• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGGray6

Huge PokeFan
Years
is it worth paying more for platinum?

I'm getting one of the three and I want to know if it is worth paying the extra couple dollars for platinum. this is the only generation i have never finished.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Yes, definitely. Platinum is a sizeable step up from Diamond and Pearl. Not only is surfing speed faster and there are expanded areas of Sinnoh for you to enjoy, but there's more fire types! Spending the extra few dollars to get Platinum over D&P is definitely a wise move and I'm sure many if not all will tell you to do the same. They're great games either way though, so it's ultimately your choice but I'd highly suggest you buy Platinum. :)

Years
^ Actually, in HGSS, after you've defeated the Radio Tower executives, you can call various trainers on the Pokégear depending on the time of day, and they'll rematch you. You can do this as many times as possible in the given period of time. That's how I did a good chunk of my training in my Wedlocke, especially before the Elite Four, and Red.

Years
  • Age 39
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 29, 2016
Which game?

I haven't played anything beyond Generation 3, but I'm interested in playing Generation 4. Now the question becomes, which game should I start with? I saw a poll where it was pretty much 50-50 between the HG/SS vs. D/P/Pl.

Are there any Pokemon from the previous generations or is it strictly Generation 4 Pokemon only?

Years
I haven't played anything beyond Generation 3, but I'm interested in playing Generation 4. Now the question becomes, which game should I start with? I saw a poll where it was pretty much 50-50 between the HG/SS vs. D/P/Pl.

Are there any Pokemon from the previous generations or is it strictly Generation 4 Pokemon only?

Have you at least googled the games? I assume not since you're asking if a Gen 2 game remake has any Pokemon except for Gen 4 Pokemon.

Google the games and see if you want a remake or a completely new thing.

Years
  • Age 39
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 29, 2016
Have you at least googled the games? I assume not since you're asking if a Gen 2 game remake has any Pokemon except for Gen 4 Pokemon.

Google the games and see if you want a remake or a completely new thing.

Seems like HG/SS are better to play than D/P/Pl. Although both seem to very good.

You're right. I hadn't done much research into the games. I just wasn't sure where to start. Sounds like all five had their strong points. Though more people are raving about HG/SS more so than D/P/Pl.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Sep 5, 2014
EV Question

I know how EV's work, but I have a question.
In the very beginning of Diamond, when you get your starting pokemon, a battle with a Starly is a scripted event. Does this battle count towards your EV count, as in do I get the 1 EV for Speed from fighting the Starly?
And as a side note, what nature should I want for my Chimchar :p
Thanks in advance!

Years
Seems like HG/SS are better to play than D/P/Pl. Although both seem to very good.

You're right. I hadn't done much research into the games. I just wasn't sure where to start. Sounds like all five had their strong points. Though more people are raving about HG/SS more so than D/P/Pl.

Google the game and usually somewhere on the top there should be a link to the bulbapedia which has the best descriptions imo.

Also avoid Diamond and Pearl, they are much slower and have some issues compared to platinum. Honestly, the only reason why I'd get them is to fill up the pokedex (unless you have previous game like Emerald or FireRed from which you can transfer Pokemon) or to get Darkrai and Shaymin through a glitch AKA tweaking.

I won't go into details but both games have good stuff which the other one doesn't. Platinum has Pokeradar and Poketch. Story is amazing, a bit short for my taste, Distortion world is ABSOLUTELY flawless. Music is probably my favorite out of all the games I've played from main series (or at least somewhere on the top), and places are memorable, they are not random places made just to fill up the region.

Soulsilver on the other hand has something unbeatable and it is a following Pokemon (Platinum has that too, but only in one park), it also has two regions, a great(!) story because Team Rocket is the best villain team ever, an a*s rival you won't feel sorry beating, music is amazing too. Sadly it's missing poketch and pokeradar but you can eventually buy both games to experience all of it.

