• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

[MtG] A lone thread

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
Seems like no one posted anything related to it here ):

I was wondering if anybody here played Magic the Gathering or not

If you do answer the following questions if you feel like doing so, if not, skip to the last bullet point.

• If so, what deck format do you run? What kind of deck do you use?
• How often do you play?
• What is your opinion on Magic the Gathering?

To answer my own questions:
• I run a Mono Red Burn deck in the Vintage format
• I don't play very often since I don't have many friends to play with
• I think it's a pretty cool game with really good art. My only complaint would have to be all the effects you have to remember.

This kind of sounds like a survey, sorry.
And if this breaks any rules here that I somehow was not aware of, feel free to close it.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
I generally play Mill in Limited formats, usually booster drafts. I used to have a modern mill deck back when it was standard, but it shifted out and I haven't touched it since. I used to play casual every day, but it ended up kinda fading out. Did limited for the longest time til I ran out of money to casually spend on Magic, so I'm currently on break. The new Ravniva block looks really nice and i want to collect it just for the artwork, but it's all on dual-lands which cost so much ;_;

Overall, it's a pretty well-made game, though recently they've been on a bit of a power creep. It's really nice that they've gone back into a simple theme in Ravnica with the two-color clans.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
I generally play Mill in Limited formats, usually booster drafts. I used to have a modern mill deck back when it was standard, but it shifted out and I haven't touched it since. I used to play casual every day, but it ended up kinda fading out. Did limited for the longest time til I ran out of money to casually spend on Magic, so I'm currently on break. The new Ravniva block looks really nice and i want to collect it just for the artwork, but it's all on dual-lands which cost so much ;_;

Overall, it's a pretty well-made game, though recently they've been on a bit of a power creep. It's really nice that they've gone back into a simple theme in Ravnica with the two-color clans.

I don't like Mill decks, they mill all my damage cards.

Hmm, I haven't been keeping up with MTG lately so I've no idea what the new set looks like :P

Vintage RDW?! Patrick Sullivan suggests maindeck Searing Blaze.

I am an avid reader of various strategy articles, though I'm too poor to actually play anything other than EDH and my cube ... oh well. I also play limited from time to time.

I actually have 3 Searing Blaze in my deck so I'm covered there.

Random question time:
Who's Patrick Sulliven? What's cube? Is that a deck type? How are tournaments?

Also, it's a shame this part of the forums get so little traffic.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
Years
A cube is basically a limited format where you make your own set and so on and then draft it. (Tons of replay value and oodles of fun! etc.) Patrick Sullivan is a decently well-known Red mage in the tournament scene - and friend of Mike Flores. As for tournaments, I am really happy to see so many cool cards in the tournament scene right now being used from the RTR block (things like Sphinx's Revelation is being played in ... 4-color midrange?!).

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
I enjoy mill decks for the alternate victory conditions (Poison counters don't count. After killing people too fast with infect, it kinda got boring =_=). Plus the color combo lets me play a bit of control on top of that. My favorite colors have always been Red, Blue and Black, so it's relatively compatible with my playstyle.

A cube is basically a limited format where you make your own set and so on and then draft it. (Tons of replay value and oodles of fun! etc.) Patrick Sullivan is a decently well-known Red mage in the tournament scene - and friend of Mike Flores. As for tournaments, I am really happy to see so many cool cards in the tournament scene right now being used from the RTR block (things like Sphinx's Revelation is being played in ... 4-color midrange?!).

One of the guys here played that 5 color Omniscience Door deck. That deck looks so fun but so expensive.

Enter the Infinite + Omniramp -> =_= o O (........................)

Last edited:

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
Years
Yeah, Enter the Infinite will definitely be very cool in Omniscience.dek (if only in Legacy, when combined with Burning Wish - but I suspect if Omniscience combo is playable in standard it will be good there as well) - in fact Show and Tell -> Omniscience is actually a solid deck because of Emrakul, Griselbrand, et cetera.

Years
I run W/U control in Standard format
Like 10 times a week on a good week.
I think it's one of the best card games out, and I think it will be there until the end of time.

Sir Codin

Been playing Magic the Gathering quite a while now; can't wait for Gatecrash.

Anyway, for a while, I've been doing Red/Blue burn/control decks, but since Izzet seems hard to manage in the metagame, I've switched to making Aggro rush decks.

Rakdos is looking like my new best friend this time around.

Years
I have quite a few decks I like to use in MTG. My favourite has to be my B/R standard (I think, it might be modern idk) vampire deck. I'm just a few cards away from making it perfect!
I'm also running a colourless legacy artifact deck and a W modern soldier deck that I'm really enjoying playing though.

I only started playing in late November, early December but since I joined a tabletop society at my uni I've been playing it pretty much none stop and gotten pretty decent at it pretty quickly!

Last edited:

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
Guys I only logged on to TPC because I saw this MTG thread.

Dual lands are ruining the game. Now that we have two dual lands for every color, people are splashing every friggin' color in any given deck. Even though Innistrad is my favorite block so far, I desperately want it and M13 to cycle out so we are only left with Shocklands.

One of the guys here played that 5 color Omniscience Door deck. That deck looks so fun but so expensive.

Enter the Infinite + Omniramp -> =_= o O (........................)

Yeah, Enter the Infinite will definitely be very cool in Omniscience.dek (if only in Legacy, when combined with Burning Wish - but I suspect if Omniscience combo is playable in standard it will be good there as well) - in fact Show and Tell -> Omniscience is actually a solid deck because of Emrakul, Griselbrand, et cetera.

Eh, Enter the Infinite is an over-hyped card. It is only viable with Omniscience and is a complete dead draw until then. On top of that, once Omniscience is out, you most likely win anyway.

Omnidoor is a thing because it actually works. You ramp to five; Farseek / Ranger's Path gets you access to Overgrown Tomb for black mana. Four Increasing Ambition lets you either get the one copy of Omniscience or Door to Nothingness. You Flash Door to Nothingness on your opponent's end phase with Alchemist's Refuge and exile target player next turn with all the mana ramp you get from Gilded Lotus and Chromatic Lantern. If you picked up Omniscience, you have enough mana left over to flashback Increasing Ambition for Thragfire, to great and humorous effect.

You don't run Enter the Infinite here because you don't run counterspells and ETI makes you die to Sign in Blood. Omnidoor is really only a two-and-a-half color deck though. However, I'm fairly afraid to say that this deck isn't going to be as playable next set because aggro is only getting better.

Furthermore, Cirrus is very right about it being better in Legacy because of Burning Wish. But that's only because Enter the Infinite is a ****** maindeck card.

edit What the hell happened to my signature? :(

Last edited:
Years
Oh my god people.
Gatecrash.
So effing awesome.

Anybody else go to the prerelease?
How did you do?
What Guild did you choose?
What were your best pulls?

I went 2-2-0, it was okay, bad draws for the losses.
I chose Gruul, simply because I prefer really quick aggro decks, and Bloodrush is AMAZING!!
My first pack, I pulled Stomping Ground. That's about it.

I won two packs, and got squat.

Back