• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Did you ever use strategy in your Pokemon Playthoughs?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I used to. I became a move spammer as I got older, which is funny, because it's normally the reverse. I used to use way too much strategy when I was a kid.

I still use things like Toxic, Attract, etc and all, but I like to just have moves that cover all my needs instead. You don't need a ton of strategy when playing the games really, unless you're doing something like a NFE only run or monotype.

blue

gucci
Years
I just tend to go through the game keeping my team evenly leveled, trying to keep on par with the upcoming Gym Leader so that it's a little more challenging.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Aside from typing matchups? Not really. I know what the opponent's bringing so I can easily counter it. When I was a kid I thought Defense Curl + Rollout was the pinnacle of strategy so I'd go out of my way to use it all the time, but eventually I realized that I was just making everything more difficult for myself.

Mp3beast

Master of Sound
Years
I recently started the "Smokescreen the crap outta them" strategy, but back when I first started playing if the attack didn't do damage I didn't need it. In fact, the first time I tried using Perish song, I killed my own lapras. :( But as of late I've been trying to improve my strategy. I feel that as the games have progressed they have required more strategy.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I make sure my Pokemon are even which doesn't help because I don't like grinding so the drawback for that is that I always end up underleveled once I started to get past the third or fourth gym. Other than that I'm not really strategic I just tend to go with the flow.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2014
Well, I remember when I played Crystal and I entered MT.Moon. I captured the first Clefairy I saw and used the first Moon Stone I obtanied on it. It was like level 10 With Sing, Attract, Doubleslap and a move I didn't remember. I saw how easy was defeating Pokémons after sleeping him with sing, but Clefairy was so weak and I replaced it for a Poliwhirl (Hipnosis, Ice Wind, Surf, Headbutt).
So my main strategy was Sleeping the oponent and then using strong attacks.
I think my strategy hasn't changed a lot...
Well, In double battles I often use the combo Belly Drum and Heal Pulse to maximize a Pokémons attack. If the oponent don't kill it fast, the Pokémon becomes a really 1-hit Killer.

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
Years
My "strategy" takes types and abilities into consideration. Except when I face something I've never seen before, or something with an ability that nullifies my usual tactics. Then I just try until something works.

Doesn't work when an opponent uses an unexpected move though (psychic or ghost types with fighting type moves, anyone?).

It also involves items and healing and switching when needed. But if I have Future Sight/Doom Desire and Wish, I will spam them in this order: Future Sight/Doom Desire, Wish, any move (and that's when the damage + auto-heal takes effect).

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I always keep a couple of strategic Pokémon on my team because you never know when you're going to need them. It may be easy to defeat one gym leader, but the next gym leader could be much, much harder, which would require you to have a good strategy to fall back on. d:

In Pokémon Black, I used to have a Breloom with Spore, Leech Seed, Substitute, and Focus Punch. Spore was there to put your opponent's Pokémon into sleep and give you enough time to set up Leech Seed and Substitute. When everything was ready, you were able to Focus Punch your way to victory. In Platinum, I used to have a Togekiss, which was there to take advantage of its Serene Grace ability and make your opponent constantly flinch with Air Slash.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I never really had much strategy except moves that cover each Pokemon's individual weaknesses. No helping moves like Attract and Toxic either, save for Quiver Dance on Volcarona. I just use straight out brute strength coupled with type matchups to take down each and every opponent's Pokemon. Works like a charm every time.

Back