• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Sep 14, 2012
How do I figure out how many Ev's my pokemon have, I know what EVs are but I just can't seem to figure out how many I have.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
How do I figure out how many Ev's my pokemon have, I know what EVs are but I just can't seem to figure out how many I have.

Unless you use an AR or Pokesav, you can't find out yourself unfortunately. You have to start from scratch with a Pokemon (or use EV-reducing berries down to 0) and then count from there.

CloneCharizard

Founder of PokéStation
Years
PokeStation runs a fake Wi-Fi event site for people who couldn't attend the actual events. The Pokemon they give out are based on the number of votes for the specified event and are replicas of Pokemon given away at the events. It's up to you to decide if this is a hack or not--the site functions similarly to the way official events run (and distribute official-looking Pokemon), but isn't official. However, they make and transmit them the same way the events do, so there's really no difference except who is giving them out.

It's a nice idea for players who live in areas without events (since their Wi-Fi is global), but it gets out of hand because you can get infinite of any Pokemon they are currently giving out on one cartridge. But then again, what's stopping you from bringing more than one cart to an actual event?

However, it's generally good form to avoid redistributing / trading the Pokemon. PokeStation was made to help players obtain events they couldn't get normally, not give you bargaining chips for other valued Pokemon. You are intended to keep what you get for yourself--not depreciate the value of everyone else's hard-earned event Pokemon. Plus, the added kind-of controversy about it should be avoided too. So yeah, keep them for yourself, train them, battle with them, breed them, but don't trade them.
The events we distribute are recieved from the official events. We extract the .pkm after recieving the Wonder Card & upload them to our servers. Our Event Database is 100% legit events only, we don't upload any which are not legit.

We also host the official .pgf (.pcd & .pgt for DP/Pt/HG/SS) files for the Wonder Cards.

I do hope this clears up the discusion of whether our events are legit or not. :)

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I want a really good flying type Pokemon in my party, which in Black & White is the best one to have? and where can I find it?

Early on you can get Pidove @ Route 3, but from what I've heard it doesn't carry through that well in-game. Woobat can be okay @ first cave you'll see, but considering most of Plasma has dark types, probably not useful for you. Sigilyph @ Desert Resort, same sort of issue as Woobat really but Magic Guard can be really useful. :x Archen is apparently useful and found in Route 4 @ the Desert Resort in that tower there, so somewhat early on. Next flying type you'll find is Ducklett which can be useful for the gym leader around there (Driftveil) but otherwise doesn't really prove an advantage overall. Finally you have Rufflet's line and Vullaby's line, both pretty good imo and found in Route 10, so really late in the game. And then there's the flying genies which are found around Unova after the 8th gym so you're probably not going to go with them. Either way, merging to Quick Questions for more thoughts which is where this belongs next time.

Years
  • Seen Dec 5, 2021

Early on you can get Pidove @ Route 3, but from what I've heard it doesn't carry through that well in-game. Woobat can be okay @ first cave you'll see, but considering most of Plasma has dark types, probably not useful for you. Sigilyph @ Desert Resort, same sort of issue as Woobat really but Magic Guard can be really useful. :x Archen is apparently useful and found in Route 4 @ the Desert Resort in that tower there, so somewhat early on. Next flying type you'll find is Ducklett which can be useful for the gym leader around there (Driftveil) but otherwise doesn't really prove an advantage overall. Finally you have Rufflet's line and Vullaby's line, both pretty good imo and found in Route 10, so really late in the game. And then there's the flying genies which are found around Unova after the 8th gym so you're probably not going to go with them. Either way, merging to Quick Questions for more thoughts which is where this belongs next time.

I ended up using my Pidove (which eventually became Unfezant) through the entire game from the start. Worked fine for me. As for Archen, I got Tirtouga instead :D

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
Hello, on the front of my white game that I bought at gamstop myself has the letters TWL-IRAO-USA, and I just bought another online that has the letters NTR-IRAE-USA, why is the lettering different??

Simmy93

Aspiring Emulator
Years
Hello, on the front of my white game that I bought at gamstop myself has the letters TWL-IRAO-USA, and I just bought another online that has the letters NTR-IRAE-USA, why is the lettering different??

Because each one has different letters. It's like a serial number. The only bit that matters is 'USA' meaning it's from the United States. Like 'JPN' is Japan and 'EUR' is Europe.

