• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Origin

nmorr

Takin a brake. -_-
Years
....oh, well..(it's always sad to hear that people die..especially on the internet) but goodluck with continuing his work!

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
So you're calling yourself an excellent scripter =p? How modest... Anyways, I really see no future on this, sorry for being pessimistic but at the moment it is looking terrible, good quality tiles would look so much better. Also, if you ever finish this, the amound of lag generated will make playing painful... Anyways, here is a tip for you, that is something I learned myself. Don't spend too much time tweaking scripts etc. Develop the game, the plot. Event it. That way you have great chances of actually releasing something. There is no point on having many scripts and no game =/. Also having people playing your game/demo is a really recompensating feeling what inspires you to work even better on it. (Just noticed, the game has no plot... technically the game shouldn't even be in the showcase, since 15 lines of plot is a minimum to that...) If I was too harsh I'm sorry, but I think my point was made.

CollosalPokemon

What's next?
Years
I...didn't mean it that way JV. Maybe I should have been more clear, all I meant was that it's not plug-n-play and that people can't just jump into modifying NM7 without prior knowledge of pretty much all the mechanics in:

Game_Map
Spriteset_Map
(All 4 of the player classes)
RPG::Sprite
PokemonField
and all classes that have anything to do with tilemaps

"...if you ever finish this...(NeoMode7)" what's that supposed to mean? NM7 is fully functional and has been since I posted the (better than the first time) screens. Do you understand that it is completely possible that the lag can be annihilated? All it takes is anti aliasing the tiles along with minimizing script space. Moreover, it can be done and thus far all the framerate has been doing is going up on the times I do cleanups. I'm sorry JV, but just developing plots and events won't finish a game either, imagine if all of the game was playing through with systems every single essentials game has, albeit minor tweaks in maps and events, it'd be pretty much the same thing over, and over, and over. Yes but demos are often short, buggy, and annoying when people run up to you and say "OMGZ I found a bug on map [Insert Map Name Here] [Insert Problem Here]!!!" Okay, now your really trying to make me look bad, please look over the thread --- there is a plot...no...wait...THREE of them. (Which come together to be the main plot) I get your point, and I respect your output, but we have different views on the way games should be developed. I don't go over to Uranium's thread and say you should make more scripts for Uranium because I know you work hard on your maps and events, that's showing respect towards work habits. I know I don't have the best Graphical User Interface in the world, but we both work equally as hard on what we value.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
The thread looks great now, it's good you kept the black as it's unique and now matches. I wouldn't say the tilesets are ugly, they're just the normal ones, but stretched.. Some AA will fix that right up.

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
You know, I just said that as a suggestion, by saying "finish this" I meant getting it to actually look good and work smooth. Well, I never spent time fuzzing this kind of script but all experiences I had with them showed that they lag a lot even though I have a pretty fast machine with a good processor. Well about the plot, you only mention sinnoh is freezing because of Giratina and that TG somehow kidnapped it and the hero will fix it all. you know, it would be cool to see something more detailed.

CollosalPokemon

What's next?
Years
@> Peeky Chew and JV:

The game actually runs smoothly, it's not choppy at all. As for the looks I finally found exactly where the problem is with the tiles and how to antialias them. The issue was a single line in the middle of hundreds of lines of the scripts. =/ But anyways it's located and should be fixed in a hour or so since it needs to be recalculated. I'll update with pictures of the improved version then too.

CollosalPokemon

What's next?
Years
@> Everybody,

Small update (points towards tomorrow :P). What could this be?

snapshot0001.png

btw the screen is using a newly modified version of poccil's screenshot script: now it can control which screen (or the whole window) is in the screenshot for debug mode based on the location of my mouse. Not much but I thought I'd note why this screenshot looks different than the previous ones.

CollosalPokemon

What's next?
Years
News at last ^^

First, the reveal of what was posted last night (although it wasn't hard to guess) :

capture140.bmp
capture141.bmp
capture142.bmp
capture143.bmp

A slot machine :D I've finished the calculations for it so it's fully functional (and animated) with smooth transitioning. Also I've managed to create a powerful antilag for NM7, now it is much less laggy and runs a lot better than 5 FPS. (even with the extended classes I've added)

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
If you want a future with programming Official Nintendo Pokemon Games, I suggest picking up on C++ ASAP and work your butt off in HS through college

CollosalPokemon

What's next?
Years
@> davidthefat:

Uhh I don't remember saying specifically that I wanted to program for OPGs but it's one option. Yes Origin uses Official Pkmn Graphics but what pokemon game has absolutely no relation to Official Pokemon Games?

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
Now that is awesome CP. Looks very clean of which I can tell with have a nice run within the game. It really does bug me how david keeps trying to make people learn C++, to be honest not many people would care as they are just making a fan game for fun and to entertain others :P

CollosalPokemon

What's next?
Years
News at last.

Over the past few days I have been developing a SUPER POWERFUL antilag for NM7 and it's finally complete. The game now runs at 40 FPS WITH 3D regardless of how many events are on the map (zero lag, nada, nix, whatever you'd like to say) so now the game runs with epic smoothness even under conditions that should make it extremely laggy. I'll have a video very soon to prove my "no lag" statements too.

Also, so I don't leave you guys hanging with just claims, I have begun work on the game corner map with enhanced 3D over the previous shots (and different tiles too) :

screenshot0001.png

I am working on something that will take this 3D to the next level, something big that I cannot spoil just yet but for now you can enjoy the screenshots of the current engine :)

~ CP

Years
3D and indoors just doesn't seem to go well together. It almost looks as if its trying to turn itself into an Isometric view. If I were you, I would just stick to 3D outdoors and not indoors.

CollosalPokemon

What's next?
Years
@> Soul.//Silver

Will look into that but I dunno yet because of the special thing I am working on, it should be able to make indoors look better and be in 3D...

---------------------------------------------------------

Antialiasing complete and no one would believe how hard it is to do it in NM7 (As you can see the edges are straight, not jagged) :

screenshot0005j.png

Although now it looks more 2D than 3D...or at least to me it does. But I am now able to create custom textures for 3D objects (props to Krän for inventing the algorithm a while ago, enhanced for better performance now) The screenshot doesn't depict anything really except for antialiasing though but I thought I'd note how some things may change ;)

~ CP

EDIT: Old image seemed to be down, fixed.

Last edited:

CollosalPokemon

What's next?
Years
heh heh a bit of an update at last.

screenshot0013.png

I have been reworking a lot of MGC's methods for NM7 and I got to a pretty cool point where many of the tiles look almost like real 3D objects. (As demonstrated by the trees)

~ CP

CollosalPokemon

What's next?
Years
Actually there was, but with antialiasing it looks near completely 2D :

screenshot0005j.png

I posted this earlier and it did show up for a while, dunno why it isn't showing up today. (You can see it was, at one point, visible because of Soul.//Silver's post saying he saw it and it looked 2D) There are several reasons besides the 2D feel that I am thinking about coming up with a new idea for antialiasing...but so far that is the only one that seems to (kind of) work correctly.

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2010
Your game still lacks the visual attractiveness. Why are you making it so pixelated. Is it too hard to replicate just a normal DS resolution if you are aiming for the dual screen? If you cant do that then use the GBA resolution or anything, but this is just hurtful for the eyes. your bottom screen menu is also dumbly streched...it just makes it look bad. How about ripping the graphics from the roms properly if you can custom make your own?

Back