• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Years of Lies [IC] [Best Veteran Q2 '12]

Legend

Kingslayer
Years
"Always, she has a few rules that, if met, can mean an alliance. I would say that she is more likely to wait for you to ask, than approach you herself. Her main concern would be protection for herself, and her other allies. So be sure you know who her allies are before you ask."

"I suppose I could take my chances regardless. If she has a number of alliances and I propose my own membership into her…team, for lack of better phrasing, then I acquire more allies in one single move. I suspect I will require them. Though, I am unsure of how to approach a lady of her stature with such a notion. I doubt I can waltz up to her and simple request permission to join her squad," Daiki said, before slouching into a chair burying his face into his hands. Clearly the stress of the games was getting to him, whether or not he would like to admit such a harsh reality. How could a human like him stand to face to face with angels, demons and vampires in a land of Gods? Humanity has no place in this world.

"As for your magic abilities, light can be used for distraction purposes. Set up decoys to swerve your enemies in the wrong direction. Blind your foes, or disorient them with flashing, moving balls of light. Light can be used to brighten caves and places of hiding. One would be able to travel at night just like the vampires, and gain ground much quicker in comparison to the other humans."

"This light hardly sounds effective in a competition that is often decided in combat, rather than a test of survival. I am not stupid enough to remain oblivious to the fact that Gods find this whole escapade entertaining and have constructed this whole thing as a means of keeping themselves distracted from their ideal lives for a few days. They want us to fight. They want us to die in glorious combat to satisfy their desire for blood and gore," Daiki groaned, before stomping over to the window overlooking the sea floor, staring into the deep ocean. His mind felt at ease for a moment or two, taking deep breaths to calm himself.

"I never imagined I would find myself in these games. I never really understood the selection process to be honest, but every year my mother would reassure that my sister and I would never be selected. And every year she was right. I thought that I could move on with my life, get married, have a few kids to pass on the name and ride off into the sunset like in one of my stories. But now, I find myself trapped on this boat, mere hours from an untimely fate after a tussle with the devil. Such a fate I would never wish to bestow upon my worst of enemies in any fashion. I suppose in more regular competition I would fancy my chances as fairly good, but here....here I do not experience such confidence. With such opponents commanding powers and abilities far greater than my own, I pose you this question: What chance do I really have?"

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
Years
Chapter 4 – Preserias – God District

"Get her attention. Make her interested in who you are. A good chance would be at the interview. She would have to watch."

"This light hardly sounds effective in a competition that is often decided in combat, rather than a test of survival. I am not stupid enough to remain oblivious to the fact that Gods find this whole escapade entertaining and have constructed this whole thing as a means of keeping themselves distracted from their ideal lives for a few days. They want us to fight. They want us to die in glorious combat to satisfy their desire for blood and gore,"

The angel sighed, and ran a hand through his hair.

"The games aren't just about combat. During the second season, a lone human girl won by hiding out and waiting until the very end. That was a very bloody game, and she managed to get out with a few cuts and a concussion. If she can do it without magic, you certainly can with light magic." At least he was attempting to cheer Daiki up. If he was a demon or vampire, he probably wouldn't... Say 'suck it up' and then push him into the arena, more like it.

"It isn't just that. I would hate to get into politics here, but that is where it's leading."

His fingers tapped on the leather armrests, and smoothed over thoughtfully.

"There are three reasons to the Population Games. One, for entertainment. The government likes keeping the citizens of their district under a reality that nothing can hurt them unless they ask for it. They use the Games as a subtle reminder of what happens if you go against them and their views. The citizens happily obey, and smash on their makeup."

That was one reason why he was happy to be an adult in the angel realm. At least he wasn't surrounded by clowns and superheros.

"The second reason, is that they don't want the population of humans, angels, demons, and vampires to become a challenge. They respect the resources they have, and don't wish to waste it on lower beings. The Games not only kills at least twenty teenagers, but causes many women to not want to have babies. They don't want to give birth to a child that may be killed before their very eyes."

Before uttering the final reason, Preserias glanced around the room casually, and watched Daiki from his chair. "The third reason, is that they do not want a rebellion. The Games scare the weak, and those who may pose to be a problem in the future as adults are sent to be slaughtered or become servants."

He caught a laugh in his throat, and leaned back his head. That was basically how the world worked now. The High Gods had their power with these games.

"I suggest not telling Bernkastel you got into a 'tussle with the Devil'. She'll take you seriously."

"With such opponents commanding powers and abilities far greater than my own, I pose you this question: What chance do I really have?"

"To be completely honest, I can't say, Daiki. I have not seen you perform, and have only heard your modest words describing talent." He pulled out a slim electronic device, and started it up. It was silver, and fit in the palm of his hand perfectly. A hologram hovered just above, and he shifted his fingers through the controls. This was high technology that not even noble families could obtain. Everyone in the God District had one, of course. And a few high officials in the other districts. Being an angel and owning one was like a badge of authority. He read the text on the screen quietly to himself.

"Well, factoring everything, and saying that you do not get any sort of alliance with a supernatural... About a 10% survival rate. If you got an alliance with Bernkastel, then it would be 29% survival rate. If she happens to like you in particular and you stay with her through most of the games, then 48%. Bernkastel will protect whoever she can. Sometimes that bites her later on, but she doesn't mind."

Chapter 4 – Raum - God District

"I don't know, actually. I suppose it's because she can't be in the drawings for the Population Games if she lived her? It's always a big show when she's in the God's district, though~!"

He smiled at Kerin, and looked off through the other window. Though, he had but a moment's look before his view was obstructed by a harsh wall of concrete. He blinked, and sat back in his seat with the parasol on his lap. They appeared to be in a tunnel of some kind, because everything had gone dark. Suddenly, they were stopped and the servants hopped out on cue. Not a minute later, two new servants returned; both girls in sleek business-like black jackets and dress pants. Defining them as servants were the thin bands of silver on their wrists. All servants, even the ones back in the Training Arena, seemed to have them. A symbol of a flower inside a triangle pressed white neatly into their chest like a badge.

Raum was not surprised. It was a usual thing to happen, so he didn't bother explaining it to Kerin. He didn't know these two servants either, so that didn't help. The started back up, and drove off again in the same direction they had been heading in. A minute later, they stopped yet again and the driver window was rolled down. There were lights, so they were able to see their surroundings for once. It was like those police checks on the streets of the vampire district. Black-outfitted officers hung along the walls quietly, while another spoke with the woman servant in the car. Up ahead, was a blank wall of nothingness. A dead end.

"Four passengers, sir. Two servants of FL rank, owner number 237 Raum Omairus, and his assigned Population Games participant of this year, Kerin Knight from the Vampire District... Approximately four-hour visiting period." She spoke like a drone. Like she had said the basic thing a million times before.

The officer backed off upon confirmation, and signalled to someone whom was apparently on the ceiling. "Clear for entry,"

Before them, the wall groaned lightly with effort. A sliver of light came out from underneath, which quickly widened like the gasping mouth of God himself. As soon as the clearance was high enough, the car gained momentum, and flew forward out of the tunnel.

Once Raum's eyes adjusted to the light, he looked out the window calmly. He had seen the place so many times, he didn't have the same excitement as he had the first three hundred times. Yet, he still couldn't help but smile.

They were in what could only be described as a classic stadium dome. A city grew inside like a private paradise situated a part from the outside world. There were no signs of oppressive behavior, or the waiting Population Games.

(To Be Edited)

Last edited:

SkyisUmbreon

But it Refused
Years
Raike Destan: Human District

-Raike couldn't help but grin at the the last thing Venius had said about the goddesses liking his kind of person. He may be the most despised person in his district, shunned by humanity, but that didn't mean he was still a man. His smile soon vanished, as he knew he couldn't and would never even think of doing if taking advantage of any woman, he despised that kind of person, and he wouldn't bother getting that close to anyone anyway. He felt somehow that Venius was actually trying to help him, even if he was a god, a young one at that. He began to wonder if gods actually aged or if they just had the ability to change their appearance, because despite the height, Venius looked almost the same age as Raike.

Still, he had attempted to access Raike's thoughts, he had felt it the hard thump on the outer ring of his mind, surrounded by the walls. He arched a brow in conclusion, leaning forward and taking a pear out of the bowl of fruits, glaring a Venius still.-

"Watch where your mind wanders, young one, I haven't only been taught to keep people out. Next time you might not only get rebounded. Now, I will not trust you, nor will I forgive your kind for torturing us like a group of animals. I will however be depending on you to get the support from sponsors that I need in order to survive in the arena."

-He took a bite out of the pear, and in the bite seemed to vanish all the contempt and tenseness that was in Raike's voice only seconds ago, and he grinned.-

"So what exactly do these goddesses enjoy about so-called "bad boys?"

Legend

Kingslayer
Years
Daiki hoped that no matter what that Preserias was not a father, for he was not good at comforting people. Reciting old stories about the success of "weaker" human contestants was hardly skillful comforting. Though, receiving hugs would probably be awkward. The exploits of the human winner was a familiar tale, of which Daiki remembers fondly. He admired her abilities as a survivor and was surprised she won, but perhaps that is why he did not comfort him. Daiki felt…useless in comparison. He lacked the resolve to go the lengths that she did, and it did not help that he was not particularly skilled. At least not in his mind. Others begged to differ, but Daiki ignored their compliments completely citing there is always someone better than you.

Daiki also hoped at this point that Preserias was not a teacher or politician with any sort of influence for he fed Daiki ridiculous reasons for the purpose of the Population Games. "There are three reasons to the Population Games. One, for entertainment. The government likes keeping the citizens of their district under a reality that nothing can hurt them unless they ask for it. They use the Games as a subtle reminder of what happens if you go against them and their views. The citizens happily obey, and smash on their makeup. The second reason, is that they don't want the population of humans, angels, demons, and vampires to become a challenge. They respect the resources they have, and don't wish to waste it on lower beings. The Games not only kills at least twenty teenagers, but causes many women to not want to have babies. They don't want to give birth to a child that may be killed before their very eyes. The third reason, is that they do not want a rebellion. The Games scare the weak, and those who may pose to be a problem in the future as adults are sent to be slaughtered or become servants."

Daiki chuckled a bit. "Those must be among the most foolish of justifications for such a vile act by this government. Entertainment is given, I cannot dispute that. And they do serve as a grim reminder of what happens to…non-believers of their propaganda. All the Gods seem to care is entertainment, at least from what I have seen. As a result, nearly every other district (especially the human one, but nobody seems to remember we exist) suffers descending into terrible conditions that I cannot find the words to describe. The Gods oppress their subjects with their displays of power and manipulation. They outnumber us and simply use whatever leftovers of their conquests to fill up arenas to watch their subjects squirm. Humans, at the very least, live in fear. Not happiness. So I suppose I must commend the Gods for being efficient in their rule, but it does not mean I must agree with their methods. They are better ways to rule an entire world," Daiki said, looking at Preserias in the eyes thinking of how he would rule in the God's place if such a thing was possible. Daiki was perhaps too kind to be a ruler of the God's stature. That is what mother always said, when Daiki expressed his aspirations to be a King or some equivalent. His reign would likely be marked by ineffectiveness, disorder, teetering onto chaos, but only in government buildings. Daiki's people would be happy. He was confident in that. It was that vision that made Daiki hope in the deepest parts of his heart that the God's tyranny would come to an end, crashing all around them like a house of cards. Truthfully, Daiki believed that if a rebellion started it would rapidly progress into a powerful movement. A snowball effect. But then….but then Daiki remembered something. These were Gods. They didn't live by the same rules. They never seemed to lose at anything. They had absolute control. Any rebellion would die out before it got started. The snowball would be defeated by a flamethrower.

