• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Game Length

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Pokémon games tend to be of about medium length, taking an average player about 20 hours to play through it at a normal pace. Do you like the length the games have? Would you like them to be longer or shorter? If shorter, what would you want them to take out so the games could be completed faster? If longer, what would you add to make it longer?

I would love for more lengthy side quests to be added into the games. I feel like it's always beat the gyms, fight Team <insert name>, beat the Elite 4, then move on to post-game material. I'd love more side quests spread throughout the main story arc to extend the length of the game and give me more to do.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Pokemon games usually take 40-50 hours for a normal run plus the sidequests, I dunno how you got 20-30. And I'm fine with it for now, considering how I have 300 hours racked up on B2 with minimal online trading and battling.

Years
For sure, I want more to do between gyms (storyline or not story related doesn't matter, hopefully both)
and while I already find there's more to do post game, maybe more wouldn't hurt. Having the story continue after the E4 is something I've been hearing people talk about a lot recently, and I'd love that to happen.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Pokemon games usually take 40-50 hours for a normal run plus the sidequests, I dunno how you got 20-30. And I'm fine with it for now, considering how I have 300 hours racked up on B2 with minimal online trading and battling.

Honestly I find 40-50 to be a large overshoot. Unless you're spending A LOT of time grinding, it honestly takes like 20-30 hours to complete the main story line of the Pokémon games (Which is all I'm referring to). Sidequests included it would certainly take longer than that, but I'd love to see the actual storyline of the game be extended and more involved than it is currently.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Honestly I find 40-50 to be a large overshoot. Unless you're spending A LOT of time grinding, it honestly takes like 20-30 hours to complete the main story line of the Pokémon games (Which is all I'm referring to). Sidequests included it would certainly take longer than that, but I'd love to see the actual storyline of the game be extended and more involved than it is currently.

Well, it depends on the player's gameplay. Yeah, it'd probably take about 2-5 days to complete the main story line, with another day or so to complete the post game content. But yeah, I'd like the actual story line to be extended myself.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Oh then yeah, storyline alone should be 50, without grinding. I feel however that unless a major change comes, the gym and evil team balance will never allow for such a lengthy game.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
I think it's unfair to say that side quests shouldn't count toward this hypothetical 'exportable game play length', seeing as adding length and depth to an otherwise very simplistic game is what they're there for.

Also, 50 hours without grinding? That's what Pokémon is, is it not? You expect them to have 50 hours of nothing but scrolling text, 50 second trainer battles, and walking short distances from town to town.

I think people underestimate how much time 50 hours actually amounts to. 50 hours out of any game is excellent, expecially a game such as this

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I think it's unfair to say that side quests shouldn't count toward this hypothetical 'exportable game play length', seeing as adding length and depth to an otherwise very simplistic game is what they're there for.

Also, 50 hours without grinding? That's what Pokémon is, is it not? You expect them to have 50 hours of nothing but scrolling text, 50 second trainer battles, and walking short distances from town to town.

I think people underestimate how much time 50 hours actually amounts to. 50 hours out of any game is excellent, expecially a game such as this

I agree with that statement, but I'm not saying that 50 hours overall for the game total is an undershoot, I just mean to complete the main story line. For an average player playing at a normal pace grinding an average amount, from my experience it doesn't take anyone that long to play through the main story line of the game (gyms, evil team, and E4). I would just like to see that story line extended further to get more out of the game, whether it be be more storytelling or side quests that are actually able to completed during the main run-through of the game.

Sirfetch’d

I would love for the main storyline length to be extended a bit. I tend to complete my games pretty quickly because I avoid all sidequest until postgame, but still complete them. It usually takes me about 3 days to playthrough most of the games.

Years
The longer the game, the better imo. I don't like games that I can complete in a couple of hours, as I don't feel like I have got my moneys worth.

Anything that the developers can do to prolong the life of the game is good in my eyes, including more side quests, added features and so on!​

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years

The longer the game, the better imo. I don't like games that I can complete in a couple of hours, as I don't feel like I have got my moneys worth.

