• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
From Reddit with love: A quick look into the upgrades coming for the PS4 and PC. Glamore System details included.

GE: Having just played the PS4 version of the game, we noticed that the graphics quality looked much better than the previous PS3 version– the number of NPCs and players that could be displayed at one time was much higher, the field of view was much better – with the graphics being much better with this iteration of the game, we were wondering about the DirectX 11 version of the game? Perhaps if you can give us a time frame or maybe an idea of what we can expect from the DirectX 11 version of the game?

Yoshida: With respect to the Windows DirectX version of the game, of course we have made some preparations for a DirectX version. We've been developing the PlayStation 4 version which runs on 64 bit hardware and because of that work, the Windows 64 bit version is done. However, this coming summer we plan to release the game in China and after that we have plans for an expansion pack so when we finish those, we will be looking to complete the DirectX milestone. With that in mind, after we successfully launch A Realm Reborn in China and begin work on the expansion pack – I believe that around that time that we may be able to speak more about the DirectX 11 client for Windows. But don't worry! We are definitely making progress on that project. (laughs)

As far as what to expect from the DirectX 11 client, it is my policy that we don't do anything to change the gameplay experience from one platform to another. While DirectX 11 will provide a graphical advantage for some players on newer hardware, there really are no changes in gameplay for someone with older hardware vs newer hardware. However, in terms of graphics there may be a large jump in graphics quality – the whole engine and the rendering pipeline is completely different. The way shaders work, the way polygons are rendered, water effects, mirroring affects, or objects getting wet – they all work a bit differently on the new version for DirectX and will be updated for the DirectX 11 client. So for players who are more discerning of graphic quality – they will most likely notice. But it will not change the gameplay at all, and I'd like to make it so that it is simply another option you can select.

GE: Speaking of an expansion pack, do you think you can tell us when we will hear more on that? If not, perhaps you can tell us how much content we can expect?

Yoshida: Of course, we do have a target date but I can't talk about it at this time. We'd like to get through Summer and Fall first, but I am sure there will be an opportunity to talk more about the expansion pack then. It terms of how much content you can expect, we're going into it with the expectation that the expansion pack will have as much content as when we launched FFXIV with A Realm Reborn, and so it is definitely large scale. The Dev team is pretty exhausted and going without sleep making all the content. Everyone is like, "Are we really going to make all this content?"

GE: Recently, there has been noise from players about parsers, mods and third-party applications being used with Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn and about people getting warned, suspended or even banned by GMs for using such applications. There was also mention of a plug-in API for the game. We were wondering what the policy was, your stance on it, and how you were approaching these issues. Some players are a bit worried and don't want to get banned.

Yoshida: This is a very difficult question to answer. We are first and foremost a software company, and as a software company we cannot really approve of anyone modifying our product in any way. We wold prefer it if everyone played within the original design of the software, otherwise we can't really guarantee the quality of the product itself. Officially, the policy is that any additions or modification to the game are against the rules and privacy policy and when playing our game, everyone has to have gone through the steps to agree to the Terms and Conditions when you sign up.

However, I too am a hardcore PC gamer so I understand that there are a lot of plug-ins and add-ons available to many games. So as a PC gamer, all I can really say is "Please, don't get caught." If you are going to use add-ons and plug-ins please be discrete about it. Don't go around telling your friends you mod the game on chat, or ask a GM if using such an add-on is ok. We can't really go around and check if add-ons and plug-ins will work with our game and debug it, and check that it doesn't break anything – its too much. Really what it comes down to is I can't really say "Yes" to these things, and players have to realize that by using an application that accesses game files that they are the ones that are assuming the risk of viruses and possibly compromising their account.

And as you probably know, Final Fantasy XI had a particularly strict policy on this kind of thing, so there are quite a few players out there who moved from XI to XIV who definitely view any kind of add-on to the game as bad. So please, just be discrete if you will be using tools or add-ons.

GE: One feature that many players are looking forward to is the "Vanity" system, or Glamour System as it is known in the US. Can you describe how the system will work? Will crafters be needed? Are there any fees associated with it?