Daiki became more than crestfallen at that point, practically ignoring at any other attempt at conversation on the part of Preserias. It was not until he revealed the fact he had a slim electronic device on his person that Daiki's attention was captured once again. Daiki, being quite learned, recognized the device as something that often distinguishes one from the rest. Nobles could not capture such devices even with connections established by long days of networking and underhanded bribes. The Gods liked the feeling of superiority and these devices solidified that fact. The fact that Preserias owned one could only mean one thing: He was important. Likely a high ranking official of some sort. This made his political debate all the more surprising. Perhaps Preserias shared Daiki's views? No, not likely. Being sympathetic was a stronger possibility.

"Well, factoring everything, and saying that you do not get any sort of alliance with a supernatural... About a 10% survival rate. If you got an alliance with Bernkastel, then it would be 29% survival rate. If she happens to like you in particular and you stay with her through most of the games, then 48%. Bernkastel will protect whoever she can. Sometimes that bites her later on, but she doesn't mind."

"My chances do not look good then," Daiki sighed. "Any way-" Daiki swayed a bit, losing his balance. "Sorry I did not eat anything yet. Seems I must break my fast."

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
Years
Chapter 4 – Venius Cloud – God District

"Watch where your mind wanders, young one, I haven't only been taught to keep people out. Next time you might not only get rebounded. Now, I will not trust you, nor will I forgive your kind for torturing us like a group of animals. I will however be depending on you to get the support from sponsors that I need in order to survive in the arena."

Venius flinched at Raike's tone, and quickly grabbed his glass to recover. What he hadn't realized, was that his recovery looked quite silly because, it was empty when he tilted it back to sip. Flustered panic was taking over. Normally he wouldn't lose himself so easily. It was basically his job aside from being Raike's guide, to stay calm and presentable. So, something like this came as a shock to the God. All he could do was laugh nervously and refill his glass.

"If it makes you feel better, I do that with everyone. I didn't think a human would be able to block my ability. Uh, sorry..." Raike was certainly interesting. Someone would have had to teach him how to block readings. Meaning, another human could teach this in secrecy to many individual humans.

He sighed deeply, and scratched the back of his head in basic defeat.

"There's so much order in the God's District, that the Goddesses automatically like anyone who has the heart to be rebellious in any way. Victor's have very few rules to follow, and even if they do break these rules, they're let off with a finger shake and a stern 'don't do it again'. To not be a Victor and already have mysterious, rebellious qualities is desireable."

The man reached into his pockets, and pulled out two slim objects. They both caught the lights of the room and reflected them back with their shiny silver-black coating. One was a container, another was some sort of electrical device, similar to a Pre-Modern phone.

"These are two things everyone must carry on them in the God's District." He held up the device. "This is a Personal Identification Device. It's basically every piece of information in a compact design. It holds information on the owner, and allows access to any sort of things you could ever want on a person. I could look up your name and find out where you live, what you want to excel or fail in, what your family tree is like, what health conditions you may develop, any predictions related to you..."

He raised his eyebrows. "Because information is distributed to whoever wants it, it keeps citizens from doing anything that may ruin their reputation. Victors can hide most information about themselves if they want. If I checked Bernkastel's profile, it would be the cleanest one with only a couple paragraphs and obvious traits like eye color. Checking, say, the wife of one of the Victors, would produce the cleanest Goddess profile. But, I can tell you that she probably also has the biggest unknown criminal record."

He clicked open his container and showed Raiki the contents. There were small capsule pills, each with their own section. One red, yellow, and green pills, and two white.

"All citizens also carry similar pills based on job, lifestyle, appearance... That sort of thing. The white pill is for calming nerves. The yellow is for depression. The green substitutes for several glasses of water. The red pill is the only one that everyone else has. Regular citizens do not know what it does, but I know that it erases twenty-four hours of memory. Quite useful, don't you think?"

He snapped it closed. "Anyways. Victors have an option to have all of these things. Wives and husbands of them get lee-way. This is because if everything was completely strict, there would be more rebels than what the Gods need to control the districts. The minimal rebels we have give reassurance to the citizen Gods and Goddesses that the government isn't in complete control, when really they basically are."

He drank from his glass. How much water had he consumed in this time frame? Three glasses? Four? "It also helps that you're good looking, even though you're a human."

Preserias pushed his hands on the armrests to take a stand from his seating. Though he did not approach Daiki, he did listen to what the boy had to say on the matter at discussion. He occassionally looked over at the human as to show he had some of the angel's attention. The rest was focused on their surroundings. Casually, Preserias circled the room and checked practically everywhere. For what, one probably wouldn't guess. He was checking the room to see if it had been bugged. Even though the cruise ship had unexpectedly been their transport, Preserias was curious as to see if the Gods had any flaw. Did they fail to monitor their latest participant?

"I agree that there are better ways. These Gods lust power, not peace."

Smiling, Preserias uncovered the silk shading of a light fixture mounted on the wall, to find a flexible metal device hugging the back of the bulb. Carefully, he peeled the flashing tracker from the metal and stick it back on the bulb; only taking what he had been looking for. Smoothly, he shut it off with the disconnection of the wires. He slipped it into his pocket and made his way over to Daiki.

"My chances do not look good then," Daiki sighed.

"Not at all, Daiki. 48% is an excellent percentage, taking into consideration you have some pretty powerful and bloodthirsty competition--"

Preserias jerked forward slightly when the young man swayed with hunger. The angel straightened as Daiki caught himself; possibly meaning to catch the human had he fallen.

"Sorry I did not eat anything yet. Seems I must break my fast."