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
I am having trouble with the Nacrene City gym, one book says to go two backwards one to the left two forward one to the right then one backwards...

but i cannot do that, I cannot go to the one to the right, I run into something, I am totally stuck and I cannot get any further in Pokemon Black

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I am having trouble with the Nacrene City gym, one book says to go two backwards one to the left two forward one to the right then one backwards...

but i cannot do that, I cannot go to the one to the right, I run into something, I am totally stuck and I cannot get any further in Pokemon Black

Oh that's easy - go to the middle bookshelf and talk to the girl (it has awkward wording indeed), she's your last challenge. :)

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
Because each one has different letters. It's like a serial number. The only bit that matters is 'USA' meaning it's from the United States. Like 'JPN' is Japan and 'EUR' is Europe.

Yes, but it kinda makes no sense, I have 2 games from Japan, both have the TWL at the beginning, so does my US black version?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yes, but it kinda makes no sense, I have 2 games from Japan, both have the TWL at the beginning, so does my US black version?

TWL means for the DSi and above (aka region-locked), while NTR means for the original Nintendo DS (aka not-region locked).

In other words you can play the one you brought online on any version of the DS (either Japanese etc).

lol didn't see this before :x

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years

TWL means for the DSi and above (aka region-locked), while NTR means for the original Nintendo DS (aka not-region locked).

In other words you can play the one you brought online on any version of the DS (either Japanese etc).

lol didn't see this before :x

Sorry Forever, but I play the TWL on my regular ds, not a dsi, are you sure it isn't the other way around??
EDIT: Just wanting to make sure!!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Sorry Forever, but I play the TWL on my regular ds, not a dsi, are you sure it isn't the other way around??
EDIT: Just wanting to make sure!!

Region-locking only applies if you're playing a DSi or above, so yes although B/W are primarily made for that system (aka why they have TWL) they can play in a normal DS no matter whether they're Japanese or English.

Not entirely sure why your other version would have NTR though. :x Actually, all versions are meant to be TWL so it seems you have a fake..

In other words as long as you continue playing your normal DS none of this matters - however if you go up to DSi you won't be able to play the Japanese versions on it.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years

Region-locking only applies if you're playing a DSi or above, so yes although B/W are primarily made for that system (aka why they have TWL) they can play in a normal DS no matter whether they're Japanese or English.

Not entirely sure why your other version would have NTR though. :x Actually, all versions are meant to be TWL so it seems you have a fake..

In other words as long as you continue playing your normal DS none of this matters - however if you go up to DSi you won't be able to play the Japanese versions on it.

Sorry again Forever, so the NTR that I bought online is or will be a fake??
I haven't gotten it yet, so...
I bought it and then read the letters on it an thought it was a fake right off, didn't think to look before I bought!!

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
The NTR on the back of the card is the product ID for the game case. The TWL Nica is talking about is on the front of the game card near the bottom. I don't think there are fakes of these games yet.

he NTR I am speaking of is on the front, and since the game is coming from China, I am starting to wonder, but do thank all who responded!!

Thunderpunch

Pokemon Master
Years
how to back up my game?

Hi, I've been playing pokemon since silver and have thousands of hours of work on my pearl file. I want to migrate everything to white but I'm starting to worry, what if something happens to my game at some point and it stops working, I would lose years of work. So I started googling how to back up a pokemon white (or pearl) file onto your PC. Several sites said I needed a "flash cart" and some toolkits that you can download, but the whole thing seems extremely complicated.

Is there a way to back up my pokemon game onto my computer, and restore it again if anything happened to my game? I have the retail version of pearl and am going to buy white this weekend. I don't want ROMs (actually I don't really know what ROMs are to be honest), I'm talking only about the retail cartridges (not emulators), I don't want to cheat in ANY way or edit my game, I just want to back it up. Please help, I am good with computers but know very little about the DS. I didn't know what a flash cart was until I googled it today. I don't want to spend more than $50 on accessories for this. I do already have a Micro SD card. Is there a safe, easy, reliable way to just back up my stuff and potentially restore it later?

Thanks alot, I did a search on the forum but didn't find a thread looking for the same thing.

Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2016
I was wondering if it was against the rules to ask about RNG'ing, if not, would anyone know where I could find a guide that actually works? I would love to try RNG'ing for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back