• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Wicked Luck?

Humble Hook

Because the Hook brings you back ~
Years
  • Age 30
  • PA
  • Seen Aug 16, 2016
This happened on my second playthrough of Gold.

I was on my way to Mr. Pokemon's house, partaking in a few wild battles to level up my Totodile, when a battle is triggered. Now, anytime i play a pokemon game, it's a must for me to catch a Pidgey, or the most similar flying type. So, lo and behold, a Pidgey shows up, but this one is different, it's all sparkly! It was a shiny Pidgey! I smack him around a bit, till he's in the red, and i dive into my bag. I look around for some Pokeballs to throw, but i have none. The game decides to throw me one of my favorite pokemon in Shiny greatness before i am even able to receive pokeballs.

This is the ONLY shiny i have ever seen.
This about sums up my reaction at the time, and now:
jontron_nightshade_reaction_gif_by_metroid0070-d5gmyks.gif

Have any of you had similar luck brought on by the games design?

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
Lol haha I know themfeeling man ! gen 1 and 2 was certainlynbased on luck cause you cannot view the attacks accuracy amd move power.

Splash

But nothing happened.
Years
Lol haha I know themfeeling man ! gen 1 and 2 was certainlynbased on luck cause you cannot view the attacks accuracy amd move power.

In gen I yes you wont see it but I know for a fact that you can in Gen II
Press start>>Pokemon>>*choose any pokemon*>>then press "MOVE"

That made me remember how i thought that move was actually the command to switch pokemons and when I pressed the command it showed me a screen which was new to my eyes.. *Nostalgia Strikes*

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
I killed one by my fault. dunno there were so rare :D
just cried after reading on internet

Years
Not quite the same situation, but the very first shiny that I found in Gold was a low levelled Teddiursa, and the rest of my team was in the 50s at least. I sent out my weakest Pokemon to use its weakest attack against it, and it still ended up being a one-hit KO. Of course, I just shrugged it off at the time since I had no idea how rare shinies were (heck, I'd just caught that red Gyarados), but that ended up being the only wild shiny I've ever found in that game.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
I remember I was constantly stuck (literally) in the Whirl Islands and deep inside Mt. Mortar. Then, (don't know why) I decided I wanted to catch a Marill in Mt. Mortar (not knowing they were INCREDIBLY rare). After literally 2 or 3 days or so, searching day and night as a 10-year old kid, I FINALLY found tat Marill, but then my Gameboy Color kinda ''broke'' at that moment... .___. I also accidentally locked myself into the Elite Four (to the point you can't escape), eventhough I wasn't even ready to challenge them :P

Oh yeah, I also found a Shiny Rattata soon AFTER that, because my Gameboy Color broke I borrowed a Gameboy Classic from a friend, but I couldn't see the colours of the Shiny Rattata because... Gameboy Classic obviously had NO colour... (I caught it anyway)

On the other hand though, I did have some luck and managed to catch my very first Shiny, a Pidgey. I didn't even know what a shiny Pokemon was at the time, but I caught it because I thought the sparkle-thingies were funny and mysterious at the time. My friend was sitting next to me and said: ''well when it evolves it won't stay that way (I noticed the colours were different)" but, it did, because it was a shiny :D Aaaand many shinies followed after that single Pidgey ^_^

Elements1

Meh
Years
Same thing happened to me, started off, a wild Rattata appeared and lo and behold it was shiny. But no pokeballs! :( :( :(

Humble Hook

Because the Hook brings you back ~
Years
  • Age 30
  • PA
  • Seen Aug 16, 2016
I also accidentally locked myself into the Elite Four (to the point you can't escape), eventhough I wasn't even ready to challenge them :P

Same predicament. And nowadays if i load up an old game and im in the middle of elite four, i turn the game off as i don't want to deal with the fighting at the moment. I dont want to waste time purposely losing.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
I caught a Shiny Tentacool, named it SHINE and taught it Icy Wind in Gold. I managed to save it by putting it in a Stadium 2 box just before my Gold's save battery died. I got the battery replaced and went to withdraw it. Nope, I need to catch 150 Pokemon to get it out. Okay, I'll set up a three way PokeDex completion with my Gold, Silver and Crystal games. Silver erased its save and I later found out it has a bad motherboard. It took almost ten Dex Pokemon with it. Gold's battery was defective and died shortly after I got it back taking another five or so Pokemon with it. Crystal is the only one still working with 136 caught. Knowing my luck, it'll die right after I get 149 Pokemon. If I ever get SHINE back, I'm deleting Icy Wind and putting it in a different Stadium 2 box so I can get it back in Red, Blue or Yellow. You know, the games without the insane 150 Pokemon caught requirement.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 8, 2015
There is apparently the same chance of the Pokemon that appears in the catching tutorial being shiny. Imagine the level of suck that would be, especially since you were one Pokemon away from being able to start catching things yourself!

Years
Wow, that's terrible. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you! I probably would've thrown my console across the room in anger, haha. D: Unfortunately, I had something similar happen to me in other generations, and it wasn't pleasant. Had a shiny appeared when I first played through Silver, I wouldn't have known of their rarity, and probably ran away like I normally do. Thankfully, though, I don't think I ever encountered a shiny in the old-school games.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Yeah, something similar happened to me! I found a shiny Shellder in Crystal, but I wasn't able to catch it because the box was full and the game didn't automatically switch for you back then. Disappointed since it was the second shiny I ever saw, but not super disappointed because even if I had caught it the file is corrupted now. Oh well!

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I never encountered a shiny in Gen 2, whatsoever, except the Red Gyarados. I would say that everyone in here who did encounter a shiny were very very lucky, indeed. But, if they had no pokeballs, then... it's totally the opposite.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2016
I've only ever encountered two shinys before, both in gold. A bellsprout and caterpie.
Fortunately the caterpie I found was after returning from Mr Pokemon's house and I'd just bought poke balls before heading back in the direction of the first gym town. I guess I got lucky!

JDJ

Vulpix Breeder, Shiny Hunter
Years
  • Age 31
  • NH
  • Seen Nov 19, 2015
I can remember being about 7 or 8 and getting into a battle in the grass right before National Park in my Gold Version. I saw a purple drowzee and was so wierded out by it that I caught it and had my first shiny, without even knowing they existed. Later, in the same route I found a Shiny Yanma that I wasn't able to capture (it busted out of my fastball and fled). Looking back on it, that is so extremely rare seeing as how regular yanma only has a 1% chance to show up. But all I'm really getting at here is that a few weeks ago I went on a vacation to see my old roomate in florida. I brought my 3ds and DS lite, and while at my friends house, I decided to start a new HeartGold seeing as how I had transferred everything of value up to Black 2. I picked Chikorita, went to Mr. Pokemon's house, got the Togepi egg, beat my rival, delivered the egg, and once again left New Bark Town with 5 pokeballs from the nice Professors Aide or from The Female protagonist, I can't remember which. In any case, she made me watch her catch a pokemon, and after the needless tutorial I was finally ready to jump in and play. I started explaining to my friend how I always use pidgey and that this time, I was gonna catch a Spearow instead. First encounter after recieving pokeballs: Shiny Pidgey. Captured with ease. Welp, guess no Spearow then.

Back