So honestly? Buy both, they aren't that expensive and you can get them cheap. In case you are planning to game the rest of the games, Black/White/2/X/Y, play Platinum then Soulsilver/HG. That's how I did it. I played all the games that way I could intertwine nostalgia and new stuff. If you played in Kanto or Johto before, Soulsilver might be a bit dull as you will know what happens. Platinum should be "fresh" enough, so by the time you're finished, Soulsilver will seem fresh enough and you might even forget some story parts, then Black/White and so on.
Ofc, the only downside of this is that after Platinum you will be used to the new graphics, so this huge step between Crystal/Firered and Soulsilver/HG wont be so stunning.

There, my answer stays the same as before, I just added some details. If you want new stuff, go with platinum first, if you want childhood memories, go with SS/HG first.

My ultimate advice is to play it slowly and enjoy the game :)
Pce

Years
  • Age 39
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 29, 2016
There, my answer stays the same as before, I just added some details. If you want new stuff, go with platinum first, if you want childhood memories, go with SS/HG first.

My ultimate advice is to play it slowly and enjoy the game :)
Pce

Thanks for the insight, Sven. Sounds like D/P don't quite measure to Platinum and SS/HG. I already have FireRed and LeafGreen. I might get Emerald as well. I may or may not do the same with the Gen 4 games.

I have no interest in going past Generation 4.

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2016
HHSS guides?

Hey guys, I'm sorta new to this site and I could very well be in the wrong spot for this type of question and if so please don't ragesmash my face!! Lol anyways does ANYONE know where in the world I can download the hgss game guides? I used to have them on my old phone but I got mad at my wife and threw it at a wall and it broke :( please help me.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
Tips for breeding the perfect Pichu? I have obtained a Light Ball, and I have plenty of time and room for eggs and stuff. Any tips for getting the perfect one? (Good nature, moves [other than volt tackle] IVs, etc) I am pretty new to breeding for specific stats and moves. Any help would be appreciated.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
Thanks for the insight, Sven. Sounds like D/P don't quite measure to Platinum and SS/HG. I already have FireRed and LeafGreen. I might get Emerald as well. I may or may not do the same with the Gen 4 games.

I have no interest in going past Generation 4.

I agree with previous posters - get Platinum, then HG/SS. I don't have platinum, but I have both diamond and pearl (which I have thoroughly enjoyed) but Platinum has everything they have to offer and much more. Also, if you don't have Emerald, I also recommend that one over R/S, for the same reasons that Platinum is superior to D/P.

Years
  • Age 39
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 29, 2016
I agree with previous posters - get Platinum, then HG/SS. I don't have platinum, but I have both diamond and pearl (which I have thoroughly enjoyed) but Platinum has everything they have to offer and much more. Also, if you don't have Emerald, I also recommend that one over R/S, for the same reasons that Platinum is superior to D/P.

What does Platinum offer that Diamond/Pearl don't? Is it a better overall experience?

I like the idea of having LeafGreen/FireRed, Emerald, Platinum and HeartGold/SoulSilver.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
What does Platinum offer that Diamond/Pearl don't? Is it a better overall experience?
Platinum has a better selection of Pokemon available (there are hardly any fire types in D/P for example), the Distortion World, a slightly better post-game, it has Looker and I believe that it gives you a slightly better look at Cyrus as well, and the Surfing speed isn't slow as hell in Platinum. You can also rematch Gym Leaders in the post-game.

Years
  • Age 39
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 29, 2016
I know this is a dumb question but with the DS do you need a link cable to trade Pokemon like on the gameboy?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I know this is a dumb question but with the DS do you need a link cable to trade Pokemon like on the gameboy?
Nope, no link cable or such is needed. You can only trade or battle locally though; WiFi service for the DS and Wii was shut down months ago, so not internet trades with people living far away.

Years
  • Age 39
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 29, 2016
Nope, no link cable or such is needed. You can only trade or battle locally though; WiFi service for the DS and Wii was shut down months ago, so not internet trades with people living far away.

If I had 2 DS's, could those trade with each other? How does that work exactly?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
If I had 2 DS's, could those trade with each other? How does that work exactly?
Yup, you can do that. You just have to go into the Union Room (assuming 4th gen games) on the 2nd floor of a Pokemon Center and you can trade with yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back