He smiled, and shook his head. "You should have told me earlier. I'll go find my... Employees, to see that they make you some food." The word was foreign on his tongue, but seemed to be the appropriate word to use rather than 'servant'.

~~~

Mere minutes passed, and Preserias returned. He held open the door to allow the servants entry. Three in total carried the things necessary for a grand breakfast. They wore suits of pressed white, with sewn-in badges on the left shoulder. The younger one, a girl, unfolded the tablecloth that had been hung on her arm, to cover the single rectangular table in the room (Yes, even she was wearing the suits. It seemed to be the dress-code of the ship's crew). The two men at her side swiftly changed the once bare white surface, into a glamorous feast of the morning. Not only was there baskets of fresh fruit and bread rolls, but towers of perfect fruit-based muffins and two pitchers of drink. One was of milk, the other of some sort of purple concoction. Dishes were set off to the side along with utensils and napkins.

As they did this and put the decorations of fresh flowers, Preserias leaned against the doorway with the device from before pressed against his ear. He was speaking into it, to someone on the other end. A quiet tone, as so the servants across the room did not overhear. Daiki, however, could. And Preserias made it clear that he knew, by giving the human eye contact.

"It was unexpected. I had only gotten the call this early morning as to the details."

He paused, and watched the servants smile at Daiki politely, and slip out the door. Preserias shut it tightly, and held up a finger to the man as to say 'one minute'.

He cleared his throat and checked his silver watch. "It did not occur to me that I would be staying in the God's Realm for more than a day."

Preserias lifted the phone from his ear slightly. Perhaps because the person on the other end raised their voice?

"I understand. It is quite unfortunate that the district lost their leader so recently, and then I myself ended up becoming busy with these Game preparations. As you say, the Angel District cannot run without a leader for the time I will be gone, so please appoint the position to Kalsis temporarily until then."

He removed the phone away from his head, and clicked it off. He nodded to the table. "Help yourself to the food, Daiki."

Last edited:

Legend

Kingslayer
Years
Daiki slouched into the chair after Preserias left. He never felt so weak before. But then again, he had woken up early and had his entire life take an 180 degree turn. He covered his face with his hands, peering through the small gaps of his fingers into the dim lights of the room. He had wondered what ill fate was in store of him, and did he do to deserve such a thing. But then…Daiki realized something. Perhaps it was Preserias pep talk. Perhaps it was an epiphany. Perhaps it nothing deep at all and just a random thought that echoed in his head. Why was he worried? Why did it matter whether or not he was going to live or die? Did death really scare him so? Daiki never gave it much thought before now and that was probably the explanation for why he became so distraught. When speaking with his mother, Daiki simply said what he said to reassure her and to give her a peace of mind, but he never gave it much thought. He never really was concerned about his own well being till now. That must of been the effect of the games. The intended effect. Reduce one to their purest instinct and force them to fight to the death. For whatever reason, speaking to Preserias relaxed him and made Daiki realize that none of it really mattered in the end. His worries and concerns would only hinder him. What would benefit his survival the most was not dreading his own demise…no, it would be to find a purpose. To find some reason to survive.

Perhaps, Preserias could assist Daiki in this quest to find a deeper purpose to compete in the games and strive for victory. Even if the reason was a weak one and nothing more than an excuse to indulge in violence, something Daiki never enjoyed in the slightest. As much as Daiki disliked Preserias political stances (or excuses) Daiki could not ignore the apparent kindness he showed in his talks with Daiki and be seemingly ready to catch himi in his moment of weakness. But would it be right to ask someone to give him a reason to fight? Shouldn't one's desire to survive be enough?

Preserias strode into the room, providing aid to the employees of the ship in their attempt to offer Daiki nourishment of the most opulent kind. Daiki was somewhat used to this of dining, but there was something about the feel of the meal that made everything…different. Daiki couldn't quite articulate. Regardless, Daiki was pleasantly surprised by the whole display. After everything was finished being placed, Daiki bowed slightly in his seat: "Thank you for the fine meal. I wish I could repay you in some fashion. Though working on this ship in itself must be nice in its own way." Daiki presumed their uniforms were a result of having fairly permeant employment for the Gods. The ship was amazing and being surrounded by such beauty must be nice. Though Daiki couldn't help but wonder if there was a catch. He certainly hope there was not one.

Curious as to why Preserias did not join him, Daiki observed the angel on the wall, planted against the wall with the device against his ear. It was a phone too? Daiki could tell there was a conversation being had. And Preserias knew that. His gaze matched Daiki's own. Entranced by the conversation, Daiki listened in, cutting off any attempts to eat or engage in conversation with the servants except for asking them to pour him a glass of milk (though he preferred tea or coffee in the morning). Daiki caught one detail. One that explained a lot of Preserias knowledge, eloquence and importance: He was the district leader for the Angels. The new one it would seem, as Daiki was sure there was another one. The name escaped him at the time, but Daiki could swear that the name was in the headlines recently. Wasn't one of the competitors related to the leader? If so, why was his guide suddenly promoted? All of this was quite confusing especially since Daiki was catching all of this out of context and offhand.

Speaking of his guide, Preserias returned to the table, insisting Daiki consume food.

"Only if you join me, district leader," Daki said with a nod of acknowledgement. "When was your promotion? If I recall correctly, there was another leader. The name escapes me, however."

SkyisUmbreon

But it Refused
Years
Raike Destan: Human District Contractee

-Raike only shrugged at Venius's unsaid defeat and picked up a mug of coffee grimacing slightly at the taste as is rolled down his throat. He didn't enjoy coffee really, but he could feel his weariness beginning to cause his eyes to droop and lower. As soon as the liquid touched his tongue he felt the fatigue being beaten back with a metal broom and he sat up straighter. Placing the mug down on the fine table, he took another bite out of the sweet pear, chewing thoughtfully. Everything in the God's district could be nothing less than perfect and no less abstract; moving away from that thought he spoke with a note of finality and frankness.-

"Well given the certain devices you claim everyone here uses in everyday life, you'll have to excuse me in saying that you all are a collection of fake posers. I will also say that I guess the saying, "Be happy with who you are" never reached here, or was censored for being to individualistic, which is very sad indeed. Your president is an *******."

-Sitting back in his seat he crossed his arms defiantly and glared at Venius, daring to say something about it, but then decided to add something else.-

"I hope you're precious district also realizes they have been turned into prisoners, and tricked into thinking themselves safe. Its a simple government trick, usable by even a 6 year old to gain dominion over the rest of the class. Make them think that if they are not with him, and if they do not follow his rules, they are not going to remain safe. So fueled by fear they rush to his side like ants to their hills. A damn shame.

I am good looking, yes but we will see what happens when the interview comes.... speaking of which, when is it? The time seems to have slipped my mind.""

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
Years
Chapter 4 – Venius Cloud – God District

Venius flinched at Raike, and cleared his throat. The human certainly made things uncomfortable. It wasn't like he had a choice to be born a God in this time period. It wasn't like he chose to be Raike's guide. Everything was controlled by the government, and it was not his fault that things were the way they were. The God inhaled deeply and popped his container back open to remove a single white pill. He didn't hesitate to pop it into his mouth and swing down a drink of water. The effects were immediate, and coursed rapidly through his body. He calmed, relaxed, and felt like jelly. Venius felt cool, like ice cubes had been taped to his back. It was nice.

He leaned back with a smile, running a finger around the rim of his glass.

"I would try not to say that during the interview, boy. Otherwise you'll get a bullet through your head. " He looked the human in the eye. "Though I am certainly not saying that I disagree with you. Amazingly, some people actually have a heart for the other species which are forced into these games." He flicked his glass, nearly spilling the small portion of water left. "So don't be throwing me into the mix of 'ants' you have running around your mind. I am a free thinker, and that is exercised by my position."

Venius chuckled softly, and set his glass down. He checked the white-trimmed watch on his left wrist. "Hm... Well, it's near eleven already, and the interview starts at two. I suppose we better get ourselves down there. I have some work to do without you beforehand, so the faster I get you situated and dressed, the better." The God paused. "I'm assuming you don't have to go back to your room for anything?"

(Joint Post, To Be Editted)

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
Years
Chapter 4.5 – Venius Cloud – God District

It was more than just a stadium. It was a palace with a grand stage, awaiting the entertainers to arrive on its surface.

The place was sun-kissed a series of golds and whites for the theme of that year, with spiraling pillars that would make the Romans proud of their Gods. Held upon those pillars, was the main attraction; a reflective mirror that held together three things. Two of the most luxurious chairs sat facing eachother, with a table seperating the two respectfully. Lining the mirror stage, were vines of gold that made up the rail. Couldn't have anyone climbing onto the stage, or falling off, no?

Fanning out from the center like sunflower petals, were the spectator seats. And within thoser finely carved works, sat the eager Gods and Goddesses of the world. The place was big enough to sport nearly the entire population of the God's District. And anyone who couldn't go was exiled. Such a big social event was so important, that anyone who didn't go had to be either extremely poor, or at death's door. For now, the species was calm and collected, but as the lights shifted off from the aisles and onto the centerwork, excited whispers and random cheers blew through. The lights shimmered as though they were encrypted with glitter. A circular panel on the mirror lowered itself into the inside of the "Backstage", and a hush fell over the colorful crowd. The second a figure rose up from it, it was practically a riot. Shouts of joy and entertainment rang like the schoolbells that held God's children indoors during the show. A perfect white smile greeted the citizens, and a hand gestured a welcome.

"Gods and Goddesses of the Realm! Venius Cloud!" The overhead speakers boomed. It was more than just an event. It was a celebration of the long-awaited Population Games. The show before the real show. All this excitement? It wasn't just for him. It was for the boys and girls under the mirror, as well.

Venius walked off the panel as it clicked into place, and moved himself around the stage to catch eye with those lucky enough and wealthy enough to sit right up to the rail. He even reached over at times to take the hands of the young Goddesses. He didn't have a mic on him. He didn't need one, nor was his voice obnoxiously loud. His voice had been amplified specifically to be overheard through the commotion. He was their idol right that moment. Venius Cloud was a name that you talked about over supper. He was the embodiment of entertainment; sometimes seen as the face itself for the most popular reality television show, The Population Games.

"Hello, my fair neighbours!" He addressed them all. The cries grew louder as they all took it upon themselves to reply back.

It took a few minutes for the spectators to settle down, and when they did, Venius took a seat respectfully in one of the chairs. Cameras up on the balconies high up, were aimed at ever inch of the stage as not to miss any surprises.

"It's very nice to see familiar faces from last week's show. But, who wouldn't be here for this special?" He chuckled, and crossed his legs. "Wow... Do we ever have a grand cast for the Games this year... Well! What better to go with a grand Gamemaster? I give you my first guest, Natruo Henayas!" The panel had disappeared once more, and rose back up with Venius' first guest. The man stood tall with a fitted dress shirt of red and black. He looked sharp. His hair had been dyed, perhaps specifically for the occassion, to the blackest of blacks. Though, he still had that spike-style to it. He probably impaled small children on his head. The crowd cheered for him hard, as he was the giver of their favorite show. Of their favorite Victors. The noise quieted down appropriately when he shook hands with his interviewer, and sat down across from him.

"So, Natruo..." And it began.

Last edited:

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
Years
Chapter 5 - Let The Games Begin!

Summary:
Your days of relaxation are over, as it is now the day of the games. Gods watch their televisions in excitement and antisipation for their favorite "reality" show to start. However, many who are actually participating in this are not exactly thrilled to get the parts as "Main character". There are no dialogue scripts to follow, or fancy special-effects over a green screen. This is real. As much as the blood courses through your veins, it may be spilled within this deadly game. Welcome to "The Population Games".

What's Happening?:
Today you will wake up at exactly eight o'clock to the sound of your Guide knocking at your door. Upon answering, you will be handed a set of clothing according to your gender and species to change into. You cannot wear anything else, and you cannot pack anything with you (Though you are allowed to pack one wearable heirloom from your district which will be inspected by your Guide. (Such as a pendant, small rock, ring, ect)

After changing, you will be led downstairs to your vehicle. Each participant has their own vehicle to ride with their Guide. You will eat your final meal here, which can be as much as you want, including non-alcoholic drinks.

You will arrive at yet another building, where you will board a hovercraft based on your species. You will be in your own cubicle, so you cannot interact with the other participants here, or at any time before or after.
You will land in an underground base, so you cannot see the outside world (ie: where you are exactly). You will be taken by guards to individual rooms for final preparation by your Guide, before entering a glass tube within the room.

Description of attire (female):
- simple black pants that can only be described as "yoga" pants. You will wear a fitted sports bra and underwear according to your chest size for the most comfortable and flexible fit. The black tanktop will be made fully of cotton, and each participant will be given a black wool coat of light material to be worn overtop. There are exactly two 4'' by 4'' pockets on either side, and it is done up by a black zipper. There is also a hood that can be tightened via the strings on both shoulders. For footwear, women have two options; durable black-grey running shoes with automatic clasp fitting, or 12'' tall boots made specifically for rough terrain and weather conditions (water proof). Optional, is a belt to be worn at the waist and simple black gloves.

Description of attire (male):
- Similar to the female clothing, male participants will wear black pants and a cotton black t-shirt. The coat is indifferent to the female's design, save for the zipper being replaced with metal clasps. The strings for the hood are located at the front (collarbone) and the pockets are in the same place as the females, with the same measurements. Men have two options for shoes. The first option are the running shoes mentioned in the female section with automatic fitting clasps and grip capabilities. Second option, is a pair of 12'' boots also specially designed for all terrain and weather. Optional, is a belt to be worn at the waist and simple black gloves.

Differences In Attire For Species:

Angels - Slits are cut into the backs of the jacket and shirts to perfectly fit your wings. On the left side of the chest, is the Angel District emblem, which will be shown in a later sketch.

Humans - On the left side of the chest is the Human District emblem, which will be shown in a later sketch.

Vampires - On the right side of the chest is the Vampire District emblem, which will be shown in a later sketch.

Demons - Slits are cut into the backs of the jacket and shirts to perfectly fit your wings (The exception is Ryuu, who will not have slits in his clothing). On the right side of the chest is the Demon District emblem, which will be shown in a later sketch.

~~~~~~~~~~

OOC: I do hope rocks won't be pelted at me! Pardon the long hiatus.... But this is revived!

SkyisUmbreon

But it Refused
Years
Raike Destan: Human Contractee

(YOSHA! LETS BRING THIS BACK UP TO SPEED!)

-Raike glared at Venius as he was handed the plain set of cloths and told that his normal attire would not be allowed in the games. His right hand trembled resisting the urge not to steal Venius in his modified face. Instead of the usual running shoes, Raike chose to wear the boots, as they were the closest to his own set. Before he left he actually had a type of funeral for his clothes, saying a few words over them before leaving the room and following Venius to the vehicle that would transport them to the hovercraft port. He completely shuts out the crowds and noise as he tried to concentrate on his game plan for the arena and if he would go for weapons or cover first, trying to calculate possible killboxes and safe havens.

Inside the vehicle he ordered only light food, so he wouldn't be weighed down or have to involuntarily bring up what he had eaten. He drank only only a few glasses of water and leaned back in his seat, closing his eyes and trying to grab a few more z's. As the vehicle pulled into the hovercraft port, his eyes opened and he looked outside the window at the building, taking in every detail of it. He then glanced back at Venius with a grin that showed acceptance as well as a heavily pitying look.

As Raike walked into the building he shook my head slowly with a sad smile. ~Venius really thinks that he's his own man here in this corrupted district. How muddled are the minds of these people, that they don't realize when they are being controlled and fooled into thinking they are in control.~ Instead of loathing them, Raike began to feel sorry for all of them in the sense that they weren't truly aware of their situation and their surroundings; even high ranking individuals such as Venius. He stepped onto the hovercraft without any sound, only glancing behind him to see Nokoto climb into another hovercraft before she was shielded from his view by the walls of his own craft.

