• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it pretty lame that Pikachu lost to Cress and Trip?

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
Pikachu has fought so much times, he won all the time, and this time, he loses to Cress. Mud Sport prevents Electric Type attacks, but Pikachu can use Iron Tail and Quick Attack to defeat Panpour, and yet he loses. WTH? A LV 100 vs a LV 14. Same for Trip's Snivy, he lost to a new trainer with a LV 5-15 Snivy(that knows Leaf Tornado), it was really embarrassing. Ash won once against Trip, but Pikachu loses to other Pokemon lower than his level.

Last edited:

NidoJosh

Unleash your inner Nidocity
Years
Well it is sort of stupid but I don't think that levels even really exist in the anime?
Chances are even if they did Cress's pokemon would be a much higher level.. after all he is a Gym Leader. That level was just put on because it was the very early stages of the game and you can't expect a low level to win against a level 100 pokemon...

Pokemon just seem to evolve when ever they are ready or need to regardless of how many battles they have won/lost.
Plus there are other things as opposed to just the pokemon's "stats" in the anime. There are its will, feelings etc which also impact greatly on its performance in battles rather than just moves, nature, IVs etc

Well it is sort of stupid but I don't think that levels even really exist in the anime?
Chances are even if they did Cress's pokemon would be a much higher level.. after all he is a Gym Leader. That level was just put on because it was the very early stages of the game and you can't expect a low level to win against a level 100 pokemon...

Pokemon just seem to evolve when ever they are ready or need to regardless of how many battles they have won/lost.
Plus there are other things as opposed to just the pokemon's "stats" in the anime. There are its will, feelings etc which also impact greatly on its performance in battles rather than just moves, nature, IVs etc

Last edited:

Volcanix769

Years

I never said anything about evolution.

NidoJosh

Unleash your inner Nidocity
Years
Yeah I added something in later and that got out of place.
It was basically about my level point. How they don't play a big role in the anime as seen through pokemon evolving at different rates

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
I agree with you here. Considering that Pikachu have defeated 20 gym leaders (Kanto to Sinnoh plus Orange Islands), actually offered to become a Frontier Brain, and he can't defeat the first gym leader of the region. i think this is the producer's way of keeping the series alive. if pikachu is uber strong already, fans would not want 100 episodes of Pikachu winning. there is just no story behind that. also, if we could picture out, Ash's other Pokemon whom he always leave never downgrade.

Volcanix769

Years
I agree with you here. Considering that Pikachu have defeated 20 gym leaders (Kanto to Sinnoh plus Orange Islands), actually offered to become a Frontier Brain, and he can't defeat the first gym leader of the region. i think this is the producer's way of keeping the series alive. if pikachu is uber strong already, fans would not want 100 episodes of Pikachu winning. there is just no story behind that. also, if we could picture out, Ash's other Pokemon whom he always leave never downgrade.

He "won" 32, some wins are by how Gym leaders view on what Ash has did, Erika and Brock did. And yes I do agree.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
This is nothing new same thing happened with he tied with Paul Elekid right after he beat Regice. Then lost to Roark whereas Paul won. They have set a trend where they reset so the writers having Pikachu lose isn't really out of ordinary to me. Lame yes, surprising no.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 11, 2020
It's pathetic. Say whatever you want, but the animator people over in Japan totally dumbed down the storyline

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I'll admit that I haven't watched BW at any point, or most of AG or DP, but I will comment from these statements that from the little I've heard of them they are really doing badly in terms of storyline. The only improvements I could think of for BW is that they stopped the skirt chasing gag and they made Team Rocket somewhat more of a threat than before, and maybe Iris not being a FAS, that's it. Even then, that's pretty much because Brock was removed when they could have just tried to, you know, actually alter his personality to not be a Charlie Harper kind of person, or heck, actually have Team Rocket at least try to beat a pokemon that is a rookie, as that would have been more than enough to prove they are more dangerous than before (since their first actual loss, barring Episode 2, was against a Caterpie that was not only completely inexperienced but also at critical health, that would have been a perfect way to show they aren't fooling around anymore), and its still undecided as to whether she is definitively not a FAS (She'd need to be in a situation with FAS's where she doesn't react like them, similar to how Misty didn't react with the FAS's in Princess vs. Princess).

