• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Family in shock after hate letter targets teen with autism

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Maybe I'm a super cynic, but I would think this is an every day occurrence.

Pretty much. The terrible spelling, bad grammar, and excessive use of exclamation points are everywhere.

Intolerant rude people are a common thing too though, yeah.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
You'd be suprised at the amount of hateful middle aged people out there.
I remember a suicide case where a 40 something year old woman pretended to be a teenage boy and chatted up a friend of her daughters who she didn't like because they weren't friends anymore. After she gained this girls trust she used it to spread horrible rumours and encouraged the girl to kill herself, which she did.

Wow that is wrong, was she sued or sent to jail since that is technically a crime, cyber bullying and endorsing death.
The world is already dead.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
I remember a suicide case where a 40 something year old woman pretended to be a teenage boy and chatted up a friend of her daughters who she didn't like because they weren't friends anymore. After she gained this girls trust she used it to spread horrible rumours and encouraged the girl to kill herself, which she did.

I believe you're talking about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Megan_Meier

@Chucleslucifer, for more on the court case, see this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lori_Drew

In the end she was acquitted.

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
Years
Being autistic myself, I find this to be beyond insulting. I watched a video where they interviewed the parents. The poor kid can't even talk - therefore he can't speak out against her. Life's already hard for him, and this stupid woman had to make it even harder.

I've been exposed to low-functioning autistic people before. I feel bad for them.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
Years
It's hateful people like this that make me sick to my stomach. Whoever did this should receive the maximum punishment.

Also... Where was this anyway? I was surprised that I didn't see this on my local news, and we have a lot of individuals special needs here in Massachusetts. (EDIT: And I'm one of them...)

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
I believe it was in Canada, someone mentioned Ontario earlier.

I mean the thing that really bothers me about this is that the kid probably wasn't doing anything that terrible and was also probably severely autistic. Most people with autism usually don't have it severely but I wouldn't be surprised if this kid does, and I've seen it before, and it's almost kinda like they can't communicate or understand other people at all. It DOESN'T mean they're animals and they're all capable of having very human emotions, just like anyone else. The parents know this best and it's even worse for them because they're trying everything they can to make him both happy and make sure that his inability to understand what he's doing wrong is subdued enough so that he doesn't hurt other people's lives. Again, it's not like they took this kid into a loud crowded movie theatre.

I think the biggest problem with this is that it's okay to some people to put down autistic people because there's so many idiots who play that card to get away with ****, and no, it's not just the internet. This problem is perhaps the biggest reason why I avoid the high-functioning autistic/aspie subculture since there's so many parents that think this **** is okay. Usually it's the really mild people, or the people who self diagnose, and they do it for attention or to get away with being an *******. But this kid isn't playing any cards, he truly suffers greatly from his disability. But obviously that's not good enough for some people.

Again, though, I guess blind people should drive, eh?

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
Black, white, yellow, brown;
straight, gay, bisexual, asexual, transgender;
thin, fat, tall, short;
male and female;
disabled or enabled,
we all have the same organs in our body;
we all share the same blood color...
Who gives the right to defy and to hate one another...?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Corvidae said:
I think the biggest problem with this is that it's okay to some people to put down autistic people because there's so many idiots who play that card to get away with ****, and no, it's not just the internet. This problem is perhaps the biggest reason why I avoid the high-functioning autistic/aspie subculture since there's so many parents that think this **** is okay. Usually it's the really mild people, or the people who self diagnose, and they do it for attention or to get away with being an *******. But this kid isn't playing any cards, he truly suffers greatly from his disability. But obviously that's not good enough for some people.

Thank you for posting this. The fact that high-functioning autism is mis-used so much is poisonous towards people who are actually mildly autistic. As someone who has slightly impared social skills and gets lost in my thoughts (very stereotypical of ASD, a syndrome I was diagonsed with for 10 years) , having social skill issues does not give you a good excuse for acting like a ****ing ****face.

It's your responsibility, and anyone with even a very mild case of autism should stay out of situations that you can't cope with.

As for the **** who wrote the letter, I think she is mis-informed on autism and just uses it as a loose scapegoat. The lack of empathy in the letter makes me think that she may also have autism as well.

If you are writing a hate letter and you sound like the person you hate because of your characteristics, you have failed.

Years
  • Age 24
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 21, 2017
This is disgusting. My friend's little brother is mildly autistic, and you can barely even tell. I guess the news somehow got out at his school, and he was severely bullied and had to switch schools.
My cousin is mentally retarded and he's not in complete control of his limbs, to put in lightly. I was walking him in a park, and he was in his wheelchair and accidentally knocked a little boy over. The mother got really mad, and I tried to calm her down. She was saying all kinds of hateful garbage and my cousin was hurt. He may not be able to communicate like other people, but that doesn't mean he can't understand what she said.
About the woman who wrote that letter, she is obviously one of those parents whose children have to be perfect...it's people like that in this world that disgust me.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
This mother could be insulting the future President for all she knows. Sure autistic people make noise. who the hell cares. I am not putting hate to her, because I (4-5 years ago) have been in her shoes (the angry mother's). I am ashamed for thinking that way, but a autistic kid in my class screamed so loud, I couldn't concentrate on my homework. I started thinking hell about him.
then a presenter came and showed us how they (autistic people) feel. They wanted us to write down ten words the presenters on the paper with blow horns baring and lights flashing, I wrote none. I then had respect for autistic adults.

But the woman is a b***h, doesn't she know that his life is hard enough? Keep thoughts to yourself like the other neighbours.

Microchip55

I'm a crumb.
Years
I hope whoever wrote that letter gets euthanized .-. I have nothing to say about this. It's so utterly horrible.

Years
I think it's funny that the author of the letter asks "what right" the mother has to have a child with a disability without making sure that she herself has the right to question that.
She now looks like a fool and has 95% of the internet asking for blood.
Bad move lady. Anon is powerful, anon is everywhere, anon is forever.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I really don't know what to say... This is extremely sad, both for the autistic kid and for that mother. It's sad that undeserved hate is being targeted at an autistic kid who can't do anything about his condition, and it's even sadder for the mother who just had to type out this letter. The letter was just plain outrageous, and there wasn't even a hint of her trying to be civil. Maybe she wasn't even trying. I don't know if this is for real or is just a sick joke, but this really just makes me sad.

Back