• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Extraterrestrial Intelligences

Sir Codin

(b) that life developed on earth as a combination of very rare terrestrial and spacial conditions and an unusually fortuitous meteor strike.
Rare, yes, but I don't think it's implausible that it could happen (or has already happened) somewhere else.

Or maybe I'm just simply indulging in wishful thinking.

Years
I just read another article a few days ago that said that NASA found a solar system with not one, but two planets with earth-like characteristics. Not sure how far away it is, but if we had the means, it'd be worth the visit I think.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
I just read another article a few days ago that said that NASA found a solar system with not one, but two planets with earth-like characteristics. Not sure how far away it is, but if we had the means, it'd be worth the visit I think.

Yes, I read about them as well. These two planets are about 1200 light years away from Earth (367.92 parsecs). They are circling around the sun-like star called Kepler-62 in the Lyra constellation, with three other planets.

I agree, a visit would be nice, but even at light speed, it would take many centuries to reach the planets. Even with warp technology, as depicted in the Star Trek series, the trip would take approximately 12 years. For now we will have to be content with using telescopes to visit these planets.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years

To send an orbiter there, 1,200 light years away, it'd take about 207,915 years.

The star Tau Ceti, a mere 12 light years away, is believed to have a planet in its habitable zone. It'd take, about, 2,079 years to reach that solar system with an orbiter.

There are some major problems though. The planet is barely in the habitable zone. There's also a debris disk surrounding Tau Ceti, meaning its five planets likely experience many celestial impacts.

To get to the main point of your thread though... I think you'll like this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2oXFWKpJiA

Rain Dancer

Wanderer
Years
For all we know they could already be here.

Perhaps so advanced that they could be visiting Earth as if it was some sort of zoo.

I don't expect anyone to believe, but my sources are close friends having experiences, and a sighting of my own.. Seemed like a ball of light, or some sort of probe, zipping and zigzagging all over the night sky.

Then there's mysteries like crop circles and ancient civilizations and their knowledge.

Yeah, mysteries. We have no idea yet what it could be.

tnfsf11

There just HAS to be E.T.(s) in the universe, I mean look we have a sun, planets consisted of different materials, and nearly endless space, why not?
Also, maybe lifeforms from other planets existed but had to migrate to Earth as it was a better resort? Maybe some micro-organisms that we know are actually from space? But that's just my crazy opinion...

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
The universe seems endless but it does have an end. However think about it: there are millions of galaxies out there, billions of unknown planets. People have claimed to see signs of extraterrestial intelligences (i.e. UFOs) and to think that we are the only ones seems foolish. I am absolutely sure there is another planet out there with some form of life on there, I mean as stated before there are countless planets. Surely at least one of them has life. So yes I believe in extraterrestial intelligences for the reasons above.

Guy

just a guy
Years
The universe is a vast space; I refuse to believe that earth is the only home to living things. There's so little that we actually know about our universe and what lies outside of our galaxy, that to completely deny the possibility of life outside Earth is foolish, as Narnia so politely stated above. Will we ever gain solid evidence of their existence? Probably not in this lifetime.

Melody

Banned
Years
I firmly believe that we are not alone in the universe. However, we must accept that within our lifetimes we may not meet with friendly, sentient extraterrestrial lifeforms.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I firmly believe that we are not alone in the universe. However, we must accept that within our lifetimes we may not meet with friendly, sentient extraterrestrial lifeforms.
If we ever do meet anything, I sure hope they're friendly XD

Years
History tells us that when two civilizations collide, the less advanced one usually gets conquered/destroyed/enslaved, so we better hope that we find them before they find us, haha.

DjentlemanJoe

A True Djentleman
Years
I've been watching too much pseudoscience in the form of Ancient Aliens to make a well rounded comment as this time.

I'm convinced there's other life. They have been here before and they continue to observe. They might even actively be amongst us.

I'd type more, but I cut my thumb open the other day so its somewhat taxing to have typed what I have thus far, given I'm using a Blackberry.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years
I'm convinced that there's life elsewhere in the universe. That thing is just too vast for earth being the only inhabited planet.

I am, however, not convinced that it's life as we know and defined it on earth. Most of the creatures that inhabit this planet, including mankind, mainly survive on O2 and H2O, but there have been bacteria found who thrive just as nicely on CH4 or other chemical compositions. I wouldn't be surprised if life existed on planets that don't have earthern (surface) conditions (like the composition of the atmosphere).

I can't say anything about their supposed intelligence, though. Intelligence is relative to begin with... What might be important in our society, might be redundant in theirs.

DjentlemanJoe

A True Djentleman
Years
How often I tell people intelligence is relative I can't emphasise enough.

There IS alien life, because we know that Bacteria has/does exist on other planets. In terms of 'intelligent', they might consider us advanced. We may never know.

How often I tell people intelligence is relative I can't emphasise enough.

There IS alien life, because we know that Bacteria has/does exist on other planets. In terms of 'intelligent', they might consider us advanced. We may never know.

Last edited:

Sir Codin

For all we know, the reason alien life hasn't visited us yet is because they've been monitoring our progress as a species and weren't impressed enough to visit.

Years
I'm convinced that there's life elsewhere in the universe. That thing is just too vast for earth being the only inhabited planet.

I am, however, not convinced that it's life as we know and defined it on earth. Most of the creatures that inhabit this planet, including mankind, mainly survive on O2 and H2O, but there have been bacteria found who thrive just as nicely on CH4 or other chemical compositions. I wouldn't be surprised if life existed on planets that don't have earthern (surface) conditions (like the composition of the atmosphere).

I can't say anything about their supposed intelligence, though. Intelligence is relative to begin with... What might be important in our society, might be redundant in theirs.

Maybe we're looking in the wrong places. Many times SETI looks for other planets in the proverbial "Goldilocks Zone" and for planets with earth-like atmospheric compositions. Maybe we should be widening our gaze. Like how Saturn's moon Titan has oodles of the organics necessary for life.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
Maybe we're looking in the wrong places. Many times SETI looks for other planets in the proverbial "Goldilocks Zone" and for planets with earth-like atmospheric compositions. Maybe we should be widening our gaze. Like how Saturn's moon Titan has oodles of the organics necessary for life.
The ESA sent a probe to Titan in 1997, it landed in 2005. It ceased functioning 90mins after touchdown. Here's the only image it captured on the surface of Titan.

Spoiler:

Joint ESA and NASA plans to go back have fallen through. Originally it was only put on the back burner to give priority to another joint mission aiming to explore Jupiter and its moon Europa. Both the plans appear to be up in the air, though. As NASA's budget is too low. The ESA is investigating taking the lead because of NASA's budget woes.

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
Years
I find it very hard to believe that UFO'S and aliens are real. I have not been convinced that they do exist, its just the current evidences don't seem to be efficient enough.

Back