Landing inside some sort of subterranean base, he was escorted by two guards into a room containing the capsule that he would eventually enter and rise to the arena the devious game masters had created to torture them. There were many things to consider about the arena, first of all being that no one was ever sure what it was going to be, location wise. Another thing would be the inhabitants... inhuman, vicious inhabitants nicknamed freaks for shortness sake. He walked over to one of the not too distant walls and leaned against it, glaring at the capsule and crossing his arms. This room would be the last place he would likely be able to see, a plain room with naught besides the tube.-

Last edited:

Legend

Kingslayer
Years

Bernkastel Vermillia and Daiki Ethered- Night before the Games

"....." My fingers laced like vines over the handle. I was standing outside, with the setting sun to my back. I had just come back from the city, even though the interviews had ended well over two hours ago. As expected, my Guide relayed that I had an 'astonishing' amount of sponsors this year, which wasn't all that astonishing to me. I had expected it, since I had won twice before. It was just statistics. I knew how to play, so my chances of winning were even greater. I didn't have any emotions to control me, and instead played with five demons like puppets on string. Yet... I was just a larger puppet myself; unable to turn my head to see who was really controlling me. Was it Lord Ashura? The Gods? Or was it someone else entirely?

My eyes flickered back to the door. According to Natruo, the new arrivals would be training directly after the interview in a building seperate from the others, but still nearby so they could go to bed when they were finished. The four of them were beyond this wall, and I could hear the sounds of magick and metal and exhausted people. I felt almost sorry for them... Having to cram in a training session the night before being thrown into the arena... Sighing soft, I dusted off my skirt and entered the building. As soon as I was through the door, I ducked a few inches downward automatically. A knife whizzed past my head, and clattered off the opposite wall. My gaze fell to the vampire girl named Scarlet. "Sorry," She muttered, but it was obvious she didn't mean it. She was definitely not alliance material. However, there was one participant here that had caught my attention the moment I had seen him. "....." I wandered around the stations until I found him with his Guide Preserias. I watched them from afar; curious, but still cautious. After meeting everyone else, I was half-expecting this nice-looking gentleman to be some kind of psycho, or at the very least nothing like what he appeared to be. Yet, the more I watched him now, the less I thought like that.

Preserias was busy with the activity Daiki had chosen to practice at, when his gaze lingered away slightly to a dark figure watching them from over by archery equipment. The angel leaned to Daiki's ear. "Seems you have caught the attention of the two-time winner, Daiki."

"Well, that cannot be good," Daiki said, as stopped firing his magic bolts of energy. It was readily apparent that he didn't want his tricks being seen by others. "I am curious as to why she would bother visiting me. Hopefully, she isn't after my hard earned sponsors." Grabbing a towel from his guide, Daiki wiped his brow of sweat and slowly made his way over to the two time winner. "I shall be back shortly. I cannot bear to waste a lady's time, even if she does want to kill me in less than 24 hours." Daiki approached and smiled as he made eye contact. "What do I owe the pleasure of being visited by the legendary Lady Bernkastel?"

When Daiki stopped his magic, my attention turned to what Preserias uttered to him. Well, that certainly made him stop. Quietly, I held my hands together in front of me, and watched as the human departed from his guide to greet me. "I am hardly legendary. People will forget I existed the moment I die. That's how this society is." I tipped my hat at Daiki. "You did an amazing job at the interviews today, and I have come to properly congratulate you. It seems they have all taken a liking to you, which is very favorable." I looked over in Preserias' direction. "Even more interesting, a human who can manipulate light.... Is this a recent talent?"

"Any time a human does anything these days it could be considered interesting. But no, I could always do so. Not like I will succeed with it tomorrow regardless. Now, may I ask why you visit me of all the tribute?. Do you not bigger and better contestants to spy on? Or request alliances with?" Daiki said. He was skipping right to point. A strange development from Daiki, who always enjoyed a pleasant conversation. It was the pressure of the games, though. He would admit as much if someone asked. It put him on edge. He was nervous, scared maybe, but definitely nervous. He didn't know what to expect, what to do. Perserias told him to make friends, but that was much easier said than done.

I blinked at his straightforwardness. Interesting... "Ah, pardon... I do not wish to waste your precious time with chatter. To the point..." She gazed up at his eyes. "You have caught my interest... And I would like to settle a sort of agreement with you. It would not make sense to go after each other, as one can win from each district." So, his being alive didn't affect the winnings of anyone besides a human. "And actually, I do not do a whole lot of spying. Even now, I was in plain sight."

"Or perhaps you are merely a terrible spy," Daiki said with a cheeky smile. "A deal does interest me, but first answer me this: why me? Surely they are other humans you can make such an agreement with? Such as…Raike? Nokoto?"

My lip flinched, and I forced the smile to not form. "Yes, maybe that is it..." I played along, if nothing more than to fit in. "Why..You?" How to answer that... "I already have an immunity deal with Raike, to be completely truthful. Simply means one less person I have to worry about..." My wings lowered slightly. "I think you are a nice young man, and one of the more deserving to win..."

Daiki smiled at the comment. "Kind words that I did not expect. I apologize for my crude behavior then. I expected more hostility, but then again I am talking to a beautiful young woman. I forgot my manners completely. However, if you want a deal with me, I fear I would have to decline if you already have a pact with Raike. Seeing how he is the most direct threat to my chances of walking out alive, I do not seek to create a conflict of interest with a third party. I am more than aware that you have a number of alliances, Lady Bernkastel, but sadly I regret to inform you that you cannot save everyone. You must pick your allies with greater care. So I will be kind in this exchange. You may choose to ally with me and cancel your previous deal with Mr. Raike, or walk away and pray that you do not see me in the arena," Daiki eyes narrowed at the end with a eerie blue glow.

Was that last bit some kind of threat? I was the one trying to save him, here. "None of my alliances or immunities will have any affect on you. What is made between myself and Raike is not a 'watch my back, I'll watch yours' but a... 'don't attack me, and I won't attack you'. I would not be obligated to save him or help him win. At the same time, if yourself and himself happened to be, say, hanging off a cliff... I would not be obligated to help either of you. An immunity simply means I will not go after you. My demons will not go after you, and my specific allies will not go after you." My eyelids fluttered, and my gaze fell to the archery equipment. "I cannot save everyone, but I will save those I can. I've done it before..."

"Immunities sadly do not interest me right now. I rather have a deal with someone and feel as if I can trust them. An alliance. Not some fickle peace treaty that a mere whim can break. Otherwise, I would be better off on my own," Daiki said, preparing himself to go back to training. "And I do not think I need to remind you that there can only be four winners. I have no idea how you plan to save everyone with that little…handicap. However, if you truly want me on your side I am open to discussion later. You may visit either tonight or find me in the arena before I become a corpse. Till then, milady," Daiki bowed, taking Bern's hand and kissing it lightly. "May the odds be ever in your favor."

I listened quietly to what Daiki had to say. It was too bad he wouldn't even consider an agreement. Perhaps that would be his downfall. He was a nice man, but it seemed like it wouldn't work out if I had an agreement with another human - especially Raike. It would be rude of me to break off my agreement with Raike, not to mention dangerous. He had a contract with Mammon, and Mammon would certainly be on his side if I decided to go against him. I wasn't one to go back on my word to begin with, so the very thought of my doing so was absurd.

I didn't need reminding that there could only be four official winners. I knew that. I had been through this twice already and had somehow survived both times. I wasn't going to explain myself, seeing as a peace-agreement, let alone alliance, seemed impossible between myself and Daiki. Would it be his loss, or mine? Well, it certainly depended on how Daiki dies in the arena... Or which person decided to backstab me this year.

The human took my hand within his own, and I watched as he kissed the top of it. I tilted my head ever so slightly in reaction to this gesture. In all my years alive, the only person who ever did something like that was...

"And may they ever be yours three-fold, Daiki. I shall contemplate your words with utmost care." I really needed to stop thinking I could save everyone I saw. Just how foolish was I? And how many things have I done that I have regretted? Not many, but they would definitely have a negative impact on my game-play this year. I was still angry with myself deep down, that I had let peace slip away so easily between Ryuu and myself. He was the biggest threat to me; moreso than anyone else I had ever encountered. I didn't like having to rely on my Servants, but it would seem I wouldn't have a choice. Ryuu was a physical competitor; something I lacked. I was physically weak, and even though I couldn't express my emotions outwardly, they still affected my thought realm. To Ryuu, his only happiness came through fighting, and his anger drove the train of his power. I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared of him.

"Farewell... I do hope we can speak to each other again." With that, I let my hand slip from his, glanced back at Preserias, and turned on my heels. Such a busy night this would be...

Daiki Ethered- Morning of the Games

There came a knocking on Daiki's chamber door. It was 8'o clock. On the dot. That was so like Preserias to be on time, Daiki thought to himself as he stared out the window of his room.

"Come in," Daiki said, wide awake. He barely slept the past night, which was to be expected. He was training with his mentor for most of the night, almost like a cramming session. By the time he was to sleep, it was in the early hours of the morning. Daiki caught a few winks of sleep, but it was meager for the most part. He resolved about half way through the night that he would make up for any lost sleep in the arena. There were ways to escape danger now. Confidence, a once precious resource, had been restored. Daiki found himself almost smiling now.

"I brought your required attire for the games. I went ahead and picked the best set for you, given your skills," Preserias said with a gesture towards the clothing as he placed them on the made bed.

"Excellent," Daiki said as he shuffled through the black shirt, pants, coat, all terrain boots and belt. "Boots, eh? Not exactly my style, my friend."

"I do not think you will need running shoes. Not with your abilities."

All Daiki could do was smile.
---------------------------------------------------------
Daiki emerged from his room with his attire on. It was surprisingly comfortable, though he feared for the fact it would be his only outfit for likely a number of days. In other words, it was doomed to smell putrid by the time he would be done in the arena. Alive or dead. The only little accessory he had with him was a necklace with a locket in it.

"I do not recognize that," Preserias said with a discerning look.

"That is because I rarely wear it outside my clothing. There is a picture inside. Of my sister. I figure the crowd would love it," Daiki replied with a sheepish smile. Preserias held in a small chuckle, realizing that Daiki was almost too good at the whole nature of the games. He led his prodigy of a tribute downstairs into the garage of the facility to SUV Limo. It seems that they would ride in style to the games. At least Daiki could enjoy comfort a little longer.

"We will take this car to another building of which you will board a hovercraft to the games. I have prepared a fine meal for you. I suggest you eat up since there is no telling how long it will take to access food in the arena."

"Fine by me. I am hungry anyway."

The ride to the building was lengthy, if only because it traveled at a slow pace. Daiki had little doubt Preserias organized that fact as he wanted to give Daiki time to enjoy his meal of meat, vegetables, fruit, tea, and other delicious food and drink. It was to be Daiki's last presumed meal as anything could happen in the arena. All the other contestants could contract food poisoning, or have sudden fatal heart attacks. Or they could gang up on the new guy in Daiki and kill him in an instant. Daiki hoped that wouldn't be the case. After all, he still wasn't told why the Gods demanded his involvement in the Games.