Ash was completely butchered in this series, essentially. He's currently losing at battles that he should be able to beat at a whim, not to mention that at least in the first episode from what I heard, he's actually making rookie mistakes. "Pokemon Master", by this rate, he's becoming the worst trainer ever. At least in DP, he actually seemed like he knew what he was doing. And as evidenced by what Pikachu had to lose against (which isn't entirely BW's fault, as it happened in DP and AG as well, but it is still at least partially BW's fault), this is getting way out of hand. Honestly, the writers/animators either need to get their act together and actually demonstrate that Ash is a veteran, even if it meant giving him something of a Solid Snake-esque personality, or they have to replace him with someone new. And for the record, its also not benefitting the target age group (little kids) either, as AG's ratings sank below the original series, and DP's ratings similarly sunk below even AG's, and I predict that BW's ratings will inevitably sink even further. The only other possibility to the ratings sinking among even the target audience is if Japan is experiencing a birth decline, and its obvious that they aren't.

Volcanix769

Years
I'll admit that I haven't watched BW at any point, or most of AG or DP, but I will comment from these statements that from the little I've heard of them they are really doing badly in terms of storyline. The only improvements I could think of for BW is that they stopped the skirt chasing gag and they made Team Rocket somewhat more of a threat than before, and maybe Iris not being a FAS, that's it. Even then, that's pretty much because Brock was removed when they could have just tried to, you know, actually alter his personality to not be a Charlie Harper kind of person, or heck, actually have Team Rocket at least try to beat a pokemon that is a rookie, as that would have been more than enough to prove they are more dangerous than before (since their first actual loss, barring Episode 2, was against a Caterpie that was not only completely inexperienced but also at critical health, that would have been a perfect way to show they aren't fooling around anymore), and its still undecided as to whether she is definitively not a FAS (She'd need to be in a situation with FAS's where she doesn't react like them, similar to how Misty didn't react with the FAS's in Princess vs. Princess).

Ash was completely butchered in this series, essentially. He's currently losing at battles that he should be able to beat at a whim, not to mention that at least in the first episode from what I heard, he's actually making rookie mistakes. "Pokemon Master", by this rate, he's becoming the worst trainer ever. At least in DP, he actually seemed like he knew what he was doing. And as evidenced by what Pikachu had to lose against (which isn't entirely BW's fault, as it happened in DP and AG as well, but it is still at least partially BW's fault), this is getting way out of hand. Honestly, the writers/animators either need to get their act together and actually demonstrate that Ash is a veteran, even if it meant giving him something of a Solid Snake-esque personality, or they have to replace him with someone new. And for the record, its also not benefitting the target age group (little kids) either, as AG's ratings sank below the original series, and DP's ratings similarly sunk below even AG's, and I predict that BW's ratings will inevitably sink even further. The only other possibility to the ratings sinking among even the target audience is if Japan is experiencing a birth decline, and its obvious that they aren't.

I SO agree. That's why I stopped watching the anime.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
Well to be fair Ash and Pikachu were caught off guard when they fought Trip. As foir Cress levels don't matter its experience and I believe Cress is a bit older then Cilan and Ash so he has more skill. Besides I think if Pikachu was shown to be Chuck Norris all the time it would be boring.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
Years
in my opinion, i think the strategies utilized by Pikachu's opponents were his downfall. And Pikachu did NOT defeat the last pokemon on every Gym Battle... I remember that episode on DP during Ash's and Volkner's battle, Luxray was Volkner's last Pokemon and was defeated by Ash's Infernape. And his Buizel defeated Wake's Floatzel. I never watched the B/W series but I think it's skill and strategy that matters in battles, not level.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
As for Paul's Elekid. The Pokemon could of been a very high level but it evolves via friendship. Something Paul never showed his Pokemon much. Maybe when it did evolved it did due to seeing the bond between Ash and his pokemon learning what a true bond is and it gave him hope for his trainer.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
The only other possibility to the ratings sinking among even the target audience is if Japan is experiencing a birth decline, and its obvious that they aren't.

While I agree with most of what I read of of your post, this actually isn't true. Japan's population is an ageing one, where the percentage of elderly people are starting to grow and the birth rate is in decline.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
Sometimes level has nothing to do with battling at times, it is more like strategy now and some of the moves that Ash uses for his Pokemon aren't that good for the particular Pokemon he is going against. It's kind of like when he goes against Team Rocket, majority of the time, Pikachu wins and that is because Team Rocket has no strategy when it comes to battling whereas more serious trainers do have a strategy.

:t354:TG

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
It may just be me, but what happened to the direction they took during the Johto Saga?
There Ash was really continuing his journey in a sense that the viewers felt like they were watching someone who has experience as a Pokemon Trainer. He was simply building on his experience during that time. after that it seems like every new saga starts ash gets a complete reboot and seems like hes a totally new and raw trainer that has just started his journey. anyways i agree with some views up there stating that levels dont exist in the anime and its more down to technique and strategy. Ash should have more experience than trip without a doubt so losing is still unacceptable at this point.

p/s my 90th post... wow how the years have past.

Back