• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things you thought about Poke'mon, that now you realize were wrong

AKPorcupine

Yes, Follow the Light...
Years
I always thought

"Maganium" was "Mag(N)anium." That's just how I misread it, and what I've called it, ever since.

When I was younger (Playing Blue) I thought healing your party in a Poke' Center would level them up faster. So I would just heal my Poke's over and over. Healing=Good Stuff Good Stuff=Level up Right...? Nope, waste of time.

I know there's more, but I can't think of anything.

Haha, I figured others had experiences like this. Share!

Last edited:

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I mispronounce quite a few Pokemon, for example Shiftry I pronounced the last syllable "try" instead of "tree" and in the case of Gliscor I did a short i instead of a long one (and vice versa for Scizor, I thought it rhymed with Scyther). Until I saw some anime episodes I realize how wrong I was with my pronunciation.

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2017
Does this apply to human characters in the poke'mon games, too? If so, I thought Fantina was a transwoman, possibly post-op.

If it's just poke'mon themselves, I mispronounce a lot of them as well. I also used to think that you couldn't stop them from evolving.

AKPorcupine

Yes, Follow the Light...
Years
Does this apply to human characters in the poke'mon games, too? If so, I thought Fantina was a transwoman, possibly post-op.

If it's just poke'mon themselves, I mispronounce a lot of them as well. I also used to think that you couldn't stop them from evolving.

Yea, just anything, really. Mispronunciations are just common.

I'm just asking anything you thought was one way, but now you know correctly.

A couple more:

I say Suicune "Sis-queen" NO IDEA why. It is not at ALL spelled that way, but that's how I say it. I think "Swee-coon" sounds weird.

And I still have no idea how to say Ho-oh.

Fitzsy

authentic cool guy
Years
First time I read Arceus's name my interpretation was "AR-soos". So I'm dumb is what I'm saying

AKPorcupine

Yes, Follow the Light...
Years
First time I read Arceus's name my interpretation was "AR-soos". So I'm dumb is what I'm saying

Haha, I probably would have pronounced it Ar-see-us.

I honestly don't know any Poke'mon after Crystal. I played Emerald, but the only thing I remember is the Secret Hideouts. The last handheld I owned before the 3DS was an SP.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I refuse to pronounce Rayquaza as the anime does. It just sounds so so wrong.

Umm other than the everlasting pronunciation issue... I didn't have anything to do with the games until Emerald, so I thought the Orange Islands were an in-game place for a few years. And I thought Unown were powerful because of movie 3. And I always thought Pupitar was part bug for some reason and it still trips me up. I just learned it wrong I guess.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 13, 2022
I can remember I mis-pronounced Glalie. I always used to say it like 'Glallie', like it is a British word xD.
Arceus was also a problem to me. I pronounced it like 'Ar-zoos'.

And I still get confused with the Bug-type match up. I know the weaknesses, but the resistances are so confusing. Bug NFE against Rock? I can't really tell, but I think it isn't. Ialways used to think Bug was NFE against Bug, guess.I was wrong all the time...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I think I mispronounce a lot of pokémon still, haha. But I'm not a native English speaker so I'm forgiven ;D

I always thought it was "Vespiqueen" but realized rather short time ago that it was "Vespiquen". With one e. I have no idea how to pronounce that O.o help?

AKPorcupine

Yes, Follow the Light...
Years
I refuse to pronounce Rayquaza as the anime does. It just sounds so so wrong.

Umm other than the everlasting pronunciation issue... I didn't have anything to do with the games until Emerald, so I thought the Orange Islands were an in-game place for a few years. And I thought Unown were powerful because of movie 3. And I always thought Pupitar was part bug for some reason and it still trips me up. I just learned it wrong I guess.

Haha, I thought the same about Pupitar. Larvitar and Pupitar both suggest Bug-types, and Pupitar does look like another cocoon Poke'mon, such as Metapod and Kakuna. I don't even understand how they got Tyranitar from Larvitar and Pupitar.

Oh! Before I got any games, and could look them up in a Pokedex, I believed Gengar and Alakazam were actually huge, like in that one episode where the ancient ones get revived, or whatever. I was so irritated (still am) that they are actually very tiny.

I still think of them as giant Poke'mon.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
When I was six, I used to pronounce Charizard as "Charged-zard," and made it sound like some sort of an electric-type Pokémon. Don't blame me; my reading skills were extremely poor at that time. ): Months later, though, I was finally corrected thanks to the anime. Other than that, I also used to call Blastoise "Blast-ee-ose" and Vileplume "Valley-plum."

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
Years
It's quite hard to pronounce certain Pokémon, but after looking it all up on the internet, I will never go through embarrassment with my mates. It's right if you mess up, just do what I've done! Also, I still don't know what gender Trevor is.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
Call it a habit, koffi~

But I thought healing at the Pokemon Center cost money, so I would typically avoid them like the plague. Thanks Final Fantasy, koff~

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
I mispronounced Pokemon more than a few times. One of them was Kyogre which I would always pronounce as "kyo-gre" instead of "ka-yo-ger". I also pronounced Rayquaza with a short a (the second one) and Giratina's g as a g instead of a j.

I used to think fighting type attacks were super effective against psychic types, on Pokemon Emerald. I mislead my friend when he was stuck on the psychic gym in emerald

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Only one that comes to mind is I always pronounced Unova "you-no-va", but I think I heard it differently in the anime.

Years
To this day I still pronounce it "Phanphy," even though I know it only has one H in its name. Other than that, I've always been pretty good with pronunciations.

And for some reason, I've always assumed Fire type moves were super effective against Poison types, even to this day. I don't know where I came up with this one or why I still think this from time to time, but I'm guessing it has something to do with Koffing and Weezing way back in the day.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 21, 2013
I think I mispronounce a lot of pokémon still, haha. But I'm not a native English speaker so I'm forgiven ;D

I always thought it was "Vespiqueen" but realized rather short time ago that it was "Vespiquen". With one e. I have no idea how to pronounce that O.o help?

i called it Vespiqueen to ^^ i atually still do and use the same name when im talking about the Vespoid Queen from the Monster Hunter game. Two favorite games merged lol

itzBolt

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 29, 2013
When I was younger I thought the only way to get pikachu was in Yellow ..

- itzBolt

AKPorcupine

Yes, Follow the Light...
Years
To this day I still pronounce it "Phanphy," even though I know it only has one H in its name. Other than that, I've always been pretty good with pronunciations.

And for some reason, I've always assumed Fire type moves were super effective against Poison types, even to this day. I don't know where I came up with this one or why I still think this from time to time, but I'm guessing it has something to do with Koffing and Weezing way back in the day.

I also thought Fire was SE against Poison. I still have the subconscious feeling that it is. Poison ususally implies a Grass Poke'mon, is why.

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
Years
I used to say doduo as 2 syllables, like "doo-doo" or "doe-doo". now I know it is three; "doe-doo-oh".
Funny story: When I played mystery dungeon: blue rescue team, I named my Pokémon my name and nicknamed my partner. I was a bit confused when none of the other Pokémon gave themselves nicknames. That was until Gengar came along. I was just getting into Pokémon and I didn't recognize him, so I called him "ginger". I didn't realize his name wasn't ginger until ear the end of the game.

Back