Daiki munched on his food, pondering his strategy in the Games. Preserias was there, but the talks between the two were kept at a historic low. Daiki expressed a desire for space the previous night, as he knew that he needed to prepare himself mentally and emotionally for the trauma that was going to take place. The inevitable fact that Daiki would likely have to kill people. Or at least experience the death of others. Luckily, he hadn't bonded to anyone (meaning their deaths would be only minor tragedies), barring that fact that he admired the beauty of some of the women here. Hopefully, he wouldn't be forced to fight them.

"We are here, Daiki. Are you ready?"

Daiki took one last bite of steak and crammed his mouth full of bread. With a loud, painful swallow, Daiki mumbled the words: "Of course" before nearly choking. Chugging a pitcher of water, Daiki preceded to step out of the limo and followed his guide to the previously mentioned hovercraft.

"I will meet before you enter the arena. Just keep to yourself on the craft and focus on the mental exercises I gave you. Then we will 'cram' as you aptly said before you go in," Preserias said with a forced smile.

"Aye, my lord."
-------------------------------
Daiki boarded the hovercraft and took his seat, following orders when they were given as to not stir up any trouble. It was exclusively humans, so Daiki caught a glimpse of his only real competition. He did not concern himself with the other races. At least not yet. During the flight, Daiki took Preserias' advice and focused his mind. It was a form of meditation in which Daiki blocked out any fear and anxieties he had. It was to focus on the task on hand. Obtain some more confidence in himself, his abilities, his knowledge, his resources and above all, his heart. Preserias tried to assure Daiki that he had the potential to win, permitting his focused on it. "There is nothing to fear but yourself," he was told. "Conquer thyself and you will conquer all."

Bold words that kept Daiki going.

The hovercraft landed in an underground base that was impossible to decipher the exact location. It didn't really matter. No doubt whatever was outside was deadly to every species here. Part of him wanted to say in the dreary base. Regardless, Daiki followed his escort to his private room where Preserias stood, ready to give Daiki his final preparations.

"Any questions?"

"No."

"Any concerns?"

"None that I have right now."

"So you believe you are ready?"

"I think so. As long as we precede with the plan we have, I will be fine."

"Just remember your part. I remember mine."

Daiki smiled and forced Preseries to shake his head before giving him a brief embrace. Preserias' eyes were a mix of shock, awe, and confusion. "It is a human thing. Get used to it. I am sure I will give you many more when I am done cleaning up the arena."

Those were his last words before entering the glass tube.

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
Years
Joint Post - Raike & Mammon

Just before Raike could step into the tube, a red mist mist slipped out from underneath the door, and morphed into the Demon of Manifestation. Her long red hair was down for once, and spilled across her shoulders in perfect curls. Her dress, seeming to be freshly painted in blood, cast down onto the floor in strands of ribbon.

"Hey Raike..." What were you supposed to say to someone who might die in the arena above them?

He met her appearance with a death defying grin, seeming completely oblivious to the arena above him. He stayed on the wall watching her with crossed arms. His eyes scanned her person, noting the new dress that decorated the floor.

"Hey Mammy, I see you followed my advice on that dress of yours..."

-He paused, unsure of what to say next, he was about to be thrown into the deadly arena, so there wasn't much to say to her. They wouldn't likely be able to talk much in the arena openly without being spotted seeing as the cameras would be on everyone from the moment that tube went topside.

"If you have anything to say to me, now would be the time."

"That's what I kinda figured... I can't be seen with you. Only Bern." She frowned, and leaned against the opposite wall. "Which... Sucks..." She sighed, and looked at the tube. She couldn't help him outwardly if he got into trouble. It was a horrible thought, but Raike didn't want anyone to know about their contract.

"Just... Don't do anything rash, please. I know you want to fight Ryuu, but don't do it right at the start... Because even if you do win, you'll be exhausted and wounded. And..."

"What's this? I sense concern for my well being coming from you. But yes, for the good of the both of us, it would be best if you were not seen with me, no matter what. Of course we will still talk mentally but you know the strain it puts on my concentration.

He walked over to her casually, keeping his unwavering grin present on his face. Uncrossing his arms, he reached out and flicked her forehead.

"Dont talk about bad things unless you want to jinx me, and having a contract with Bern and being a demon yourself you know how deadly those can be."

Withdrawing from the pluck he patter he head reassuringly.

"Don't worry about me Mammon, of all people you should know what I can endure."

He began backing towards the tube slowly.

Mammon flinched when her forehead was flicked, and a frown lowered onto her lips.

"I don't believe in jinxes. That's just silly..." Her eyes wavered when he began leaving. What if she did jinx him? What if he did die? An imaginary stone pressed harshly into her ribcage.

"Raike,"

Mammon moved forward quickly, and grabbed the sleeve of his jacket. She stared at his face, unwavering. "...If you can't handle something, ask for my help. Don't think you can handle everything these Gods throw at you. Ryuu isn't the only thing that may threaten your life. If you need power, I'll give it to you. If you need something, I will manifest it."

"And if you need reassurance I won't die, then ready my lips. I won't die. There, I want that on replay in your mind."

He reversed the hold that she had on his sleeve and pulled her closer to him for a hug. After a few seconds, he released her and held her at arms length with a genuine smile labling his face. Taking one hand off of her, he held it open; a few seconds later a small "M" shaped piece of metal materialized and fell into his hand. Holding it he brought up her hand and placed it inside her own, folding it closed afterwards.

"This is my token, and I'm entrusting you to keep it safe, you hear? Its not like you won't be there with me anyway, so I'm sure you'll do what you think is right when the time comes, no matter how much it may piss me off."

After doing this he resumed walking back towards the tube and entered it, but not yet closing it.

"Anything else Mammy?"

Mammon inhaled sharply when she was pulled all so suddenly into Raike. A hug... The demon slowly hugged him back. She liked Raike... Far more than any of her other Contractors. And that was such a bad move on her part, because he had a one in twenty-four chance of dying in the arena above them. Then what? Even if he somehow made it to Hell, he wouldn't be the same. He would just be a lingering human soul...

Mammon's heart sank slightly when the hug ended, but she couldn't help but smile back at Raike. Jeez. Why was he the one comforting her? Shouldn't she be the one being optimistic about his survival? He was the one in danger, after all.

".....?" Mammon watched as he manifested the metal token of her initial, and bit her lip when it was placed inside her hand. It was nice to see that their training had paid off, and he could manifest things such as this... He was better with his fire magic, too. That brought a bit more relief to the demon, and she nodded slowly.

"Yeah. You can count on that, Raike." She looked down at the metal piece momentarily. When she looked back up, Raike was in the tube. Another pang went through her chest.

"Anything else, Mammy?" He had asked. It made her smile just a little bit more.

"Go kill Ryuu." She grinned.

With those final three words, the tube automatically slid shut; cutting off their verbal communication.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
It was the second time in the past month that someone else had roused him from his sleep without expecting the usual retaliation from Ryuu. Both were on significant occasions. The first time was when his butler woke him up on the day Ryuu was to be sent off to the Population Games. This second time was the knocking on the door Ryuu heard at 8 in the morning. The day had come. The Population Games were about to begin. In truth, Ryuu had not gotten much sleep last night. He was too enthralled with the revelries that would take place the following morning, so much so that he couldn't wait for sleep to come for them to begin. So it was in an immediate moment that Ryuu opened the door after hearing the knock. On the other side was Somal. Ryuu paid little mind to what the man had to say, more focused on the clothing he held in his hand, which Ryuu took without question. He had long passed the point where he would argue the trivial ceremonies of the pre-Games. The end result would be worth all the nonsense before, he constantly told himself.

Ryuu quickly put on the clothes given to him, not making the slightest remark to Somal. Whether he asked a question to the demon or not, Ryuu wasn't sure, and quite frankly at this point didn't care. He wanted to go through the rest of the mundane activities and begin the games. Ryuu put on the last metal clasp of his coat. The style of clothing provided wasn't too different than his own, save for a few changes here and there. Obviously he would prefer to wear his own clothes, but at this point, again, it was all inconsequential. Every small action he did now, every step he took, every inhale of his breath, was one small step closer to the ultimate prize. Every burden he relinquished to that end was worth it.

Ryuu was led to what Somal called his 'vehicle', where inside waited one final meal for him. Ryuu smirked. He recalled in the human districts existed a custom where human prisoners were given one final meal of their choosing before they would be executed. He found the parallel symbolism amusing. A final meal would be given to the others, many of which knew they were going into a situation where they would inevitably die. Others perhaps gave it a passing thought but firmly denied it on the surface, perhaps to maintain their own sanity. Then there were those who truly believed that they would live and win. There were a few that Ryuu recalled that could fit into that category. Those were the ones that Ryuu wanted to kill the most. To look into the eyes of the most confident right before their death would definitely be worthwhile, knowing that he broke down one so prideful. He wanted to make sure that they looked him in the eyes right before they died, so that not only would they know who it was that sent them from this world, but also so that he could see who they really were before they were sent. Ryuu always believed ones true persona emerged on the eve of one's death. In many ways, he knew many he had killed so well better than their families ever did. Such a rewarding experience.

The food was everything Ryuu had wanted and expected, and then some, causing him to continue to be reminded of the human custom he had heard of. A last meal. A true last meal. As Ryuu sat through the ride contemplating this while stuff his face, he wondered how truly he should react if this were to really be his last meal. Obviously, he did not believe it to be the case, but Ryuu tried to imagine the scenario that he was not going to win this event, and that the bites of food he was taking really were his last. What then would he do different? Would he chew differently, perhaps slower, savoring every bite of the meal that comes into his mouth? Or would he eat as much as he could possibly fit into his stomach, trying to get the most quantity in his last meal? Ryuu didn't know which path he would take, but the more he contemplated it, the more it was beginning to feel like an actual last meal, instead of simply a hypothetical one. Every bite he seemed to take after this thought seemed to matter just a bit more. Every small chew in his mouth seemed to have the weight of hundreds prior, and every miniscule memory of every small action he did, every step he took, every inhale of his breath, every burden he relinquished, and every mundane activity he participated in seemed to be considerably more important. He no longer saw it as something that he had to do but something that he needed to do, as if every small step was a preparation for the main one. Ryuu began to understand that it was in these smaller, trivial moments that he learned the most about himself and his character. The train ride over, the dining, the clashes with the others, and the small talk in between. All were part of the puzzle, a puzzle that needed to be complete. Now, as Ryuu's vehicle began to come to a halt, the puzzle was being completed. But Ryuu didn't exit just yet. If he were truly playing the role of participant in his own last meal, then he had to complete it the way he wanted to. That said, Ryuu placed down and remaining food back onto the table, grabbed hold of the entire table that all of the leftover food was on, and with a mighty heave, tossed it right through the window of the vehicle and onto the street next to the hovercraft. There. Now it was a suitable conclusion to a last meal.

Grinning brightly, Ryuu exited the vehicle and entered the hovercraft, which took Ryuu to a location he knew where not. It appeared to be somewhere underground, somewhere out of sight. In this room he was taken in was two things: Somal and a glass tube. Somal explained that this was the entrance, but Ryuu had already felt that this was the case without the man having to utter a single world. He knew it was the time. Excitement tingled inside of Ryuu. He could feel his blood begin to rush to all parts of his body, and his head seemed to feel a bit dizzy. All of the excitement seemed to be getting to him. His rage was coming in.

