Discussion [from RBYG to XY]

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2013
The Ponyta one rocks, I like it very much. Are there any guidelines on designing a sprite?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I just found this while searching for my avatar, it doesn't even look like Primeape. I feel for anyone who bought Green.

Spr_1g_057.png
Omgawd that Primeape is just adorable.

Regarding shiny sprites, I totally agree with you, Hikari. Some shinies are really boringly designed, color wise. I really do wonder how they are thinking when they decide how to color them. Some have their usual colors but switched around, others just have one color changed and another brightened or darkened. And others are completely different from their originals.

Years
Omgawd that Primeape is just adorable.

Regarding shiny sprites, I totally agree with you, Hikari. Some shinies are really boringly designed, color wise. I really do wonder how they are thinking when they decide how to color them. Some have their usual colors but switched around, others just have one color changed and another brightened or darkened. And others are completely different from their originals.

Speaking of switched colors, take a look at Lileep for example:

Spr_5b_345.png
Spr_5b_345_s.png

The purple one is the regular colors, while the green one is the shiny. And also for some reason, they slightly darkened the color of the tentacles on its normal-colored 5th Gen sprite, while the tentacles were the same color as those on the shiny in 3rd and 4th Gen. If one notices, Lileep's shiny color is identical to the normal colors of its own evolution, Cradily.

In fact, Cradily also switches colors between normal and shiny forms, with the normal one being green and the shiny being purple.

And also, if one looks at Electrike's shiny sprite you'll notice how similar the colors are to the normal colors on Manectric:

Spr_5b_309_s.png
310.png

The blue and the yellow look very similar.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
There are some Pokemon that despite getting a lighter/darker shade of the color they already are, they still look good, like Zigzagoon!

263.png
263.png

Of course, that's a much brighter shade than most get, but I think you get the point I was trying to make! Garchomp is probably the most boring shiny. :( Can't even tell it's shiny.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

445-f.png

Garchomp is probably the worst example of shiny Pokemon with colors too similar to the normal colors, but what other Pokemon do you think have not much differences between their normal and shiny sprites? Feel free to discuss!
lol. for others..um... Burmy!
burmy-plant.png
burmy-plant.png

Normal - Shiny

Same goes for Wormadam. Thankfully, Mothim looks... electrifying.

But how about the ugliest shinies? I vote for Krookodile
krookodile.png
krookodile.png

That's gotta be the only pokemon I'd hope for that wouldn't be shiny on my first meet.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2013
The mew sprite in green scared my skeleton off the first time I saw it.
Same for Mr.Mime.

Years
On a slightly related topic to my earlier Primeape post, I was just looking at Mankey's bulbapedia page.

Green
Spr_1g_056.png
Red
Spr_1b_056.png

Yellow
Spr_1y_056.png

How can you get it so horribly wrong twice and then perfect it while still being on the same generation of games? So confused.

Anyway, I agree with Garchomp for worst shiny. As for ugliest...

Krookodile is really bad. I'd have to go with Bronzong, though it's disadvantaged since it looked ugly in the first place.

Spr_5b_437_s.png

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Yeah, haha. There are a lot of pokémon who had really ugly designs in R/B (not even better than in Green version) but got a lot better in Yellow. It's because Yellow designs were more based on the anime's designs, I think. Or at lest on Sugimori's drawings.

263.png

Even though this isn't much different from it's regular sprite, I really like it :3 Doesn't beat shiny Furret's pink tho.

Years
Man, Mew's Green sprite looks horrible.
151.png

What is this?

151.gif

This is so much better.

Mew sure looked creepy back then I have to say.

I do have to admit there's something weird about the 1st Gen Pikachu sprites, I almost thought it was Raichu at first!

Spr_1b_025.png

At least the art got better over the years and make Pikachu "lose weight":

Spr_5b_025_m.png

Velvex the Øverlørd

The Apparition
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 10, 2013
I do have to admit there's something weird about the 1st Gen Pikachu sprites, I almost thought it was Raichu at first!

Spr_1b_025.png

At least the art got better over the years and make Pikachu "lose weight":

Spr_5b_025_m.png

Awh, what? You don't like the old Pikachu design? Chubby-Pikachu was awesome, a much more fitting look in my opinion. I'd love it if they brought back Chubbychu. That being said the 1st Gen sprites, specifically Green, were complete crap in general.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2013
Spr_1g_023.png

They got the eyes wrong.
I remember it having eyes like this;
Spr_4h_023.png

Generation I sprites don't make any sense

Gladius

the prophet
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
looks a lot like a Bellsprout. Generation I sprites still have that nostalgic good feel though.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
On my HG game yesterday. I caught the red gyarados and then the next magikarp i met was a shiny. It was my first wild caught shiny in a long time

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I would just like to say that Relicanth has the damn sexiest shiny sprite out there.

369.png

The normal sprite for Relicanth is decent and the colours do suit him (especially with his concept), but the shiny sprite is beyond gorgeous. It's easily my favourite sprite out of all sprites so far (perhaps bordering close to Pachirisu...), I'm just hoping that won't change when it's in 3D for X&Y.

Sirfetch’d

Shiny Relicanth is really breathtaking and is definitely one of the best shiny sprites out there. I just love any sprite that has that shade of blue and Relicanth is no exception.

I've always been quite fond of Gigalith's shiny sprite as well:
gigalith.png

His original sprite is just OK, but the shiny version makes him into a beautiful Pokemon. The coloration is near perfect and the blue suits him really well. This is definitely my favorite shiny sprite from B&W and possibly of all time!

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Golbat from Pokémon R/B/Y has gotta be one of the worst-looking sprites that they've ever made. Its eyes looks as if they're about to be vanished into thin air, and its face expression makes me think that it's in horrible pain. D:

I absolutely adore the shiny Umbreon sprite, by the way! The blue stripes look much better on it than the yellow stripes. Plus, it doesn't have the scary-looking red eyes anymore.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
I agree with above. Golbat's R/B/Y sprite is just... eugh. I'll definately say that it's sprites have improved over a few generations. However, there hasn't been much change in the recent generations. If only they gave it Crobat's colour scheme :3;

Also, a shiny Charizard is just gorgeous! It even looks more like a dragon. I have to say, they did a good job. If they gave it any other colour sheme, ...meh. I would prefer this one, haha; xD

Back