• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Least popular type

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
I think Fire is the most popular type by far...

and even though poison and bug are among my favorite types...I'm sure they are also pretty unpoplar...

Tweak

hmm i thought poison types weren't as popular and fire types were the most popular. but many pokemon are mixed between two types so its hard to tell.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
poison and grass types are very unpopular... bug types got heracross, scizor, ninjask and shedinja as key seller so they cannot be an "unpopular" pick... bug types are very powerful! Grass types got too much elemental disadvantages to be commonly used, as poison also suffer that same faith, with very little poison types having good enough stats to be usable.

jynx

Er.../eh...
Years
VinegartheImposter said:
Grass is fairly popular, but as said before, too many disadvantages. Prolly poison is the most unpopular, though.
Agree.

What about dark? I hate dark pokemon.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Fire Master said:
I think the most popular is between Fire and Water

The unpopular ones are bug,grass and dark.

Dark is actually very popular. Umbreon is a good trap passer, and dark is proved as an anti-type to psychic. They have become even more popular with the addition of ones like Absol. They vital to the metagame. Their absence is what unbalanced RBY so much.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
grass is not that popular at all... more popular than poison but certainly less popular than bug... i'll say it's the 2nd most unpopular types due to type disadvantage and weak grass attacks... giga drain is just useless with so little PP and attack power isn't even that good at all... Leaf Blade is just elemental punch grass version... where's the ice beam/flamethrower/thunderbolt grass equivalent?

Stinger

Banned
Years
frostweaver said:
grass is not that popular at all... more popular than poison but certainly less popular than bug... i'll say it's the 2nd most unpopular types due to type disadvantage and weak grass attacks... giga drain is just useless with so little PP and attack power isn't even that good at all... Leaf Blade is just elemental punch grass version... where's the ice beam/flamethrower/thunderbolt grass equivalent?
Bug is way more un-popular than Grass.... but all this talk about Bug is probably making it more popular anyway.

Steel was always frowned upon for their lack of Speed, Special Attack, and Special Defense. When used right, they could be awesome though. You can always Gorebyss/Baton Pass Amnesia to make up for there Sp. Def, or you could Calm Mind to make two stats up, but Steel Rarely uses Sp. Attack

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Bug is a lot more popular than grass... let's comparable the usable bug and usable grass Pokemon then

Bug: Scizor, Heracross, Shedinja, Ninjask
Grass: the 3 starters, Exeggutor, Roselia

occassional bug: forretress (spike and blow, Osama's best friend)
occassional grass: victreebel, vileplume/bellosum

though it seems like grass types have a lot more usable Pokemon, remember to take their power into account too. Heracross has the classical salac berry reversal trick, with the almost monopolized megahorn with it. Scizor and Ninjask are both famous baton passer (and Scizor is pretty deadly too in attacking). Shedinja can signify the death date for you if you are not properly prepared.

The grass types can't do much in return. Victreebel is more a poison type as it never uses grass attacks (most of the time it's sword dance, synthesis, sludge bomb and return/HP something anyway) Exeggutor is used for powders, psychic then blow up. Vileplume/Bellosum without the assistance of hidden power can do absolutely nothing almost... and even with hidden power it can't last to all those ice beam and flamethrower out there. The new tm Aerial Ace demotes Grass type even further...

Roselia can do nothing but one turn of aromatherapy? it's defense is outrageously low... one return and roselia wilts. Sceptile is a special sweeper, but its stats doesn't make it do a very good job of it... it'll always be dragon claw, crunch and leaf blade for this guy so you know what's comming, and you know it's time for mirror coat/light screen... plus Sceptile suffers the same thing for Roselia just not so dramatical... low defense once again. Jumpluff is just a fast little puffball that does nothing but powders... however its sleep powder + leech seed can prove itself to be quite a contender. If sleep powder fails, it goes down as well... (x4 ice weakness... ahem...)

Venusaur and Meganium got the most staying power. Both having synthesis to heal, they can last quite a while unless it meets up ice beam, aerial ace or flamethrower. With the 2 barriers, and counter, Meganium can be very unpredicable and annoying. It uses earthquake and body slam very well too. However now with the introduction of EV, Meganium can no longer razor leaf and earthquake at the same time... Venusaur is one of those rare few who has a relatively low special attack compare to its grass type brothers and sisters. Since grass type are used as special attacker most of the time, it is not the most popular pick...

Bug types having so much elemental advantage and usable pokemon make it more popular than grass types. Bug types have an edge against the common dark, ghost and psychic types. While grass type has an edge on ground and water types mostly. However, ground and water types are usually taken cared of by surf, ice beam and thunderbolt (these common alternative methods) while bug is the only one who can handle these 3 commonly used types within the metagame.

Steel type is quite popular. Skarmory is the symbol of steel types, with some of the most annoying setup in the history of Pokemon... (stupid &*%!@ Spike!) Super high defense which proves itself to be very annoying. You may say that it has a low special defense so it'll be a push over, but an experienced player will know when to switch in and when to switch out... (something that i'm not good at) Magneton is a dangerous special sweeper. With an insane special attack, and thunderbolt STAB, along with HP Water to deal with ground types, it proves itself to be a dangerous foe. Good thing it's slow but nothing a Jolteon or Ninjask can't fix... Steel can also go physical sweep with Scizor and Steelix. I don't know about Registeel but with its high defense in both category it may prove itself to be one annoying staller...