Ryuu took a step towards the glass tube, and then another. Every step he took made his heart pound harder, and his arms tingle. It was excitement beyond any he had faced before. In the Population Games, Ryuu would face his ultimate test as a warrior, fighting all manner of opponents, some worthy, and some not. Those that were and weren't would be entirely up to them. Ryuu took one more look at Somal, who nodded to him. Ryuu nodded back, an understanding formed with the two. They needed not say any other words, for all that needed to be said had already been said, and anything else would have been so inconsequential, it would only have ruined the moment. Ryuu stepped up to the glass tube.

Ryuu took one last inhale of breath, and with it his last inhale of anxiety, disappointment, trepidation, concern and resentment, and exhaled it out of his body, no longer needing such things. Now, it was time to have some fun.

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
"Wakey, wakey!" Kerin rolled over as such a high pitched voice pierced his ears. Well, it wasn't that high pitched. Just enough that Kerin wanted to roll back to sleep and make this all go away. Of course he knew what today was. He didn't want to know, but he did. "I've brought your gear for today!"

Raum spread out a set of clothes, looking like some kind of uniform that he had to wear. They were mainly black and slightly comfortable looking but nothing that Kerin would pick to wear in public. Now, he had to wear these clothes in front of millions of people.

"You do have some choices," Raum picked up two pairs of shoes; a pair of boots and a pair of sneakers. "Which one? Personally, I think the boots go better with your eyes." Kerin made a face and reluctantly took the boots. He was also offered gloves and a belt, which he also took. He made Kerin change in front of him but stopped him when he took of his shirt.

"What are these?" he pointed to the rocks hanginging from Kerin's neck. Without asking, he reached forward and rubbed the rocks between his fingers. "Is this...?"

"It's a gift," Kerin pulled the stones out of his guide's grip and stuffed it down his shirt. Raum smiled slyly back at him. He obviously knew what they were, you could see it in his eyes, but instead of commenting on them, ruffled up Kerin's hair. When Raum was satisfied with how he looked, he led the boy to the elevator and to his untimely doom or something.

"How... uh, where's Marisa?"

"You'll see her in the games. She won't be hard to miss," Raum said with a wink. Kerin wasn't sure if he was being rude or trying to tell him something, but he just shrugged and let his eyes fall to his feet. The elevator his the bottom floor and Raum led Kerin out to the car. His last meal was depressing, but at least he got everything he wanted. Pizza, steak and thankfully, a few glasses of, well, blood. As much as he despised to drink it like this, it would keep him okay for the next day or two, hopefully. When running around trying to stay alive, he wasn't sure how thirsty he was going to get.

When they had arrived, Kerin was chauffered this way and that until he was in some kind of underground room, Raum his only companion. He was nervous and shaking but really, he was only thinking about his family. Old and new. Quinn, Frederick, Axel, Nora, Dana, Manuel... and Marisa, Fang... maybe Bernkastel? What about Shiro?

"Are you ready?"

Kerin didn't answer, instead trying to stablise a fire in his hands, trying to stop himself from shaking. With Bernkastel on his side, was there much to worry about?

"Kerin?"

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
Years
Bernkastel Vermillia - Chapter 5 - Demon District

Dreams are always strange things. Some experts on the dream cycle say that every human dreams about ten different dreams within a single night of rest. How strange, is it that one does not remember most of these dreams? Dream recall doesn't come easy. But... Perhaps that is for a reason; some high power is disallowing the rememberance of these dreams because... Why? Because we will not like them? Because they teach us things that are wrong for us to know?

Sometimes I wish that I couldn't recall my dreams as vividly as a newborn memory. Dreaming, could be both a blessing, and a curse. Soft dreams that made one want to cry in joy... Or horrifying nightmares that took the form of disfigured Gods and severed limbs. No matter how much I couldn't express my emotions, I was still terrified of what my third eye saw when my physical eyes were shut. All I could see were bodies melting under acid rain, and dismembered heads rolling off of mountain cliffs.
My dreams were never soft.

They came as things that would make even Ryuu shriek. Even worse, the torment was not swift. It wasn't like shooting a bullet through someone's skull. These nightmares were that of someone being cut in half with a butterknife. It was torturous.

Why would a higher power give me such an unwanted skill? To tease me, or was it simply something that was already decided? If that was the case, and it was decided... Then that meant that there was no such thing as free will. And without a free will... What did we have?

~~~

I awoke within suffocating damp sheets, which only made me want to swallow oxygen more hungrily than I had been while 'at rest'. My entire body was shiny and sticky with sweat, and my palms bled a red ooze from when my fingernails had dug into the flesh. Silent tears raced down my cheeks one after another, as I tried to get out from bed. I wished I could cry out. Make a scream of agony for once and plea for the comfort of anyone. Even a servant would do. Just as I kicked my legs free of the burning blankets, two arms wrapped around my shoulders from behind, which only made me want to pass out from shock. I was pulled backwards, until I was laying against a sturdy male chest.

"You'll hurt yourself,"

I tilted my aching neck slightly, to look at a pair of crimson eyes that were cast down on me. If I could, I would have smiled in relief. Even though this was my tormentor, I took comfort in knowing that he at least had the kindness to comfort me quietly after six nightmares of relentless pain.
It was Zane, the Demon Servant of Fear, who was my only line to my emotions. I could only express emotions in my dreams, so he knew how I felt about everything. How I truely felt. And, he didn't bother me about it. He was the most understanding of the Demons, even though he was the one that delivered my nightmares. He was the one who moulded them within his palms, and placed inside my head. On particularly bad ones, I would wonder if he actually enjoyed how I squirmed.

After a few minutes of forced breathing, I leaned forward and crawled away from the Demon's body. He didn't respond, and simply stared at me. We never talked about the dreams. It was a silent agreement between us.
Besides, I had more serious things to worry about. Like the real nightmare I would be living inside for the next week or so.

I checked the time, and confirmed that I did have enough time to have a shower, before gathering up my clothing for the arena. As always, I went for the boots, rather than the shoes. I wasn't a runner. I nodded to the black-haired demon, before wandering into the bathroom and shutting the door.

When I came out fully dressed, Zane was gone, and in his place was Lucifier. He was staring out the window; looking down at the cars that lined the building to steal the participants away. He looked back at me, and all I could do was set my eyes against his. The Demon Servant of Destruction had a relaxed look to his features, yet his eyes stared at her with such an intensity that I was forced to look away like a child pulling their hand away from hot water. His chin lowered, and out of the corner of my vision, I saw him fix the sleeves of his jacket. They always seemed just a little bit too long for him, but he didn't complain about it. His ink-colored wings dragged across the ground as he approached me.

"Shall we go, Bernkastel?"

Within the car, I saw Lucifier scrunch his eyebrows in disgust on how the Gods relied on these vehicles for transportation. Call him old fashioned, but he prefered flying as the way of travel. I couldn't blame him. I loved flying as well. Too bad one couldn't do a whole lot of that in my district.
I ate in silence; picking things that would have the most nutrients. Sugar and fibre was important, but so were the calories I consumed. It was highly likely that I would burn all of these calories off within the next few hours inside the arena. So, it was better to have the needed calories than to get tired half-way through. If Lucifier had any objections, he certainly did not verbalize them.

~~~~~~~~

After the long ride by vehicle and the rather short trip by helicopter, I found myself closing the door to the room that was my last safe haven. Having done this twice before, I knew how this all worked, and nobody needed to instruct me. None of the guards had complained when Lucifier had trailed behind me into this room. They knew of my contract with him and the other demons. In fact, nearly everyone did. It wasn't any sort of secret.

I didn't waste any time with inspecting the room like I had when I was fourteen. Silently grasping my necklace with a gloved hand, I moved over to the tubing. Lucifier followed me, but did not join me inside. Instead, he watched me with those eyes that always seemed to question what I did, yet belonged to a body that would obey any command I gave him.
Then, he spoke. It was in latin, so it took me a moment to translate what he had said.

"The bark and the birds have ears and eyes, Bernkastel. Do not play a foolish card too soon."

"Lucifier," I said evenly. "I know."

"That you do... Alas, I worry about your intentions going into this..."

"I know what I am doing, Lucifier."

"Do you?"

I stopped short, and stared at him. The demon stared back. Before I could respond, the glass wall slid shut, and Lucifier disappeared in a puff of black smoke.

Did I know what I was doing?

I could only ponder this for a moment, because soon I felt myself rising. My view of the room vanished, and I was forced to stare at my expressionless face that reflected back at me. I looked above my head, and saw a patch of blue. The sky.

Abruptly, the tube stopped rising, and I stared back at my reflection in confusion. The tube had not broken away like it had the other years. She couldn't even see what was beyond the glass. It was like someone glued a black cover over it. But, I could still see the sky above me where the tube did not reach. I could hear birds, in particular.

My eyes went back to the glass when bright red words flickered on its surface. An arrow pointed to the left. "Please insert your left arm."

A circular hole fluttered into view on my left side, and I frowned. This was new. I leaned forward to look through the hole, but all I could see was darkness. Sighing, I complied with the message before the tube electrocuted me. The hole closed up slightly. I inhaled sharply when I found that my arm was secured in place. What was going on?

The words melted away, and a full-body projection appeared on the glass of Natruo. He was smirking. "Hello my fair participants!" So I wasn't the only one seeing this? That was comforting.

"Welcome to the eighth annual Population Games. As you have probably noticed, things are a little different this year."

That wasn't exactly comforting. Especially with my precious arm clasped to Gods-know-what.

Natruo went on with a happy smile, and behind his holographic self, two tubes appeared. This seemed to be a demonstration of some kind. And those seemed to be the tubes the participants were in at the moment.

"As we have had you done, your arm is currently outside the tube and clasped into place." An arm came out from each tube. Natruo moved over with a smirk, and a metal device came out of the ground between the two tubes. In the grasp of it, was a long pair of "handcuffs". Not the traditional metal ones, but the highly-developed energy wires. The chain itself was one long black energy wire, and at each end was a sturdy silver brace that would be fixed to the wrist....

My face visibly went pale, and I looked at my arm.

"You will be cuffed to another participant at random," Natruo practically sang; fixing the cuffs over each wrist. One of the actors began pulling and moving their arm around. "Don't waste your strength with trying to break free or disturb your partner. They won't feel it." Because the metal device was still clasping the center of the wire...

I felt something snap around my left wrist. It wasn't that heavy, but I definitely noticed it. This wasn't good. This wasn't good at all.

The tubes on the hologram went into the ground, to expose two stunned-looking actors. The tall female was an angel, and the other was a vampire, it seemed. Male. They were looking at each other, and then the cuffs that bound them together. Perhaps the only thankful thing about this situation, was that the chain was long. Somewhere around sixty inches, just by looking at it.

Natruo pushed his hands into the pockets of his jacket. "The chain and cuffs are unbreakable. Fire, water, pressure, electricity... Even direct explosions will not damage them."

"The only ways to unbind yourself, is to find one of the six keys scattered throughout the arena. Any of the keys will work on any cuff. One lucky person won't have to deal with any of this, though! Exactly one person will not be chained to another, due to the... Uneven amount of people." He snickered softly.

