• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Former PokéPOTW] What would your first 3 choices be?

Which Starter Selection would you take for begginings?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2016
Hello, please do not lock this thread, because I would have a conversation with all of you about Starter Pokémon. If you had the choice of having the choice of the starter Pokémon currently known, which would you want the choice between? And for bonus points, of the three you chose, which is your favorite.

All 3 need to be the same generation, no juxtaposing. Be sure to leave your suggestions in replies or via voting.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Jōto, because they retain their single original types. Makes them the sort of 'basic' monster a starter can be expected to be, and gives them no additional and potentially unexpected weaknesses.

Sirfetch’d

Hoenn because to me, Emerald was the best game of all time and it started with the starter Pokemon that were available. All 3 are so amazing and near perfection. I would use these 3 starters before any others when it comes to choosing my teams. Torchic is my favorite starter of all time followed by Treecko and Mudkip!~

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Of those options, the Sinnoh starters. I'm the opposite to Cassino in that I love it when they have secondary typings. Extra weakness do end up coming with the territory, but they often have extra resistances and something different about their designs than mono-types. But having viewed the XY leaks, the Kalos starters are probably in line to become my favourites so far:
Spoiler:

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Unova for me, it's the only region where I loved all 3 starters equally, most others only 1 was good the others weren't. For me, they are the best looking ones. Unova also has the sea-otter starter that was reason enough for me, and also has Snivy & Tepig!!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I find the Sinnoh starters to be the cutest with the most interesting evolutions so I'd go with them - there's not one of them that I wouldn't want to use as a partner and training them all would be so much fun, especially with how different their final stages turn out from each other. My favourite starter of the three is Piplup but my favourite final evolution is Infernape so I'm not sure which I'd pick here haha. If I had them I'd probably keep Piplup unevolved as a partner (like Dawn's) and evolve the other two to be my main fighters, but if I had to choose a favourite line I'd say Chimchar's.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I would pick the Kanto starters—Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle. I love all three, because they seem to be quite cute to me. :) They're extremely well-designed. If I had to pick one though, then I would have to go with Squirtle. It's a small, soft, squishy, happy-go-lucky turtle. Is there anything that you shouldn't like about it? xD This Pokémon should be able to have your mood lit up as soon you it touches you, haha. Plus, when it finally evolves into a Blastoise, it gets two huge cannons stuck onto its back. It utilizes these cannons to blast a variety of attacks, such as Water Pulse, Hydro Cannon, Flash Cannon, and Hydro Pump. How awesome does that sound? When it comes to competitive battling, Blastoise isn't that bad of a Pokémon either. It's got great defensive stats, which allows you to use it as a wall pretty easily.

My second favorite of the Kanto starters would have to be Charmander. The flame on its tail indicates how much strength it has, which I find to be really interesting. If the flame is shining brightly, it means that the Pokémon has enough energy in its body and is ready to do almost anything. If the flame is a little dull though, then that means Charmander is feeling weak and needs to be healed.

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
Years
johto. it is my favorite region and chikorita,cyndaquil,and totodile are just too adorable to resist lmao
and if I had to pick one...chikorita. she is just adorable and I find her evo very interesting(though unfortuantly she has a terrible movepool. I wish they could change her typng to grass/fairy)

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
I would pick the three Johto starters. I like at least one of the three from the other regions, asides Kanto. Though I picked Johto because I like Totodile better than Bulbasaur. I like the other two from Johto better than the two from Kanto anyway.

Cyndaquil is so cute! <3

RivalGator

I hate them all.
Years
Johto starters. They all are perfectly equal and gorgeous and have awesome evolutions. The only region in which I liked all three starters.

Years
Hello, please do not lock this thread, because I would have a conversation with all of you about Starter Pokémon. If you had the choice of having the choice of the starter Pokémon currently known, which would you want the choice between? And for bonus points, of the three you chose, which is your favorite.

All 3 need to be the same generation, no juxtaposing. Be sure to leave your suggestions in replies or via voting.
It should be interesting hearing everyone's opinions on their favorite trio of starters leading up to the release of X/Y this weekend, so we're making your thread the poll of the week! Congrats!

As for myself, I like some of the individuals from other regions more, but as a whole, my favorite trio of starters are those from Hoenn. In my first and second playthrough of Sapphire, Treecko -> Sceptile and Mudkip -> Swampert were both the backbone of my teams, and it's no secret that Blaziken is one of the strongest final evolutions of all the starters. When you combine those three, it easily puts them a top my list over the other trios.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
I know it's not on the poll, but for me it would be Kalos. I love Fennekin and it's evolved forms, and while I don't like Chespin and Froakie as much, I like their final evolutions. There's never been a generation where I liked all of the final evolutions of starters before Kalos.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'm going with the Sinnoh starters. All three of them are good in battle in their own way. Plus, Piplup is adorable.

Back