Anything that the developers can do to prolong the life of the game is good in my eyes, including more side quests, added features and so on!
This is how I feel. If it take only a day or two it wasn't worth the 40 dollars (thankfully I haven't had such an experience thus far). Hopefully they can make the region bigger, and have quests, only that they're connected to the plot such as in Sinnoh when we had to travel to the lakes.

Munchlax11

Munch?
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 15, 2014
walking short distances from town to town.
Maybe they could make the routes longer? Just an idea. I think routes should be more than just connectors to cities. Sure there are wild pokemon and trainers along the way, but maybe they could add a little more to the routes? I'm not sure how, but routes need to be a little more significant than they have been in the past. If they added more to the routes the game time would increase.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'd want a long story but it has to be awesome. Black and White was somewhat long and I loved it whereas b2w2's was longish and I just didn't feel as motivated for it :( So long but it has to be as amazing as BW!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
You got a point there, it has to be good, if not it'll just feel like it's dragging. Please let there be an amazing story like EPtBW.

Hopefully I won't have to let it drag on purpose for a week. I much perfer it's that long on it's own.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Maybe they could make the routes longer? Just an idea. I think routes should be more than just connectors to cities. Sure there are wild pokemon and trainers along the way, but maybe they could add a little more to the routes? I'm not sure how, but routes need to be a little more significant than they have been in the past. If they added more to the routes the game time would increase.
If we take routes into account, like I said in the technology thread, we should have more paved routes with giant playground environments when you go off the beaten path. Routes 4 and 23 would be prime examples of that, and perhaps bigger versions of Undella Cave.

Years
If the fifth generation is anything to go by (and I like to think that it is), then I think we can expect the main game of X/Y to be reasonably long. We know there's going to be an enemy team, we know there's going to be 8 gyms and a League (not that it's been confirmed, but... well, why wouldn't there be?). The only thing I worry about is the postgame, if I'm honest. In the initial games of a generation- since Generation 3- the gameplay after the League just comes to a disappointing halt. RBY set the bar, GSC blew that outta the water, and then RS.. Sadface. Just a battle Tower, no Tohjo. I know, I know, it was a lot to expect, but still.
Same with Diamond and Pearl- although at least there was a BIT more to the Battle Tower, and the Survival area, etc.
Same with BW- while there were a good few areas to explore afterwards, it just didn't feel all that special. Whereas B2W2...
Well, there just seems to be so much awesomeness that it was great. Problem is, I don't think they'll get away with sticking the World Tournament in X/Y, so I'm finding it hard to think of what they COULD include to make the postgame decent. Because of this, I'm going to try to not expect too much, and just see how it goes.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
I'd like them to add something like alternate optional Routes and towns/cities away from the main paths, which would have other sidequests and different things to collect, such as Pokemon that only show up in that area, or exclusive outfits (provided customizable trainers actually becomes a feature).

As for the postgame stuff, I'd like there to be a lot of it. Gold and Silver added Kanto, a whole region to explore, almost effectively doubling the gameplay. After those, there hasn't been much in the postgame department, so I'm not expecting much.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
Sidequests! I would love more sidequests. I loved W2 precisely because it took so long to complete. More time of actual gameplay where you aren't just grinding and training for pokedex and boredom would be nice, as a sidequest gives you goals. Incorporating a wifi even would be cool, where you could connect to wifi and a specific person's sidequest would change depending on the event, and give you items for it etc.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I'd want a long story but it has to be awesome. Black and White was somewhat long and I loved it whereas b2w2's was longish and I just didn't feel as motivated for it :( So long but it has to be as amazing as BW!

That's part of what I'm hoping what will happen for Gen 6. A story that is captivating (which as much as Unova wasn't my favorite, both BW and B2W2 had good stories), with the a length longer than those two. I think part of it is that there was only usually around 3 BIG interactions with the evil teams (Like GSC was the well, Mahogany, and the Radio Tower), whereas there could easily be some more events along the way that could enhance the story and make it longer.

Back