"However, be warned. You cannot just kill your partner to free yourself." He wandered back over to the actors, who were looking very much terrified. He brought out a knife, and went over to the male. He was now shaking, looking around for somwhere to escape. That was when Natruo grabbed him, and shoved the blade into his chest; straight through the heart. He made a gargling noise, and collapsed on the platform. The female angel began to cry softly and plead. "Once your partner's heartbeat stops, it will activate the mechanism on your cuff."

The angel's face paled, and before I could understand what had happened, she let out a terrible, blood-curling shriek. Exactly three silver spikes from the bottom of the brace, had snapped open from inside the cuff, straight through her pale wrist, and stuck out from the other end. She collapsed to her knees, and whimpered softly, and blood began draining from the wounds.

"If that doesn't kill you, the toxins within the mechanism certainly will. And if you still manage to avoid death, the bracelet will explode." The angel had collapsed completely; eyes wide and unblinking. Both were dead.

Natruo smiled happily. "There are three pairs within each section of the arena, with the goods at the center of where you start. Once you are released, you and your partner are free to roam and hunt down the other participants. Do not leave the platform until the counter hits zero, otherwise you'll go sky-high!" He snickered. "Good luck!~" And the hologram faded out.

My mind faded out as well. It took everything I had not to fall to my knees and just stop fighting everything. This was ridiculous. What if my partner was suicidal? Or hated me enough to kill themselves and make spikes go through my wrist?

I inhaled sharply as I heard the tubing beginning to slide down around me. I looked to my left, to see who was on the other side of the barrier that had blocked my view. Who was chained to me? Who shared the same fate as I?

It was startling to see Raike. The first reaction was surprise, and then... Relief. A smile threatened to tug my lips, but I managed to shake out my emotions with a slow nod of acknowledgment in his direction. Perhaps the only downside to this, was that Raike couldn't fly.

Legend

Kingslayer
Years

Daiki Ethered- Human District

Daiki felt the tube rise into the ceiling and watched as the peaceful room would soon be replaced by a chaotic colosseum. He wondered how the arena would be set up. Would it be a desert? No, probably not. Deserts were boring and more people would die from thirst instead of murder. A mountainous setting was plausible as was a forest or some sort (possibly a jungle) since the variety would give the games would give it some more entertainment value. It was also plausible there would be a multitude of environments as well. That would be the most likely option. That would be his choice after all.

Daiki stared at his reflection for a moment, witnessing the somber expression. The anxiety finally reached him, fearing for his demise. If only Perserias was here to reassure him. He shook his head, trying to rid himself of fear. He had to fake his confidence. "Fake it till you make it," as one of his poorer friends said. They weren't eloquent, but they had a point at least. The tube suddenly stopped and Daiki looked around in confusion. He could see the blue skies above him, figuring he was close to the top. So why the abrupt stop? Red words emerged on the surface of the tube with an arrow pointing to Daiki's left. It read: "Please insert your left arm."

Daiki sighed and complied with the order in lieu of any sort of punishment the Gamemakers would conceive. The tube walls wrapped around his arm and Daiki quickly realized his arm was locked in place. A couple of different thoughts emerged about why; tracking devices were near the top of the list. The words vanished and a full body projected of Natruo appeared in its place.

"Hello my fair participants! Welcome to the eighth annual Population Games. As you have probably noticed, things are a little different this year."

Interesting. They are throwing a new gimmick into this year's edition. I have no choice but to play along. At least for now.

Natruo continued on his little and behind him were two tubes, similar in design to the one Daiki was locked in. Whatever it was, Daiki didn't like the feel of the situation.

"As we have had you done, your arm is currently outside the tube and clasped into place." An arm came out from each tube. Natruo moved over to the tubes with a sly smirk, and a metal device came out of the ground between the two tubes. Daiki could see a long pair of "handcuffs". They weren't the ones he was familiar with, as they seemed to be far more advanced. The chain itself was one long black energy wire, and at each end was a sturdy silver brace that would be fixed to the wrist. It didn't take a genius to figure out what Natruo had planned. Daiki felt a smile stretch across his face. "Really? He said? That's the twist?"

"You will be cuffed to another participant at random," Natruo practically sang; fixing the cuffs over each wrist. One of the "victims" began struggling. "Don't waste your strength with trying to break free or disturb your partner. They won't feel it." The "victims" were released from the tubes and exposed to the area around them, looking around in confusion. Daiki observed that the handcuffs had a long wire between them. Good, he said to himself. I have some freedom then.

Natruo pushed his hands into the pockets of his jacket. "The chain and cuffs are unbreakable. Fire, water, pressure, electricity... Even direct explosions will not damage them."

Is there part of this that is supposed to surprise me?

"The only ways to unbind yourself, is to find one of the six keys scattered throughout the arena. Any of the keys will work on any cuff. One lucky person won't have to deal with any of this, though! Exactly one person will not be chained to another, due to the... Uneven amount of people." He snickered softly in a manner that made Daiki want to slap him. Such humor was disturbing.

Natruo rambled on: "However, be warned. You cannot just kill your partner to free yourself." He wandered back over to the actors, who were terrified. The demonstration got a bit more real. He brought out a knife, and went over to the male. He was now shaking, looking around for somewhere to escape. That was when Natruo grabbed him, and shoved the blade into his chest; straight through the heart. The female angel began to cry softly and plead. "Once your partner's heartbeat stops, it will activate the mechanism on your cuff." Exactly three silver spikes from the bottom of the brace, had snapped open from inside the cuff, straight through the woman's pale wrist, and stuck out from the other end. She collapsed to her knees, and whimpered softly, and blood began draining from the wounds.

"If that doesn't kill you, the toxins within the mechanism certainly will. And if you still manage to avoid death, the bracelet will explode." The angel had collapsed completely; eyes wide and unblinking. Both were dead.

So unnecessary. You'd think the God's could afford to make things that would work.

Natruo smiled happily. "There are three pairs within each section of the arena, with the goods at the center of where you start. Once you are released, you and your partner are free to roam and hunt down the other participants. Do not leave the platform until the counter hits zero, otherwise you'll go sky-high!" He chuckled a bit. "Good luck!~" And the hologram faded out.

Daiki was far from surprised, shocked or traumatized. In fact, he partially expected something like this. Even the games got repetitive after a while. They needed to change things up. The Bern Factor didn't help. She already won…what twice now? It is not behind reasonable doubt they invented this twist to kill her off. But that wash't important. She wasn't near the top of his list of people he needed to kill to win.

No, he had other plans. Most of his plans were designed to kill him .

The tube receded and Daiki immediately looked to his left to see who he was chained to. He figured it would be someone of a different race when he thought about it. After all, pairing two of the same race was counterproductive.

Oh. Lucky me.

It was Amelia. Beautiful, beautiful Amelia. At least that means he will get the girl in the end.

Daiki winked to her and gave her a reassuring nod that sent a single message: "Don't worry. I got this."

Last edited:

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
"Please insert your left arm." Words of red glimmered, pointing an arrow to the left of Ryuu. The demon looked at the whole, wondering what the purpose of it was, but didn't much think about it, as he inserted his arm. He wanted to get it all over with and go into the arena already, so he was willing to do one more task like this. It's not like it would lead to something horrifically awful, would it? Would it?

Ryuu placed his large arm inside, which was barely able to fit in the tight space. It then enclosed around him. Then, a projection of a familiar face, Natruo, the god he had fought earlier in his time here, was shown. He was smiling at Ryuu, before speaking. "Hello my fair participants!" He began. It appeared to be a transmitted projection of himself to not only Ryuu, but to everyone.

"Welcome to the eighth annual Population Games. As you have probably noticed, things are a little different this year."

Ryuu smirked. So this was apparently different. Ryuu rather liked that. For newcomers like himself, it didn't much matter. But for others who have already participated before, namely Bern, he hoped this provided even some measure of discomfort for them. Even the slightest possibility of such made Ryuu happier.

Natruo went on to explain the purpose of the tube and the hole, and where his arm was attached to, which turned out to be a handcuff of some sort. Ryuu was perplexed by this, but continued to listen. However, the longer he listened, the more he was starting to think that this wasn't going to be something he would like. As he showed a demonstration of how two people were tied up, and the impossibility of breaking it, any happiness on Ryuu's face was gone, and instead replaced by a mixture of lingering confusion, boiling anger, and hidden anxiety about who he was handcuffed to. When Natruo mentioned that one person was not tied to anyone, a small glimmer of hope was brought back to him. But Ryuu knew it wasn't him. He was clasped to someone. He didn't know who, but he tried to figure out the possibilities.

If it was Raike or Kerin, he could deal with it. They were strong and sturdy enough to get by without too much trouble. If it was Bern, he may very well purposefully 'harm' himself just so she could get a taste of her own medicine. But there were a few people Ryuu had absolutely no interest in pairing up with, namely angels and the others humans. A demon or a vampire he could probably deal with, or one of the other specific people he mentioned would do. Anyone less would not be good. At all. Ryuu was slowly coming to terms with his situation. He accepted that he would have to deal with another person. Heck, he even assumed that given Natruo's battle with him, he had garnered enough respect and liking to Ryuu that he would pair him up with someone he would like…right? Ryuu liked the sound of his own logic, and a slight bit of hope was instilled in him, as well as a smile. He would most likely be paired up with someone favorable. He had to think positively about it.

The tube began to slide down, and as it did, the color of Ryuu's face seemed to literally vanish for the first time he was here.

In one's life, you have the opportunity to meet countless individuals. Some, you take a liking to almost immediately. Others may have a slightly less exceptional first impression upon you, but recover later with a stronger impression in your following meetings, and the two of you may develop a great relationship as friends. There are also those that one simply sees in a neutral fashion, merely acting as faces, and are often forgettable, or unimportant in your life. Then there are those you simply cannot take a liking to, whether by initial meeting or the process of discovering an individual overtime. It is the cycle of life for individuals to meet people across all of these classes, and those also not mentioned. The quantity one would meet in each category depends on the person themselves. Some friendlier, social individuals will have an opportunity to meet with all kinds of folks. Others who are less social will meet not as many, but generally all or most criteria are met.

But there is one type of person that everyone meets. It is that person that, for an inexplicable reason, or one that is easily understandable, you hate with a burning passion. Your disdain for that person is beyond measure, and every time the individual enters your presence, your day is instantly ruined. You loathe that person's very name. If that person were to die horribly the following day, the only thing you would be sad about was that you didn't get a chance to watch, or participate.

To Ryuu, that person was Marisa, and Marisa was his partner. Words couldn't possibly describe the emotions simultaneously running through Ryuu's body, which is probably the reason he hadn't said anything yet. Instead, he merely looked down on the ground, cursing his 'luck', though he doubted the assignment of this was at all random.

"F***." He finally said out loud. "F***ing sh**. Why…why!? What did I do to deserve this!?" Ryuu dropped onto his knees and pounded his fists on the ground. There was only one consolation Ryuu could find the situation: When he found one of those keys, Marisa would die first.