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
Years
Don't you mean Meganium is the one lacking special attack? You also forgot to mention the popular spore + focus punching Breloom ^_^. Now THAT thing is a physical machine, if only it could learn Earthquake...

I find poison and ice to be infrequent picks. Because just about all water types can learn ice beam and ice itself has several weaknesses, ice usually isn't needed. Weezing was popular for awhile, but with poison itself being only offensive to Grass (god, everybody picks on grass types), it's not that popular a type.

Bug still isn't that great of a type, only Heracross can get the awesome megahorn. But Volbeat can breed signal beam onto a few other bugs. Still, I think bug needs a moderately strong and accurate TM move. Being strong to psychic and dark makes bug an awesome type. Sure, there's a a few good bugs, like heracross, the ninjas, armaldo, and the steel types, but still too many which are almost unusable.

I agree with Frostweaver about Grass needing a poweful, accurate move (preferably a TM so others can inherit it) that is similar to ice beam, etc. I've been saying this ever since the GS days, mainly because I was horrified by razor leaf's much lowered critical hit ratio, so it went from being one of the best attacks ever to just another crappy one. Grass types are sadly treated only as powder puffs and usually have a difficult time putting thier high special attacks to good use. Not to mention water types can easily beat grass with an ice beam. Not many people appreciate Grass being strong to some of the most commonly used offensive moves, water, electric, and ground. I guess the fire and ice scares them off o.O.

As for rarest types, definately ghost and dragon. Dragon itself is difficult to aquire, and ghosts are very few and far between. Steel and dark are rare-ish too, but you can find steel and dark early in the game (like poochyena, aron, sableye and mawile). In GSC though, the average non-trading player will probably catch almost no steel, dragon, or dark types (since the only darkie you can get before you reach kanto is umbreon and it's tough, unless you play crystal which has sneasel), but you can find a gastly right in the beginning.

As for least popular by favoritism... well, I've seen that Ground, Poison, Bug, and Fighting are generally disliked. But I love Fighting, and I like Ground's electric immunity.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Meganium is annoying enough with body slam, healing and the 2 barriers... if it has sp.att also then good gracious...

ice is a pretty popular pick- but only within the legendary realms. Regiice is an awesome pokemon with a high sp.def. Its supposedly weaker defense is still a solid 298. Having a powerful special attack, it can launches thunderbolts and ice beam very well (and no pokemon except Shedinja have resistance to both types). With curse to further buff up its physical defense, it proves itself to be quite a powerful special attacker/tank. Articuno follows a similar line with reflect and ice beam, but it doesn't have a powerful secondary sp.att (unlike Regiice who has thunberbolt) and the x4 rock weakness hurts too badly even with reflect... so it's not a common pick. Regiice is a living terror

I never consider Breloom as grass types... as it relies on brick break and return/HP whatever to dish out damage... i mean giga draining Breloom = a dead mushroom. Though it is technically a grass type i don't consider it as one. The only grass move it should ever learn is spore (who doesn't want spore? ^_^)

dragon and ghost maybe rare but very very commonly used. All of the dragons are in the usable realm, and this is true for ghost as well. Those annoying little bugger...

Bug types have tons of not usable ones like the poor but cute and beautiful beautifly.. Awww... :'( However just cause the majority of them aren't usable, that doesn't mean the whole bug type falls apart. The few "special" ones who are usable are enough to cause you more pain than you expected.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
It also doesn't hurt that Ice Beam takes down the popular Dragon Dancing Pok?mon, and Thunderbolt for Gyarados. It's easily overused. All the dragon dancers but Latios having a 4x weakness that Regice can exploit is key to it's overuse as well. It suffers from as frostweaver said, the Shedinja fate. Same thing that plagues Kyogre. Sure, Regice could pack Toxic or something, but Amnesia and Rest are much more popular for it.

As for Spore, I almost see no Smeargles, regardless of strategy, that do not pack Spore. With the sleep/freeze clause off, Spore quickly becomes the bane of your team.

Hey, remember some Pok?mon are good for UU. Sure, Ruby and Sapphire's metagame is just starting, but UU games can't be too far off. Gives some grass types more use. Alternate Heal Bellers were used in UU in GSC, who didn't get tired of Blissey/Miltank/Celebi?

If anything you can learn from GSC Gamefreak balanced it so in addition from the highest end gameplay, the little leaguers have their own metagame going on too. In a tournament though, you will see the same thing over and over. Roselia can do Spikes, but to get three Spikes off is hard for something with such poor defense and multiple weaknesses. You can get Aroma Therapy in, if you take advantage of switches. It's still not too good at it, for if you really need the healing, it may not be able to go out, take the hits, can get it off. Heal Bellers in GSC pretty much all had a recovery move, making them tanks and only limited by Heal Bell's PP.

Back