Yoshida: In terms of fees for players, players should not be paying a high fee to use the Glamour System. As to how it works, there is a new item called the Glamour Prism which is a crystal that can be used to change your appearance by mirroring the look of your item. These crystals will come in different types to accommodate different gear level ranges, so if you want to assume the appearance of an item that is iLvl 30, you would need the Glamour Prism that corresponded to items of iLvl 30 to iLvl 40. While that is not the exact range, there will be several ranges of iLVLs that each Glamour Prism will work on, similar to how Grade 1 Carbonized Matter, and Grade 2 Carbonized Matter work.
Crafters factor into this as they are the only ones who can make these crystals, and they will bring the Glamour Prisms to market. Players will go to the marketplace, buy the crystal they need and mirror the appearance of their desired gear onto their character. So if you're a crafter, you can make your own Glamour Prisms. The recipes for the crystals aren't designed to be expensive, so I imagine it won't be a limiting factor. Once you copy the appearance of gear that you like onto the crystal, that crystal is now bound and cannot be traded or sold, so the only commodity in the Glamour system are the Glamour Prisms that are blank made by crafters. So as a crafter, you will want to bring to market the Glamour Prisms that correspond to the coolest looking gear.
It should be easy to access for everyone and shouldn't cost too much, so please look forward to the new feature.

Shoot me a PM of VM if you play~

I'm trying to recruit for my FC who is ever close to getting to Rank 5! Soon I will have power to do 24 hour Guild buffs and after that housing!

I'm on Cactaur so if you have a toon on there shoot me a message~ If you don't but still interested (either through making a new toon or transferring) shoot me a message >=D

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I'm waiting for the PS4 version

Speaking of I found the advertisement video for the PS4 =D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIHBhy56cjw[/ame]​

That said, I dunno if its worth waiting for unless you are getting the Collector's edition. You get a free transfer to the PS4 when it comes out this April...Since I don't want to lose the ability to play my PS3 version I'm not beta testing unless they have an awesome bonus for doing so...so far they don't.

If you don't have a PS3 then oh ok, ya. Definitely worth waiting for. No way I could handle going that long without playing though.

If you join Cactaur hit me up. I'll help you through some of the basic levels. I'm thinking of recording or at least streaming some FF14 videos when they come onto the PS4 for some friends that are curious about it but don't want to get it without seeing gameplay.

XD

If I can upload and stream I may open a stream for here~

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
2.16 Patch notes have been posted for general view...It is WAY TOO LARGE for me to do a copy past and I'd need to carry over the images to have a lot of it make sense so instead I'll leave the link:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/1e50acf08461e355e3e5d4736391ba3f787720f1

I think the overall content of this patch is cute. A lot of it was stuff that's been demanded and the Limit Break bar separation for Summoner and Scholar is going to help SO many teams.

I love the new mastery items, I don't think they are the best accessories, but they seem as if they'll be useful. The new recruitment functions is going to be a great help to me and my Free Company!

So many things...no time to comment on all of them TTwTT

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Not a status update, though the next Live Letter for 2.2 is coming March 21st.

Who is ready for Leviathan Fights?! All I can say is, My body is ready Leviathan! Super excited for the new Primal fight, though I still haven't done Titan Hard Mode or Good King Moogle Mog yet. Need to do both to progress with both my weapon and story.

Just finished the Lady's Day event. Its...really cute. I may strut around with my Edya Doll as my Minion of choice for a while XD

Who else plays?! I wanna talk wiff ewe!

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
Just about to hit level 30 on my maurader, still a long way to go, GF ended up stopping playing as she didn't enjoy it to much, feels weird to play without her.

Love the looks of the Leviathan weapons they had screenshot. If I ever get free time I will play more for sure. Wan't to get max Ilevel gear, Part of my completionist self I guess... and my power hungry self.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I'm just updating it now (like 12 GB, ouch) - does anyone play on a European server and can recommend? :<

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
Even though I live in the EU I unfortunately play on an NA server :(

Love the new update, lots of people out doing fates finally, Helps me level my alts without being bored :P

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I ended up on Gilgamesh (NA) for my first character after all that :L fates are interesting, but at the moment I've only been in two - one I had to run from, one I was the only person and got bored after killing 20 sheep...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
HAHAHA that Fate....Omg killer sheep XD

Fates are one of the ways to EXP grind in the open world since a lot of your EXP is gained through Dungeon and Quests. Once you complete the quests you have these daily allowances called Levemetes which have you do quest like battles for a specific prize (usually elemental crystals for crafting, sometime you get weapons or other crafting gear.) You can now get Ventures from Levemetes which are used on your retainers.