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Kerin held his breath as the glass slid down and the floor below him started to rise. He turned to see Raum wave him off and mouth him a 'good luck' just before he disappeared below him. Kerin felt his heart hammering below his chest, which was, though he didn't know it, incredibly bad for him. The more nervous he was, the more his heart beated and the more energy he would use. It was here, in the small confines of this tube as the floor finally stopped and the sky teased him with a false freedom above, that Kerin weighed all his options. His options? Blank. This was the first time he had ever been so frightened in his life, the only time in comparsion was his last night as a human.

He had been so sure before that he could make it through this. He could rebel and fight and protect what meant the most to him but now, the time it seemed most important to be strong, he felt nothing.

"Please insert your left arm," a voice said to him. Kerin looked to his left as a hole on his left hand side. The hole was dark and he wasn't sure what was on the other side, but he automatically obeyed. His arm was fastened and the hole grew smaller, stopping just so it was tight on his arm. He wasn't sure if this was normal or if it meant anything at all, but it didn't feel good. He took a deep breath and tried to relax.

Remember, Marisa. Your sister is out there somewhere, probably as scared as you are.

Don't mess this up.

Not like Quinn.

A image was projected in front of him on the glass. He immediately recognised the God; it was Natruo. How did he get behind the glass? Was there a TV there?

"Hello my fair participants! Welcome to the eighth annual Population Games. As you have probably noticed, things are a little different this year."

Two other projections appeared; tubes, similar to what Kerin was standing in, with two arms poking out of each.

"As we have had you done, your arm is currently outside the tube and clasped into place," Natruo began to explain, pulling a pair of handcuffs off a podium which had suddenly appeared next to him. "You will be cuffed to another participant at random. Don't waste your strength with trying to break free or disturb your partner. They won't feel it."

He cuffed the two arms together and soon after, Kerin felt something cold and metal clasp around his own wrist. Now he had something on both his wrists, realising that he still had his bracelet on his other arm. The tubes lowered on the projection, revealing two people whom he did not recognise. Were they players? They looked very surprised at the situation they were in.

"The chain and cuffs are unbreakable. Fire, water, pressure, electricity... Even direct explosions will not damage them. The only ways to unbind yourself, is to find one of the six keys scattered throughout the arena. Any of the keys will work on any cuff. One lucky person won't have to deal with any of this, though! Exactly one person will not be chained to another, due to the... Uneven amount of people," Natruo gave a short laugh.

Wait... chained? That reminded Kerin of something...

"I-I only see seven other people in the arena with me... In front of a clock tower... I-I see... Two people I've never seen before... Two adults... Shiro and Shizuka...And Ryuu."

"R-ryuu... I'm chained to Ryuu."

Kerin watched the rest of the annoucement in horror as he basically murdered the two people chained to each other. Kerin wasn't thinking straight though. This meant, if Marisa's vision was true, that she was chained to the most psychopathic and deranged thing among them.

Though, was this a bad thing? It only meant that Marisa would be safe. He couldn't think of Ryuu ever losing to anybody. And Marisa dying meant Ryuu would die too.

"Good luck!"

The tube slid down and Kerin quickly looked to see who he had been chained to. It was... Shiro? Kerin gave her a forced smile though he wished she was a little... less dazy. Bloodthirsty Shiro might be a little more helpful than 'About-to-fall-asleep' Shiro. Still, she was so mysterious. Kerin wanted to help her, sure, but he wanted to save Marisa more.

Another thought popped into his head. The clocktower, Marisa said she had seen Shiro but not Kerin. Did that mean he had managed to unchain each other?

Kerin breathed deeply and look straight ahead into the arena, catching glimpses of other contenders. There were a few things he had to do; find Marisa, find Bernkastel, stop Ryuu from finding a key and find the clocktower.

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
Years
Shiro (Daxity) - Chapter 5 - Vampire District

My breath was shallow; it was strained. It felt like I was inhaling through a small medical tube. Normally, they had me hooked to it for 'relaxation', but right now, I was definitely not relaxed. I was panicking. The'elevator' into the arena was suffocating. It trapped carbon dioxide every time I inhaled oxygen. That is what it felt like. I imagined how the air was becoming heavy with each breath I took; I was sucking out what oxygen was in the claustrophobic space.

A whimpering plead for air was caught it my throat when I felt the tube stop its movement upwards. My hands immediately pushed on the cold sheen of metal encasing me and I looked up towards the blue sky above. I gulped down air, but it still wasn't enough. A headache pounded my brain like a mini boxer.

'It will be okay Shiro,' I reassured myself. 'Soon this will open and you'll have as much space as you want.'

I stumbled back when the wall began blinking colors. At first I thought I was having another episode, but I was relieved to find that it was instruction. I squinted at the words, and slowly obeyed to what they had to say. Immediately, I let out a shriek when the wall clamped down on my right forearm. Blood rushed to my ears and I could hear the liquid hammering up to my brain as I kicked the wall and pulled. I didn't stop until I realized that something was playing on the wall where the text had appeared. I saw a man…What was his name again? He definitely had a name, but I couldn't remember it. Wasn't he someone important?

Well, that important person was talking to me; droning on and on in a language I could barely understand. He spoke English, and I knew English… But it just didn't stick. It went through one ear, and out the other. Only bits and pieces registered. I managed to get an understanding of the situation through the visuals that were given. I was being chained to someone, and if they died, I died. The chain was strong. What else?

I abruptly scrambled to my feet when I saw that the tube's walls were lowering into the ground. Bit by bit, I could see the arena beforeme in all degrees. However, my eyes lingered over to where I felt a lightmovement on my right wrist. I trailed my eyes down to the chain, up the link,and to the person I was looking at was Kerin.

I had a series of mixed reactions to seeing him. At first Iwas thankful to see another vampire, and someone I kind of understood. My nextreaction was confusion, as to why the Gamemaster would place two vampirestogether. My final reaction was to quickly look away in sudden fear. He was stronger than me, right? And from what I could tell, he didn't particularly like me. I couldn't understand why that was, however. Did I do something that would make him angry? I couldn't remember anything of that significance…

So, instead of facing him, I stared down at the shoes on my feet. I couldn't remember changing into them… Or even into these clothes. Perhaps someone had helped me… Did I thank them? I didn't know…

My eyes raised up slightly as a voice overhead spoke down on us. Or at least, I hoped I wasn't the only one who could hear them. The voice was a man's voice, and it came from the sky.

'God?' My mind asked. But then I remembered something important… That there was no real God. If there was a God above us all, then I didn't want anything to do with him.

I took in my surroundings with a sense of unease as the voice counted down. It sounded similar to the voice that had been speaking to me earlier. Didn't the name begin with an 'N'?

Beneath my feet was the same metal plate of the tube, but that didn't account for the arena itself. Grains of brown rice spilled onto the sheen of silver. It was some kind of earth that I had never seen before. Slowly, I knelt down as the voice droned on at a decreasing rate from forty-five. My fingers slowly caught a handful of this strange substance, and I ran it between my fingers. It was like, and it didn't stain my hands like the dirt of my home would. It was almost soft, and it slipped easily out of my outstretched hands. It was hot, too. I had never felt so warm so quickly because of an environment… This sort of sensation only occurred when my flesh was broken, and blood seeped out from my veins. The disk of shining light hung overhead, and seemed to glare down at me mockingly.

I was suddenly thankful that most of the myths concerning vampires were not true.

This material stretched out far across my vision, though it seemed to end off in the west and south… Trees. I could make out trees if I squinted in that direction.

My legs unbent from the disk, and I straightened out again as the voice rang out a twenty. There were others in this strange land with me.Two of them, I had met only yesterday. Not in person, but I had seen them on a television screen as the interviews played on. The other pair… I recognized.

I recognized them so deeply that a shiver when down my spine at the sight of them. Why were they here? I nearly collapsed, but I found strength in grasping the chain connecting myself to Kerin. My knees felt like buckling, but I knew I would only make Kerin mad if I wasn't ready to move when the cannon sounded.

Yet, he had to be feeling the same kind of emotions as me, right? After all, this was a very unkind surprise to see these two.

The one staring back at me was the same man that had been with me when I was chosen as a participant. It was a hazy memory, but it wasthere.

The first one, staring back at me, was the male Vampire Leader of my district. Calzus Zunigi

The second one, staring at Kerin, was the female Human Leader of his former district. Statia Maina.

(Skymin@ You are in the desert section of the arena.

Pairings:
Kerin - Shiro
Calzus (V-Leader) - Statia (H-Leader)
Scarlet - Cyro)

Bernkastel Vermillia - Chapter 5 - Demon District

If I could smile painlessly, I would have. Luck seemed to be on my side this year as well. Raike was perhaps the best participant I could have been chained to. He seemed to be the most level-headed of all the contestants; he was not sharing any miserable past nor was he emotionally-driven… Maybe not calm, but he certainly wasn't affected by his environment as much as the others. Yes, he was human and yes, that meant I was tied to the ground like a wingless bird, but I was still thankful for this setup. He was strong by himself most obviously, but he also had Mammon. I knew that.

I nodded slowly in his direction, before turning my attention to who else was joining us in this section of the arena. My eyes immediately spotted out a familiar face. Fang. He saw me as well, and grinned nervously. In reaction, I shook my head and glanced down at my chains. His grin disappeared.

'No,' I mouthed. I hoped he would understand what I meant by that. I didn't want him tagging along with me. Especially with Shizuka attached to his wrist. It would be best if we separated, and joined together once most of the participants were dead.

The other pair was surprising to see; Pewita and Nokoto. This was a really bad combination, even for Natruo. What had he been thinking? If he wanted to kill me, he would have set Ryuu and the other strong males in my section.

Was Marisa really attached to Ryuu? Was that why he wasn't here, and somewhere else?

I then took my time with checking out what 'section' I was actually in. It was actually a rather simple environment…. It was very similar in fashion to the arena in my first year. The grass was wild, though not too tall that it was a hindrance to walk within. The area was seemingly cut in a circular fashion, with trees surrounding the outer borders. I knew for a fact that this wasn't everything… There was more to this arena just beyond those trees.

But I was not going to explore each section. It would take too much time, and I did not have all the time in the world.

I heard Natruo's voice count down from twenty. I turned to Raike, and began speaking to him. The other pairings directly across from us (think of a triangle) would not be able to hear me.

"Focus on the pile at the center, Raike." I nodded towards the stash. It was customary for the Population Games to start with a pile of supplies out for the picking. A participant could take as much as they could carry, so long as they didn't die trying to do so.

"There are weapons, food, and water. Supplies such as rope will not be needed as much, but… Take what you can. Don't bother with the yellow bags. And the grey ones? Open them before you take them. A few look abit suspicious. Maybe rocks, or a timed explosive."

She slowly got into a stance; ready to run forward. "Fang will not bother us, and he'll probably stop Shizuka from getting in our way.That is what I am hoping. Pewita is the danger in this current situation… Are you getting this? We'll be going east. Check the sun if you must. We're not staying more than a minute."

That was the longest time I had ever talked for since my contract. Hopefully I didnot overwhelm Raike…

(SkyisUmbreon@ You are in the grasslands section of the arena.

Pairings:
Raike - Bernkastel
Fang - Shizuka
Pewita - Nokoto)

Last edited:
Back