• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Consistent naming for Pokemon sections

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Fifth Generation Pokémon Series → Fifth Generation Games (DS)
Advance Generation Games (GBA) → Third Generation Games (GBA)
Metal and Color Generation Games (GB/GBC) → First & Second Generation Games (GB/GBC)

Fourth remains the same as it's the basis for the suggested format.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I wouldn't like it. My forums have had their names forever. If anything, Fourth and Fifth Gen should just be named their generation's nickname. It'd still be consistent. "# Generation Games" just sounds boring.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I agree as far as my section is concerned, although I'm not a fan of (DS) so I'd rather if that were removed for the new generations.

Alternatively I wouldn't mind if we were called Adventures in Unova again, either...

Years
I totally support this, since I sometimes get the sections confused.

If I had to do a naming scheme fitting with Syd's sections, I'd see Fourth Generation Games be named 3D Generation Games (4th Gen is known as the 3D Gen for being the first generation to have 3D graphics in a Pokemon game) while Fifth Generation should be Monochrome Generation Games, due to the naming scheme with Black and White being monochrome.

But Cassino's suggestion isn't all too bad either since it's simple.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I don't really understand why the fifth gen section didn't become the one you suggested.

I don't really think there IS a nickname for fourth gen though, or at least none I know. 3D generation isn't widespread enough that if someone asked me "what's the 3D generation?" I would have an answer to it. Actually I'd probably answer X/Y.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Well....I'd have to ask, why is it necessary? :( Is there any sort of confusion with them currently? I mean, my two cents is that there's nothing really wrong with how they're organized, and, I don't want to sound a like a parrot (but I'll do it anyway), it'll just sound...bland, I suppose. u__u

There shouldn't be when two of the three forums that were suggested to have a name change in this thread all have big, bold, colorful prefixes right there in the forum description. Kind of hard to miss. And they tell you what the games are. So...yeah. idk how anyone could be confused, if there is any confusion anyway.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I'm more concerned with this: why are the forums for the main-series Pokémon games separate?

Spoiler:

This makes the absolute most sense (and how it used to be, if I remember correctly). Move all of the main series games into a category in a logical order of most recent - least recent, and then move the forums that are from alternative Pokémon gaming to a category of their own. That way, the Pokémon main series discussion forums are all in a neat, easy to find area near each other. Why separate old generations from the most up-to-date generation?

General Pokémon Gaming Discussions -> Alternative Pokémon Gaming
Description: For players who extend their Pokémon gaming experience well past the general adventures the game provides.
ie: Players who trade, battle, competitive battle, and play the games with challenges in mind.

Years
Couldn't we have something that combines the two?

Advance Generation Games (3rd Gen: GBA)
Metal and Color Generation Games (1st and 2nd Gen: GB/GBC)

And so on. Or is that just confusing things more?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I like Patch's idea. Though not "Current Generation Pokemon Gaming" Seeing as anything after 5th Gen right now is not Current and when Gen 6 comes out 5th won't be current. Why not name it Main Pokemon Games since they are the main Pokemon games?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I agree with Syd that "# Generation Games" sounds boring but the nicknames aren't necessarily intuitive to everyone and I don't think anyone calls 4th or 5th gen by a nickname? If they do, I certainly don't know what it is so if we changed those games to match the previous gens down the line, I think it would confuse a lot of people who aren't familiar with the terminology. :/
I'm more concerned with this: why are the forums for the main-series Pokémon games separate?

Spoiler:

This makes the absolute most sense (and how it used to be, if I remember correctly). Move all of the main series games into a category in a logical order of most recent - least recent, and then move the forums that are from alternative Pokémon gaming to a category of their own. That way, the Pokémon main series discussion forums are all in a neat, easy to find area near each other. Why separate old generations from the most up-to-date generation?

General Pokémon Gaming Discussions -> Alternative Pokémon Gaming
Description: For players who extend their Pokémon gaming experience well past the general adventures the game provides.
ie: Players who trade, battle, competitive battle, and play the games with challenges in mind.
The problem I have with it is that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense (to me) to split up the current games and Trading/Battling. And later, it won't make any sense to have those forums hidden in a totally different category from X/Y because it just confuses people who have come to PC just to discuss and play those games. It might look nicer to people who are here quite often but I don't think it's as functional.

Maybe splitting it the way we used to have it, with the wifi functions in their own category:

Main Games
- Pokemon X/Y
- Generation 5
- Generation 4
- Generation 3
- Generation 1&2

Wireless Stuff
- Trade Corner
- Battle Centre

General Gaming
- PKMN Gaming Central
- Spinoffs
- Challenges

It gives us two fairly small categories but it would keep things fairly obvious. :/ (Note I've obviously not given the names of any forums any thoughts, haha.) Wifi is still separate from the generations that use it but at least it isn't tucked away with forums that have literally nothing to do with it and in its own category, it'll still stand out.

