• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Underated or meant to be

Magic Magikarp

Magikarp is terrifying
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 8, 2013
Well here's my first thread here, it involves my favorite game of the series, Ruby. A lot of nice water types had been added and already existed. Milotic came into view, you can get an Azumarill if you wanted to. My point is there were so many good water types you could add to your team. I was 5 when I first played Ruby and this is who I added to my team.
Spoiler:

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I'm definitely going to use Relicanth in one of my next runs of R/S/E. The only thing that lets him down is his Speed and since Water type moves are considered Special Attacks in R/S/E, it's Water type attacks won't do much at all with it's lousy Special Attack stat.
It can however make use of Earthquake, Ancient Power and Double Edge to name a few. I think it's a very interesting Pokemon but a little difficult to use.

Magic Magikarp

Magikarp is terrifying
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 8, 2013
since Water type moves are considered Special Attacks in R/S/E, it's Water type attacks won't do much at all with it's lousy Special Attack stat.
It can however make use of Earthquake, Ancient Power and Double Edge to name a few.
The thing is, when I was five I was clueless. I just saw a nice ancient fish and I was like I am totally gonna use that {XD} The good I guess is he gets STAB damage from Rock moves, EQ doesn't even need that. Yeah he was interesting, mine is level 100 now and currently in my Black 2 and ready to crack some skulls >.>

Falsever

Nation Blue
Years
I enjoyed using it!
Its Earthquake is strongly great.
I remember when it 1HKO'd Flannery's Pokémon in a rematch. xD

Years
Relicant is such a rare Pokemon that many kids that played the game probably don't even know about it unless they look it up somehow. It stats don't help it either. It's not entirely useless, however, as you need it to unlock the regi trio.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I have to agree that Relicanth is a perfectly serviceable Pokémon for leisure gameplay. But like Seattle said, the uses narrow down in the practical perspective. But I have to say you're not alone in that aspect. Many water types introduced in Hoenn are not top-notch, but if you play the game for fun I'd say there's nothing wrong in using it.

Sirfetch’d

I love Relicanth and think he is an extremely underrated Pokemon. He has a decent movepool, good ability, and great attack. I also love how he is connected to the Regis and is a bit of a relic Pokemon. This guy definitely deserves more love.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
The reason why people rarely use Relicanth is because of its weaknesses to four of the most common attacking types, which are grass, ground, electric, and fighting. It does have good Defense stat, but its Special Defense stat is extremely poor. If a single Energy Ball attack got landed on this Pokémon, it would be taken down in a blink of an eye. Its Speed stat is quite low as well, so it will be having a very hard time to outrun your opponent's Pokémon. One of the good things about Relicanth, though, is that since it has access to the Rock Head ability, it will be able to hit very powerful Head Smash attacks without taking a single recoil damage. =)

Last edited:
Years
I love Relicanth but he was available so late into the game. :'< By then I already had a water type/Surfer on my team so it was a little late to catch and train another. I did train one up postgame way back though, and really loved it. He's a great Pokemon!

Years
For some reason I have always liked this Pokémon.
I never really used it during RSE times though - I have a trianed one which I planned on using for a team of mine but changed my mind just recently.
Now surfing around here it makes me feel like taking it into a team again after all. Perhaps I will add him to a X/Y team. : )

Years
I love Relicanth - hands down one of my favorite water types (and rock types!). I think he looks really cool, and I loved having a pokemon inspired by a coelocanth. Also, even though it was just a bunch of pixels, the geology and prehistory nerd in me made it seem unbelievably cool to own a (digital representation of a) really incredibly old species without it being a revived fossil.

Very overlooked, and very cool.

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
I always liked Relicanth's design but I never used it as my permanent water type in R/S/E. I didn't have the patience to train one but I did use it as an HM slave a few times in Ruby and also to unlock the three Regi caves throughout Hoenn.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Relicanth is a bro. I haven't used it yet, even though I've been dying to do so for a long time. I really need to get around to it, cause he seems really interesting.

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2017
I haven't used Relicanth yet, mainly due to how rare it is and it's Rock/Water typing being rather weak to key type match ups. The design of it I like a lot, but I don't see myself using it.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
I love Relicanth
52b0f867.gif

They're so great design-wise, but stat-wise they're useless outside of the main game.
ed2305b7.png

Back