• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Pixel Art Discussion Thread

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Yeah, thanks, I'll try that. Fur is easy, but I think it's the in-body pattern that matters. Most non-Normal types have exterior features but Normals are the ones which have stripes, patterns etc. Also, it's good to emulate the animal base more, right?

kinataki

david tennant so much!
Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014
yeah i guess so. water type pokemons and normal type pokemons are mostly based on real life animals.

blackmoonflower

You won't like me if I'm angry
Years
I has a sad. I didn't think my entry for WPC #25 looked like a Neopets pony. :(

*eyes Chesu*

Mimicking Gen V's shading techniques is hard to do and make it not look flat. Oh well. I tried.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Well, I'm sure you wouldn't be subliminally affected by anything and draw it like a pony unintentionally...

*eyes moonflower's signature*

...Right? :cheeky:

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
Kinataki, there's a notice at the top of the section saying why there isn't one this week: "WPC #27 will not be started until Sunday March 10th 2013 due to time constraints. Thank you." Don't worry; I love them too ahaha. xD

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
In WPC #27, I'm kinda disappointed that there aren't more entries incorporating shamrocks into their designs. I know that the main thing is recoloring, and that the shamrocks are more of a small detail to keep things interesting, but it's disappointing that most of the sprites have just the little 5x5 shamrock Logiedan used as an example.

Years
I agree with that, I was surprised most entries was just using my example and not coming up with their own ways to include the shamrocks which was disappointing. Some were not badly hidden to be honest, like I really loved the shamrock spores/pollen from the Jumpluff recolour and I thought that was really clever.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I agree with that, I was surprised most entries was just using my example and not coming up with their own ways to include the shamrocks which was disappointing. Some were not badly hidden to be honest, like I really loved the shamrock spores/pollen from the Jumpluff recolour and I thought that was really clever.

Half way through I realized that, which is why I made one of mine have a custom three-leaf-shamrock, although I never thought of making them big.

(Could you direct me to the poll? I'm for some reason not finding it...) Seemed that I was looking for it in Pixel Projects... xD

kinataki

david tennant so much!
Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014

i thought that we must use the shamrocks in the example for our sprites... now i am looking at the sprites and seeing the shamrock designs of other people... why am i so stupid :/

Years
WPC #27 said:
Also, you must hide or put a three-leaved or four-leaved shamrock in each sprite in some way, maybe make it hold a three-leaved shamrock or have it hidden in it's shading.

I thought I made it clear with giving some examples like hiding the leaves with holding it, shading. Maybe mentioning custom patterns could've helped. ):

Years
I feel at the current state, the forum has a lot of Sticky Threads. Does anyone have any ideas on which threads should unstick/merge, etc to reduce the amount? So far I think I should unstick the WPC poll and challenge threads should be unstuck.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I think that both the WPCs can be unstuck due to the fact that they will last not more than a week and there's not much activity/galleries, so they always will be in the top few anyway.
Also, I think that the WPC guidelines and the Medal Ledger can be merged with the Pixel Art rules as a next section of it, that won't be much of a bother, and the forum would look neater.

Years
Just curious... I used to sprite a lot, but they weren't great, so I stopped that and returned to physical drawing and subsequent concept art for my sprites. I'm trying to sprite my Draguard fakemon, and I've gotten in the colors, lineart, etc, but somethings just don't look right and I think it's because of my dithering. What type of "surface" should I dither the lighting on more/less? I thought I'd ask here where the more experienced at this are ^^

Years
Just curious... I used to sprite a lot, but they weren't great, so I stopped that and returned to physical drawing and subsequent concept art for my sprites. I'm trying to sprite my Draguard fakemon, and I've gotten in the colors, lineart, etc, but somethings just don't look right and I think it's because of my dithering. What type of "surface" should I dither the lighting on more/less? I thought I'd ask here where the more experienced at this are ^^

I suggest posting an image in the pixel art show case thread of what you have done so far, this will allow for any of us on here to help you more proficiently.

On another note, I would like to suggest a devamp/retro fakemon sprite, as well as any sort of Trainer Sprite theme for upcoming Weekly Pixel Contests. I don't think we have covered trainers yet? I just think that would be especially fun to see what everyone comes up with.

Also, I'd like to commend Logiedan for the nice diversity of themes he has implemented thus far.
No, I am not sucking up to you in order for you to consider my suggestions for upcoming themes :p

Back