• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Showdown to NavBar

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I have no idea about how official the Showdown server is, but if it is an official server for the forum and everyone's comfortable to do it then I'd love to see this happen! I've got the server set to open every time I load Chrome so it's no issue for me, but it'd be great for introducing some fresh meat into the group. ;D

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Some folks have told me that they didn't know PC had a Showdown server, so this would definitely help. It depends on whether the higher staff would agree to do this though.

I have no idea about how official the Showdown server is, but if it is an official server for the forum and everyone's comfortable to do it then I'd love to see this happen!
Well, PPN hosts it and it's called the "PC Battle Server," so I would think it's official enough.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I love this idea. It's also the most active off-site PC thing (including all IRCs etc) so why not give it more love? Plus with generation six coming up and people wanting to test teams and stuff, having a quick link there could become more useful to people. :)

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
Years
It's a great idea. PC could really benefit from having a link next to the NavBar.
Although, it would be amaizing if PC's battle server could have an Application, so that users can access it with only one click, I know that Showdown has an fire fox downloadable application, but, it only has one server and it's the Smogon main server. It would be great if PC's server had an application like that, so that when you log on to your computer/laptop, it's just right there on your desktop. Just a thought though.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
nice idea i really want more new members to take part in the server tho they may be new and stuff

most of us still need to direct them there but with that, it'll make things easier

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I love being a buzzkill!

I don't want this. I think the majority of people don't really care about competitive battling so it's kinda clutter to add it to the navbar when a lot of the users will never actually look at it. I feel like the only people that'd be interested are the ones who regularly visit the Battle Centre and... surely they'd know about the server anyway? And I'm assuming the only thing that can be done on the server other than battle is chat, which is what we've got the IRC for. Just seems like it's making everyone have an addition which is only actually useful for a relatively small audience.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
And that's different to Oekaki because...? No one's ever complained about that being there :p If space is an issue then we should probably replace the Oekaki link for it. That place had 9 new uploads over the whole of 2012 (unless I'm using it wrong!) - more people than that use the server every day, and honestly battling is likely to be more appealing to the larger majority of a Pokémon forum than an art application. The way I see it it's just a word or two extra to add to the navbar to make the server easier to get to for those who are interested in battling - I can't see one word becoming much of an inconvenience for those who aren't interested to skip over every day like they do already.

Also at the "Only Battle Center people are interested" part, the large chunk of the people who use the server regularly have never posted in CBC in their lives other than entering tournaments so I'd say that's not entirely true!

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Oh I agree that having the Oekaki there is a waste of space haha. I never said it wasn't - but that's not really what we're discussing right now. I just don't see why something for a really specific audience should be put there for the whole community. I know it's just one extra word and all that but it's still clutter and really I feel like we see enough people talking about it, putting it in their sigs, posting logs from it, posting blogs about it, etc. for it to be visible enough now.

However,
AlexOzzyCake said:
Also at the "Only Battle Center people are interested" part, the large chunk of the people who use the server regularly have never posted in CBC in their lives other than entering tournaments so I'd say that's not entirely true!
correct your spelling of centre and I'll admit that I was wrong here. ;]

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
"What's Showdown?" was what I asked when I saw this.

Okay. At least for me, I'll have it in the navbar in future styles I develop. Unless admins have a problem with it, though I don't see why they really would.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Oh I agree that having the Oekaki there is a waste of space haha. I never said it wasn't - but that's not really what we're discussing right now.
I've always wondered myself; perhaps that should be a discussion soon!

I just don't see why something for a really specific audience should be put there for the whole community. I know it's just one extra word and all that but it's still clutter
I do agree with you, but honestly I don't think the server is for as specific an audience as you seem to be thinking. I'm probably a bit biased though - I spend far too much time there meaning most of the people I talk to are there so it'd feel a lot more wide-spread to me; I think I'll leave this point for someone else to cover haha.

really I feel like we see enough people talking about it, putting it in their sigs, posting logs from it, posting blogs about it, etc. for it to be visible enough now.
Is this not an indication that a lot of the forum is using the server and therefore would be using the link, though?

Edit: Ninja'd by Patchisou but yeah. x]

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I would really like for this to happen. This would be a good way to rouse the attention and curiosity of new members who have not yet heard about Showdown. It's more or less official, so why not make[/i ] it official? xD It'll also be much easier to access the server; it'll be just a click away. Let's promote Showdown the best we can!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I do agree with you, but honestly I don't think the server is for as specific an audience as you seem to be thinking. I'm probably a bit biased though - I spend far too much time there meaning most of the people I talk to are there so it'd feel a lot more wide-spread to me; I think I'll leave this point for someone else to cover haha.

I just wanna add that 118 PC users have talked/visited there (we only count if they talk upon visiting, although around 40 are regulars and on at least voice) ever since Wolf and I started keeping track of the user list properly which was December 13. I think that indicates that there's definitely a lot more interest in that than you think, than, well, the user base has ever been in my year and a half of being a regular of the battling community, and probably maybe even ever. :x Half the users don't even post in BC actively, either, so it isn't just them. They come from all walks of the forum, really.

Back