The only problem I have with Nick's second category idea is that it isn't very intuitive to me. You've got Gaming Central which is kind of how you talk about all the generations at once, so shouldn't that go in the category with all of them as its catch-all? Then if we're categorizing everything else as "adventures past what the game has to offer", Spinoffs doesn't really work with that description--it wouldn't make sense in either of the categories anymore but if I had to pick, I'd probably think it fits in better with the main games as a second kind of catch-all forum. And that leaves Wifi and Challenges which make for a pretty small category as well as a maaassive games category. :[

Honestly, I kind of like how it is now. I remember the main reason that the setup was switched to "Current Gaming" was to keep Wifi next to whatever current generations there are. Plus, as more and more generations crop up, that main category will get really crowded. Keeping just the most relevant generations in there, plus whatever wifi functions they have, makes it really easy to find what you're looking for if all you want to do is discuss the latest Pokemon games.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't see a reason in changing anything. Names or forum order. Just seems like it's being suggested for the sake of change. You just moved 4th gen into GPGD. That's enough change for now and quite frankly, I don't want any other major changes done to my forums.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Honestly, I kind of like how it is now. I remember the main reason that the setup was switched to "Current Gaming" was to keep Wifi next to whatever current generations there are. Plus, as more and more generations crop up, that main category will get really crowded. Keeping just the most relevant generations in there, plus whatever wifi functions they have, makes it really easy to find what you're looking for if all you want to do is discuss the latest Pokemon games.
Oh. Well, if that's the reason for doing that, then I don't have any problem with keeping it the way it is now. You do have a point that the average user is most interested in the most up-to-date generation, and the trade corner specifically where it is now is a lot more easily accessible.

I don't see a reason in changing anything. Names or forum order. Just seems like it's being suggested for the sake of change. You just moved 4th gen into GPGD. That's enough change for now and quite frankly, I don't want any other major changes done to my forums.
Or for the sake of making things make more sense?

Years
I agree with Syd that "# Generation Games" sounds boring

No, having 'Other' or 'General' in front of everything is boring.

Main Games
- Pokemon X/Y
- Generation 5
- Generation 4
- Generation 3
- Generation 1&2

Wireless Stuff
- Trade Corner
- Battle Centre

General Gaming
- PKMN Gaming Central
- Spinoffs
- Challenges

It gives us two fairly small categories but it would keep things fairly obvious. :/ (Note I've obviously not given the names of any forums any thoughts, haha.) Wifi is still separate from the generations that use it but at least it isn't tucked away with forums that have literally nothing to do with it and in its own category, it'll still stand out.

The only problem I have with Nick's second category idea is that it isn't very intuitive to me. You've got Gaming Central which is kind of how you talk about all the generations at once, so shouldn't that go in the category with all of them as its catch-all? Then if we're categorizing everything else as "adventures past what the game has to offer", Spinoffs doesn't really work with that description--it wouldn't make sense in either of the categories anymore but if I had to pick, I'd probably think it fits in better with the main games as a second kind of catch-all forum. And that leaves Wifi and Challenges which make for a pretty small category as well as a maaassive games category. :[

The Alternative Discussions part fixes this, though.

Current gen gaming:

-X&Y
-B&W
-Gen 4
-Gen 3
-Gen 1&2

Then:

Challenges
Trade Corner
Battle Center
Spin-Offs
GPGD stuff

It's much more organized this way. And to be honest, having Wifi near the current gen was helpful.... back in 2007 when it was new. It's not like people are still getting used to using Wifi to trade anymore.

Cherrim

Years
I don't disagree there. :(
It's much more organized this way. And to be honest, having Wifi near the current gen was helpful.... back in 2007 when it was new. It's not like people are still getting used to using Wifi to trade anymore.
But it's not about whether it's new and confusing anymore, it's about being able to find it in an instant. It is not intuitive to have discussion directly related to the current generation--be it 5th Gen right now or X/Y in a few months--in a separate category from the forum specifically for that generation. If I'm playing the newest game that just came out, when I look up the forum for that game, Wifi should be really close to it. If not, it should be in a section that makes it stand out (ie, its own category). Wifi isn't really "Alternative". It's a core feature of the games and, arguably, one of the main reasons to seek out forums like PC. It should never be pushed into an "Alternative" section because call it what you will, Alternative is just another word for Other/General and the new way would treat it solely as a catch-all for things not in the main series. And Wifi IS the main series so I don't naturally make the connection that it would belong there.

Cherrim

Years
Honestly, while I find "Generation #" to be boring, it's also very functional. :/ I've never been a fan of vague/crazy names in thread titles and I feel the same way with forum names. It may be more interesting to look at but it's not instantly recognizable what the forum is for, either.

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years

The Alternative Discussions part fixes this, though.

Current gen gaming:

-X&Y
-B&W
-Gen 4
-Gen 3
-Gen 1&2

Then:

Challenges
Trade Corner
Battle Center
Spin-Offs
GPGD stuff

If it were up to me I would like it to go like this...
Spoiler:

I know it makes for some really small and also somewhat large sections, but bear with me here.
First of all, you clump all the games together. Any and all Pokemon video game discussion takes place here. Next, you have the Extra Game Activities, which would serve basically as a section for anything that goes on in the games themselves that doesn't directly fit in the Game Discussion category. Extra Pokemon Discussion would basically be for all other Pokemon related topics.
As for the names of the sections....I could really care less, as long as they don't overly confuse people.

Back