• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I have a stupid question that i'm pretty sure I know the answer to already, but is there away to add more memory to your ROM? I have a very bad feeling that I will run out of varibales and offsets eventually if I make my game. I just don't want to be in half way through my game then realise that I can't make anymroe because I have ran out of variables and memory.

If you run out of variables you can always allocate some free space for custom variables and use writebytetooffset.

Also, you can expand your ROM if you want (there's actually tools to do it), but from what I've heard, it's a risky process.

Mr. Whiscash

Unegged Hatch
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2016
Is there an easy way to edit the evolution method of a Pokemon in Platinum? Because it turns out the tool I'm using has the evolution method window just for show.

Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum, but here goes:
How can I insert resized DS Pokemon sprites into, say, Fire Red?
- I want three of the starter choices from the DS games as the starter choices in one of my hacks - a 'this is how I want to play' type hack, not a total rewrite like Shiny Gold -

I tried using the Search function, but for some reason, it didn't show any results for inserting sprites, nevermind where to look for them.

Turtwig, Piplup, Emboar and their evolutions, if anyone is wondering - I want ones that ultimately have two Types.

Last edited:

ep!c

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2015
All LZ77 compressed graphics can be inserted with the UNLZ oder NLZ GBA.
The Pokémon must be located in the UNLZ somewhere around 1200-1400..

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Hey I have a problem. I just installed a new window yesterday and I updated my .NET framework but I am having a problem to run these programs:

NSE( both classic and 2.X)
YAPE
All the editors in the Wichu Sprite Editor series

It shows an error report. Can someone help me? They were working fine on the previous Windows

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
All LZ77 compressed graphics can be inserted with the UNLZ oder NLZ GBA.
The Pokémon must be located in the UNLZ somewhere around 1200-1400..

That is probably the hardest way to do it besides hex editing them in yourself:p.

I know you have been gone for a while, so I'll let you know that Wichu released a set of Pokemon sprite editors called the Advance Series. These work amazing for sprites of just pokemon, and the sprites are not required to be indexed:D. For other sprites, NSE Classic and NSE 2.X can handle just about any compressed or uncompressed image, provided you know the location of their image and palette.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Here is the error image I am getting:

W62UKvI.png

This is same on all these programs

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
I am using Windows XP SP3 and I have tried the older .NET Frameworks plus it worked on the old Windows

Try redownloading the programs, it should work properly I think. I had this problem before and the only thing that fixed it is by downloading an older version of .NET Framework.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Try redownloading the programs, it should work properly I think. I had this problem before and the only thing that fixed it is by downloading an older version of .NET Framework.

Ok thanks, I will try it.

EDIT: I tried the old framework and bang, it worked again. Thanks a lot tajaros!

Last edited:
Years
So...I want to edit the text of Oak's tutorial battle in A-text, but when I did my game glitched out and crashed. I tried it again with special text marked but it didn't help...

I did repoint a few of the strings...is that the problem? Or is it something else?

Having looked at the code which takes care of this, I can tell you you're nearly 100% right. The code is pretty simple, it checks the flags which are tied to the badges, and branches if they're set. It then compares the Pokémon's level against a hard coded value, which would be easy to change with a simple hex edit. It then performs a random if the Pokémon's OTID doesn't match yours. If I remember right, it's a weighted random. That is, the higher over the level cap, the more likely it is to disobey. However, what would be better would be rewriting if to support more flags and level caps. Reading from tables is always a good way to support such extendability.

So...basically I need to be able to ASM Hack to do it?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
So...I want to edit the text of Oak's tutorial battle in A-text, but when I did my game glitched out and crashed. I tried it again with special text marked but it didn't help...

I did repoint a few of the strings...is that the problem? Or is it something else?

A-Text causes many problems if you repoint stuff.
If you want to edit the text with the use of that tool, then you need to stay within the available character limit.

If you really need to put a longer text, then you need to manually repoint his dialogue through hex editing.

ep!c

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2015
To find the routine requires NOT ASM skills.
To interprate the routine requires it neither too maybe, because its maybe one single number for the level..

Years

A-Text causes many problems if you repoint stuff.
If you want to edit the text with the use of that tool, then you need to stay within the available character limit.

If you really need to put a longer text, then you need to manually repoint his dialogue through hex editing.

Ok, thanks for that info. I'll just shorten what I had to say.

You need to have ASM skills to find it. From there it is just simple byte changes with a hex editor. I plan on giving this more of a look when I find the time.

I greatly appreciate it sir.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Hi guys, I am wondering if there is anyway to ADD new map banks. I know there are over 100 of them but is there a way to add new ones without having to modify them. Eg: If I change PALLET TOWN the town name changes all the map names. Does this make sense? Or can I add new map headers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back