• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Father beats up toddler over video game

o Pikachu o

Pikachu
Years
Kotaku Article :
Japan's Sanspo is reporting that a 39 year-old Yukihiko Sakata was arrested after repeatedly striking his 3 year-old daughter in the head and around the eyes with a plastic toy. "I was getting back for losing at a video game," the father said in a sworn statement. The child needs to be hospitalized for a month.

NewsonJapan Article :
Police on Thursday arrested a 39-year-old man for allegedly beating his 3-year-old daughter in a fit of anger after he lost while playing a video game on his TV at his home in Kasugai, Aichi Prefecture. According to police, the suspect, identified as Yukihiko Sakata, was at home with his daughter on the night of Aug 7. He told police he was absorbed in the video game and got so upset when he lost that he hit his daughter in the head with a plastic toy, Fuji TV reported. When Sakata's wife came home from work, she noticed bruising around the girl's left eye and took her to hospital. Hospital officials notified the police.
Police said the girl suffers from a congenital illness and that there were marks on her body indicating she may been abused before, Fuji reported.

What do you think of this? I honestly find it sickening that someone would beat a toddler over video game raging. I hope he stays in jail for a long time, he deserves it.
Links to articles :
http://bit.ly/NToHv0

http://bit.ly/MPMACk

Ice Car

Banned
Years
Jack Thompson is going to have a field day with this, if he even exists today.

Anyways, this is all just going to devolve into a "BLAME THE VIDEO GAMES!" argument just like all those other times where video games were in the slightest connected to a case of violence. People always rush to play video games as if playing games like Call of Duty is actually the same thing as getting actual experience with firearms, or that it affects people psychologically by causing normal people to become mentally unstable.

Don't blame video games, blame crazy people. The father beat up the child clearly because he was messed up in the head to begin with. If you honestly end up beating up a child over a video game because a child's crying (which I assume is the cause of his annoyance) distracted him by being, well, a child, you are mentally unstable and don't deserve to be a parent (that's putting it lightly.)

Any time video games have some connection to an act of violence or law-breaking actions, video games take the blame. What happened to blaming the movies, books, television shows, etc, or any other form of media? Why video games?

Sorry, for a bit ranty there, maybe a tad off topic.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
It's not the fact that the child was harmed by it's parent, but the fact that all the big publications are going to reword this article so the game is the culprit, not the dysfunctional parent, which really irritates me about this article.

Years
Wow, that's just very upsetting :( Hopefully the baby doesn't get any lifetime injuries.. As for the father, if he did something like that with little reasoning on the fault of the baby, it's quite obvious (at least to me) that he is mentally ill.

Ice Car

Banned
Years
It's not the fact that the child was harmed by it's parent, but the fact that all the big publications are going to reword this article so the game is the culprit, not the dysfunctional parent, which really irritates me about this article.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize that video games are going to be the first to take the blame in any situation.

Hell, they could be playing something like Banjo Kazooie and they'd still blame the video games.

"Banjo Kazooie is a game where you kill a metric tonne of helpless creatures. Conceptually it is extremely morbid, masked only by a cartoony appearance"

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

This is just wrong. For a father to lose control over something so small, means he nees serious, serious help.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I can only see two suggestions arising here - either "the video game made him violent" or "the father has mental issues". Why can't it be neither? I don't think I need to argue against the anti-video game side (although honestly, I suppose that since it was the game which made him angry, then the game is in part at fault - although it could have been anything at all which did that so it's not a strong argument at all), but I wanna get my word in for the other one. While it was massively irresponsible for the father to do what he did, hitting your child doesn't automatically give you mental issues. Very bad parenting? Yes. Needs some help with anger management? Absolutely. But mentally ill because you, in the end, got angry over losing a video game? Unlikely, in my eyes. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not defending the father for a second, but the idea of him being mentally ill with only this as evidence is a stretch too far.

On the article, it's odd that the police should mention that the girl has some sort of illness. I don't really see what relevance that bears to the story. And it's also of much greater concern to me that there are signs of previous abuse. That's the most important part of this article, yet it was very skipped over - no doubt to draw more attention to the video game, as previously suggested in this thread.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Really? Really? The video game was to blame? No, the father is to blame. He obviously can't handle losing a video game so bad that he had to beat up his 3-year-old daughter. That's just blatant immaturity, stupidity and a sign that he has anger and anger resolution issues that he needs to get fixed himself. And he needs to lay off the games for awhile.

//so hard to say things when people above have said all your thoughts ;_;

Years
This is why stupid people shouldn't be allowed to breed folks.

But seriously, throw this monster in jail for a long time and let him rot there for all I care.

Back