Dungeons will be your main way to level, especially once you can do the Duty Finder cause you get a bonus for first time Duty Finder and a Daily bonus as well if you are the Adventurer of the moment. (Healer/Tank/DPS)

What class did you start with? =D

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 3, 2015
what do you guys play on ps3 or pc? ive got ps3 version, gonna upgrade to ps4 when that versions released. have you guys played any other mmos before?

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I'm playing as an arcanist at the moment. Kind of regretting it as I don't seem to be very good at damage, healing or otherwise.

Just unlocked summon II though, which might help out I suppose. I haven't tried dungeons yet since I'm a loner and prefer solo play, mostly. XD.

@above - I play on PC!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 3, 2015
You should try the dungeons out! they're really fun! i mostly play for the dungeon content!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I'm playing as an arcanist at the moment. Kind of regretting it as I don't seem to be very good at damage, healing or otherwise.

Just unlocked summon II though, which might help out I suppose. I haven't tried dungeons yet since I'm a loner and prefer solo play, mostly. XD.

@above - I play on PC!

Arcanists start off very slowly and you have to get a feel for their play style. Once you have Topaz Carbuncle the Solo play becomes very easy, and once you start getting your traits higher and start investing your Bonus points you'll notice a quick influx in damage.

Summoners (Arcanist's DPS job) is one of the more requested DPS because we have the best single target DPS of all the magic/ranged DPS. Black Mage beats us with AoE Damage as most of our AoE attacks are pretty much Close ranged. You get a really neat Placement spell called Shadow Flare which does a little damage while the opponent is in it and it slows them down.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Oooh ^_^

I've progressed to the point of gaining airship access, and as such I've hoarded a tonne of new classes to switch between.

So far (I think):

Arcanist: lv 17
Conjurer: lv 5
Fisher: lv 8
Botanist: lv 4

I'm gonna lay off conjurer for now, and only use the gathering skills, but was pretty fun :3. I think I should also become an Alchemist whilst I'm travelling around.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I love dungeons, Just hit 37 on my Maurader and been totally loving it, I also have a black mage that I play when my GF is on, Duty roulette is also a great way to push lower people through so I often to that to help lowers, I remember how hard it was for me getting into parties back then.

I will more than likely at some point level all classes to 50.

I play on Lamia btw.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I love dungeons, Just hit 37 on my Maurader and been totally loving it, I also have a black mage that I play when my GF is on, Duty roulette is also a great way to push lower people through so I often to that to help lowers, I remember how hard it was for me getting into parties back then.

I will more than likely at some point level all classes to 50.

I play on Lamia btw.

I played my first dungeon today, the people who got grouped with me were quite nice :) overall positive experience.

Had to wait agesss to get in though, and considering it was part of the main quest I was a bit bored waiting. Would have been nice if there were some backup-NPCs you could party with or something.

Oh well, I'm on to my second dungeon quest now, that'll be when I next log in :).

I also seem obsessed with gathering/crafting.

Botany is now lv 8 and my Weaving is lv 11 :X. Think Alchemy is around 6 as well.

Meanwhile I gained on Arcanist level.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I haven't done a single part of the gathering or crafting.

If you play a DPS class the que times can be fairly long, luckily I'm a tank so I get in really fast. Only thing I can say to do is fates while you wait, You will do a lot of them when you get into a grand company anyway. Duty roulette is nice too.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I haven't done a single part of the gathering or crafting.

If you play a DPS class the que times can be fairly long, luckily I'm a tank so I get in really fast. Only thing I can say to do is fates while you wait, You will do a lot of them when you get into a grand company anyway. Duty roulette is nice too.

I'm such a hoarder :< ALL THE GATHER-COLLECTING.

I think I need to do a bit of Duty-Roulette, even though I'm still low levelled. My lv 20 Arcanist quest is proving too hard :/ I can manage the enemies, but always get suddenly swamped (and abandoned) by the NPCs and my summon ;-;.

Zet

Years
I'm just getting back into FF14. I stopped playing after the first or second month since there was no content at all, but now that there is I know I can have a good time.

I made a new character just to refresh myself(currently a level 16 Lancer), and I'm on the Hyperion server.

Back